Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

kalstrams posted:

Your line of thought is the penultimate achievement of Putin's policies.
Penultimate means second to last. What do you think is/will be his final achievement? Restoring Tsarist Russia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

He got you there.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Fuckin' geometry, how does it work?
Jewish Physics Western Geometry. :argh:

anilEhilated posted:

The USSR, in a more fascist variation. Tsarist Russia obviously doesn't encompass all that's rightfully Property Of The Russian Empire.
Tsarist Russia was bigger than the USSR though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

kalstrams posted:

Opus magnum of Putin definitely will be the restoration of former statehood, though I think of that of the Soviet Union.
An unambitious little troll of a man. (Yeah, he would probably judge Poland too be too much trouble.)

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, that's right. Make is USSR with all the satellites. And Finland for good measure, it's obviously been Russian all along.
Russia is anywhere a Russian soldier has shed blood in service to the Motherland.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

loving Starship Troopers is starting to look peachy compared to Russia.
Wait for Putin to drop a nuke on St. Petersburg.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

I am reasonably optimistic that President Trump wouldn't nuke the world because he's been concerned about nuclear proliferation and war since 1987 (long read).
It's nice to see journalists back then misunderstood technical stuff as much as they do now. Kinda funny to imagine hearing the concept of a nuclear explosion blowing up nearby warheads, and concluding that the idea is that you'd have missiles crashing into each other. Interesting article though, I'm 100% in favor of a 1988 Trump presidency now.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

The Pope should start excommunicating people again, imho.
The Pope should excommunicate countries.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

cyberbully posted:

Hungary seemed the same way, yet they've become much friendlier with Russia in recent years due to their common worldview to Putin and rampant conspiracy theories about U.S. and EU influence. I wonder why Hungary has turned the way it has where they try to use both the west and Russia to their benefit, whereas Poland is still all-in with hatred towards Russia despite having similar conservative values. Hungary has just as much of a reason to view Russia as the enemy from their well-remembered 1956 revolution, yet so many of them blame the U.S. for not saving them rather than blame the Russians who were the ones actually performing the massacre in Budapest.
Could that perhaps have something to do with Russia being at or near the top of Poland's poo poo list for centuries, including an extended period of direct subjugation, while Hungary has nowhere near the same history???

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

There's very little common history between the Hungarians and the Slavs of the Habsburg Empire. If anything, the relationship is one of historical antagonism, with the Slavs often uniting with the Empire's Germans against the Hungarians who tried to subjugate Slavs within their domain. Notably during the 1840s rebellion in Hungary, Czech leaders lobbied at the Viennese court to be allowed to field a volunteer army of Czechs and Slovaks against Hungarians who were seen as more of a menace than the Austrian Germans.
Actually, on the topic, how is the Habsburg Empire viewed in the Czech Republic today? I'm guessing much less negatively than Poland vis-a-vis Russia? Not that that might not be damning with faint praise.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

To a large extent the rule of Franz Joseph is seen with a misty-eyed nostalgia, as a halcyon days period of our national history. This, however, has less to do with actual political history, and more with the way the period has been romanticized as a sort of a naive, lazy and innocent, pastoral era only slightly marred by the benign dictatorship of a kindly Emperor by popular authors, including pillars of Czech pop culture like Hrabal, Hašek, and the Jára Cimrman people. I think it's fair to say that in the popular subconsciousness the late Habsburg monarchy became an idealized counterpart to the Communist regime, a call back to a period when the nation still had its full potential, both economic and moral, unspoiled by wars and ideological dictatorship.
Thanks, makes sense.

steinrokkan posted:

As for a more serious view of the overally period of Habsburg rule, it's been traditionally negative among scholars, seen as a dark age, but there's been a growing faction since the 19th century basically rehabilitating the modern Catholic history of Bohemia under Austria, and the cohabitation of Czechs and Germans as essentially a product of reciprocal forces between the Czech and German elements, and I think nowadays this camp has more credibility than the traditionalist view of the quintessentially Protestant Czech nation, descended from the Hussites, being suppressed by the xenophobic Austrians.
Please stand firm against the Counter-Reformation.

Palpek posted:

How exactly are they planning to track if somebody is going to have a same sex marriage?
You know how you can definitely tell someone is a terrorist by looking at them? Gay people work the same way.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

A Pale Horse posted:

A survey showing how much Poles like people of other nations was released and surprise! We don't really like anyone! Except maybe the Czechs! I don't know why either!

