Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Did they remove rank requirements for Competitive? I just ran into a rank 1 smurf who absolutely wrecked house. I thought you need like rank 3 or 5 to do that?

Elman fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The Ferret King posted:

You can "prestige" now like in CoD. It resets your level and gives you a shiny medal to display. Of course, doing so does not again prohibit you from MM until level 3, that restriction is just for the first timers.

That person was level 40 at least once before.

Oops, he had a private profile so I couldn't tell. Thanks.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

private csgo profile?

You can only check their playtime in their steam profile, so I saw rank 1 and assumed it was a brand new account :shobon:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

qhat posted:

For some reason silvers and novas seem to buy awps all the time because they think that that gun has the best chance of carrying them up the ranks, and that is simply not true. You need more than just AWP skills to move up.

That's why they also buy P90s :v:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

UnfurledSails posted:

Now people frequently ask me how I have the 5 year veteran coin but only 100 hours of play time. I should have a 10+ year veteran coin dammit

I have a 5 year veteran coin even though I never really played CS before GO (just some casual CS:S matches because it came free with HL2). It doesn't really mean anything.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I know CS players are super serious about their 240hz screens and all but it's funny seeing people complain about only getting 100 FPS in a videogame.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Wish Valve would raise the minimum rank for competitive to like 10 or so. As it is the limit is kind of a joke.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Agoat posted:

Cache feels weird to me. Too many boxes, I think.

Yeah, it's all straight angles, which makes it feel kinda boring and :effort: to me.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Agoat posted:

My first CS game is GO so I'm not qualified to say much but I really hate that when I'm doing poorly I can always grab an MP9/Mac10 and just jump shot people around corners.

It becomes less of a problem as people get better and they can reliably headshot you with their AK if you try stuff like that. But yeah it sucks that a bad player can just play Call of Duty with a P90 and do ok against average players.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is the glock really terrible or should I just get good?

It has really bad damage, accuracy and range compared to the CT pistols and of course its burst fire is 100% useless. As far as I can tell the only thing it's got going for it is higher ammo count.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

It's ok it was in Call of Duty / a crosshair overlay / a family member using their account.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

What's this, the turning head hitbox bug? First bullet accuracy? Nothing in particular?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

(and also like a real gun)

I haven't heard the new AWP yet but I couldn't care less if it sounds realistic or not. I want these guns to sound satisfying to shoot, who cares if that means we get Michael Bay sound effects instead of this realistic USP-S that sounds like a stapler.

That said most of the sound changes have been pretty good.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

EvilBeard posted:

Actually, the scout is super satisfying now. When you get kills, it just feels better. The sound owns. I'm all for the new awp sound, it makes sense with my lightning strike.

Oh yeah, I actually got to listen to them and they're great. I'm having trouble telling the scout and awp apart, but I'm sure that'll come with time.

Elman fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 18, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

canoshiz posted:

It's probably in their best interest to fix it though, as a lot of these maps are balanced around the fact that some ledges are designed to be 1-way for a solo player like under window in Mirage and vents in Cache.

A lot of these maps are balanced around left eye vision, not right, and that doesn't seem to stop them.

But yeah I'm sure they'll fix it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Dancer posted:

So what other arbitrary limitations should there be?

Well getting rid of smurfs and cheaters would be a good start but they keep buying copies of the game so that won't happen.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Spiros posted:

Use a mic or you're automatically limiting yourself to being a very bad player. Period.

I got a friend who plays at 1000 @ 6 sens and it breaks my heart :smith:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Icept posted:

you're not a real friend if you let that kind of poo poo happen on your watch

Trust me, we've tried. There's nothing we can do :negative:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I think we can all agree that the UMP is bad. As well as all the other SMGs. And shotguns. And the Scar and Negev and whatever that other machine gun is called. In fact let's remove every gun except pistols, AK, M4, SSG and AWP and be done with it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Xenaero posted:

They actually are promoting jumping shots?

ahahaha ok laters

If anything this is a nerf, plus it made it so they can actually balance jumping accuracy now.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm getting increasingly sick of Mirage cause at my rank (MG1) nobody knows how to smoke anything.

