Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Holy poo poo

Regardless of CGI quality, the idea of this choice of direction being somehow appropriate or even cool is what makes me go :stare:

Unless this is some kind of a shitpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

it doesn't loving look anything like any pryanik i've ever seen, that's for sure :stare:

also lmao at this guy calling pryaniks "inferior cookies". just wow

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Dwesa posted:

Did the artist run out of budget on bronze when he got to head?

Nah the dude's head was this small irl, pls no small head shaming thx

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
watching the elections on russian tv with my nan now while i'm visiting Back Home, and it's actually kinda interesting to watch it unfold

while united russia has won (of course) i'm kind of sensing a note of desperation present throughout, and i'm honestly surprised by how well the KPRF are polling. of course it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things - it's not like they're anywhere close to being actual communists, or actual opposition for that matter - but i haven't seen united russia do so poorly for quite a while, and continuous attempts to sell it as some great patriotic Victory really fall flat this time, even when taken at face value

i'm also kinda surprised/weirded out by seeing Zahar Prilepin - an actual honest-to-god nazbol - somehow getting 6%+ on a joint ticket with Sergei Mironov of all people as a co-chair of A Just Russia of all parties (at least that's what im gathering, i haven't followed russian politics for quite a while and it was a bit of a "wait, what :stare: " moment for me once i realised that lol)

nurmie fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 19, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Paladinus posted:

New People are basically United Russia 2.0 aimed at people who are just weary of the old faces (hence the name).

yeah i was wondering about these guys, but a cursory wikipedia check tells me that "United Russia 2.0" is indeed an apt description

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Erulisse posted:

Yep found it. Timings do seem weird though.

weird how?

also, can we please refrain from making weird conspirological claims about school shootings? doesn't it seem a bit unnecessary (not to mention in bad taste)?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
it says a lot about the quality of Remain campaign that Corbyn, for all his faults so diligently listed upthread, was one of the most efficient and active campaigners for Remain, despite, yes, being a noted eurosceptic :v:

libdems (the most pro-Remain party) together with Change UK The Independent Group (a bunch of pro-remain anti-Corbyn liberal MPs peeling off Labour to form their own cool party) completely loving up any chance at having a customs union (and thus softest brexit possible) was cool and good too

nurmie fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 30, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The actual revisionism bit is this parade of posters I’m seeing for the first time in this thread moving the goal posts at speed or sound, because, presumably, someone dares to criticise their favourite politician to any whatsoever extent. At least come up with something more credible than claiming that I deem Corbyn to be the root cause of Brexit becoming a reality.

The point of this entire “conversation” was to highlight that Tusk, unlike Corbyn, is actually enthusiastic about European integration, which is a comparative advantage the Polish opposition does enjoy.

The problem is, this comparison kind of falls flat, seeing as the general political situation in the UK at the time of referendum and Poland now are quite different, as it has been pointed out. Not to mention your critique of Corbyn re: his handling of the Remain campaign amounting to little but regurgitating some stale talking points generally coming from people much more responsible for Brexit happening the way it happened than Corbyn ever was.

The fact that a bunch of people lurking this thread delurked to point this out should probably not be dismissed as "moving the goalposts" or "revisionism" or any sort of "lol u mad". I'd advise to treat it as a learning moment instead.

Re Tusk being enthusiastic about EU and all that - most of the UK establishment prior to Brexit was pretty enthusiastic about staying with EU, PM David Cameron included. We all know how that ended up going. While I personally doubt this is indicative of what's going to happen in Poland, it's still something to consider, I'd say.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
yeah these stats align with my own experience of talking about these kinds of issues with Russian/Russian-speaking people. at the very least, there's usually an understanding that an entirely innocent person might find themselves locked up essentially on a whim of some silovik or other. if anything, westerners tend to be more susceptible to the whole "it's a just world, if they're in prison surely they deserve everything that happens to them" line of thinking (this is anecdotal, of course)

kinda makes me wonder though why that poster assumed that the Russians wouldn't see prison rape and torture on a systematic scale as something bad

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i mean, even if Putin suddenly croaks tomorrow, his friends and benefactors from the FSB and other assorted siloviki / organised crime groups are still there to provide a semblance of a backbone to the rotten blobfish that is the modern Russian state

how strong is that backbone gonna be against the inevitable and instantaneous rat race for control is another story. hopefully not as bad as the nineties, but something tells me the vast forests of Russia will be well-fertilized with uncooperative business owners, board members and local government officials

