Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

K. Waste posted:

Who's the perfect power metal band to score Aquaman?

Ahab

Although technically, it's funeral doom metal. You know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Equilibrium posted:

I would nominate 2008 Hulk for the worst Marvel title if only because I can remember virtually nothing at all about it. It's a hole in my head, like trying to remember what I ate for lunch 2 weeks ago.

I only remember this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUlc_J7pfbQ

Oh, and Michael K. Williams' weird cameo (apparently part of a larger scene with some lines that got cut).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo_h8l6J7Rw

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Actually, this is going to own.

Especially the part where Deathstroke slowly takes off his costume :allears:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I liked Fury from Winter Soldier, but it mainly stands out because it's not a generic orchestra song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibFOFrp4A8s

It's probably not that loud in the actual movie, especially since you have Sam Jackson shouting and guns being fired.

RBA Starblade posted:

Beyond it being a cello and a fiddle respectively (I think) I couldn't tell you what they were. I do recall really liking Interstellar's soundtrack, but I can't really recall most of it either.

Not that any of it is bad or anything, it just doesn't stick.

If you watched it in the theater you'll definitely remember "Stay". They turned up the volume for the final minute and half of that one, it got LOUD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca_Cv7seV4Y

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 12, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Musical plagiarism in the Japanese video game industry is absolutely rife from what I hear.

They had a deaf composer for a while that was not deaf and not actually composing:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/02/05/national/noted-deaf-composer-admits-someone-else-writes-his-music/

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Bryan Cranston would be excellent for 90's-present Stan Lee.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I like his Ant-Man cameo because it adds something without making him the focus of the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYUFx_Ltjn8&t=87s

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

So the cinema I frequent has a 15 minute "unique IMAX 3D preview" for Dr Strange called Expand Your Mind next Tuesday. It's free and you get a poster afterwards. I think that's the first time I've seen a marketing event like that happen there.

Not that I'm going. I'm looking forward to the movie, but I'd rather not spoil myself any further at this point.
Edit: It's at 18:00 too. I guess they're hoping people will line it up with an early evening showing of a different movie?

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 4, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

For behind-the-scenes Cyborg every day is Casual Friday.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Clearly they should have never casted Ben Kingsley as The Mandarin in Iron Man 3 so he could have been The Ancient One in Dr. Strange.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Doggles posted:

Both Professor X (McAvoy) and Magneto (Fassbender) are background characters it in as well. That series is seriously a who's who of huge stars over a decade later.

I feel that Black Hawk Down has a similar thing going on. Every time I've re-watched it there were actors I suddenly recognized from later movies/series (for example Nikolaj Coster-Waldau AKA Jaime Lannister from Game of Thrones). You almost feel sorry for the ones that still haven't had a breakthrough role.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

Please don't sell yourself short like this... you can at least try!

Some people just can't stand it and have to set it straight.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Holy poo poo that was intolerable. Cancellation was the best thing that could have happened to it.

This. I don't think I ever have been happier about a series getting cancelled. I don't loathe the people involved, that is just a thing that should have never been more than a failed pitch.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Square sold out by not making the first Final Fantasy the final Final Fantasy. So much for releasing a last game before closing the company!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

The best was all the poo poo idiot fans gave Square for releasing Final Fantasy on the 360 in addition to the PS3. Because they dropped $599.99 on a PS3 on launch day because FFXIII was announced for it even though it was obviously not going to come out on anything for several years. Square somehow "betrayed"them by releasing the game on the filthy American game console and not exclusively for their chosen glorious Japanese system they dropped $600 on.

Pff, just $ 600? That is  l i t t l e m o n e y

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

There are only five of them.

Superman is dead (but he might return :ssh:) and they are keeping it a secret who they casted as Snapper Carr.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

SimonCat posted:

That doesn't make any sense. If Clark is Superman, how can he see when he takes off his glasses?

He had his eyes lasered.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Thank you. To this day, that is the only movie I've ever seen that has a graphic sex scene involving a pulley and lever system.

I think Charles Dance's mechanical pirate in Space Truckers had a similar theme going for him, but he got cock-blocked (maybe even literally, it's been a while since I saw that movie).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Looks like their not getting their powers from magical heroin which is disappointing

Next thing you know they'll remove the tit window!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Shots involving people in green bodysuits never stop being hilarious. What is the proper title for that kind of job anyway?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

And Maria Bello, and William Hurt. I remember at the time thinking it was weird that Hurt got an Oscar nomination for what's basically a cameo, but man he is so powerfully off-kilter in that one scene that he deserved it.

I'm still amazed that "how do you gently caress that up?!" didn't became some kind of internet meme in the years after its release.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Despite being clever, I do agree that Zimmer's stuff isn't very hummable. Most of the new artists over the last couple decades have been de-emphasizing melodies and instead emphasizing "textures." There's a pretty good video by Tony Zhou where he blames a lot of it on an over-reliance on temp music, and a counter-argument that says temp music isn't really to blame because composers have been using temp music since forever. Whatever the cause is, we're stuck in a trend where most movie music has unintelligible melody and I'm personally not a fan of it. Gimme a Superman tune that I can hum, a hummable Star Wars theme, a hummable ET theme to make me cry! Hell, even if it's not exactly hummable, gimme some songs with clear melodies that I can easily follow along with my ears!

I almost feel like Michael Giacchino watched that Tony Zhou video before composing the Doctor Strange soundtrack* because it uses the same theme over and over again. Is it still a leifmotif if that's the only motif you've got?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc0KNrpFka8

*Technically not possible because there was a month between the video and the movie's release.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 18, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Why would they take all the effort of killing such a powerful hero as Superman if they would bring him back shortly afterwards? It makes no sense, I tells you, it's unheard of!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I hope everyone can move past and heal.

Tell that to Zod's sna... ugh, I can't do it :smith:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I too am excited about Black Panther, but that is a such a boring poster.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Klungar posted:

Have you seen Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2?

They really should just stop giving him cameos after that one. It was that perfect.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Haha, I bet not even his mother calls him Antonius. I'm pretty sure it's Tom to everyone.

And yeah, Elfman is perfectly capable of making a generic action score, so it's not like the new music will be a clowncar of gloom & whinsy.

Edit: whimsy even!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I know, but it's still fun to joke about it

I know, and I secretly wish that all of his scores had one song that is just an arrangement of The Breakfast Machine.

• Locked thread