Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Finally picked this up on that flash sale.

Am I crazy or is it way harder to hit wingless airplane on someone who was just popped up by Nadesico now? In the beta my go to was the lariat/forced run thing - > Nadesico from their side -> wingless airplane. The thing where it works with no Nadesico when you're real close to the corner still seems to be in there but doing it that old way is hosed. I'm also really loving the Hugo throwback with the anti-air move who's arc likes to miss whenever it's really important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Is cr.HP the go to normal for cancelling into specials for Laura? And is there a reason the trials all use jmp.HK to start combos? It seems like a badass anti-air but jmp.HP looks like the better jump in.

I like Laura's style but it's hard not to go dumb with her elbow and forward->HP->HP->air throw thing.

Edit: Any handy beginner tips for her would be cool really. I'm switching off between her and Mika, and then using the Ryu guide posted last page when the salt is too strong.

Edit2: The tip about people instinctively expecting a 2nd fireball was really helpful. That's the simple kind of mind game I can keep in my head while a match, has a lot of applications and it's really easy to see when someone flips their thinking and STOPS expecting the 2nd.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 4, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah but I don't know poo poo and everytime someone describes which normals to use for a character I'm always surprised about what does what, especially Hard's. I assume that one just has a great hitbox and beats everything in the air, but I don't know.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Foodahn posted:

cr.mk will combo into lp elbow, if it hits you're something like +2 so you can do a mp(?)/throw mixup. I don't remember what it is on block but I think it's safe? Maybe.

I don't know off the top of my head, but if it's not at least close, I can't see a reason for it to exist. Not that that's ever stopped capcom.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Ixiggle posted:

lp elbow is -2 on block, you just lose momentum if it doesn't land. You still have some options if its blocked, jab will win more than it should and ex elbow can armor through a lot. For the other questions, cr.mp, cr.hp, st.lp/lk and cr.mk are all fine for cancelling into elbow, cr.hp does the most dmg/best range but is slower so riskier. I don't know her jump normals well but j.hk probably hits farther forward than j.hp, so it has some use for tagging people with max range jumps that are hard to AA. if you still wanna use f.hp there are ways to make it safe but I don't know em.

If you're not already, start replacing command grabs with backthrows. Her backthrow easily allows for another mixup, can loop into itself and can be done right after lp elbow. If someone jumps you can react punish them with hp elbow. You don't even lose that much damage doing it over the command throw, and its faster!

Thanks! I saw a vid that showed off a lot of the backthrow tech yesterday and it looked cool. How should I start working in her v-skills? I don't see many people talking about her V-Dashing and the only things I've seen about the overhead is that you want to keep it at max range, it's cancelable (or cancelable into?) and it causes a crush counter on people in the air. I would have figured this would be an option after that back throw but it didn't get mentioned. Is there some other overhead for her that's more useful?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
As someone who sucks balls at combos with more than 3 parts, I'm lovin' Laura. Some questions though...

Can someone explain in simpler terms than usual what her dash's utility is? I know people say it's cancellable from normals/specials(?)...does that mean you can backdash out of blocked strings? or that it automatically links from them like mp->bolt charge?

When people say that the back throw sets up a loop...is it on me to time their get up? When I saw a vid on it it looked like there wasn't variable timing for getting up

I get swept all drat day, especially at the end of blockstrings. What are some options for avoiding that? Neutral jumping? Just learning to stop hitting buttons all the time?

What's the philosophy behind her fireballs? They're obviously real good for making it safe to go forward from long range but I'm just sort of winging it otherwise and tend to forget about them.

I'm desperate for any and all Laura beginner info really. I can post a vid if anyone wants but it's like day 2 of playing her and not even from after I played through her normal challenge and developed a slightly better offense.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 5, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ah yeah I watched that one. I'll watch it some more.

How do people usually incorporate her fireballs? Like what's the general purpose in her gameplan?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Just take away Jon Snows healing CA and I'm good.

