Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
The Jump Street MIB crossover goes further than any of us could have imagined. Ice Cube plays JJJ/Zed/Nick Fury as roles just slide together and universes lose cohesion under unimaginable marketing pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

wyoming posted:

Oh god, I forgot he was going to be in it.
I hope we see like, some SHIELD surveillance footage of Uncle Ben biting it.

What do you think motivates the registration act in the first place?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Neil Degrasse Tyson ain't out there making soundbites about Captain Boomerang.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

quote:

Before dying, Jonathan reminds Clark that he must always use his powers for the benefit of humanity...
...instead of squandering them by looting tainted pirate treasures. Man, I want to see this movie as well. No one in the Justice League understands why Superman keeps getting weirdly aggressive and intense every time Aquaman mentions a sunken galleon or something. "Sunken pirate treasures are YOUR JOB, Aquaman, this is NOT a good use of my powers," he almost-shouts, before storming out of the room.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Terrible Horse posted:

The "Bruce Wayne is the real mask" thing also doesn't jive with the fact that Clark refers to him as Bruce. Clark is supposed to be his closest friend, not another rube fooled by the costume. Same with Dick, Alfred, etc. When they get real with him they call him Bruce.

"Good evening, Master Batman. Shall I warm up the Batmobile, or will sir be requiring his Bruce Wayne costume tonight?"

"I just wanted to say, we couldn't have stopped Brainiac's laser beam without you. Thanks, Bruce."
"The name's Batman."
"Uhh, thanks... Batman."
"You're welcome, Superman. *smoke grenade*"

I really like this angle on the character, but I don't think I've ever actually seen it.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Vintersorg posted:

This guy looks like such a loser but I guess that is Spider-man. And why goons identify... :getin:

How long before we get a fat spiderman

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Kurzon posted:

Calaveron posted:

Just watched the Ultimate BvS edition, having never seen the theatrical cut. I understand this version fixed a lot of issues present in the original making it a better movie overall, which makes me infer that the first cut was a snuff film.
Interesting. Did you like it? I want to hear the opinion of someone who didn't see the original cut.
I think it's safe to infer that they did not.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I still can't get over Uncle Ben in ASM getting himself aggressively killed by the friendliest shoplifter in history. A random guy falls over in front of him and drops his gun (which he didn't even pull out in the shop - he just happens to own a gun), and Ol' Ben's first instinct is to jump on the mother fucker like it's Purge Night.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Jenny Angel posted:

Why is it called the PSX, is that like ID4 where I sorta had to be there

Or like every other console ever except I guess the PS2. I think you're even an Xbox One player, what's the deal with THAT name?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's an aristocrat.

Make it a kind of fish-out-of-water police procedural, then. Weirder people have been cops on successful TV shows.

Actually, make it a classic buddy cop movie! Sgt. Bullock doesn't want a new partner, and certainly not pampered millionaire's son Bruce Wayne! His scores from the Academy are the highest ever, but everyone knows he bribed his way through.

No, no! "Gotham Police Academy"! Aspiring policeman Bruce Wayne studies hard and plays hard, but when all of the cops in Gotham become trapped in the sewers somehow, it's time for the rookies in Gotham Police Academy to graduate fast!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Now try and picture BvS but made in the year 2000 and starring Nic Cage and George Clooney.

This is loving mind-boggling, but I think it could work. Clooney playing it intense, quiet, against his usual "type": "Do you bleed?" and Cage looking stern, melancholy, which he has down pat anyway.

Who's doing Lex at this point?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Slugworth posted:

Just replace Cavill with Danny McBride

Danny McBride as one of the fake supermen that pop up after his death. Only this will make up for not putting a mullet on Cavill.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

CelticPredator posted:

I tried to Snyder a shot. Ya'll forgot the lens flares.

Isn't lens flares more a stereotypical Abrams thing? Although I'm impressed that you somehow managed to make Hawkeye look more CGI than The Hulk.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Drifter posted:

Because it would be rude to insult and run. :colbert:

I wanted to express my immediate disdain at your mentioning the reasons to dislike the dude, as the only quotes of his I'm aware of amounted to "I'm not sure you should be transferring/projecting your particular issues onto the characters that I play." And then if you had mentioned others that I wasn't aware of and were more valid, then I could apologize and continue on my way talking about the billions of dollars worth of SUV destruction that will likely occur in Dr Strange.

strange goes to the car dimension, infinite fractal cars colliding in the space between other cars that are also colliding in eye-watering 3d

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Shageletic posted:

A barrage of images meaning nothing.

"Nihilist Film Critic" could definitely fill the void Film Crit Hulk left when they dropped their gimmick.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I like MoS and vehemently disagree with the whole "Clark did 911" thing, but I do like the take that Zod fight is an endorsement of a "necessary collateral damage" mentality. Superman could limit the immediate damage to Metropolis by simply letting Zod kill him, but the movie presents a scenario in which this is impossible. Sort of like the setup in Pacific Rim where fascism is unambiguously the best defence against the obliteration of humanity. We just have to have a big, smashy fight to save the world.
The fact that Superman takes down a literal drone (the modern embodiment of collateral damage) later on adds another layer of irony to this.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
So, in a nutshell, is the movie saying "Superman is excused from from the damage his struggle causes, because his struggle is just" or is it satirizing this same thing by using heavily loaded imagery of violence? Is it brave for showing the consequences of a justified violent struggle, or cowardly for shying away from a nonviolent alternative? I feel like that's the dichotomy we're struggling with here.

