Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
To steal a post from the China Thread

No why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Always be embedding

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
My Favorite OSHA story:

In the 70s, Malaysia was the biggest miner of tin in the world, accounting for 1/3 of all production. Come the mid 80's tin prices dropped, so miners attempt to make up the price shortfall by getting it out of the ground at the lowest cost possible, even if that easy-to-reach tin happens to be found in sea-ward wall of an open-cut mine right next to the Indian Ocean

Now, despite this mine having been in operation for decades, one day in 1993, the owner notices some pretty waterfalls have sprung up overnight, and (smartly) orders all the equipment moved out (I'm guessing the workers too, but perhaps as an afterthought). He then calls a friend and tells him he thinks the mine might be about to collapse - the friend grabs a video camera and hurries over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa3nFLZIvbU

Google Maps of the new cove formed afterward: https://www.google.com/maps/@4.4004273,100.5889835,1041m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

quote:

In four milliseconds, the heat generated by the resulting enormous power surge caused water surrounding the core to begin to explosively vaporize. The water vapor caused a pressure wave to strike the top of the reactor vessel, causing water and steam to spray from the top of the vessel. This extreme form of water hammer propelled control rods, shield plugs, and the entire reactor vessel upwards. A later investigation concluded that the 12,000-kilogram (26,000 lb) vessel had jumped 2.77 metres (9.1 ft) and the upper control rod drive mechanisms had struck the ceiling of the reactor building prior to settling back into its original location. The spray of water and steam knocked two operators onto the floor, killing one and severely injuring another. One of the shield plugs on top of the reactor vessel impaled the third man through his groin and exited his shoulder, pinning him to the ceiling.

woof.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

telcoM posted:

Different electric train systems have different voltage levels.

The minimum distance of 50-70 cm sounds about right for 25 000 volts systems, which is what is used in all new electric rail lines in Russia.

But according to Wikipedia, Russia has some old lines using only 3000 volts DC, which just might allow that kind of playing around, at least when the air is dry and the gloves are of the right type.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_systems_for_electric_rail_traction

Apparently, tram systems tend to have much lower voltages: 750 volts DC seems to be almost standard for new trams, and some old systems are using just 600 volts DC.

I also notice that there is a cut between the chin-ups and the other stunts: it is possible that the chin-ups were done when the power to the overhead wire was switched off for some reason.

You can see that they're using twin contact wire system which would generally only be needed for a lower voltage DC system, so likely anywhere from 750V to 3kV - generally you don't need nearly as much copper in the air for a HV AC traction power system.

If that's the case, there's no real reason that they couldn't be doing chinups on live wiring as long as they're not creating a conductive path between wire/pantograph and car body (ie insulated gloves and/or boots)

Serak fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 26, 2017

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Ol Standard Retard posted:

what know we of these Toblakai gods

Sufficiently niche reference :hfive:

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh lordy. That is past fixing. That's in the " rip out the whole thing and start over" stage.

I...don't think you'll have to worry about ripping it out. The scouring from another overflow or 2 should do it for you

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Baron von Eevl posted:

II is good, III is lousy. You know what they say though, 66% is a fair average.

I acknowledge this joke

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
oh, poo poo - Dam failure in Laos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-LmHjkN2EU

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I checked out some of this music when I first saw the Callinan video and that screaming is by far his best work :shrug:

Should you ever find yourself in Australia, be aware there are many places it would be an OSHA issue to be heard to say this in public. I am only half kidding.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

oohhboy posted:

The ship looks like it is dropping out of hyperspace.

gently caress now I wanna see someone animate this

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Memento posted:

Did you not see all the smashed glass pieces they were brushing aside? The dome wasn't lifted off as much as broken off.

That's just charred newspaper the fish was wrapped in that they're removing.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

oohhboy posted:

^^^ Tom Scott videos are pretty good and he has done work on other channels. The amount of effort he goes through is pretty drat high as he is always on location, does as heap of takes until he gets it right in a single long shot, like the one where he demonstrates a semi-forgotten 3D TV method on a 2D screen, talking and driving up and down a long musical road. So he can't get "lazy" with info-graphics.

I wish someone would buy him a shirt that fits him though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Bum the Sad posted:

Do the Harlem Shake

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...ame=why+we+slap