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

That set is giving me serious 90s public TV flashbacks Those ugly armchairs, that even uglier tablecloth, those random plants :pwn:

belorussian media has never really progressed past early 2000s sensibilites

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

What you just wrote is word for word what america does in the Middle East

thank you for pointing this out; however, last time i checked this thread was neither about America nor about Middle East.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
no no no, oligarchs just spontaneously materialised all over russia one day in 1992. clearly some nefarious plot by americans. maybe some DARPA superweapon

nothing to do with disastrous economic policies of the late USSR, nothing to do with the existence of shadow economy that rivalled the official one in size and ran on a "who knows who" basis and was fertile grounds for all sorts of criminal shenanigans, nothing to do with the tremendously overgrown and festering security apparatus which revelled in the opportunity to join in on the aforementioned shenanigans, building new wealth and new capital and new power one thermorectal cryptoanalysis session at a time

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s been a really long time since I’ve last seen that Lurkmore reference in the wild. That said, I’m fairly certain you and OddObserver are in agreement, unless I’m losing my way in this onion of ironic sarcasm.

i mean, it's a reference to a very real and very horrible thing first and foremost (irl torture tends to be much less imaginative and much more banal than how it gets presented in the media, which makes it that much more revolting)

and yeah, i'm not disagreeing with OddObserver, this was more aimed at folks doing the yanksplaining

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Truga posted:

yes, but we already knew stalin was right

i see you're quite into overgrown, bloated, festering state security apparatuses

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Owling Howl posted:

It seems to be the case in a lot of very varied societies so there must be a number of ways to arrive at the same destination.

yeah tbh i'm personally not a big fan of folks presenting "bLaT" (ask the current UK PM about the importance of knowing the Right People) or mYsTic SlAvIc InfoRmal DealIngs (aka befriending said Right People and using their influence to make life/business/access to goods and services that much easier) as something uniquely russian or eastern european or solely existing in totalitarian societies. it literally happens everywhere in the world (yes that includes cushy Nordic and Western European countries and the US of A) - though of course the scale / sheer audacity of it might be different. or it's just a bit better-hidden from the plebs the polite society i guess

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

FishBulbia posted:

every behavior is unique to its culture and situation. Everything is unique even if analogues exist. Traffic exists both in LA and Moscow, but I think it would be pretty dumb to claim that LA traffic is actually Moscow traffic. Moscow traffic can only happen in and around Moscow.

"unique" is an extremely strong word, especially when it comes to human behaviour

like yeah you get certain peculiarities but generally corruption remains corruption, traffic remains traffic, people remain people; and if their material conditions are similar their experiences can align in many remarkable ways, even if they live on the other side of the globe

FishBulbia posted:

Blat of the type Fitzpatrick discusses isn't job networking. It's food networking. Or networking to fufill a basic bureaucratic task. It often wasn't viewed as corruption.

if i may ask, are you speaking from personal/family experience here or is your interest in and knowledge of this topic purely academical?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Having lived in Scandinavia and worked for Western European companies, knowing the right people there is just a privilege of the affluent. Which, in all fairness, works better for the laypeople there, as no Swedish kid has to bribe their GP to get prescribed effective medication like I had to. Neither do they experience road police shake downs like it was routine here not even a decade ago. The net quality of life difference that accountability for small fishes makes is surprisingly large, and I’m fairly happy to observe that Latvia, if unsteadily at times, is moving there as well.

oh yeah "everyday" corruption/bribery in the UK/Nordics/Western Europe is definitely nowhere near as pervasive as it is/was Back Home :v: it's generally ranging from nonexistent to "background radiaton" levels in my experience. now higher level stuff, that's a slightly different story (as our good friend Rosneft chairman Gerhard Schröder can probably attest)

nurmie fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 27, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

FishBulbia posted:

No. I wasn't alive during Stalin and I haven't had any family who served in Soviet anti-corruption organs. I'm guessing you did?

excuse me but what the gently caress are you talking about

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

FishBulbia posted:

You just asked me If I had any personal experience with blat in the context of Everyday Stalinism. I'm guessing you do?

i don't recall anyone invoking loving stalin in this discussion

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

Stalin is always implied in the EE thread

ah, should've guessed there's that particular spectre haunting this thread :v:

FishBulbia posted:

You were responding to a comment about Fitzpatrick's Everyday Stalinism.

not familiar neither with the book nor the author. though this does answer my question about the nature of your knowledge on this particular topic, yeah

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

FishBulbia posted:

So what am I getting wrong then? Informal networks did not exist? Is Fitzpatrick wrong? Or is this something that went away in 1953 and there were no more informal networks?

i mean yeah, i'd appriciate if you clarified what is it that you're trying to say. your previous posts do seem somewhat contradictory to each other (though maybe my mystical slavic brain is too emotional to comprehend your clear and logical vision). case in point:

FishBulbia posted:

every behavior is unique to its culture and situation. Everything is unique even if analogues exist. Traffic exists both in LA and Moscow, but I think it would be pretty dumb to claim that LA traffic is actually Moscow traffic. Moscow traffic can only happen in and around Moscow.

