Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
I'd make an argument for a solid national identity system with a clear bill of privacy rights but I'm sure I'll be laughed out of this thread for "lol government". Why do we trusts private corps with our data vs state actors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

falcon2424 posted:

A clear set of rights would still be a good thing. And we should punish corporations that inevitably break those rights

But, there are still reasons why we should worry about Trump getting our data.

Of course we should be worried, we have literally zero recourse as individuals at this point.

Rights need to be given to us by our idiot rear end law makers so maybe its time we started talking about what those could be.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 6, 2018

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

Perhaps a bit semantic, but a right given is a right that be taken. Say rather that law makers should be held accountable for respecting our inherent rights.

its a bit abstract to say anything involving tech has inherent rights attached to it. The right to privacy is not afforded to us automatically, its why we have amendments defining search and seizure. I'm sure a more lawyerly goon can comment on such.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Paging ThreePhase.

Property owners just need to invest in their infrastructure, sure would be nice if there was a decent sized tax credit to install chargers much in the same way energy companies put up large rebates on retrofitting florescent lights in the late 90's early 00's.

It's not that power isn't "available" its the whole last mile problem or this case 60 feet of conduit and copper to hook up a dryer outlet in your garage. The quick super chargers are super expensive and require a very large transformer to work correctly. So don't think you are going to see those outside of places that have a ton of extra money to burn or municipalities investing in infrastructure.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

poopinmymouth posted:

Reykjavik is considering turning all city lamp posts into chargers. We already have multiple free chargers (complete with free parking as long as it's an EV, even though all other parking surrounding is paid) downtown, but the lamp post plan is really stepping up the game. Hope it goes through.

This would work in in the States as most streetlights are running 480/277, more appropriate for charging voltages on fast chargers. There are 10 different ways to go about it, you just have to convince a manufacturer that there is a legitimate market with public(lol, if they havn't already been privatized) utilities.

The US is stupid with its infrastructure as it must adhere to the terms of short term capitalism thinking, so nothing will get done. *loses all hope*

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
It would be nice if Musk wasn't a huge pedantic nerd that needs to be shoved into a locker, if he really was half the man of industry he thinks he is he would have a good, better, best model on cars like what was originally pitched in the start. The idea of an affordable electrical car actually being produced is hard and a great thing for this world, now he's distracted by all the other stupid tech nerd stuff. I work in manufacturing and watched a few companies fold all because the founders loose sight of the production part by adding all sorts of inane features when the original product performs just fine if they just focused on efficiency at a human level for 5 loving minutes.

I should start a Kickstarter to find and shove Musk into a locker... bet I could get everyone who works in his facilities to sign (on with a vote on unionizing)....

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 4, 2018

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

boner confessor posted:

there are people working on actual ai but really it's all a bunch of difficult tasks being figured out one by one. like the problem with artificial intelligence is that in order to figure out how close you are to that you have to figure out what organic intelligence is and turns out "so what is a mind anyway" is one hell of a question to answer

Its exponentially easier just to copy the traits of individual profile of people to respond as they would through the sheer amount of data collected than to create a working mind.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

qkkl posted:

It should actually be possible to train an AI to perform open heart surgery with one of the Da Vinci machines.

In order to train the AI you would need to put the operating table inside a big MRI machine that constantly takes snapshots of the entire area around the heart, and the heart surgeon only uses the Da Vinci machine to perform the surgery. Then to make things easier on the AI you would make some software to automatically categorize various anatomical parts, like different veins. Simulated surgeries can be created to vastly increase the training pool, and eventually the AI would be able to successfully perform a surgery without doing bad things like cutting the wrong nerve. It can be exhaustively tested in a simulated digital environment before testing it on a fake human body or corpse.

Obviously the Da Vinci machine would need to have no ferromagnetic parts in order to work inside an MRI.

Sounds awesome. Let's use all the resources necessary for that to make sure people have insulin.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

Still doesn't excuse Musk's stream of fuckups.

The board needs to get someone who knows manufacturing into that company.

He needs to be shoved in a locker.

Yes, if someone who knew what they are doing was running Tesla it would be almost a good company.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Cicero posted:

1 billion to push for better zoning laws, another billion to push for public housing

He'll buy up anything under market in Seattle, then forget to provide anything for the homeless.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

loving stupid. Like every other idea that developers come up with because they cant be bothered to bring themselves up to the understanding of modern traffic sciences and the people who work with them. "Disruption" Only works when you are able to actually co-op a part of the existing system. Which gently caress me if I'm going to let some tech doofus access to my traffic light system with his IoT garbage.

