Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

:siren:Now out on Steam!:siren:

What is Salt and Sanctuary?

Salt and Sanctuary is a Dark Souls-inspired 2D metroidvania developed by Ska Studios, who you may or may not recognize for their well-received XBLA platformers Charlie Murder and The Dishwater series. It has a wonderfully somber aesthetic and aside from the iffy-character design the art style looks fantastic. It also wears its Dark Souls inspirations on its sleeve, having straight analogues to the bonfire, covenant, and Estus flask systems.

If you want more than that there is an excellent video preview (of a year old build, mind) by VaatiVidya that covers the basics of the game without spoiling too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLkHA-W8KFA

Notable Features
  • Two player local co-op (with online co-op being something that the developers may look into in the future but is by no means guaranteed).
  • Asynchronous online features such as leaving messages for other players and viewing other players' deaths.
  • Eight starting classes to choose from.
  • A massive skill tree to advance along as you build your character.
  • Seven "creeds" to join and have empower you.
  • Over 600 items total (of which about 100 are weapons spread across sixteen different categories).

Release Information
This game is for PS4, Vita, and PC. PS4 version released on March 16th thanks to a timed exclusivity deal with Sony, with the Steam version having just been released on May 17th. Vita version is not yet out but is cross-buy with PS4.

Screenshots

Videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2h-SHL64Gw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTT9tsG1suE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyRLnXUoMHs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPQWYbmq3QE

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Until/if I make a proper post, just use the wiki if you're looking for more specific mechanical information. It's decent enough.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 17, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cainer posted:

Any word on how the coop works? Its local ya but who does your coop buddy get to be? Just a random smo or do they get to pick classes and junk?

From Reddit:

quote:

S&S is a great game for co-op, but, like Dark Souls, the option isn't quite as easy as pressing X on controller 2. You have to prove your worth.

Player 2 needs to create a character and save on their own PSN account.
Player 1 starts the game and beats the first boss.
Player 1 gets a key from the boss which unlocks a path heading east.
Head east into the Bandit's Pass sanctuary, where you'll pick up the "Sellsword Idol"
Make an offering of the Sellsword at this sanctuary or the first one, then talk to the sellsword to begin co-op.

After that, it is as easy as pressing X on controller 2.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

LobosJr is currently streaming this game and doing pretty well at it. Might be worth checking out if you're on the fence.

https://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I wish I could play this right now. drat classes! :argh:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

idk, I swear that rolling only worked half the drat time on the same attack as some bosses, it just makes me want to quit playing because of how much of a 50/50 it is. So far it just feels like Dark Souls but with retarded caveats only happening because it's on a 2D plain.

It's not random. If you're close to the enemy you'll roll through, if you're too far you'll roll against them. Looks like the turnover point is about halfway through the roll animation.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Heavy armor was extremely good in Dark Souls and Demon Souls. Not flinching due to high poise was a viable way to beat every boss.

Poise did not exist in Demon's Souls.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

goferchan posted:

What do I do after the first boss and hitting the "I think it helps to go back to the start" guy by the obelisk? I doubled back to the shore and can't seem to find anything new

Head back through the door you got the key for from the boss and check out other paths along that way. One will lead back to the shore and to a new area as well.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Satorr posted:

I've played every class up through the first boss and it's still tough to say what style I dig most, so I think I'm just start with a basic sword and board build.

Is a total tank two hand greatsword manly man build viable in this game? Roll distance seems pretty important so I'm hesitant to gear towards that.

From what I understand (can't personally confirm) defense is actually effective so heavy armor will let you tank quite a bit. I have used a greatsword for a bit and I can say they are quite good. Absurdly so for taking out smaller enemies, a bit tougher versus bosses since they take a while to stun, but still nice cause of the high damage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

goferchan posted:

My damage more than doubled against her by using whatever item gives temporary Holy buff to your weapon. Also you can use a shield to tank her hits and it barely eats any stamina, her range is pretty good and it makes dodging tricky but with a shield its a joke. Hit her when she shoots swords everywhere but don't get too comfortable with that pattern because once her health gets low she'll occasionally follow it up with a spinning attack that does tons of damage.

Yeah, it seems like damage type is really important here. With the proper buff you will typically do twice or even more your usual damage. And stacking defense let's you pretty effectively tank that type of damage, too.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Duke posted:

The Kraekan Wyrm is hilarious with the warhammer. Just put some electricity on it he goes down in like <10 hits. Where's a good spot to find Amber Idols?