A with 1 smoke is a gamble, mid with 1 smoke is suicide and B is just a mad dash through molotovs and SCARs :negative:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Apogee15 posted:

I miss my G9x. They don't have a replacement product for it anymore... I got logitech to replace my failed G9x, and they sent me a G502.

I've gotten used to it, but i still preferred the G9x.

This, absolutely. It was perfect, I'm sad they just got rid of it but never came up with another good claw grip mouse :negative:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

A good summary of my CS:GO experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fzYZA9cM4o

:negative:

(and the worst part is I bet it's legit and I just got owned by right eye advantage)

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah, I actually watched the demo and I was in plain sight even though I couldn't see the AWP at all. I need to be more aware of that stuff, it's ridiculous how big a difference it makes.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I just had 4vs5 end in a draw even though we stomped them CT side, because the T side bot never listened our commands and just rushed down mid to get shot every single round, making it a 4vs5 :negative:

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 1, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I wouldn't mind if they didn't work in competitive but of course they will.

Just make them only visible to your teammates, Valve. Even Overwatch got that right.

Elman fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 7, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Speaking of which, I'm MG1 and getting to the point where I feel my movement is hindering more than my aim is. Are there any tutorials or streamers I should be watching to help me with that? Most of the ones I find seem to focus on the very basics.

The thing is I feel like I'm bad at stuff like jigglewalking, shoulder peeking or just generally checking every spot quickly without being exposed when I enter a site. I can aim, stutterstep and all that, but I need help moving in a sensible way.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jeza posted:

Looks like 1.6 version. What does apps look like?

It's wider and there's no dark room, just a small gap to the left of the stairs.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I wish they'd fix the player models. Missing an awp shot cause you only hit clothing is incredibly annoying.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Awesome Welles posted:

IIIRC, the game uninstalls itself automatically if you do that sort of thing too many times

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

MG2 feels like a pretty tough rank to push through. For every good game in MG2, I have another where I get absolutely destroyed by people with precog levels of game sense.

I don't expect to get very high playing solo, but it would be nice to hover around DMG at least. :unsmith:

I feel ya, it's smurf country over here.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Audax posted:

Just call out positions, don't babysit people. No reason to stress out over this at that level.

The only things that really annoys me at this level is people who entry frag with the bomb, probably cause they want those sweet planting points. It's to be expected though, if you play smart and drop the bomb before entry fragging you get rewarded with a lower score.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Was Inferno that unbalanced in competitive play, anyway? I always got the impression that it was a fairly even map (yeah, it's hard to get into B, but the same is true for Mirage's B).

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

Game design ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why did they change it from left to right eye in Go, then? :raise: Seems like that would gently caress with all the map design.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Fusion Restaurant posted:

I think my difficulty was that I was just pressing the opposite direction and trying to get the exact instant the crosshair lost its bloom -- which might be what good players do, but I'm not that.

Are you using the default crosshair? It can help you learn counterstrafing, but otherwise it's really bad.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I don't get this game. How does a MG3 fail to use their smoke and flash on a retake of B? How does a DMG fail to buy any grenades whatsoever in a full buy round?

And how bad am I if I'm only MG1 despite actually using grenades? :negative:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

symbolic posted:

I really wish the game would stop connecting me to U.S. Southeast servers when I'm in Pennsylvania. The constant ping spikes and low ping of 50 make me sad. :smithicide:

I wish I'd stop getting russian teammates with 140 ping, myself.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Unbound posted:

Set your max acceptable ping to 100 problem solved

Mine is set to 60 or so, I think that's only for your own ping though.

You'd think it'd be fine since you'll run into high ping enemies from time to time too, but let's be honest watching enemies teleport out of your crosshairs is just as annoying as having a laggy teammate :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

fennesz posted:

I switched to 4:3 stretched and had to relearn pretty much every smoke I throw. You wouldn't think it affects that much but holy hell does it ever.

Do you aim with your hands or the grenade? You'd think it wouldn't make a difference if you're only aiming it with the crosshair.