You would have to unlearn an entire generation of drivers, you would have to get every car equipped with these sensors, you would have to convince every municipality to pay the ridiculous licensing fees associated with the disruption technologies software and hardware. Last I checked there aren't enough normal traffic engineers. gently caress these guys they should maybe actually ask a traffic engineer what help they really need . Not some sort of way to make randian douchebags get home faster.

Also I caught up on this thread and any one trying to defend Musk also deserves to be shoved in a locker with him. SpaceX is awesome, Tesla could be awesome, they all succeed in spite of Musk not because of him. *end rant*

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

luxury handset posted:

it's just electrical engineers trying to solve a problem the best way they know how, via electrical engineering

meanwhile the problem is just that you will never, ever make automotive travel efficient while relying on it as a primary mode of travel because anyone who wants a car can get one and get on the road. so as soon as you squeeze out your 20% efficiency gain or whatever then folks will make more trips because traffic is a gas that expands to fill all possible road volume. traffic engineers have known this for decades, it is called triple convergence

https://walkablestreets.wordpress.com/1994/08/18/the-triple-convergence/

also lol at the comments

That's what I'm talking about. Either those guys never went and actually talked to a traffic engineer about their field, or they were told about it and went nuh-uh and kept going anyway.

Its the same poo poo in self driving cars. The things that have to improve to make self driving cars feasible or even see improvements with assisted driving are not being addressed at the same level of dick waving is at developing new driverless technologies. There aren't enough people in those rooms going "STOP, think and work with the system you are in!"

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
I work in ops, and have to deal with the fact that no, I don't have the man power and money to change the widget this one neat way that marketing will love.

Of course everyone would like their car to drive for them. A bunch of slick salesmen are out there conning money out of investors with the dream that this one neat trick will make it happen. Except that the science and real research has said "No, not really and here's why." Throw in some willful ignorance though and that train will just keep rolling. Will power and strength of resource can get through difficult problems but only if they are identified. We didn't fly to the moon, we were propelled there. You cant fly if there is no air.

I used to go get my daily aneurysm from the Trump thread but this one is oh so much more effective at getting my blood pressure up. It's about people who really should know better getting sold dreams and given orders by people who have no loving clue.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Aramis posted:

I tend to agree that it's a bit of a longshot, but I could see a model pairing narrowing down a controller's probable action space enough to brute force your way through. Say what you will about Google as a corporation, but from an engineering perspective, thumbing their nose at "I'm not sure that _________ really scales up" and just going for it anyways is pretty much their MO.

The fact that they can do it at the speed of input * number of inputs * possible inputs is troubling... pairing it down to games means its been applied just about everywhere else already. Just trying it out will give them the data set they need to improve. Maybe they are just looking for a data set large enough to test new improvements. AI development makes me uneasy when you look at the problems that are being attempted and go "Holy poo poo, that means XYZ has already been solved."

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I just realized that US Auto standards specify that the taillights and rear turn indicators need to be on a non-moving body panel. So the dumb rear lightbar would make it impossible to sell in the US.

They're gonna have to add secondary indicators on the bumper

Elon gives less than 0 shits about standards. His successes are when someone comes in his orbit that can trick him into using a standard.

Another reason he needs to be jammed in a locker.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

I'd love to know how much kWh that 40kg wheel is storing. Is it close to LiOn battery energy density?

The Sterling Engine will save us all.

GIANT monolithic flywheels please! Chemical batteries be hosed.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

The old joke was that all you really needed was the sign in your yard, so steal someone else's and you'd be good. The would-be burglar was either willing to risk it being off or not, the actual system would barely come into play except in edge cases.

Back in the my electrician days I did ADT installs for piece work, mostly in upper-middle glass cul-de-sacs.

The sign is the most valuable part of the system.

As with all security, nothing will stop a particularly motivated individual from taking from you. The goal of security is to demotivate them, not stop them.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

Are you disputing that the privacy policy allows the use of family health information for advertising, or are you saying that it’s perfectly reasonable for a state government to say “if you want to access your state vaccination record, you have to let this third party use your health records for advertising, and share your ‘de-identified’ personal info with whatever business partners they want”?

I think the sharing of vaccine records is at a rubicon of data sharing regulation and would be a great place to start if you wanted to build some sort modern public healthcare record system.

