Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Don't Ask posted:

So a crane collapsed yesterday:

Unfortunately the woman in the car was killed.

The crane was manufactured in 1984 - is that normal for this kind of equipment?

Oh yeah, with proper maintenance, they CAN last 50+ years. I've worked on/around cranes from the 60s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

That is the single most Scottish thing I've seen in a long while...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Nenonen posted:

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I didn't know there was a difference.

Amazingly, even though "nuclear" is in the name, an MRI exposes you to zero radiation. A CAT scan, on the other hand, exposes you to between 2 and 16 mSv of radiation. A chest x-ray; 0.2 mSv. That means a CAT scan is 10x more radiation than a chest x-ray. PET/CAT is usually in the 25 mSv.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh dear I wonder why no-one stopped me and every one else at the fort from doing it literally several times a day every day when I was in the service? Maybe because they wanted me to be able to see my barrel was clean? I just don't know any more :ohdear:

See also the discharge cans near every barracks door. How often do those get hit with a ND from an "empty" firearm?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Mozi posted:

what did the panda do when it visited the playground?

eats, chutes, and leaves

Why did the panda kill the bartender after having a sandwich, then flee the scene?

He Eats, Shoots, and Leaves

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

West Virginia lawmakers just sided with Dow Chemical in return for sweet sweet campaign contributions.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

snugglz posted:

this. I’ve seen buckets and even augers come off this way...

Yeah, no way the steel should fail before the hydraulics stall out. Thankfully the helper wasn't "I'll stand right next to the machine to [help push]", AKA get crushed/injected.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

mobby_6kl posted:

What's not so safe? Removing a school bus body off the frame in one piece and driving the chassis out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGuu_O33nzY&t=803s

I'm the WVU shirt... So glad I left that place.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Xaintrailles posted:

Now, when he takes the stairs, he doesn't move his legs.

Because he can't.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

gender illusionist posted:

Light ships had to stay afloat in horrendous conditions, so filling empty/unnecessary holds with foam was probably a good idea. From the name it looks like this particular one used to be stationed in my neck of the woods https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodwin_Sands

They also regularly were struck by ships who set their autopilots to aim at the light ship, then fell asleep.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

This reminds me of MV Joyita.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Joyita

It had cork‐lined holds for insulation of refrigerated goods.

It no longer hauled such goods, but the cork made it unsinkable, and the captain, at least, recognised this fact.

Rule #1: stay with the ship
Rule #2: step up into the life raft (meaning the ship is literally sinking under you)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I pressed play and then thought "Do I want to see this? No, I don't." and closed the tab before anything bad happened. I guess I'm growing up.

There's a reason I have my phone ask me what to do with links. I click, I can see the link text, and decide what to do. That one's staying blue, thank you very much.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

haveblue posted:

In other words, the place is a brewery and the stuff pouring out onto the floor is half-finished beer.

Half finished very hot beer. He's lucky he stepped back and didn't get scalded.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Icon Of Sin posted:

So I was a research subject for a study to see the narcotic effects of CO2, in addition to the “OH gently caress I NEED TO LEAVE RIGHT AWAY” effect. It was for the navy, they wanted to study diving rebreather failure at ~180ft down, which would put an excess amount of CO2 into your breathing loop at ~7 atmospheres down. I think it works out to a couple thousand times what’s in the atmosphere right now? They also studied the narcotic effects of N2 and O2 at the same depths, and found that all 3 of those gasses act on the same cellular pathway for their narcotic effects (which were “debilitating”, and caused “incapacitating narcosis”). Fun times :haw:

You should have heard the stories from guys I know in the NEDU. Crazy poo poo the Navy tried... And tries.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
What, no one uses octal anymore?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Olewithmilk posted:

They always used to tell us in our Science dept. safety courses about a undergrad engineering student who was doing some after-hours work on her own with a lathe at Yale(?). They found her the next day with her pony tail caught in the lathe and a broken neck.

Yup. Pretty sad story. http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2011/04/14/yale_lab_accident_kills_scituate_woman/

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Heffer posted:

That link says if they're marked MB then they are methyl bromide treated, which is no bueno

Which hasn't been used since 2005. I've never seen an MB-marked pallet. It's still worth checking the stamps.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

The open pulleys are a hazard.

So is the way the wedge passes through the table. Get a hand caught there and kiss it goodbye.

There’s a safer splitter I saw in one of the compilations in this thread. Like this one, it splits logs with a slow but unyielding force, but it’s reciprocating, not rotational, so a hand can only be trapped against the log.

I couldn’t find that one again but I found this one which does it one better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy99iG0sadM&t=270s

starts at 4:30

I like that the thing isn’t reciprocating non‐stop and has to be manually engaged each time. I don’t like that it has exposed pulleys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy99iG0sadM&t=175s

In about 10 seconds (3:05), this guy narrowly misses getting his pant leg caught by the screw. Sure, it's not spinning that fast, but he'd be hosed if it gets caught. Gives me shivers, especially with how cavalier he is about the whole thing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

VictualSquid posted:

Judging from all those cubes lying around the site, they are planning on loading dozens of cubes and have probably already loaded dozens. All without planning any way to make loading easier.

