Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

K. Waste posted:

Exactly, but with great power comes great responsibility, which means that the bedrock of 'family' is not the greatest value.

It reminds me of Godzilla '14 in that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There is a direct correlation to how good Eva Green is in something to how explicit her sex scenes are.

Was Kingdom of Heaven (DC) that tame?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Rachel stuff carrying into Rises was the only part of it I found weird. The Dark Knight has Bruce totally despondent after she dies and he's unwilling to be Batman if it means other people get killed. Alfred is basically all "stiff upper lip, Master Bruce" and convinces him that Gotham has to make do with him and he has to soldier on. But then he's squarely back in extended mourning and isolation in Rises. Probably a more realistic depiction of grief so maybe I'm being too hard on it, it just seemed to run counter to how that development was resolved in The Dark Knight.

The impression I got was he was run down from being Batman for so many years without any success.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It may have been that. He wasn't Batman for very long, as far as I could tell. A few months in Begins, an indeterminate amount of time between Begins and The Dark Knight, maybe a couple months in The Dark Knight and then the hiatus. The Dark Knight does seem to imply he's been active long enough to have frequent interactions with Gordon since "he often doesn't" show up when the signal is lit, and the signal is introduced at the end of Begins. All three movies together give me the impression that his career as Batman was like two years tops.

The scene with Bruce at the doctor's office made it seem like he had built up years and years of injuries so I think by DKR he had been at it for a while.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Fantastic

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The problem is that if you read DC comic books from, I dunno, 1990-2010 then you probably read well over a dozen stories that were specifically about how Batman never kills and never uses guns. Entire story arcs that spanned multiple titles were all about how the heroes can never, ever kill anyone. Wonder Woman killed one dude, who absolutely had to die, and it almost resulted in the permanent disbanding of the Justice League. The entire basis behind the character of Huntress is that she doesn't mind using lethal force and Batman will not allow that in his city. The entire Under the Red Hood arc is all about how Batman wouldn't kill the Joker. It's stated outright multiple times in Batman comics that if Batman were to ever kill someone, Gordon would immediately take charge of the task force to hunt Batman down. There's probably well over a dozen panels where Batman rolls up on someone with a gun and gets right in their face and says "I don't like guns" before loving them up. The supremely badass moment in Batman/Superman comics where Batman dons a sword and starts loving up Doomsday clones that aren't technically alive would make no sense if Batman was already lethal.

I could go on and on really.

Also Bale's Batman is weird. It's fine on the very first viewing of whatever movie, but upon a second viewing you start to notice how garbage he is. For one, that voice sucks but oddly enough it didnt really bother me until someone pointed it out to me. Also it became impossible for me to take anything he says seriously once I noticed that he loving almost never closes his mouth. Poke some loving airholes in the nose, dumbass.

If there are so many of those stories why do you want yet another one?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

This is a silly question. Apply it to any other characters. "Do you really want to see the turtles take on Shredder AGAIN?"

If I want to see that I have a ton of media to choose from. The first movie is probably the best version we're gonna get. I'd rather see unique takes on the characters than the same poo poo over and over and over.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I wasn't describing "my batman" I was describing the Batman presented to us from over 20 years of comic book/animated media. Sorry I forgot to mention the detective thing, but that would be a silly reason to discount my entire argument.

And it was stupid in each and every one of those movies.

Why is it stupid there and not stupid to have an arbitrary no killing rule in some(not all) of the comics? If people actually cared about it why are only weirdo comic book elitists the only ones upset about it?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

rather than just asking "why is taste?"

I guess it's a good thing I never said that.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only way I can see to read your comment as meaning anything else is if it's some kind of plea for originality, but that suggests that the problem with 20 years of Batman comics is lack of originality rather than its ideological commitment, which I think is secondary if it's true at all.

This is what I was getting at:

MacheteZombie posted:

The baggage of a no kill rule shouldn't apply to a new interpretation.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I didn't use the word punish. But if you were to use the word kill, there are a lot of people that would argue that its not ok for the government to kill people.

The government uses killing as a form of punishment.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I don't understand why so many people here condone murder. And that I'm considered the crazy one for not condoning murder. Murder is wrong. Giving Batman/Superman/Green Arrow a free pass to kill whoever they want is lunacy. What happens when they kill someone not-so-bad?

The portrayal of extreme, condoned violence without consequence is what I take issue with.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
loving Beetlejuice is going to be Batman?! gently caress you Warner Bros.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Finally aikido is useful for something other than comedy.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The name 'Martha' is repeated because that was the father's last word, marking his failure to protect the family.

