Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

General Morden posted:

TheTimelyHoward is a legit good SF player

i've seen him play against the japanese pros in SF4

he also played gamerbee

thank you for the respect my brother

now let me use my newfound legitimacy to explain why the best street fighter game is not sf4 or sfv but actually street fighter ex 2 plus

1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

if there are any other claw players who hate chun-li out there:

i was just sitting around in training mode figuring out how to punish legs. mk and hk are easy because they're super minus and leave her right next to you, but lk is tricky because it pushes her out of range of cr mp or st lp

turns out you can punish it at any range with a reversal lk rolling crystal flash (edit: it can hit either three or four times depending on the range tho, so remember that)

it's easy if you double tap

gently caress chun

The Timely Howard fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 22, 2016

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

so i just played itazan

standing mp beats literally every single one of claw's pokes, huh?

cool

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Replace your pokes with something a bit... bigger.

let me clear this up a bit. He knows that his st. mp is going to out prioritize your lights if they connect at the same time and the boxes on his button is better than most of the cast's. He also knows the frame data and spacing better than most of the people on the planet. They only way you're going to keep him honest is to set him up for a punishing crush counter and force him to use the rest of his toolset.

You'll still lose, because it's itazan, but at least you'll actually make him play the game.

no no, i meant all of claw's fierce buttons, as well

you can't play the max range hp game either. it's a free mp x birdie headbutt thing on reaction because of how slow the move is - he can just punch the claw.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Is The Timely Howard in Asia or is the netcode actually good enough to play with people in Japan (I'm in the UK and I've had some lag free matches with US people which impressed me)

in japan bro

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

What's your CFN, Howard? I wanna scope some of these replays.

TimelyHoward

mostly just gettin scraped today tho

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

have you tried blocking?

It's minus 1 on block, and has a 7 frame start up. If you find a birdie that likes to spam st. mp, you can just do a standing fierce (claw on only) and it should eat it. No crush counter, though. If you don't think you have the range, a stand mk will beat it by one frame on block. Both options are very safe if Birdie blocks them. Whiffing the stand hp could lead to a bad time, so be careful.

spend some time in the lab and figure things out.

yeah i know i was just narrating my ranked matches as i played them. i'll obviously need to learn the finer points of the matchup at some point

after work i'll look at itazan's profile and see if there are any videos of him losing to claw that i can steal tech from

if there aren't i'll just complain that it's a 10-0 matchup and counterpick lol

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Birdie doesn't seem to be a particularly bad matchup for Vega.

Itazan vs. most people is 10-0, though. I guess your counterpick is to become kazunoku?

drat that is one hella fine counterpick. he made some good money last year too, so it'd be a p good life decision

and yeah i'll probably try balrog (and alex and urien) when he comes out. only playing claw atm because i don't find any of the characters currently in the game to be much fun at all

and geez fine okay i'll learn the birdie matchup and challenge itazan to a ft10 or something

i'll show you all!!!

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

friend back in canada linked me a video that is apparently me vs kyo anton's nash (he was a top gouken over here)

i'm at work atm and can't watch it

do i win? does it make me look good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KenF7DjU9gM&feature=youtu.be

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

you don't have a phone you can watch it on?

good point

uh oh sudden uncontrollable bathroom break time

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

sounds about right we go 50/50

YouTube uploaders should just not upload boring matches imo step your game up YouTube

and hell yeah it's lame play bro i play street fighter!! footsies and ~~ honour ~~

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

Hey, just jumping in to remind everyone how awful matchmaking is. I'm sitting around 5300 LP and am constantly getting matched up with people in the 1000 to 2000 range. I've played over 10 matches tonight and only got one person above 3000.

All the characters in this game are neutered to the point where they only have so many things they can do and combos are so easy that you're going to see people at every level of play doing the same (most damaging) combos, so the only fun to be had in playing this game is from all the yomi bullshit that the game won't let me do any of because it keeps matching me up against people who aren't to the point where they're actually thinking yet.

With SFIV's matchmaking system I could at least look for and be guaranteed a match against other players who know what they're doing - this is a complete shitshow and a humongous waste of time. I only get 5 points per win and stand to lose 150+ if I lose, so it's not like I even get the satisfaction of climbing a pointless online ladder.

God drat it's hard to imagine a way they could have hosed this up harder.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

oh, that's daigo's tag in this game?

he beat me twice yesterday. the first was close and the second was a slaughter.

gently caress you and your awesome bullshit daigo

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

playing again after being away from home for a while on business

at around 6400 lp now

idk the game isn't very fun? matchmaking still kind of sucks and now that the secret is out that chun-li is way better than everyone else in the game everybody is using nothing but her. kind of disappointed atm

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I thought that it was Bison that was way better than everyone else???

what's important is that they're all equally not fun to play against

playing against nash is

uh

dynamic

at the very least

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

Chun is a fun character to play as on top of being top tier plus Chun mirrors are total footsie battles so let's just make this game Third Strike 2.0 and be done with it

another dark age is upon us

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

i am now, uh

*sigh*

"ultra gold"

i really wish they decided to have more fun with the rank names

make em street fighter themed or some poo poo

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

...am i reading this alex stuff correctly

his v-skill is basically just his taunt from 3s?

why not just have his taunt do that

well whatever

:getin: i guess

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

playing catch-up in ranked and just got to 7200 lp, which should just barely put me back in the top 100

lots of strong players have started setting up lounges, so i'll probably get to platinum rank just for the e-peen and then stick to lounges

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

hey

i hit platinum

i declare myself goon emperor of sfv (unless another goon also hit platinum in which case i'm sorry for trying to muscle in on your turf)

The Timely Howard fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 15, 2016

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

apple posted:

I got there like last week

darn. you playing ken again this time??

