Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I hope this leads to the utter collapse of the sharing economy
I wish people would stop calling it that since it's more the "LALALALA I'M NOT BREAKING THE LAW IF I CAN'T HEAR YOU" Economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Uber just paid $28M to settle a class-action lawsuit. (They probably found the money in the couch cushions.)

Ayup.
And this is just one lawsuit. That doesn't even touch all of the money they are spending to lobby cities/states to allow them to operate outside of standard regulations for taxis.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But it's always "do you have three year's experience? No? Then go away." It's like...if nobody wants to let you get experience then you don't get experienced employees.
This is seemingly happening in every industry now

Like in job searches I see secretarial jobs that are extremely basic where they still want 3-5 years' experience in that position to get it.

Post-2008 companies have little to no interest in training people at all, especially because they could get very experienced people to take jobs for way less because their old jobs no longer existed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah it's good for them, at least for the time being. It probably won't last.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I knew it would be a failure as soon as I got to the part where the company was endorsed by Larry Summers

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Let's also not forget that in situations like the Triangle factory the workers were literally locked in. The guy that ran the place decided he couldn't trust the women to actually do their jobs so he mandated that the doors be locked so they couldn't even try to leave early. None of them had a way out. This "regulations are bad let's destroy them" attitude is just so incredibly stupid. Generally speaking if a regulation exists it probably has roots in some rich guy being an rear end in a top hat somewhere between 50 and 200 years ago.
Wasn't this also the reason that buildings in NYC all had fire escapes installed? I'm pretty sure you ended up with women throwing themselves from several stories up out of windows in order to escape the fire.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Uber just got $3.5 billion from Saudi Arabia's public investment fund, which makes them the company's largest investor now

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/02/t...v=top-news&_r=0

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A federal judge rejected a proposed class-action settlement between Uber and a group of its drivers that had sued them a few years back. The judge believed the proposed $100 million settlement does not nearly come close to being an accurate amount of what damages occurred.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/19/t...v=top-news&_r=0

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Atlanta's "Solution" is to build more toll lanes.

gently caress you Atlanta. gently caress you.
They're doing the same crap here in Orlando....rebuild the main highway (I-4) but also add toll lanes. Every other highway in this town is a toll road. It's hell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gawker dug their own grave. They on many occasions have done completely irresponsible things like outing a closeted married gay man for no reason (he was not a public figure or anti-gay, and when people pointed this out the writer claimed that it was a legitimate story because he's related to Tim Geithner). In the Hogan case they had many opportunities to end the whole thing but refused. I can't really feel too bad for a company run by idiots.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I hope they go out of business purely to stop the push of businesses to act like regulations shouldn't apply to them

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Isn't Amazon still planning to open brick and mortar stores or did that get canned?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I appreciate the part about her traveling with four bodyguards at all times who refer to her as 'Eagle 1' like she's the goddamn POTUS

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

We have to be pretty close to the 'startup bubble' popping, right? Even the darlings of startups like Airbnb and Uber are basically making money off of breaking the law, which as we see with Uber is costing them an insane amount in litigation and lobbying.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Interestingly enough, most AirBnBs that actually get used are commercially-owned.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/vancouvers-top-airbnb-earners-are-commercial-hosts-research/article30324477/

There are definitely people who rent out all or part of their home, but they only account for about 5% of AirBnB stays by revenue.

E: at least in Vancouver, but that article mentions similar research in New York.
I think an article came out about that being the case in a lot of major cities.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Every drat time I've had to take a cab from the airport here in Orlando it's a taxi that has no suspension left. Like I never get car sick but I have the times I've been in these cabs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

How dare you guys forget AskJeeves

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm sure both companies are loving this. Like I get the idea but it's not cool to cross picket lines like that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Moatman posted:

Nah, the city's trying to sue to make them work on election day and the person in USPOL who said that misread the statement. As of right now it's denied but apparently there's another court date tomorrow
The union came to an agreement early this morning so the strike is over

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That's the smartest thing I've seen from AirBnB yet

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I see they are staking their business on those spy glasses? Didn't exactly work for Google..