FishBulbia posted:

And I never claimed informal networks arose out of anything besides material conditions. You're the one who conjured up the idea that I was somehow making a statement about unique slavic mentality or something. If you had collectivization in greenland or delaware I'm sure the same networks would emerge.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Discendo Vox posted:

Also of potential interest to the thread, the Forgotten Weapons youtube channel had a video of its host discussing (and firing) a PSRL, a sort of American-made RPG knockoff that is sold internationally to specifically go places where soldiers already know how to use RPGs, prominently to Ukraine. The host has an exec at the company that manufactures it give a spiel with some very interesting choices of framing.

jesus loving christ

extremely powerful used car salesman vibes emanating from this guy

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

aphid_licker posted:

Was it, y'know, fun? The fact that this dude could post there seems like a red flag

i was never a part of it so i wouldn't know as to how it actually was / is, but quite a few prominent media / internet people had accounts there

i do recall one notable event where a Lepra user had promised some 14-year old kid an invite if he takes a photo of himself naked and with a flag sticking out his bum, which that poor kid actually went and did. that Lepra user then proceeded to post said photos on the russian equivalent of 4chan

which i guess kinda maps onto that one particular mod challenge

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

For my fellow Latvian posters here - you know how people, especially those with affection for USSR, ask what is it that Latvia gets out of EU membership, which it could’ve not gotten “remaining with brothers”? I have finally solved the enigma.

the more i look at it the more cursed it becomes

also i have always felt that latvian food products are better than lithuanian ones. at least that was child me's assertion made over the course of numerous visits. and of course, Kārums glazed bars still remain unbeaten

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
šakotis is very good if it's fresh and not too large, yes

i'm personally a huge fan of šaltibaršis too (though i'm pretty sure that's not quite a lithuanian invention as i'm pretty sure i have encountered it in latvia), and dranniki

that said, in my experience there is a pretty significant overlap in regional cuisines across the baltics and nearby ex-soviet countries - and certain dishes almost have somewhat of a pan-ex-soviet feel to them at this point (i blame that О вкусной и здоровой пище book)

(one thing i could never get into is loving холодец. i've no idea why so many people insist on jellying bones and meats into a weird alien-looking blob and then insist on thinking it's good actually)

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

... did you guys really just decide to call it "cold borsch" like that?

There are a lot of similar soups in other countries yeah, including окрошка, the холодец of soups. Холодник as made in Lithuania and Latvia is also common in Belarus, Ukraine, and Russia with no major recipe changes.

it's also literally called холодный борщ in russian too, which is kinda weird when you think about it

weird thing is, i don't recall encountering it at all in Russia itself - окрошка is much more of a thing there in my experience. oh, and that weird tomato-and-kefir thing which is a transgression against cold soups everywhere

(i probably should stop derailing the thread with food talk. sorry everyone!)

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I've never experienced it being called холодный борщ in Russian - usually холодник, seldom свекольник.

huh, might be a regional thing then (i didn't realise for a very long time that Russian speakers from other places generally don't call a beetroot "бурак")

(i'd go on a diatribe about regional dialects and тутэйшие here but i think that's enough self-doxxing for the time being lol)

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
polish food is either Really Good (see flaczki; a culinary masterpiece) or, well, really not-so-good (see this abomination; this horrific perversion of olivier as a concept)

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Arzachel posted:

I'm not touching any of the olivier varieties but all the salad talk made me extremely nostalgic for crab salad (rice, crab sticks, canned corn, cucumber, mayo).

this is indeed an incredibly Powerful salad and i am happy to report that around 50% of all food i have consumed over the last two days or so have been this salad (new year food season started early this year :v:)

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m into the third kilogram of mandarin oranges over here, and have only had them and sandwiches since Christmas Day. Going to keep it like this until 31st, which is when I plan to make olivier and start planning return to sanity.

now THIS is a diet plan i can get behind (also, i need to get me some mandarins asap)

Rust Martialis posted:

Scandinavians can play too - Danish "Russian Salad"

2-3 cooked beets
3-4 pickled cucumbers
1 apple
1 small red onion
2 tbsp. capers
3-4 cooked potatoes
2 tbsp. grated horseradish
ca. 3-4 dl mayonnaise
ca. 1 dl creme fraiche

I would not eat this abomination

this looks like an unholy mix of olivier, vinegret and like half of dressed herring and i almost want to try it

(i don't really like beets (outside the dressed herring/борщ context at least), which probably means i fail some True Eastern Europeanness evaluation rating or something)

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Gross

Oh poo poo, 35 new posts, did someone get invaded again?

