Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've always enjoyed racing games and have been going more into the sim side of things lately, and I think it's time to upgrade to a decent racing wheel. I have a POS one from playing too much Forza on the 360, but it was like $70 brand new and has garbage control accuracy let alone features like force feedback.

I also built a new rig recently and picked up Dirt Rally, which is awesome. Unfortunately it's on a linux install and I can't get the wheel to work at all and ended up using an old 360 controller. As you can imagine it makes the game a bit tricky

Is the starting point for a decent wheel $250-$300 right now? Searching for the products listed in the OP shows even the lower priced ones going for that much used. Is there a cheaper alternative even worth bothering with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys, the T150 seems to fit the bill.

I already have a Windows install on a second HDD mercifully. I try to get games for the Linux side when given the chance but it's still very limited as you've pointed out. Aside from limited game availability the only issue I've had with it is the wheel support. I'll guess I'll switch over to windows and get the Dirt Rally install queued.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
For those of you with a wheel and 2 pedal setup: do you left foot brake? If so, do you get shin pain from hovering over the pedal so much?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the replies guys.

I do the relax-on-the-straights thing already, and I also moved my pedals almost as far as possible away from me already.

I'll see if the return spring is strong enough to let me rest on it, but other than that it sounds like I just need to toughen up.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What's a reputable place to get Assetto Corsa mods outside Steam?

There are some tracks that aren't in the official Steam system but all the mod sites I'm finding look sketchy.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
gently caress yeah thanks guys.

I should have asked this a month ago when I got bored of the stock tracks

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Is there anything unusual about the RD website?

I can access it fine over mobile data but if I use my house internet it doesn't even find the site.

I tried multiple browsers and settings with no luck.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GhostDog posted:

Not really.

In my experience that's most often a DNS problem. Maybe try another DNS server, restart your router if if it caches DNS entries, do a traceroute etc.

Thanks, changing DNS did the trick.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is there a goon Wreckfest group going?

It looks super fun and would be even more fun knowing which kind of assholes I'm playing with

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

It’s super fun and maybe the funniest online game I’ve ever played.

If I wasn't so drat busy this summer I'd be all over it.

It has wheel support right?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

sum posted:

Finally got my first actual wheel (G29) all plugged in and set up after only simming on a gamepad for months and uhhh first impressions are that I'm insanely slow and I feel like I'm learning how to drive again. It seems like every other time I hit a bump I'm in the wall and it's bizarre having to put in actual physical effort to keep my pretend car on the pretend road. Does anyone have any tips besides just keep racing until it feels natural?

Do some practice laps. Lap slowwwwwww and try to nail the racing line, and gradually speed up each lap as you learn the limits of the car.

You'll also need to recalibrate your feet to avoid locking up the brakes or spinning out while accelerating. Unless you turn on TC and ABS since it's a pretend car and you can't feel anything.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If there isn't an option to have the co-driver call you Samir I'm going to be very disappointed

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is 25bux the discounted price for ACC?

I've only put a dozen or so hours into the forest AC but it was pretty solid.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is anyone playing Wreckfest with a wheel?

I was crushing the AI with a controller, then plugged in the wheel and can barely get top 5 against novice AI. Still hilarious fun but kinda frustrating.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

Does the rotation feel off? Try turning saturation to 45-50%

I'll give that a shot, it's been turning thats been giving me trouble when it was super easy with the controller.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Downloading ACC right now, looking forward to punting you guys off the track in multiplayer.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The bonus is when you watch racing IRL and you realize you actually know where the drivers are on the track before the commentators say anything :yaycloud:

I lapped each Grand Prix course for 30-40 minutes in AC before watching each race this year and it made them much more interesting.

I had to wade through some super lovely track mods for some of the less popular tracks but it was still with it.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm not in the market but that rig is sweet and I'm very jealous.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Two new cars (sorta) plus Monza. Gonna have to fire it up tonight and see how the track feels.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
In DR1 or DR2 is there a way to download the pace notes somehow? Preferably in a text format?

I'm trying to talk a friend into being a live co-driver but making the pace notes ourselves takes foreeeever.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone used TrackIR or something similar for racing? All of the sims I play are supported and it seems like a nice little improvement without going full VR.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a good source for AC tracks besides Race Department? I can usually find what I want but now always.

I try to do a few laps at each GP circuit a few days before the race but this week the only version of Baku I can find is a pretty bad rFactor conversion.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

Samir mode.