The title says: Relation of Poles to Nations and Ethnic Groups

The columns are Green: Sympathy, Grey: Indifference, Red: Dislike, Blue: Hard to Say

I think most of you can figure out what the ethnic groups being referred to are. I'll just say Wlosi are Italians, Niemcy are Germans and Zydzi are Jews because those don't look that similar to other countries names in non moonspeak.
I had hoped for better, but I'll take ninth place.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Well, getting rid of the "republic" bit feels honest to current development if anything.
Who's the new king and prince-elector?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

NAT-T Ice posted:

Who are these Americans you're finding that actually know what Chechnya is?

Hell even after the Boston Bombings I'm not sure 50%would know.
That's why they were calling for an invasion of the Czech Republic.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

So the newstatesman had an article about the plane crash fear mongering going on in Poland now. In it it talked about the idiots calling for Tusk to be tried. Is there any chance of PiS actually going through with this?
The rest of the EU will stand by the President.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

A Pale Horse posted:

PiS is going full Putin.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/06/10/now-polands-government-is-coming-after-the-internet/

I'll give them this, they're executing their plan for authoritarian dystopia very competently. Remember when some of you thought they would just be a more right wing PO and called me hysterical for being alarmed? lol.
Wasn't the EU threatening the Polish government with consequences if it didn't stop doing this kind of poo poo?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

That's a strange choice of word, 'trained'. It implies that there's some outside entity (Russian military or secret police :tinfoil: ) training hooligans. If they didn't want to imply that then they should've gone with 'hard core', 'experienced', 'veteran', etc. Other major football tournaments also had some uruk hai hooligans.
Going off one documentary about Eastern European hooliganism I saw, trained doesn't seem entirely inappropriate. Like, they seemed to train as much for the clashes with the other side's hooligans as the players did for their matches, at least that's how I remember it. And occasionally arranged fights without there even being any match to fight over. Seemed especially serious in Russia.

Anyone with actual first hand (or at least in-country) knowledge of Eastern European hooligans?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rincewinds posted:

Finally we will get to know Trump's glove size.
Having read this thread, and its previous iterations, this is clearly just Putin collecting kompromat on Trump so they can do great deals with each other, and give him a heads up for the coming campaign so Clinton doesn't win.

Lichtenstein posted:

In Poland at least there's a "hooligan league" where groups set up skirmishes (along with rules what weapons are allowed for a given fight and expected group size) and assign each other points for who won. The meet-ups are often connected to their team's friendly matches, but not necessarily, if there's a period of boredom. They're often pretty chill towards each other post-battle (as opposed to intra-city semi-criminal rivalry, where you can get your head macheted off).

kalstrams posted:

Further north-east from Poland it's not as organised as in Poland, I'd say, but there nonetheless are training skirmishes and such, and the whole collective gym going etc. Same people sometimes also have a hand in shady "business" stuff, so just saying "trained Russian hooligans" is one of the most believable things you can say about them. Trained on Putin's orders by military or something is a conspiracy theory as good as any other, without proof, but claiming that radical Eastern European sports fans lack organisation is just a work of fiction, in my opinion.

alex314 posted:

Imagine the amount of courage needed to travel to Football World Cup in Russia to cheer for your team when said team plays Russia. Now imagine your team wins... That's some Warriors poo poo..
Thanks, that does match pretty well my perception of the more hardcore "hooligans" in Eastern Europe. And yeah, I can just imagine your regular slightly rowdy Western European fans getting into some real nasty situations if left unsupervised.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Considering how connected Trump is to the Kremlin (for instance, his campaign manager got Yanukovich to oust Timoshenko in Ukraine) and how badly they want someone other than Hilary to weaken NATO and the sanctions, they would definitely be sharing that information.
Yeah, using that kind of stuff to influence American elections actually kinda seem like a pretty solid way to exert "soft power" of the Russian variety, "giving the Americans a taste of their own medicine."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

That looks like they're blaming Dracula.
If Dracula was still around, Europe would be safe from the Muslim menace.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

Because it was not Hungaria as the glorious country that made these posters but some crazy organisation: http://brexit.language-rights.eu/
In the spirit of this thread, I'm going to say that Russia is behind it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Nato and europe in general should do a massive rollout of nuclear power and switching over to electric and waste-heat (from the reactors, which will be conveniently located within cities!) hot water systems to both hit their climate change targets and to be able to tell russia to gently caress off with their lovely gas.
IIRC, political issues aside, there's kind of practical limit to how fast you can do this due to bottle necks in the production of reactor vessels. Though I'm thinking that's not the only bottle neck, if you want them to be safe. At this point, wind and solar are starting to mature to the point you could just use those plus heat pumps to take care of our power and heating needs anyway.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah that's working really great for germany.
Well, Germany started the roll out of solar back when it was significantly more expensive, and it hasn't truly treated the subject seriously enough, more like a handout to the upper middle class. Obviously they shouldn't have turned off their nuclear power, but solar and wind could be the backbone of a pan-European strategic effort to become energy independent, though nuclear power probably also has a place. Especially already existing nuclear power.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Are Poles just a tiny bit obsessed with resurrecting heroes of the past?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