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

oh christ, is this why i've been having so much trouble doing poo poo like the walk & block against fireballs? i've eaten so many and just thought "wtf? i blocked that"

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

edit: this is not an empty quote

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

Crown Face posted:

According to Capcom's Japanese blog, the whole Ibuki debacle is Capcom USA's fault because that DLC roadmap wasn't meant to be official. The roadmap was only made "official" and released based on Capcom USA's own decision - they don't have a public roadmap in Japan.

If that's actually true and not just Japan throwing their US offices under the bus, then that's pretty incredible.

In case anyone is interested, here's a quick and dirty translation of the pertinent section (literally zero effort on my part because it's like 1:30 am and I'm tired):

quote:

Ayano says:

Following our reveal on May 31st that Ibuki would be the next DLC character, we received many comments saying that we were falling behind the schedule we had originally laid out. This seems to be based on information from Capcom-Unity, the community site managed by Capcom USA. (The road map for DLC characters in 2016 was announced in this post.)

On the other hand, no such road map has been announced in Japan.

The reason that the information provided in announcements put out by Japan, America, and other regions differs is because each team is responsible for deciding what information they disclose in order to quickly respond to the needs of the players in their region.

When Capcom USA announced their own road map, we here at the Street Fighter V team in Japan also considered making our own road map public. However, after looking at how things were progressing on the development side, we decided against making any promises to Japanese players that we were not 100% sure we could keep.

As a result, the differing information coming out of each region has invited both misunderstanding and confusion from the players. We are now painfully aware of what a poor decision this was and cannot apologize enough.

Moving forward, we plan to have all information regarding future content, including the release dates of DLC characters, be uniform across regions and reported promptly.

imho, this is a big mess and i'm loving every second of it

i do like that they're bringing up the input lag on both blogs though i hope something comes of that

The Timely Howard fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 3, 2016

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

Combo claims that Sugiyama's comment was just misinterpreted in English, which I suppose is possible? Maybe whoever spread that info in English just didn't totally get what he said.

Does anybody have a link to the video he said it in? I'd like to hear it for myself

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

Thanks!

All right, well, listening to Sugiyama’s explanation was interesting. He opens up by saying the input latency is there by design and then wastes a few minutes grasping at straws in order to explain why. I don’t know if it’s that he was under a lot of pressure and was overly cautious about how to phrase it (he said himself that he was being very careful about his word choice) or that he’s just kind of ineloquent in general, but I got the distinct impression that he’s not totally sure he knows what he’s talking about.

Somewhere during his fumbling and being assisted by the hosts (I really cannot emphasize how meandering he was – I’ve never heard anyone so desperately struggle to make a non-comment while still managing to fill air time), he made the following points:

- They set a specific target and worked around meeting it. In order to make it so that people could play against people in other countries, it was necessary to insert buffers to accommodate the lag.
- People tend to compare it to other games by saying “well, so-and-so game had this many frames of input lag”, trying to determine whether this amount of frames (including the buffer) is a good or bad thing. This gets especially complicated when you start factoring in the skill of the players and the discussion turns to “Well, is it possible to react to X?”
- Tokido points out that people suggesting they change the amount of input lag (he offers 5 frames as an example) might not realize what a tall order it is. It would require rebalancing the entire game around it. Nash, he says, would become extremely weak without his dash, while Momochi adds that Ken would become much stronger because of how easy it would be to hit-confirm everything.
- Ultimately, the game came out with the amount of lag that it has, and while there are no plans at present, even if they did release it on a different platform they would adjust the input lag to match the existing versions of the game, making it even.
- He ends by saying that people may be inserting their own preferences for how many milliseconds of lag people like in their games. People may just be deciding whether the amount of lag suits them for now and whether they’ll be able to get used to it or not.

Conclusion: No, Combofiend, Sugiyama’s comments were not misinterpreted. If his comments are to be taken at face value, he stated flat-out the game has the input latency it has by design in order to accommodate online play across long distances.

I did, however, get the feeling that Sugiyama does not totally understand what people mean when they refer to input lag. Sugiyama kept using the words for input lag and buffer interchangeably (at times insinuating that they similar in some way), leading me to believe that he’s not actually clear on how they’re different.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

i think this is the right thread for this

i bought revelator and played the demo for kof xiv

holy poo poo these games are both so much better than sfv it's actually kind of upsetting

kof xiv is an ugly bird but god drat does it sing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

In my experience as someone who lives in Japan and plays exclusively on a wired fiber optic connection, this game's net code seems much worse than that of most other games I've played. SF4's net code got a bad rap for totally understandable reasons - it was garbage for me back when I lived in Canada - but when both players have dope connections it's almost indistinguishable from playing offline. Even when playing with someone from Taiwan or Korea there would rarely be any hiccups, and in the rare case there was it would sort itself out almost immediately.

SFV is a total crapshoot. It feels like way too many of my matches are laggy trash, but that's probably my confirmation bias at work. Net code problems aren't something I ever need to even think about for other games, so it's alarming that SFV has any problems at all.