OR: Boogeyman is trolling, in which case curses, tricked into having an opinion again.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

If I amend that to "dope" instead of "brave" and "poo poo" instead of "cowardly" is that closer or is that whole violent/nonviolent approach just dead on arrival?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
A Themysciran oracle should chime in at some point "No, this is but the first world war. There will be a second. The one with Hitler."

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yesss.

That or Booster accidentally offhandedly reveals the Normandy Invasion during WW2.

He arrives in WWI but thinks it's WWII and keeps giving really weird advice to everyone.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Punkin Spunkin posted:

(which every goon is apparently convinced was definitely some Robocop/Starship Troopers poo poo, because, well, of course they are. only way "woke" whitie can justify still enjoying that fascist garbage)

As funny as this is, it's another one of those weird "supposed to" takes. Matt even literally says "... you're supposed to be disgusted". Snyder is trying really hard to sell fascism but fucks it up by showing the Spartans killing infants and the Persians having dope catgirl rave parties. Whoops! Like, Occam's razor that poo poo, maybe Snyder didn't intend the exact opposite of what you're seeing. Hell, even if he did who gives a poo poo? If 300 is making Will go "Again, how do you not root for the Persians when you watch this movie?" is that not a good argument that it's not glorifying the fascist Spartans?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Punkin Spunkin posted:

nationalize marvel & DC, fast track Red Son adaptation, Mike Leigh gets to make his first & last comic book movie.

Sure. That's Will & Matt, though. Of course those are their takeaways. Of course if you're sane and educated and not a piece of poo poo, you see the film and go "that wasn't glorifying fascism at all". Unfortunately I don't think these are takes that the significant portion of its audience came away with. Goons and chapo trap house, to be sure, and that's awesome. It was deep Bush era. Whereas with Starship Troopers the comedy is like, right there, and pretty obvious imo unless you were a tween or kid when you saw it.
I shouldn't have rehashed this though I can already sense the angry posts incoming. mah bad.

I mean what you're saying here is more sound that just calling the movie "fascist garbage" so I probably jumped the gun on this anyway. I'm happy not to have this flare up again.

e: vvvv this too vvvv

Shanty fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 19, 2017

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Alright everybody let's all work hard to make "his references are out of control" the new "quips are on point", good luck out there.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
If only Cavill had grown that moustache earlier he could have "spontaneously" sprouted it in that scene and it would have had the same effect.

"Save... Moustache!"

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
It does help him when Superman gets sick of his poo poo and busts him through a building. He probably knows supes won't go all out on him, but it gives him the stamina to jerk supes around long enough that the point blank krypto grenade trick will work. Without it, Superman could have taken him down non-lethally a lot more easily, but now he's forced play into batman's dumb wrestling match.
I won't argue that it wouldn't have been cool for batman to ditch it the second he landed that first grenade like Zod ditching his armor. Although I guess the contrast is cool too! Batman isn't committing to a pure ideal like Zod did, he's still caught up in this bullshit tactical mindset which is crumbling around him even as he thinks he's winning.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

NTRabbit posted:

The armour made way more sense after the movie when I saw this, where it lets him go toe to toe with almost-healthy Superman for just long enough to let Oliver Queen shoot him with the kryptonite arrow. There were lots of ways to make an homage to this scene that left out the cheesier stuff like Green Arrow, but Snyder seems to have just lifted the imagery and completely ignored and abandoned the context that made it be cool and make sense in the original story. It's probably the best example of how all of the story in BvS is completely disjointed and nonsensical. e: Or whomever was responsible, maybe it was the writers who botched it and not Snyder, but it was still bad.

It definitely doesn't let him punch Superman around like it does in DKR, but it fulfils exactly the same purpose: Dragging the fight out for long enough that Superman lets his guard down and takes a kryptonite blast to the face. Even in DKR it's clear that Superman could paste Batman at any point, but can't safely incapacitate him because of the power armor and has to try and grapple him.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

NTRabbit posted:

If it was meant to fulfill the exact same purpose, then it didn't succeed in getting that across

Well, okay, it serves two purposes: First: Batman needs to go a couple rounds with Superman so he can get in the Kryptonite before Superman pastes him. Second: he needs to be able to gently caress Superman up after the Kryptonite takes effect. I guess only the first one really applies to DKR, so "exact same purpose" may be overstating things.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

NTRabbit posted:

Except the suit didn't let him go a couple rounds with Superman in the movie, it literally achieved nothing.

If he hadn't worn the suit, Superman wouldn't have punched him around like he did. He would have simply picked him up or something. By wearing his mech suit, Batman tricked him into a entering a pissing match he was certain he'd win.
Supes couldn't have given him the same kind of "stop doing that" love taps if he hadn't been wearing the suit, so the fight would have been some extremely contrived poo poo without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

BiggerBoat posted:

I've seen MoS 3 or 4 times now and honestly don't get the problem people have with it (tornado scene notwithstanding). I recently re-watched parts of Donner's films too and I love those also but for different reasons. I have my fair share of complaints about them as well though and they're hardly perfect.

I see MoS as essentially "Superman Begins" and I think that sort of contributed to a lot of BvS problems since we never got enough of the Reeve's flavor or get to see him comfortable in his role as a hero. The conclusion of MoS is basically "NOW he's Superman". He's chosen his path and made up his mind, etc.

Then they kill him in the next movie.

Aside from Nolan's trilogy, MoS is my favorite Dc movie.

I don't know that making an entire movie out of that status quo would have helped. I think the few scenes of saving astronauts, sailors, flood victims etc made the point pretty well.

Wait no, I've changed my mind: Lois and Clark romcom. Fully traditional plot but instead of whatever bullshit implausible job romcom leads usually have he's just Superman. That relationship could stand a bit of time to breathe between initial attraction and marriage/death.

• Locked thread