Edit: And 3rding the message that the new Excellent Adventures with Infiltration is really funny. The one before it with Xian is no slouch either.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 5, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
/roast me

Pt 1 - The Breakdown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1S1sTebcY0

Pt 2 - The Taunt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BatjNBoqTHo

Pt 3 - The Breakdown redux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD2ZRehh378

I get too salty and forget to regrab my losses for posting here, but here's a set I probably shouldn't have won. Don't actually roast me this is like day 3 and it takes me a longo time to get good but I'll take any advice. Despite appearances I really was trying to find time for a throw mixup but just couldn't get it rolling, I'm going to spend tonight trying not to worry too much about losing and forcing myself to stay grounded and find dash in throws. I have a bad habit of throwing unsafe everything, but particularly mp bolt charge.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 6, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Real hurthling! posted:

hey intel lets play tonight i also lose to 700lp ryu's all the time

Man I lose to Ryu's with straight 0's across the board. Edit: Cammy's too but if they forget to do cannon strike I can bet 1000lp's.

I'm usually on after 8pm pst to midnight or so. Depending on how fast the wife kills off her Hearthstone quests.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Can you get random chars in friendlies?

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

Your offense is mostly purposeless and your defense is nonexistent. You should look for more solid hits into special move instead of guessing overhead and leaving damage off landed jabs, crush counter hk, etc. On defense just block, dont try to sneak in hits. Wait for them to push out or jump and escape.

Thanks, Are we talking like cr.HP or st.MP into specials? And what are people usually doing with landed jabs with Laura?

Edit: capcom name is "hugo_is_number1", psn Necrokart. Mention SFV in a message or my wife will think you're an ESO person.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

dhamster posted:

I was about to give a bunch of feedback until I realized you were the Laura

I wouldn't be opposed to reading that if it's not erased.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Though now that i think about it overwatch is a pretty decent fighting game

Yeah out of all the things Overwatch does well (a lot), I was most impressed by Blizzard achieving the 2000's dream of "It's got characters like a fighting game but it's a...". Their gimmicks, differentiation, and simplicity hits that sweet spot.

It's weird, it's almost like the lack of work on each character makes them feel more FG style. Their backstory is tossed off, they're aggressively styled to make up for it, no one is fussed over and made into an obvious star.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 10, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Goetta posted:

Also to back up with what the burned out guy said, trying to practice this game while getting reamed by 10 silver Guiles online in a row then finally finding one dude who is at your skill level and losing to dumb poo poo you know you can beat is incredibly disheartening. Like really makes you want to stop playing that game.

Welcome to the world of Street Fighter V....prepare for battle!

Just gotta find a salt coping mechanism or get used to this. Whenever I need to blow off steam I play as Vega and look for someone who hasn't figured out Flying Barcelona yet. So much fun having those be a DP motion now. I hate charging. I'm terrible.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Goetta posted:

I know it is a common complaint but I just wished the game offered like anything at all for someone who hasn't been playing fighting games against other people the past decade. Single players stuff, some sort of skill filtering in the online queue, or maybe an actual rookie only pool you can play in for like 100 matches or something (even if the queue takes forever). The game play is super fun and I want to keep playing it but throw me a bone Capcom.

It would be one thing if playing against good people made you better at the game but there is a level where it feels like the opposite. Like I'm not learning anything against Super Silver Vega beyond that I can probably manage to land a jab to avoid giving him a perfect.

You just gotta get out of randoms and find a group to battle lounge with, any group. Are you playing casual matchmaking or ranked? Because I'm starting to wonder if there's a Hearthstone effect going on here where "casual" is actually full of good people who don't want their numbers to go down while they work out some kinks on their char and ranked is mostly dummies like me who don't actually care what their number is.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Judging from the love of buttons I'm guessing he used to work on kingdom hearts

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Those are both ok games so probably not. We should play randoms again sometime hurthy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SectumSempra posted:

Also sometimes is that you expect too much from them and should just see whats coming for what it is.

This forever. Sometimes you just need to focus to take stock of what came before and just assume its coming again.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Microwaves Mom posted:

when is SFV going to be good?