With the following points.

a.) I control who gains access to my health records, [HIPAA]
b.) I should be bale to answer a request for those health records.[Employer /Venue requests for vaccine records]
c.) I should be able to revoke access to those records. [I no longer go to X crooked doctor/clinic. Ticketmaster doesn't need to keep copy's of my records past the relevant need for that data. gently caress sharing my data without my explicit consent]

I can go on a rant 10 pages long about the abysmal data record and identity systems in this country.

But for gently caress's sake we need to start doing something.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Excited to see how this plays out when they see how affordable and durable electricity from Texas' power grid is.

So what they will do is optimize their plan to take advantage of the lowest possible consumer prices available at whatever their plan specifies. Thats the thing with the Texas power plan market, you can choose among 300+ different ponzi schemes of power savings, I would think you could write a super restrictive one for certain times a day and piggy back them off each other with a pretty straight forward service switch gear.

Remember, all Bitcoin miners are trying to do is just break even on power to mining op. Everything else is added cost. They deserve Texas.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

upsidedown posted:

Solid waste from sewage treatment is pretty commonly used as fertiliser these days: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosolids

It’s collected after treatment though, which mitigates the contamination risk.

My home town has done this for decades, providing close to free potting soil/ yard soil for the metro. It rocks. Always had a good garden where-ever I lived in the city.

https://www.cityoftacoma.org/government/city_departments/environmentalservices/tagro

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Hasbro's monetization of MtG knows no bounds.... I expect NFT links to MtG by the end of 2022.

Its the serpent eating its tail really.

It's what propped up Bitcoin through the initial fad phase, I fully expect it to prop up the NFT market past the fad phase if they jump in from the corporate side.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

withak posted:

IMO IT guy debates are the real tech nightmare.

Eh, the start of this IT rabbit hole began with folks who absolutely had no understanding of modern cloud tech .(no offense, its evolved FAST). It's good to hear some shop talked every now and again.

Every deployment style has it's advantages, based on budget, location, user base, available expertise, application complexity, and risk factor.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Out of curiosity, how well has something Awful dealt with the problem of keeping minors out of the forums?

The paywall certainly helps but like, did kids ever show up that often before Lowtax blocked the danganronpa thread to unpaid lurkers this was a dead gay forum?

Because SA actually moderates. It's been one of those things to point out when comparing this forum to the shithole that is social media.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Tech almost always makes things more convenient...but that someone isn't always the ordinary consumer! For example, cryptocurrencies are notoriously inconvenient to use for normal economic purposes, but they've made things incredibly convenient for scammers and fraudsters.

What keeps surprising everyone is what ends up being made more convenient beyond the intended purpose or scope.

Anything that touches financial or content creation seems to have the most knock-on effects as adoption spreads among the marketing/sales class.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

So there's CLEAR that is being used for Vaccine Passports and security clearance at airports. They are probabily the best candidate for a company that could get your "check in stuff you need" on a central database.

Yeah. It's all about having a central authority management. If you can't tie a portal to a central authority. It's in the tech providers interest to splinter. I've soapboxed blockchain for this very reason before.

I wonder how CLEAR does it, must be something established by the TSA.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Xand_Man posted:

CLEAR is bribery. That's the business model.

Oh no doubt. But there is an official process that has been carved through the system since that first bribery. I'd be curious what their actual authentication process is, and how their database has been authoritated.

I guess I should clarify my earlier statement. Actual data on a blockchain is loving stupid. Now my login identity. That could be useful, if backed by a state level authority, rather than a unknowable cabal of assholes(to mate o, to mato).

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fair enough. Ironically they already went through all this with FFXI and apparently learned nothing.

So much time spent on that game. It was an awful mess of continuity. It was nigh unplayable without Alakazzam. It took years for people to figure out the main story line quests. The net code being completely based around PS2 sure didn't help.

The translator though, that thing was glorious [Galka][sausage][Party!]

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Just a note on the naming it Dali.

I think it's very apt to name this project after Dali. He was a pretty crazy futurist who pushed the envelope on art creation, while still being an undisputed classical master.

While the shallowness of tech project naming is very apt and true. They all suck.

