Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Detective No. 27 posted:

You know how you can put up an FPS counter when playing PC games? It would be nice if there was on option on the Justice League Blu-ray to display a tiny S or W in one of the corners to distinguish who shot what.

All you have to do is look at the cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

sassassin posted:

I'm struggling to think of superhero movies that don't have a buff leading man actor posing with his shirt off at some point.

Even Paul Rudd had a scene.

Depends on how buff you believe RDJ and Edward Norton to be.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Junior Jr. posted:

Was there a kingsman thread in CD before? Saw The Golden Circle a couple days ago and it was okay. Raised a couple interesting points though there were a bunch of flaws with it. I'll get more into detail later on.

I like that he's still with the princess, but don't like what they did with Roxy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

sassassin posted:

I've just about had it with these unrealistic male body standards Hollywood keeps inflicting on us.

Marlon Brando fought the good fight.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

All that muscle talk and still no explanation how the Avengers are not fascist.

Can you be a fascist if you don't give a gently caress about any nation or state? The Avengers are a collection of Autocrats, Anarchic-Libertarians, Philosopher Kings, Ideologues, and Mercenaries. All of them of course have hearts of gold, even if sometimes that heart is coated in tin, but none of them are fascist.

Brother Entropy posted:

civil war is the product you get when you make a story explicitly about politics but want to avoid any possible stance that could impact revenue

so a story about justified force and culpability is actually just about tony stark's feelings

Having read the comic attempt at being about politics, the version without real politics is infinitely better.

McCloud posted:

There's a moment when he gives a stupid speech and then everyone in shield divides into team good guys and team bad guys, thus undermining the point that sci fi CIA is toxic and full of assholes. Instead the morale becomes that these agencies must be vigilant because bad apples can sneak in and lead you astray, totally undercutting the point it's trying to make.

The point was that SHIELD wasn't lead astray. It was ruined from almost the founding. The agency did not take the time to make sure they did not become a monster when carrying out their mission of fighting monsters. The original sin of inviting Hydra in happened almost immediately after the agency's founding when they when full operation paperclip. The speech was about uncovering the good apples left in the shipping container of rotten ones.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Glad Triple H finally made it into comic book movies as a main dude.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Electromax posted:

Well isn't it?

Working for Elan Musk is actually the closest you're going to get to actually working for Tony Stark.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah if they wanted to teach kids STEM they could have just partnered up with I don't know NASA or hell I would take Elon Musk and his dumb bullshit over war profiteers

Or use Hammer Industries and AIM as your tie ins.

Hey kids, how about them Thunderbolts. They're here to get you excited about Northrop Grumman!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Nice, you don't often see people go from being down with the man to being down with the man.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 7, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ferrinus posted:

I need to know: what is, like, the plot of the comic? Who is the villain?

An evil Senator using his chairmanship to lead a public investigation into the F35 boondoggle while pushing for an audit of Defense spending.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, what is worse than an invasion by totalitarian aliens who hail from a literal hell planet? Do they also seek to cancel Christmas or something?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Worse. Abolish capitalism!!!!

Are you saying that the Austrian School of Economics isn't based on the Anti-Life equation?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I would think that the defense angle for the Momoa rape joke would be that he was clearly talking about things that happen in GOT. Still not a very good defense and everyone else on the panel clearly isn't laughing their socks off at the hilarious joke. Still better than a sands of time defense for 6 years ago.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

LesterGroans posted:

https://youtu.be/bu9e410C__I

I didn't know that The New Mutants was going to be a horror movie.

I take it they're no longer having Deadpool and Cable in the movie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The MSJ posted:

Deadpool and Cable will be in X-Force. The New Mutants have been written as story about the Moonstar-Magik-Wolfsbane group from the start.

Ah, so now I get to relive the X-Men heyday on the Silver Screen.

