Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

PantsBandit posted:

Subway Map Simulator 2016

I thought it was a hosed up electrical diagram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

PantsBandit posted:

I was joking about the subway map simulator thing but apparently that's literally what it is lol

I thought you were joking too.

Snak posted:

What else could it possible have been?

Ravane posted:

I thought it was a hosed up electrical diagram.

I can see how it looks like a subway map now, but I'm confused as to the goal of the game? Is it just about trying to get the most efficient stops?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

This is a picture of me trying to work on my dissertation. The work never ends. :cry:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
So, I finally checked out this undertale game that everyone was talking about. I watched Dunkey play it, also I just learned he is not black :psyboom:.

drat, the music for this game is hella good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRw26sEEywY

Game looks hilarious, but looks to be really short. Might just buy the soundtrack and watch a let's play of the game instead to get the story.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

If you want to experience a game for the first time I M O you should probably do it first-hand.

Meh, I already read the wikipedia and then just watched the endings. I feel like I got the gist. Great game, though!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

Treating a story-based videogame like a loving book report is probably the gauchest thing I can think of.

It's the same as not wanting to put in the effort to watch a movie and reading the plot synopsis instead. Not sure how it's gauche considering most people would skip past a pixel rpg and not give it a second thought.

The plot was great but 2d pixel rpgs aren't my thing.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah, what people won't tell you is that random encounters are terrible and Undertale is like 50% random encounters. I got bored with it around a quarter of the way through (also because I'm bad at the bullet hell stuff) but I watched a Let's Play and feel fine about it.

Yeah, I saw the bullet hell stuff on the videos I watched, the final ones seemed way too cumbersome and difficult for me to handle. I'd rather just watch a professional do it. Not a fan of random encounters either. Thanks for the input! :)

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Snak posted:

What's a good JRPG on ps4? Preferably one with lots of action elements, not like, Persona.

FFXV

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

Actually a game that encourages lovely societal behaviour is far worse than one that simply "plays bad".

lol that's very true like one time I watched american psycho and then I started beating up homeless people

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

limaCAT posted:

Ok, I am going to hack into national tv and transmit footage from DOA Extreme 24/7 so one day my country will be full of good looking women playing volleyball in tiny bikinis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiVMmAk45oY

I swear I'll invite all of you when my plan is succesful and I get the nobel.

:negative:

Please also play tekken intermittently, so the guys are all buff and not fat slobs in ten years. Gay guys need eye candy too.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

Also Patrick Bateman is shown to be a horrible person in the film itself, unlike Aiden Pearce. Please stop being a complete moron TIA.

:stonkhat:

He was? I thought the entire movie was about the nuances of quality assurance in business cards? :confused:

Lady Naga posted:

Only if you're unable to accept very basic concepts like "America has a problem with support of vigilante justice and violence as a means of conflict resolution, and media wherein a crazed vigilante murders dozens of people to resolve conflicts does not help that preconception."

A supreme court justice member unironically used 24 as a justification for torture and you're over here telling me that Watch_Dogs affects people in ways we can't possibly know or understand.

I've never played Watch_dogs, but I think everyone here is confused about what you're arguing. Media influences people, for sure. Maybe I see a donut and it influences me to buy it.

It's a moot point. Everything has a degree of influence.

You say that Watch_dogs encourages a character to make lovely decisions, and that's why you dislike it. Fair enough, but you seem to be implying that media should be obligated not to do that?

You mention that a supreme court justice used 24 to justify torture. But is that 24's fault, or the justice's for being a dumbass? If I make a pet killing simulator that gives you achievements for killing pets, yeah that's insane and atrocious. But I'm not obligated by anything but my own personal ethics and my audiences wallets in publishing the game.

So that's why everyone thinks you're implying censorship. Because otherwise yours is a moot point. People are going to buy what appeals to them, and the creators can support or chastise a lovely thing or character but they're not obligated to do either.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

I hope you don't see my one word response as aloof or dismissive it's just that what you are saying is so dumb that I cannot be assed to retread the same loving argument I've made three or four times now to deal with it.

Lady Naga posted:

Media can subtly reinforce previously held belief systems in horrifically negative ways and it's a lot more insidious than "bad games make bad people" actually.

This is not really an argument. This is just an opinion. Replace media with people or religion or bear-watching or freedom of speech and it would be just as valid.

Like the only responses to this I can come up with is, why should anyone care and what can anyone do about it (besides censorship)?

Ravane fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 9, 2016

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
tbh, I have no idea what anyone's talking about.

Stux posted:

source your quotes

https://twitter.com/PeterMolydeux/status/663772767381282818

How to develop a good video game that doesn't support societal evil.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sleeveless posted:

Now I'm trying to think of a protagonist in an open-world GTA style game who isn't morally repugnant. I guess the dude from Red Faction: Guerilla is good since since he's fighting an unjust colonial regime but he does that by destroying infrastructure, killing natives, and being complicit in torture so idk.