They drop from a few enemies (very rarely). The one I know offhand is the big troll guys (like the one outside of the Mad Alchemist fight).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ymgve posted:

What's a good way to spend my money? The shops still have the same gear they had when I created my first sanctuary, and I'm sitting here with thousands that just bleed out because I die a lot.

I like to buy lots of the useful consumables like buffs or the good throwing items.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

It's the other way for me, I had to put away my greatsword and bring out my level 1 midshipman's dagger in order to kill The Alchemist, the False Jester, and Kraken Ogre

Those are all early bosses which aren't that tough (as in physically resistant). Later bosses seem to take jack all damage from swords and daggers relative to the damage that greatswords and greataxes do.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

That's disappointing. I hope I won't have too much trouble with my build (smallshields and one-handed swords, light armor)

Also, these crashes are making me angry!!!

Well, they're not worthless, but they are considerably less effective compared to the bigger weapons. E.g. with a sword I had upgraded a few times it took me a good 30 or so hits to take down a big regular enemy in Storm Castle, with a great hammer I picked up it took like 6 or 7. Buffs help a lot, though, and are very much your friend when it comes to the quicker weapons.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I died and now I'm out of poison items. Where do I get more poison stuff?

Join the Stoneroots (found in the Witching Wood east of the Village of Smiles). Merchants sell poison-related things (I think the Merchant will sell poison knives) and if you summon a Leader and rank up you can get replenishable poison knives or poison buff every time you rest at a Stoneroot sanctuary.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Feenix posted:

When will I find other greatswords?

You don't. The only greatsword you can find is the basic Kureimoa, everything else needs to be transmuted from it. You can get more Kureimoas at least; if you're at rank 2 in the Iron Ones or The Three then those blacksmiths will sell you it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Feenix posted:

Word, thanks. One more question. I wanted to check out Magic. I put a point in it, but I guess all I have is a Prayer so far (past first Brand). When/how would I go about using Magic?

Prayers and incantations you equip to slots (located below the item slots on the equipment menu) and are used as items, thus you don't need any special gear for them. Spells are cast with either wands or staves. Wands are equipped in the offhand only and allow one spell to be equipped at a time (if you've used a crossbow or pistol it's like the ammo you equip for those). Staves are equipped in the main hand and must be 2handed but let you have two spells equipped (used with square and triangle). To use any sort of magic you need the proper level unlocked in the skill tree.

Magic can either be purchased from mages/clerics you summon in Sanctuaries or is found out in the world. Mages/clerics get more magic to sell if you've ranked up in your covenant (summon a leader to a Sanctuary and complete quests which is offering a certain number of certain materials). I think you get your first few more at rank 3.

Question: where do I go to get the air dash brand.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think some creeds have vendors who stock better items depending on how high your devotion is with the creed, and the leader quests increase devotion. So I imagine that there's some perfect combo of vendors and leaders to get all the best items, but I don't know what it is. Devora didn't seem to get new items, but I didn't keep a close eye on the prayers which would be the most likely item to increase for that creed.

e: I still don't know about acquiring sin when you take another oath. I did it with the Betrayer (I defiled the Three's sanctuary) and was able to go back to a Devora sanctuary and take their oath without any penalty. And if you're going to defile a sanctuary, make sure you lose the first time so you can get access to the last creed and its trophy.

Yup, the merchant tends to sell more items, the blacksmith more weapons, and the mage (and I assume cleric) more magic. Most of the good stuff starts happening at rank 3 IIRC. Some notable ones: Iron/Three at rank 3 gets you more Kureimoas, most of the creeds let you get a fintlock pistol from someone at rank 3, and Splendor lets you buy Diamond Clusters (For 0G; probably a glitch), at rank 3/4 (forget which).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Do you get a double jump eventually? It seems like there's a lot of stuff just out of reach.

No, but you do get two movement upgrades eventually. An air dash and a wall jump.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Welp just beat the game. Missed an area though, will have to go do that on my second character when I play this again after Dark Souls III. Final area was cool but it was way too small. Should have been a bit bigger and had a gauntlet of the toughest enemies in the game/maybe weaker versions of some of the small bosses or something, and then a shrine right before the final boss. As it is, it was just annoying having to do about a minute of platforming to get to the final boss. I also felt the final boss probably should have had multiple forms or something. It was a fun fight but had about the complexity of something like the Sodden Knight, which is rather disappointing considering a.) it's the final boss and b.) how much the Nameless God had been built up by that point.

Still, aside from balance issues (e.g. smaller quicker weapons being garbage in the late game) the game was really good.

I'll probably update the OP with more detailed game information either later today or tomorrow, as an fyi.

