Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah but the framework to support that does not exist in BvS. The cinematography, the design, the dialogue. It's not there.
To try to find one in there is to give Snyder much more credit than he is due.

Give me an example of how "the cinematography, the design, the dialogue" don't fit the characterization.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I originally had nearly the exact same thing written but I decided not to post it. I would like to get some concrete examples of movies with design that fit the humanitarian theme or dialogue that fits the humanitarian theme or ESPECIALLY cinematography that fits the humanitarian theme. Like, I'm genuinely excited to see this.

You mean humanist, not humanitarian.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I always thought Batman's "no killing" thing was just shorthand for "no executions".

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

How is Batman supposed to beat a guy with a sword and a gun? It just doesn't make any sense.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You're joking but he literally had this at one point. It was called Brother Eye.

From OMAC?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Comic book fans not being able to handle dream sequences makes me mad.

Imagine if they made that Sandman film.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Speaking of which, what was the deal with the fried chicken scene in Killer Joe? I don't understand why she'd have to be on her knees just to eat a piece of fried chicken, it doesn't make any sense. It's just chicken!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This implies that anybody that likes a show like Arrow or Flash is an idiot.

...and?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

Ok now extrapolate the second part of that quote. Is BLM saying that it would be fine for officers to beat and cripple people as long as they never cross the line into killing?

Alternate universe Batman where his parents were crippled but not killed by a mugger and now his one rule is that he refuses to injure anyone

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Timby posted:

It's both a widow's peak and that his hair has been thinning at a ridiculous pace. He's been wearing a piece since The First Avenger (and it gets more noticeable in every movie).

Steroids are bad for you.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Wonder Woman: Over 50

This is a rad idea for a comic/movie

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

WW's theme gets talked up a lot but I think Zimmer's Lex Luthor theme is amazing and the best piece of scoring in that film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3N-O5BCZSM

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I can already tell that the fat comic relief lady is going to be awful.

Etta Candy?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Timby posted:

There's also some question of just how involved Donner really was in the so-called Donner Cut. From the announcement onward it seemed like a passion project of Michael Thau, who's a Donner groupie / hanger-on, and Donner was said to not be part of it -- and then like two months before the release, all of a sudden Thau changed his tune and started saying, "Yeah, Donner's been supervising me every step of the way."

"Richard Donner is what I named my pet iguana."

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Aces High posted:

Surprise twist at the end: instead of Gaston shooting the Beast, he gazes upon him, drops his bow and approaches him with his arms wide open. The Beast turns with a change in his face. They both come together and embrace. Their mouths meet and the transformation occurs.

Belle shows up and looks upset, then leaves.

This except the transformation is Gaston going beast mode

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Slugworth posted:

Not especially, but they're entertaining.

ehhhhhhhhh

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

BvS Lex in a nutshell.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Is it weird that I just watch movies and don't really read reviews or twitter

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

JoeRules posted:

Out of curiosity, what comic book movie would you folks say has the best script? I can think of way more examples of utterly lovely scripts than I can even passable ones.

A History of Violence, American Splendor, Ghost World

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Meanwhile, Joel Kinnaman said that Suicide Squad 2 will begin filming next year. They are looking for a director.

What are Neveldine & Taylor up to?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

gently caress all this super hero talk, let's talk more about Kingsman.

arguably the best use of a KC and the Sunshine Band song in a movie

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Shouldn't it be Domina

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

Ian McShane is playing Professor Broom in Neill Marshall's Hellboy.

That's cool. John Hurt was great in the first one.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

UmOk posted:

Alejandro Jodorowsky's The Filth.

I love Jodo and The Filth is perhaps my favorite comic book of all time but that's not a good fit. The director you want is David Cronenberg. I mean, if you put Naked Lunch, Crash, and eXistenZ together he's basically already made that film.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I am baffled how someone can praise Marvel films for "A game acting" and in the same breath put down BvS when it has that scene with Martha and Lois at the wake.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

It was a request actually.

Don't be a shithead.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like discussion in this thread, when it comes to Marvel movies, rarely progresses beyond "HURF BAD COMPOSITION ACTORS ON STAGE"

Like, we get it, that subject has been discussed to death.

I brought up how it seemed like James Gunn's artistic decisions made the movie feel more like it was inspired by video games than adapted from comic books and the immediate response is "GREENSCREEN! ACTORS ON STAGE"

Nothing's stopping you from talking about something more interesting.

Mordiceius posted:

For me, personally, I felt the humor landed better than any other Marvel film.

this is not very interesting

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Comic book superheroes actually loving is extraneous. Why do you think they fight each other?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

We're getting into weird semantics territory here but sexy doesn't just mean "sexually desirable". Sexiness is kind of ephemeral but it has something to do with erotic intent and sexual agency and confidence.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm pretty sure Cena doesn't juice. He doesn't have a HGH gut and one of the things he's most known for is being absurdly nice and friendly, and, uh, roids tend to throw a monkey wrench in that latter part.

Hahahaha

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

porfiria posted:

My bigger question is whether like Henry Cavill roided up or whatever. That was the whole thing when Man of Steel came out but. I dunno is it possible to get that big without some drugerinos?

Literally every buff actor does steroids

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

dont even fink about it posted:

It really depends. Jackman got the Wolverine look he wanted by, in addition to everything else, not drinking water.

is that a code word for clenbuterol

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

Probably not but nobody cares when actors do it. so every actor gets super jacked all the time like its no big deal. RDJ did like 15 years of straight drugs then turns around and gets pretty jacked for iron man. Chris Evans crazy synthol pecs in the first Captain America. Hugh Jackman is like 50 and still a huge jacked man. Chris Pratt bla bla. Just lmao if you don't think Ben Affleck is on something. I will hear no ill spoken of Ryan Reynolds but suffice to say every single other actor has some sort of training assistance.

I mean it's not illegal to take HGH and testosterone prescribed by an ethically compromised LA doctor. They're not athletes, who cares.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They don't try and keep it consistent though, they'll have periods where they cut down on body fat / water weight to look really ripped for shirtless scenes etc.

yeah I think they knocked all the shirtless scenes for Conan the Barbarian out in 1 afternoon

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Whatever Affleck did seems good because he just looks yoked and not all weird and vascular like Jackman, or modern day Stallone.

Turns out loving an endless procession of extremely famous Jennifers is the key to an adonis bod. Out of reach for most fitness enthusiasts unfortunately

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

bleh

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Isn't what's his face in Superman IV made out of kryptonite?

He's made out of nuclear bombs.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The next Superman movie should be about an American president who's a huge goddamned idiot hurtling towards nuclear war through sheer hubris and incompetence but Superman doesn't want to get involved because interfering in politics isn't his place, then billions of people die and he feels bad

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I mean, isn't basically that what the "Not my Superman" argument boils down to?

Yes, and?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I just think is odd to be so dismissive when both a good amount of the discussion on these threads and some of the most interesting discussions come from arguments that if not identical are very similar.

we make fun of the "not my superman" people too

• Locked thread