Same for the guy in The Saboteur fighting the Nazis as they occupy Paris, though he is a smoker :v:

The main character of Prototype is just trying to survive. Also he can kill people just by clumsily walking into them, he can't help it. Is he really evil? Or is he just a normal guy trying to live his abnormal life but errybody tryna kill him cuz he a zombie?

It's really all self-defense.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

Actually the protag of V is one of the least reprehensible in the series, especially compared to his predecessor.

They're not all Solid Snake?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Wow, Molydeux predicted Undertale! On a gagne!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Hog Inspector posted:

Naga never said media has to do that, they said it should, and it should be criticised if it doesn't. Pretty big difference there.

Yeah, after I understood that this is what he meant, I stopped arguing. I feel like this statement could have been made clearer if Naga stopped posting like a thirteen year old on tumblr.

Anyways, namaste. :) Let's all move on.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

Le funny epic video response!

Please don't do this.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Dreamfall Chapters looks pretty great. It's on Humble, I'm considering getting it. I really liked the Longest Journey (except for the insane puzzle logic) and I didn't mind Dreamfall (though those martial arts sequences were horrendous). Dreamfall Chapters looks a lot more grounded.

Def might get it, just because the plot is incredible.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Accordion Man posted:

The main VA cast of Legacy of Kain was top fuckin' tier (Simon Templeman, Michael Bell, Tony Jay, Richard Doyle).

Definitely agree with this. Voice acting and plot was Shakespearean.

Snak posted:

Nolan North is in TLOU, but not as Joel.

Yeah, I thought he was Joel too until I saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oSFFSu57yU

TLOU was brilliant, I don't own any sony consoles, but I watched a video walkthrough, and it was a great video game movie. :)

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sakurazuka posted:

Please tell me some games you actually like. Just one even.

http://molydeux.tumblr.com/post/139297334589

quote:

During Fable 2 I had this idea to give the player a choice at the end of the game to sacrifice their dog for more wealth. I made sure to be there when Colin[the QA tester] was testing this part of the game, I looked closely at his eye ducts during the process. He had previously chosen the option to save the dog but now he had to choose to sacrifice the dog for purposes of exposing new potential bugs.

Not one single tear.

I asked him why he wasn’t crying. He then proceeded to tell me that he felt no connection to the dog other than hate because the dog was responsible for about 80% of the game’s bugs.

“But what about when you taught your dog a trick? Did you not find that doing so made the dog an extension of yourself?”

He looked confused, empty, soulless and tired.

You see, the dog to him was just a piece of code. He was forced to play the game differently to how I wanted players to play my game.

I had to let him go. I can not begin to tell you the amount of QA testers that I have had to send away because they didn’t cry at REALLY sad moments in my games. They are good at finding bugs but terrible at finding emotion in games.

From then on I vowed to only employ normal people for a new role that I titled ‘Emotion testers’.

He must be a QA tester.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not sure how you can read my responses and think that's what I have a problem with and not the fact that you just compared a video game publication to the watergate scandal or that debating whether media affects society in a video game chat thread is dumb :shrug:

Dude either needs to get his GED or take this discussion to DnD.

absolutely anything posted:

hey all its me the games media analyzer and thinker (._.) . o O (games media analyzaer and thinker) did you know the journalism is bad? they're incompetent gently caress wits? i'd bring up a specific comparison but then you would all say i was comparing them (the classic meme of the under educated). want to read my essay on the societal effects of ubisoft's vigilantism propaganda piece XXXwAtCh_DoGsXXX??? i'm gayyyyyy as hell y'all, as a pejorative

please link your tumblr, i need to retumble it my mother who lives upstairs and teach her a lesson about disliking the furries. >:(

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

I don't even know what the gently caress furries have to do with anything.

I'm just assuming that anyone who only talks well about anime games, speaks like a thirteen year old on tumblr, and has pointless discussions on ethical video game journalism has some deep issues. The logical jump to furries is a only a step further.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Ciaphas posted:

I just googled the word shobon and now I'm not sure if I'm misusing it???

the emoji comes from a japanese guy who posted on some japanese forums. He'd always make this face ( ´・ω・`)

Long story short, dude was a stalker that sent 600 emails to this girl he liked, only for the forums members to encourage him to send more, giving him bad advice, etc. Dunno if it was real, but it's a funny read.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Hunger Games is a rip off of The Running Man.

Also, the culling's combat looks hella lovely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6iFykomw0Y

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Please close this thread, I'm feeling influenced.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sleeveless posted:

What child would spend $60 to play the re-release of a Zelda game that originally came out before they were even born?

A manchild.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Yay, I'm relevant, haha.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Cardboard Box A posted:

Ravane, go back to Genchat

I thought this was gen chat!! :stonkhat:

Sleeveless posted:

I wish that just once somebody would make a third-person action game with a flight power and then not immediately neuter that flight power with anti-air units the way that Dark Void/Divinity 2/etc. do.