Feenix posted:

I may be crazy but I often find myself not paying attention to the tiny loot-pickup text. I have not once seen or noticed anything (or found in inventory) when beating a boss. I'm up to the Wyrm. (Beaten, that is)

What loot should I have???

All the stuff you get from bosses tends to be transmutation materials, which have their own tab in the inventory along with upgrade materials. You use 'em at an Alchemist to transform a weapon into another weapon of its class. This is how you get the good poo poo.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Are the elemental stones you get from your faction any different than the ones you can buy? I notice they have a different item slot/name. Are they more powerful? If not is there any reason not to just pick the extra health potion for all 5 leader item ugprade slots? Elemental stones can be bought for 500 gold a pop, while max potion size is a limited commodity.

In those cases the only real benefit is restocking when resting so if you got enough gold to buy a bunch it's not that worthwhile.

Some Creeds have unique buff items tho.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fuligin posted:

Are great hammers/maces just really rare? I've cleared Red Hall of Cages and I'm still rocking the default warhammer. I mean, it's ridiculously effective as is, but I've unlocked up to level 3 great weapons and I just want to make sure I'm not missing out. I do have the option to transmute it into Obsidian Pillar but the scaling is awful (albeit I'm not sure if that even matters in this). This game is really good.

For the great weapons you can pretty much only find the basic one out in the wild (and maybe purchase extra copies from the blacksmith if you increase your devotion to your creed) and you then have to transmute that into any of the stronger weapons.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Am I right in thinking that the gold face guild's healing potion will poison you if you use it too much? Is there golden wine that increases +attack, + defense worth it?

It poisons you if you drink too much too quickly yes. Worth it not just for the golden wine, but also because you can purchase diamond clusters at rank 3 or 4 (forget which) that are used for quite a number of transmutations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah, it's awful and there's no way to circumvent it. Honestly, it's better to kill everything in your path, at least after the armor mite and the buccanneer guys. Once you get to the platform with the archers, you can haul rear end to the boss arena, then wait for whoever followed you to teleport in, kill them and hop to the boss. It's "efficient" as best as I can manage, as bum-rushing them tends to get you killed and fighting everyone drains resources.

There is a drop-off you can make close by to the sanctuary. The only monsters you aggro that way are ones that can't follow you into the boss arena, but you will have to use a healing item to recover from the falling damage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Megasabin posted:

I have nothing left to spend levels on as a greathammer/light armor user. Is it worth it to start dabbling in miracles and magic? Do any of the lower level spells actually give significant buffs?

The early spells tend to be buffs. From any mage at any creed devotion level you can get a buff that adds arcane damage, and I imagine that's also true for prayers. More convenient than the consumable buffs imo.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Really? Fuckin' nice, got that one right on my first go. Kudos to the game if this is the case.

Depends on what answers you give him.

Yes yes - Sunset Kite Shield

Yes no - White Plate armor set (heavy)

No Yes - Outlaw Greataxe

No no - Eviscerator (dagger)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Megasabin posted:

So it's not really mages that are imbalanced, it's just elemental damage period. I just fought that boss with the blunderbuss everyone talks about having issues with, and I just slapped some lightning damage on my warhammer, and he died in maybe 10 seconds. I think he shot his gun 3 times period. It was the same story for the third lamb as well.

He died so quickly because you were using a greathammer with a buff. Buffs are powerful (so long as the boss isn't resistant to its damage type) and greathammers are by far the strongest class of weapon, due to the heavier weapons just being strong in general, and very few bosses resisting blunt (if not also being resistant to slash).

Some magic is pretty OP. Dragonfire just melts everything in seconds.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Is the free warhorn a glitch or is it supposed to be free?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYw0wxl64pI

There are a number of items that cost 0G if you level up in Creeds. No idea if it's a glitch or not. Probably is since one of the items is the Diamond Cluster which is probably supposed to be rare/expensive.

Oxxidation posted:

Parrying and shields don't seem to be of much use in this game, mainly because the 2D plane allows for much greater enemy variety and vertical combat than you'd see in the Souls titles - parrying is great and relatively simple when most of your baddie roster just crawls or stomps along the ground and tries to take piece out of you, but S&S has flying critters and sniper critters and angry blobs and lightning ghosts and suits of armor so big they need they own zip code, many of whom like to fight you in groups. It sucks, but a build that's just rolling around with a big-rear end chunk of metal to hit things with is far and away the best one in this game.

I guess it really does stick close to the Souls formula, DEX builds always get shafted.

They have their uses. The top-tier shields absolutely make a lot of bosses jokes as you don't lost much stamina per blocked hit and you nullify most of the damage, letting you do the ole "block boss attacks, get in one or two hits, repeat until dead" thing.