We did, I also have someone trying to sell me on "Meera (Jojen's sister, traveling with Bran) is Jon Snows twin"

otoh, free coffee owns.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lmao, whoops

But free coffee is good.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I like the online because sometimes a person will beat me by just a bit and then not give me the runback, which is even better than winning. I give everyone a full set unless the game matches me up with a ridiculous mismatch and it's clear that it's a waste of time for both of us. If it's even slightly interesting or fun I'll let it go because 5 lp who cares.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

dhamster posted:

Sometimes when the matchmaking pool is really shallow my opponent refuses runback and I get matched with them again anyway

What's your guys' LP level? I'm constantly hovering at the spot between bronze and superbronze and I've never had to wait more than a minute for a match, and at least half of them are close enough skill-wise if not exactly league-wise.

And I'm not sure how we'd be able to tell but how reliable are people's country flags? Sometimes if I stay up super late on west coast I'll end up playing Korean and Japanese flags all night but only a few of them actually have foreign alphabet PSN names.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I played FANG all weekend. Bronze league owns, if zoning doesn't work and my fraud rear end can't cr.mk/cr.hk my way to victory there's always a chance you can just spam the gently caress out of st.HK and win. Boobs are cool. Laura is a good char.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah

Cfn rocsfeather

You can rope me in on that. I hover right on the border of bronze and ultra bronze depending on which character I hated myself enough to play that day. I'm usually a too aggro Laura but I can play Gief, Ryu, Fang, and Vega badly too.

CFN Hugo_is_number1

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Eat more potatoes, skinny nerds

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Corbeau posted:

Parries.

The warframe ripoff guy has a sword-deflects-bullets mode

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Playing FANG online is a lot of fun and makes for good blocking practice. I'm too in love with his sweep though I need to stop doing it so much.

Edit: Is there a point to doing any version of his poison carpet/geyser that's not HK? Any other general FANG tips for someone just starting out? I'm pretty much just trying to copy Xians zoning and then mostly failing at everything else unless the person is completely unprepared for his jump HK or sweep. also, does anything combo out of cr.mk?

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 25, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

dhamster posted:

I remember a contingent of goons in the OW thread were pretty sick of it after a short time in alpha. The whole internet seems to like it now so :shrug:

Yeah that was me and then I bought it anyway so idk

Its a fun game and the lore is screaming INCOMING HORDE MODE which should also be fun.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

If I could refund this game I probably would. I even like the actual game but it's like Capcom is actively trying to make the player base smaller and more angry.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Dias posted:

true i fuckin' loved tekken 3

Same. Me and my brother used to go into training mode, turn the damage off and then wail on eachother for entire afternoons. I don't know what it was but that game hit the PS1 at juuuuuuuuust the right time and everyone bought it and loved it. iirc it also had amazing graphics and framerate for the system.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

AnonSpore posted:

Whoa whoa sorry guys that tweet about Ibuki coming out in June was totally wrong, my bad I shouldn't have brought you that faulty information

https://twitter.com/EvilMrWizard/status/737741518841122817

They're going to release Urien to like 3 people lol

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If they kickstarted this game they would've had enough money to shame them into actually working on it

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

AnonSpore posted:

The unmoving shimmy.........

So this is the power of satsui no walko

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I used to be a street fighter like you...then I took a money from sony

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
They'd need to patch damage in first before giving it to anyone.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Goddamn baka gaijin at it again

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
What are the chances they relicense Marvel or find a new series to VS? Sounded like there was a little hope behind the wording of what Disney/Marvel is going to do now that they said gently caress videogames.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

S.J. posted:

One of those stunts where the rope breaks due to lack of oversight and someone dies on stage

Capcom vs. Spiderman: Turn off the dark

fake edit: would.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Capcom: We need money
Microsoft: hell no
Sony: Make us a street fighter game and we'll give you money
Capcom: Oh poo poo, for real? uh, here's like...most of one. Maybe we'll finish it later.
Sony: Aw, what the
Microsoft: Here's our money too
Everyone: lol what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If Bison plunged the whole world into no-sun darkness....why are there day stages? MY IMMMEERRRRSION