Yes and yes. You have to realize that Poland only just regained independence after over a hundred years of non-existence and Pilsudski's conquers shortly afterwards are a symbol for many, not only nationalists. Of course it's all romantic rose-colored version of history.
I guess we can't all have a guardian viking carrying a sword from Arthurian legends protecting the realm, so some countries just have to settle for politicians.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

This is closer to the truth than you imagine. Other legendary heroes include Pope John Paul II and all Polish kings at times of prosperity (like Wladyslaw Jagiello). They were all holy, pure and could have done nothing wrong.
Still not as cool as a legendary viking-knight. :colbert:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

What is there to talk about? Europeans buying American arms is basically a requirement if they want to have a military.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Back when the Tartars settled the region, the upstarts we know today as "Russians" were still just a bunch of Muscowite regional aristocrats.
While Crimea was inhabited by Greeks, Goths, and various steppe peoples who had arrived after the Romans left.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The new Polish postal service uniform looks a tad fascist.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

David Cameron looks like what he thought was a fart was actually something more, and the guy behind him just realized.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kristov posted:

Lol. Is that merkel in the middle looking around awkwardly?

"poo poo, I knew I should've worn navy blue."
It's how you know she's the leader of the EU, she gets to wear clothes that stand out among all the other leaders.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Don't forget half the Belgians and some of the Canadians!
Just because someone speaks French doesn't mean they're a crybaby about their language not getting the respect it deserves.

Cat Mattress posted:

English and French are both official languages of the organization, it's been like this since it was created, deal with it. :frogc00l:
Because the French are massive crybabies when it comes to language. Like, I'm pretty sure every single field, from politics to architecture to science has had some French dude crying about English superseding French in some organization, and probably leaving it or starting his own rival organization that respects the French language.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

The one who is a crybaby about language here is the one who is going "boohoo why do languages other than English exist". NATO has two official languages, deal with it.
I'm perfectly fine with other languages than English existing, hell, one of them is my mother tongue. I just think it's ridiculous that the French want to waste everyone's time and money foisting their language on organizations like it's some sacred thing instead of just being pragmatic and using the lingua franca.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

And I just think it's been like this since NATO was created in 1949 and whining about it now is what is really a waste of everyone's time.
The attitude persists. Also, what is or used to be is not an argument against what should be.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

fishmech posted:

There's this thing called "armies" that exist. I hear they can be used against Russians.
Yeah, and I don't imagine the Poles are going to sit on their hands if the Russians roll into the Baltics, even if some Western Europeans would prefer that they did.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

axelord posted:

To Free the Baltic countries we would need to take out Russian AA, Radar and Air units. Making a first strike nuclear attack on Russia easier.

In the middle of a war it's going to be impossible to see the difference between attacks made for freeing the Baltics and attacks made as a prelude to a nuclear strike.
You know, nuclear warheads generally come in missiles now, not bombers.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

axelord posted:

In war it's hard enough to know exactly what your own forces are doing let alone know exactly what your enemy is doing. In the Cold War we almost had nuclear war set off because a flock of birds. With missiles flying at both sides people dying how is anyone not going to see the worst intentions in their enemies?
That's totally irrelevant to your idiotic point. Destroying Russian conventional forces operating in the Baltic region does nothing to make a first strike on Russia easier, because none of that poo poo can defend against nukes in the first place. Nuclear warheads don't just fall gently from the sky, they speed across it at 20 times the speed of sound.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

A Pale Horse posted:

Until Putin decides he wants Finlands incredibly valuable bogs and the legions of weapons grade mosquitoes. :colbert:
Putin is going to take Finland just to get to Sweden, to gain control of one of the greatest strategic resources in the world; affordable flat pack furniture.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Mostly because British people tend to think that all our petty thieves & so forth moved here from Eastern Europe. Despite petty crime existing before Britain was in the EU.
It's not really surprising anyway, since all the Romanian thieves left for Britain.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

awesome-express posted:

Lizards are not vampires, a common mistake
Lizards are reverse vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011