Well I'm always breaking the car so that seems pretty accurate

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So I'm going to turn a few got laps at Paul Ricard this weekend to familiarize myself before watching the GP Sunday.

Am I the only one that finds it hard to tell where the gently caress the actual circuit is on the giant blob of concrete?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
How does PC2 compare to AC1? I've got quite a bit of time in Assetto Corsa but 13bux is hard to say no to

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Its hard to compare them really. They're pretty similar but each does certain things slightly better here and there. You're also gonna get pretty different responses from different people.

PC2 better graphics maybe? AC1 better AI? Maybe ever so slightly better handling in AC1. But then more single-player stuff in PC2?

I mostly use AC to do hot laps on grand prix tea dogs before watching the races so alot of those features are lost on me.

If the interface is better in PC2 I'll get it just for that, the AC interface feels like it's from the 90s.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I think it was the thread title of the iRacing thread at some point lol

It was definitely the title of the Dirt Rally thread for a long time

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

I'll measure my parked WRX I guess. Neither of my cars have telescope on the steering wheel so I can't really get it exactly right, but I can build in some fore/aft adjustment on the wheel shelf.

If you do end up doing this can you post the dimensions?

I ran into this awhile back and never did find the right specs.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know a non-warez source for F1 cars for AC? The Ferrari pack included one from ~2017 but there's no way to tune it so its stuck with ridiculously tall gearing. On most tracks I never see the top two gears at all.

I've found a couple of older cars on Race Department but nothing from the last ten years. I'm guessing there's licensing reasons for this but if you of a source lemme know.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

F1 cars in AC are basically entirely the RSS Formula Hybrid mod, it is a really good mod though if you're not repulsed by paid mods as a concept.
https://racesimstudio.com/formula-hybrid-2019-now-available

This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Steen71 posted:

HOWEVER, it also has fixed gear ratios! This is just how it is in modern F1.

Yeah I found that out but it has quite reasonable gearing instead of 8th gear maxing at 255mph like the Ferrari one did.

Immediately drop 3-4s on the track I was running without really improving otherwise.

Now if I could just figure out how to activate DRS and the battery boost in AC...

edit: Figured out DRS but I'm not sure if i'm using MGU-K correctly

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 3, 2019

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So the upcoming Gooncar series is running with free cars and tracks? Or did I misread something?

I've been doing sporadic hot lap sessions in AC for the last year but some actual racin' sounds great if it's with y'all.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Well I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Terrorizing traffic in socal in a mid 80 turbo monster F1 car of course.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

Here's a zip with all the forza tracks that I've been able to find.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VyQKyF-xLpRR6W9VroMXqdfwBwGaovgv

Seconding thanks for these, I haven't been on some of these tracks for years.

Are the Alps tracks working for anyone else? The others (Rio, Maple Valley) work for me but I can't get any of the Alps variants to load.

Also Rio is bumpy as all hell in the little Tatuus practicemobile.

edit: Fujimi isn't working either, I might be installing them in the asset folders wrong or something

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 23, 2020

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the followup!

I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

It’s probably not high enough traffic to get on Microsoft’s radar.

Edit: Here's the updated zip: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10g3AfMGwiuM_Fbn-eYyBc9WCyJyqDXWb

Finally got this working. I had to both move the alps.ini file to the Alps content folder, and then unzipped alps__stflow.zip to write over the previous set of files.

Alps is as fun as I as remember, although in any car with aero downforce it's almost not fun since you can go flat out for most of the course.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

Anyone still playing assetto corsa?

I've been stockpiling mod tracks and cars and want to see if anyone is interested in doing a weekly goonrace with it? It's come a long way in the past couple years with the mods and it's still really good.

If anyone's interested I can put a list of available tracks and cars and we can pick a few good places to race/trackday/whatever. Then I can pack that week's cars/tracks into a zip so everyone has the content they need to race and I can set up a server.

I can also set up an effort-post on how to get it all set up with the Content Manager/Sol/Custom Shaders Patch mods so it looks like a modern game.

I'm down for some AC goon time and the mod effort post would be great too.

I still play vanilla AC from time to time but never ventured online.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Have they implemented ffb in Snowrunner yet? Searching around it looks like a planned feature but isn't fully released yet.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is tail of the dragon a default map in beam.ng?
And the F40 for that matter.

I've only played around with the vanilla stuff in that game and found the maps to be too small to really get lost in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

VectorSigma posted:

Tail of the Dragon/Deals Gap is in BeamNG's official mod repository, the F40 was acquired elsewhere.

Awesome thanks!