It's called Ace Online created by gPotato. :)

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

limaCAT posted:

(I still have some requests I have to draw, but between lack of inspiration , job and the division I am having less time to draw)

S'all good! :)

https://twitter.com/PeterMolydeux/status/449512738059198464

https://twitter.com/PeterMolydeux/status/332856301765931008

Relevant.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Stux posted:

this applies to 90% of nintendo's library

I agree. Besides the same iteration of Zelda every five years, there's genuinely nothing really fun on Nintendo's library (not talking about n64 games). Like if you take out Wind Waker remake for Wii U, all you have left is Super Smash Brothers, a game that hasn't changed much in gameplay style since 1999. And I think it has some Zombie game that looked really lovely. Hyrule Warriors looks alright, I guess.

I can't actually name any other Wii U game off the top of my head, except like Wii U sports or something. There's Mario Maker, but I mean that's existed forever on the pc, it doesn't look fun at all, except for the super hard levels, so it's essentially nintendo saying, here create your own Kaizo Mario, we're too lazy to do it.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Golden Goat posted:

Can we get a drawing of somebody pulling Ravane's mask off revealing that he's been the Taint Reaper all along?

I'm not sure who the Taint Reaper is exactly? I guess he's just not well liked.

I like nintendo, as much as the next guy, but I just agree with the sentiment that its library doesn't have much to offer (speaking specifically about the Wii and the WiiU consoles). Like you compare the PS2's library, the PS3 and PS4's library to Nintendo's library, and they completely outdo Nintendo. Does Nintendo have some absolutely fantastic classics? Yeah. I love every iteration of Zelda.

I'm just not going to buy a new Nintendo console when that's the only game I'm gonna play on it. Though the 3DS I've heard has a decent library. But I'm not really much for owning handheld consoles, besides smart phones.

Since the n64, the amount of decent games on Nintendo consoles has only decreased.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Macaluso posted:

I have a stack of WiiU games and all of them are great.

Mario Maker
Mario 3D World
Yoshi's Wooly World
Bayonetta 1+2
Smash
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (best game)
Captain Toad
Mario Kart 8

Yes almost all of those are Mario games in some way but they're all good so I don't care. There are games I know are good that I didn't include cause I couldn't get into them like Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Hyrule Warriors. Put Splatoon in there too because I enjoyed it but never got around to picking it up.

If you seriously don't like most of the games well then I don't know what to tell you other than I think you're nuts

Also Tropical Freeze is better than literally very single game that has ever come out on the PS2, PS3 or PS4 :colbert:

Mario Maker - boring, make your own puzzles game. maybe good if you really like old mario games. Maybe would purchase in a bargain bin for 2 bucks.
Mario 3D World - never heard of this, not quite sure how this is different from other mario games since they've all been 3D since mario64
Yoshi's Wooly World - sounds like Unravel with a well known character
Bayonetta 1+2 - never played, dislike most jrpgs
Smash - Smash is great, no problems here.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - never played any donkey kong games, but I like their style, so this is ok. Doubt it's better that all games on sony, but it's just an opinion.
Captain Toad - never heard about this game, looks like a mix between Monument Valley and Mario. Would buy it for ten bucks maybe.
Mario Kart 8 - After 8 iterations, it's still fun, but you'd think they'd change the cheapness of going from last to first almost immediately by using a blue shell and bullet bill combo. I like the Luigi death stares.

Never heard of the wonderful 101. Xenoblade chronicles looks interesting, but seems too jrpg gimicky to me.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

The Colonel posted:

i'm going to not get involved in this argument anymore past this point under the basis that you just can't be enough of an idiot to think bayonetta is a jrpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-aILrMl_sU

Oh, apparently it's not. I've only seen trailers, didn't really watch gameplay, but apparently it plays like Devil May Cry. I do like those types of games, my bad.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

PantsBandit posted:

What game has the best main-theme?

Banjo Kazooie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_K4iG5-l5Q, but best intro goes to Ape Escape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE_dL1raZes

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Nasgate posted:

Imho though the best main theme will always be this
https://youtu.be/or8y5EC1_Rs

I like WInd Waker's Intro much better, though your theme suits travelling the ocean well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHFFe4p0Iuc

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

VideoGames posted:

Good grief, Broforce is really excellent fun!!

Yeah, the Co-op is great.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Jay Rust posted:

And I'm enjoying Stardew Valley!

Today is a great day for gaming

Stardew valley is great.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

codenameFANGIO posted:

What games are you currently enjoying friend?!?

I'm playing a game called, "writing my dissertation while listening to other people talk about playing video games". It's not very fun. :(

https://videos.files.wordpress.com/3xuVvRRC/desktop-01-26-2016-17-57-36-17_dvd.mp4

This cat platforming game looks really fun.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Incredible.

• Locked thread