Coming this year:
New Mutants, X-Force, X-Men, Uncanny X-men, Amazing X-Men, New X-Men, Classic X-Men, X-Factor, Astonishing X-Men, Giant Size X-Men, Wolverine, Wolverine and the X-Men, Mutant X, Ultimate X-Men, X-Men 2099, Young X-Men, X-Men Fairy Tales, X-Men Noir, Generation M, Cable, Logan, Cyclops and the X-Men, and the IMAX premier of the first 2 episodes of the new season of Legion!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Grimdark is a stupid term that means nothing other than you don't like something. Please stop using it.

well why not posted:

I can't believe the direction they're going in with the costumes:

I can't decide if Bad Touch Xavier or Rockabilly Colossus are my favorite.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

STAC Goat posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict there aren't THAT many people with a really hardened and passionate idea of who Aquaman is to make a big stink about a different interpretation.

There's like 3 or 4 "distinct" takes on Aquaman in the comics, and I think only like one of them was cool enough to engender any sort of actual loyalty to the character. Which also means that fans of that version, which is the objectively best version, aren't likely at all to be up in arms about Not My Aquaman.

Really, outside of idiots with no ability to critique something beyond Not My Superman/Batman, the same people who probably use Grimdark to write things off, Green Lantern and The Flash are the only DC properties with battle lines drawn between "correct" versions. And with the Lanterns there's really only one wrong version, and his name is Hal Jordan.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lobok posted:

What preteen doesn't know all the derivatives of the Latin word lupus? Heh, idiots.

There are preteens who aren't into werewolf lore in even the tiniest way thus realizing the connection between wolf and lup[wahtever]? It's a series about wizards who use faux latin magical phrases, kids shouldn't be that dumb.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

UmOk posted:

I know a guy who was diagnosed with Lupus. At what point do I start worrying about the full moon?

It's called Lupus because medieval doctors thought the lesions looked like the bite of a wolf.

What more do you want from dudes who treated the plague with rose hips and other nice smelling things.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I thought Hal Jordan was okish as The Spectre after he died a semi-redemptive death. The problem was bringing him back and having him just be white bread as gently caress, boring ol' mega hero Hal Jordan.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You could introduce Hal as the most boring Green Lantern in the proposed DCU Flashpoint, follow it up with him being around in the Green Lantern Corps movie and then in Green Lantern 2, Green With Envy have him go full Parallax but get thwarted by our plucky heroes from the first Green Lantern movie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Al Borland Corp. posted:

How about just don't ever do the lovely parallax story.

Unfortunately we're getting Hal Jordan in our DCCU Green Lanterns, so everyone is brainstorming the best lemonade we can make with those rotten lemons.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Yakmouth posted:

I'm actually surprised Parallax is apparently so popular a story. I remember it being horribly received at the time. didn't the writer receive death threats for what he did to Jordan?

Hal Jordan went crazy and stopped being Green Lantern in early 1994. He didn't come back until 2004/5. Given the general age of posters here Hal Jordan wasn't the Green Lantern we "grew up with" or whatever. I know that outside of Super Friends and occasional appearances in other comics I never payed any attention to Green Lantern until Kyle was the only one.

As a result we're not the long term smelly comic nerds angry at the change in our beloved Green Lantern in 1994. We're the long term smelly comic nerds angry at the change in our beloved Green Lantern in 2004. Also though, Emerald Twilight was doing something new and changing things for a new direction while Rebirth was largely about undoing that just because the writer was one of those long term smelly comic nerds from 1994. He also did the same thing with Barry Allen, and I'm sure others.

Also reborn Hal learned nothing and was exactly the same as he was before he killed all his friends, tried to destroy time, sacrificed himself to save the Earth, and was then the divine aspect of vengeance. That seems like some poo poo that should have changed him, but nope, Hal's jaw is just too square for that poo poo to do anything but bounce off it.

Lobok posted:

This is my vote. Maybe expend all this creative energy on making Jordan a more interesting character. Surely he cannot be SO boring that he's unsalvageable or worse than any other square-jawed white guy who's helmed an action/adventure movie before.

Hal Jordan is the Ur-square jawed white guy helming an action/adventure movie. He's whitebread personified, and the only stories he's ever been interesting in are the time he went super evil, the time he was the divine spirit of vengeance fighting to instead offer redemption, or when he was the stuffy old conservative he is only Green Arrow was using him a foil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Open Marriage Night posted:

Hal rules. At his best he's Han Solo.

I'm not sure if you don't know Hal Jordan, or you don't know Han Solo.

• Locked thread