Nope it's just disgusting salad chat :v:

i'll have you know that within the majestic lands of Eastern Europe, how disgusting a salad can get directly correlates with how Good it is

(honestly, i think there should be another salad-related word in English to differenciate the, uh, traditionally-salady salads from heavier, punchier offerings such as olivier or various potato salads and coleslaws)

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

a podcast for cats posted:

An Eastern Europe thresd with these salad descriptions wouldn't last an hour in GBS. They take perceived food blandness very seriously there.

i'd like to watch an average GBS food connoisseur try and tackle foods spiced with authentically-nuclear EE horseradish

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
disgusting olivier salad status: assembled (pic related)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm only now starting to peel potatoes. Going to be a 00:00 salad delivery.

JIT olivier compilation

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Paladinus posted:

Didn't have Olivier or fur coat herring, but had a version of the beetroot salad someone posted here, and it was good. Happy New Year!

yes, fur coat herring was sadly missing from my new year's menu too, alas

Happy New Year, thread!!!

Su Naujaisiais metais!!!

С новым годом)))

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Well folks the invasion is happening. The 45th Guards have landed in designated areas and are currently sabotaging rail networks and bridges while Heavy fighting occurs in kharkov, dnipro and Mariupol.

Just kidding. Another boring day in Ukraines existential crisis.

you want this to happen, don't you

you'd like to watch civilians die under airstrikes as you sate your murderlust, wanking off with one hand and typing some boilerplate bullshit with the other. something about Putin being Bad, to fool yourself into a false sense of righteousness

i suppose your other sources of fresh combat footage ran dry or something

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

I mean Putin, today, who is for all the faults of Kyiv a way worse and regressive autocrat standing in opposition to all modern progressive values than anybody with any chance of gaining power in Ukraine.

i don't think putin has anything to do with the side that was opposing actual irl Nazis back in the day, does he? well apart from cynically using whatever legacy and iconography he can get his grubby hands on in order to bolster the legitimacy of the current russian government

i *really* wish ex-ussr countries stopped playing right into his hands by trying to counter his ideological plays and ending up glorifying real actual loving nazis. that would be nice. like how nice it was when they removed the plaque for Jonas loving Noreika (the absense of which lasted for all about 2 months or so, but still :smith:). i don't see why plaques to people like that should be present in centres of capital cities (or anywhere, really)

nurmie fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 7, 2022

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Doctor Malaver posted:

Not that it matters much, but Stalin was IMO the worse of the two. Hitler was lawful evil and his evil system had clear enemies and rules an average citizen could play by. Stalin's rule devoured (in addition to regular enemies) his own allies, military commanders, artists, and entirely random people. It was a paranoid hell with no rhyme or reason, from which Russia still carries an unseen burden.

Ah yes, Lawful Evil Hitler, setting up clear rules.

Jesus loving Christ, you really do not need to type out horrible poo poo like this to dunk on Stalin. You really don't need to do the "gotta hand it to Nazis" bit in order to dunk on Stalin. So please, please don't do that. You're better than that.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

crepeface posted:

I actually don't know. What are the numbers killed by Stalin's regime? You said there was no rhyme or reason under Stalin's rule, how do you think they were able to catch up with the US after enduring massive losses in their victory over the Nazis under such a system?

Also, what do you think of mpreg pornography?

I mean, this is exactly the problem with the whole "watchmojo top 10 dictators by killcount" approach to history - I honestly think Stalin and the system he and his allies had built killed enough innocent people to be horrifying without comparisons to Hitler. Even if we discount every single death from famines, war and so on - the Great Purge alone with its ~1 000 000 (well-documented, well-recorded) executions and however many additional deaths in the labour camp system is really loving horrific, and sufficiently atrocious to ward off any desire to "hand it to Stalin", imo.

We could also add the complete mismanagement of the foreign policy (already mentioned upthread), the failure of strategy in the crucial first weeks of operation Barbarossa and numerous other data points that do not build a flattering picture of Stalin - and we wouldn't even have to touch Holodomor and other assorted Really Horrific poo poo to do so!

also, that guy was into pedo mpreg pornography

nurmie fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
imo you can be a leftie and not like stalin. you don't have to be a liberal to not like stalin

like it's even totally possible to be communist and not like stalin. no one really has to like stalin for any reason, really

and, it's even entirely possible to not like stalin and not like hitler and nazis too. maybe even not like hitler and nazis in a more visceral way. or the other way around. you don't have to pick a team though. you don't have to engage in "top ten dictators by death toll, number seven WILL surprise you" type of posting too - it's tedious and boring and obnoxious and a sure sign of yankposting