Or having adequate capacity trucks/machines... Watching the bucket get jammed back when the excavator pushes on the block makes the little hydraulic mechanic in my brain tingle. Nothing like driving hydraulic fluid back through the pressure relief valve while at full throttle on other functions.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

SLOSifl posted:

Sorry to ruin it but there is no legal way to operate a vehicle at that height without *both* a licensed high-altitude driver AND a certified spotter. This is a warning, next time is a $400 fine though.

Spotter took the photo, duh.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Nenonen posted:

Australians should learn to hard disable the automatic levelling system if the crane you're using was built in northern hemisphere!

I was trying to come up with a joke, but yours is perfect.

Alternately, couple thousand homes must be half the country.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Are those pics before or after they turned them on? The comment son the tweet seem like before, but it looks clumpy like everything melted when they turned them on. Or else whoever put them on just sucks at decorating.

Definitely before. Clumpy != melted/charred.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Nocheez posted:

Yeah, that was awesome they gave him some information and let him mess with the cut bolts and stuff.

I love that when they remove the cash beam, one guy stands directly under it signaling the crane... Hard hats don't work on 3t beams.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
UELs and LELs are important. It's that between poo poo that kills.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

shovelbum posted:

edit: anyone have a hard hat brand preference? I have always worn full brim hard hats and some places it seems to be seen as exotic which I find hilarious.

I'm a big fan of full-brim, it helps keep the sun/rain off your neck. :shrug: different strokes, I guess.

We ran the MSA V-Guard. Plastic, relatively cheap, and I never had one break. I've replaced the suspension when it gets mangled, and upgraded to a better sweat band, but other than that, it's 10-ish years old and aside from stickers and dirt, it's fine. I prefer the Fas-Trac suspension and the terry sweat bands.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

jetz0r posted:

I do mostly indoor work and ditched my full brim for one of petzl's climbing style helmets. The brim kept knocking into things and blocking my view. Definitely keeping the full brim hard hat around for when I'm outside in the sun, though.
Some of the research ships have moved to those as well. They claim the brim presents a hazard by obstructing your view and being a snag hazard. I've tried them out, and I'm not a fan. I just added a chinstrap to mine when they required it.

shovelbum posted:

Yeah the V-Guard with the Fas-Trac was what we had at the job where all the PPE was really nice (everything else was meh at best and we had to wear denim jeans like animals all summer but man there were nice hard hats and gloves and stuff). I just bought a new one for myself because none of the jobs I go on these days provide anything consistently nice. I had a Bullard full brim in chocolate brown that I liked but no one really sells those because who wants a brown hard hat that isn't a heat-resistant one.
I know some ironworkers who swear by the old metal hats... those are banned. The woven SkullGuards are awful unless you need the heat-resistance.

Sex Skeleton posted:

Plastic begins to lose its suppleness after years of UV exposure. It would be very surprising if your hard hat still protects your head as well as a new one.

Full-brim hard hats are the poo poo. They make you look like ranger Rick though.
Giddyup.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Please buy a new hard hat.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I don't work in that industry anymore, I've been on my own for 5 years, but you are very much correct. They definitely expire, usually either 3 or 5 years after date of MFR, which is heat-stamped on the plastic. Mine is a shelf ornament now.

I've got to find a picture from a worksite... give me a few.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

shovelbum posted:

Who comes up with this poo poo

There were some incidents where hard hats got blown/knocked off, or people blamed the brim for walking into/under poo poo they shouldn't have. So... they changed the rules. Requisite chinstraps and no brims. :smh:

Back on topic: Osha-chat

Yes, that's a dude using a pizza box with a hole in the middle on his hard hat as a sun shade.

\/\/ Everyone. Deck crew, scientists, etc. The ships that I was on had a zero tolerance policy for safety violations. Steel toe boots, safety glasses, life jacket, and hard hat at all times on deck. No exceptions. TBH, it was a great culture, and we did months of work with no incidents. We were given plenty of time to figure out safety procedures as things changed.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 5, 2019

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Most safety regulations are written in blood.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
He's survived long enough to become famous. Being famous means there are no consequences and confers immunity to all hazards, right? He's a shock-maker, like a shock-jock only more cringey.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

bring back old gbs posted:

rofl everybody skip to 2:13 and watch him lift this boulder while barefoot but with a hardhat and ear protection on

And lifting purely with his back. He'd just need to twist to meet the Peter Griffin standard.

https://youtu.be/1e4SBxgqBEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
It's like the suit jacketed acetylene tank at my local welding supply shop. They don't put a suit jacket on it, it just looks like a suit jacket because it peeled open when the tank failed. I'll have to get a picture the next time I'm there. There's a sign on it that says "This is why your tank must be within inspection date."