Bruce is motivated by anger at his father's failure, and guilt over the fact that (as a child) he himself was powerless to stop the mugger. Bruce and his dad both 'let them kill Martha'.

The point of the film is that Bruce forgives his father and also stops acting like a child - revelling in his powerlessness, acting out against 'God'. He decides to honour his father by becoming a hero again.

(The ambiguity, of course, is that Bruce graduates from being a childish psychotic to being a very mature quasi-fascist.)

There's no such thing as a non-lethal warrior. If you use a taser or whatever, or get into crazy brawls, there is a chance that you will kill someone. Batman is aware of this. Every Batman has been ok with killing.

This dovetails nicely with Lex trying to relive his childhood by recreating his father as Doomsday. Batman and Lex are both trapped by their traumatic childhoods and can/will not move past it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Saying atoms are abstract is one of the most baffling things I've ever read. Like I don't even know where to start with that.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's a theory that produces great predictions, but it's silly to treat the story that goes along with the math as somehow representing some fundamental reality.

If you have no idea what you're talking about you should probably stop talking.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Maybe Batman needs a senate hearing too.

That's basically what Clark was trying to do.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Batman doesn't defeat Doomsday. He does save Space Jesus's Earth Mom, the Virgin Martha, though.

He hits Doomsday in the face with a Kryptonite grenade, he helps.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It made him immobile long enough for that to happen. Princess Diana wouldn't have been able to hold on to him without it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Advanced interrogation techniques right?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That shot reminds me of buff Jesus breaking the cross.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Movie would have been way better if Bane was sending Bruce a bunch of call-outs videos.

https://youtu.be/wL6aDrzs3Fs

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

No, it makes perfect sense. Men already have access to a dick (their own), while woman do not.

No one should have access to two dicks until everyone has access to one.

With the imbalance in the population that is no longer an issue.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

computer parts posted:

Trank's issue was that he shittalked his bosses when his bosses knew everyone else in the industry.

The inverse of this is Zach Snyder, who got 4 major tentpole films because he's such a nice guy to work with.

And Snyder's movies make money.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I'm guessing BvS made a lot of its budget back before it was even released just like Man of Steel.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Yeah there's definitely not anything going on in the news right now involving police officers using lethal force.

Is your gimmick to always miss the point of everything?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Is Batman not killing a part of his character or not? I mean established beyond movies and cartoons? Has that idea ever been referenced in the comics?

It isn't some ironclad rule like a few of you pretend it is. Nobody except weirdly fetishistic nerds care about it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

So it should be understandable why people get upset about it. Like let them bitch their boring points. Every writer has their vision of Batman. No Batman is the same.

The people who complain about it in BvS have to actively ignore the plethora of other media in which he kills. It is an idiotic hill to die on. They don't even care about the who or why, they only care that he does.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

It's referenced in the comics repeatedly. There's no mystery about it at all, comics Batman has explicitly said he is against killing. Most of Batman's biggest character arcs revolve completely around this indisputable fact. But, I guess I'm just a weirdly fetishistic nerd for noticing that the past 30 years of Batman comics has established this.

The past 30 years of Batman movies do not have that dumb rule. So, yes, you are a weird fetishist for demanding Batman have a no kill rule no matter the circumstance.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Squinty posted:

I'd probably combine the crate-shot and the grenade shot.

And I don't think I've ever said that I think Batman follows or should follow a no kill policy, but the warehouse scene goes out of its way to show him killing a helpless, subdued man.

You are being willfully dense at this point.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Drifter posted:

Willfully?
...I'm not so sure.

There's a distinct lack of awareness through these types of posts.

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The reason Batman is suddenly objectionable is that we're now seeing him from Superman's point of view. Superman says Batman is a bad person, and he means it. Fans are driven insane.

"Civil liberties are being trampled on in your city; good people living in fear."

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Is Linkin Park still a thing? I want them to do the theme song. I can already hear it, soft urgent rapping and then the guy who always screams the chorus screams "Go GOOOOOO POWER RANGERS"

Are you Brazilian?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It wants so hard to be the Wire but doesn't understand what made the Wire good.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Crion posted:

especially its absolute veneration of the beat cop.

I don't want to derail the thread anymore about the Wire but it does not do this at all.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

was anyone else expecting the big reveal to be that he had ironman armour?

Yes, the power glove gave it away. The suit also looked really silly.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It's steroids.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

IIRC that's just dehydration before shoots to make the muscles look like they're bulging more than they already are.

It's steroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Slugworth posted:

Wolverine or Jackman? Wolverines been alive since like the 1800s or something, so probably not. Jackman, time will tell, but also unlikely.

He's probably talking about the scars Wolverine has since he isn't supposed to get those.

• Locked thread