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

It's worse than just temp work. Temp work comes with rights as an employee. You sign up as a freelancer. Since they aren't directly hiring you they aren't on the hook for your benefits and neither are the companies that are hiring you.
Considering Obamacare is probably dead sometime next year I'm wondering if that could severely curtail interest in these dumb 'gig' jobs. These all seemed to start after Obamacare.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

I think there's a stronger case that the gig economy increased because of bad employment prospects. Wages have been stagnant since the 1980s. The notion of a company being loyal to its employees died out sometime in the 90s. The burden of training has fallen on prospective employees who take on a lot of debt or perform a lot of unpaid work to demonstrate their ability to perform basic tasks. Heck, the phrase permalance was coined in 2007 when Bush was still in office.
Yes it's a combination of factors, but prior to Obamacare a lot of people stayed in jobs they didn't necessarily like because otherwise it was basically impossible to get healthcare coverage.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

IIRC the Fed have already said they're raising rates in December.
Yes and if you add to that a very unstable political situation here and a very high likelihood that the GOP pulls a lot of government money out of the economy and kills healthcare for many people, it's going to be hard not to see a burst bubble in 2017.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The rumor is that the pre-existing condition thing will only apply for a certain period and then it will be back to the glory days of rejecting people for dumb reasons. Supposedly if you say, change jobs under this revised system, you would be fair game to get rejected or pay out the rear end because that ban would not apply unless you stay in your current job

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I was really glad to read that. The Theranos movie will be pretty entertaining

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I've never understood this idea that we will somehow be able to deliver packages via drones in the next couple of years considering a lot of problems still need to be addressed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Uber CEO is on Trump's economic transition team so terrible low paying, no benefits jobs for everyone!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Typo posted:

in the free market you'll be able to call a uber to drive you away from coastal areas being flooded by melting polar icecaps
Only if they take TrumpCoin (TM)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I had a Flip briefly but it was absolutely a product that got washed out of the market once the iPhone became as ubiquitous as it is now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

outlier posted:

Wasn't there some scuttlebutt a few years ago about Amazon opening brick-and-mortar bookstores? Which seemed weird to me at the time, but maybe they're playing a long, long game.
Not sure about bookstores but they are currently testing some stores in general

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ccs posted:

FDR, a man after my own heart.

The progressives at that time were so incredible. They were incredibly privileged people. FDR went through the Ivy League and had a person fortune, but supported policies that helped the less fortunate .

And now we've got the epitome of "gently caress you, got mine" as President.
Yeah the crazy thing is FDR got into politics because his mom had a giant fortune and bankrolled him to run for the NY legislature, but by some miracle he ended up becoming one of the greatest Presidents we've had. Today, we have a similar trust fund baby with Trump except he's literally a 70 year old man baby

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Goddamn, that was fast:

Google Cancels PewDiePie's Upcoming Series, Removes Him from Preferred Ad System

How loving stupid do you have to be to throw that gravy train into a ditch? You literally sit around, play games, and make funny sounds.
He's always had that problem to some degree though. I remember when he became a thing the LP community went after him because his comedy was built on rape jokes. Eventually he apologized and supposedly stopped doing it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So the US government decided not to revoke Theranos' license to operate a blood clinic, after settling with the company over their violations. They agreed to pay a $30,000 fine and accept a two year ban from operating a testing clinic. So they would be eligible to start opening clinics again in 2019 if they wanted to.

http://www.businessinsider.com/theranos-settles-with-cms-for-30000-2017-4

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

It isnt just that they've been shut down, but they have no professional credibility given the fraudulent nature of their business previously, and the fact that every investor they had got screwed. That name is a four letter word in technology now, and actual biotech investors know better as well. The chance that they will return is miniscule.
I agree, but considering the level of fraud it's amazing they didn't lose their license

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Disruptive credit card gets bankrupted
What's even the point of a card when there are apps already for your phone that do the same thing?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Isn't the main reason the auto industry hates Tesla is because they own all of their own dealerships? I know there were a lot of fights from the various car dealership owners in certain states trying to block them from doing that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Thomamelas posted:

One of the founders for the Tilted Kilt is a former CEO of Hooters. And he gets super pissed off if you say The Tilted Kilt is a breastaurant. Or that it's similar to Hooters.
A bunch of those showed up in Orlando like 4-5 years ago but they have all closed down

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There is a Twin Peaks like 5 miles from my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Volcott posted:

For a country with such a strong capitalist tradition, you'd think the US would be more aggressive in putting the boots to white collar criminals.
Not when said capitalists write our laws