In this case, if Dali was still around I have no doubt he'd be loving around with procedurally generated and AI nonsense.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

joe football posted:

AI image generation would eat away at the bottom of the pyramid, not the top. Giant corporations who have tons of money to spend aren't going to use AI and neither will people who want to buy 'fine art', but there's tons of space below that for people who want an image of something and think the AI is cheaper and good enough who might have otherwise hired a person to do it. How big a chunk that takes out of the market for human artists I don't know, but I can't look at the results the AIs are getting right now and think it will be nothing

As a power user who dabbles in layout and publication, I absolutely will use it to avoid a first stage hiring situation, or place holders while waiting for commissions, or even using it to drive a creative towards a specific look.

Give me 15 iterations of "snow covered mountain, line style" saves the creative step, that could take a week of hunting, haggling and hoarding.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Should just have a sign they can tap.

"It's all bananas."

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

I'm a little confused as to why MetaPixel was on the hospital page in the first place. Was the hospital trying to have Facebook integration on their website? Or was it pulled in as part of some dependency? Or something else?

Could be part of any dependent packages. Could very well be more than 1!

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Amazon’s obviously one of the worst culprits but I’m so sure that thousands of mom-and-pop businesses and other small businesses do the bare minimum in terms of entitlements and leaves. It feels like a uniquely American solution to shame these companies into doing better or wait for the market to fix itself, rather than passing halfway-reasonable labor laws like the rest of the rich world.

Amazon actively conflates the business practices that tend to get practiced at small scale through laziness and incompetence; at scale, with algorithms and intention. It's gross.

Remember Jeff Bezos found Amazon on the business model of actively taking advantage of the local tax code and vendor logistics systems.

It's leech all the way up and down.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

America Inc. posted:

Sorry for being anal but your post was hard to read.

Apologies.

I only post when I'm between sloshed and wasted.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The only non-spam call I've gotten in months is someone who thought I had called her, somebody probably used my number as a robocall spoof.

Building PBXs to do this is so trivial now, it would require enforcement actions on the major cloud providers to have any legs.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Motronic posted:

And parts. There are very common tiny things that go bad (think individual chips) in a lot of stuff that are not commodity electronic components. They are worth a dollar or two at the most, so at $20 you'd think they could make money on selling them as repair parts. But often they don't, and you have to buy the assembly which is typically a board and usually the MAIN board. So now you're left with a $250 repair part for a TV that only cost $400 three years ago.

You have to think hard about it to even repair that yourself. There is literally zero profit left for an actual repair service to be able to perform this service.

How did we get here? It's not just that electronics have gotten inexpensive to purchase: they're being built disposable on purpose.

While I don't disagree. I fix all my own stuff all the time. I also run a small manufacturer and even though our products are simple, to allow every component its own sellable sku within modern engineering and sales distribution is nuts. "The way things work" would have to change significantly to allow companies to do this easily. Most of the cost of products to consumers is the logistics chain itself, not the physical part.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Though most of the focus on irresponsible, terrible, or downright awful internet moderation policies in social media sites focuses on how they treat stuff that's posted, it seems like Tiktok (or the contractors they outsource moderation out to) may be breaking new ground on how they treat their own moderators.

It seems that someone involved in overseeing the moderators (neither Tiktok nor their contractors have clearly admitted to being the ones responsible) had the bright idea of keeping a stockpile of rule-breaking materials removed from the site, and showing that stockpile to new moderators as an example of what kinds of things qualify as breaking various rules.

Apparently, no one stopped to think about the ethics, legality, or loving anything before they decided to keep a stash of child pornography around to train new hires on what was and wasn't acceptable.

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1555550458487390221

I don't really know what to say here, other than that social media was a loving mistake.

But what if we just stopped?

Nah, number machine cant be stopped. Only BRRRRRR

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

on android there is an option to save the photo to a secure local folder that is not automatically uploaded.

Good luck maintaining that or any other privacy settings between major updates or phone replacements.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Stexils posted:

software engineer switches to car manufacturing, still struggles with windows

New Thread Title plz

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Driving your COO and Ops teams out is one of the most boneheaded moves you can make in any company if you are attempting to hold confidence in the product itself, and not something you could even dream of trying to accomplish a few days, even in the smallest of companies.

The lettuce will outlive Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Musk accomplished both of those things by buying someone elses work and being massively subsidized by the government.

That's the Musk playbook.

Look at his gambit with Starlink and trying to extort retail prices from the US gov to support Ukraine's use.

The funniest thing to do right now is figure out he's trying to spin Twitter in that way. His best move would be to extort current gov officials for verified access to the platform, but instead he's loving around with base level user account management.

Elon Musk, god's willing, will be shoved in a locker.