Parrying can be done by any 2handed weapon or by any 1handed weapon if you do not have something equipped in the offhand slot. It's a situational but incredibly useful versus certain tougher enemy types, like the grey knights early on.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 21, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Digirat posted:

Does the air dash make you invincible

As far as I can tell, no.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poor life choice posted:

Can you farm amber idols? I haven't found one yet, in red dungeon of silent hills or whatever it's called.

Also where is the tree of men? People made it sound like an earlier boss.

Amber Idols can be farmed from a few enemies (such as the big ogre dudes with clubs you can find as early as the Watchwood). The wiki has a more comprehensive list.

Tree of Men the boss of the area you're currently in (Hall of Red Cages).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fuligin posted:

There's a merchant in the Red Cages that wants an ear from one of the scythe wielding guys. It seems like they never, ever drop though? Are her wares worth a drat?

She sells the first and second tier of upgrade materials for some transmuted weapons, so yes, it's worth it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Friend posted:

The Bloodless Prince will let you turn it into a class 3 scissors with S magic scaling.

Note that this is not necessarily worth it. Overall I found I was doing less damage than I was with the magic greatsword. Guess more late-game enemies are resistant to lightning than they are arcane.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Feenix posted:

Forgive me for not fully knowing but do I need to do anything to get my faction rank up? I'm still with the 3 gods and my merchants don't have them. (as far as I know Ive beaten every boss up to Tree of Men.)

You need to summon a Stone Leader to any of your sanctuaries and complete quests for them (which is just turning in X amount of Y item). Each turn-in nets you one devotion level and an additional replenishing item when you rest (either an extra charge for healing or focus, or a buff or attack item).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

EC posted:

So I've got the shrouded bulwark (aka buster sword) upgraded to VI, and I just noticed I can transmute it to a Scharfrichter V. The Scharf seems to have half of the base damage, but way better scaling (S vs D), so my overall DPS would go up. Is there a reason I shouldn't do this? I'm worried about losing my trusty buster sword that I've had for a very long time.

If it's increasing the weapon's damage then no reason not to.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Where do I go now that I've killed that Wyrm in the Castle of Storms?

With the Brand you got from the lady after it you can progress through the castle more. Check out the areas to the right in the lower/starting part of the castle.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poor life choice posted:

Anyone have any feedback on hybrid builds? I was thinking wands/shields/swords or staves/greatscissors, wondered if anyone has experience.

Miracles seem cool. The more... active? spellcasting of magic seems appealing though.

Can confirm that magic/greatsword hybrid works well. If you choose Amber Idol as your effects you can transmute an arcane damage magic-scaling greatsword from the Queen of Smiles Ear. You can then transmute that (or another Kureimoa if you get to rank 3 in the Three/Iron Ones to purchase them form Blacksmiths) to a lightning damage magic-scaling greatscissor. This means you can also use swords effectively, such as the arcane damage Shikeimaru, or the fire damage Branding Iron. So you can go (2handed) greatsword for one loadout and then either a stave or a wand+one of the aforementioned swords for the second loadout. Gives you quick attacks, slow powerful attacks, parrying, and magic.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This sorta stuff makes me really excited to roll new characters. I made a mage earlier and I'm definitely gonna try and make that greatsword then. What level is it though? I don't want to waste a bunch of stats into strength if I don't need to.

Also, is there a holy-elemental whip that I can make early on? Castlevania run yo.

the greatsword is class 2 and the greatscissor class 3 IIRC. As another protip if you're going mage, find the illusory wall on the way to the Village of Smiles (there are two in the room just before it). One has an early lightning spell behind it and maybe a Stone Mage? Either way it's a fantastic boost to the otherwise relatively weak early casting game.

The only wisdom whip is the Construct Coil, made from the Unskinned's Liver. But you could always go early Castlevania authentic and start with the starting whip, upgrade that to Martial Flail (chain whip) and then upgrade that to the Construct Coil. Alternatively could go more magic-wise and end up with the Searing Manacle.

If you need more weapon information I suggest checking out the wiki. It's a little bare bones but also has some unique information since the devs provided the wiki admin with a selective data dump pre-release.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poor life choice posted:

So if one weapon set is occupied by a greatsword it seems like staves are the way to go to get access to two spells, confirm/deny.

Like my nature tells me to sperg hard on the skill tree but it seems like it's perfectly okay to have little vestigial dead ends and alleys as you work toward your planned build, no need to go back and apply a gray pearl to wands 1 after hitting staves 1. If that's even possible.

e: also thanks for the input. Excited to try it!

P. much. Though that's not always necessary. Remember that in addition to spells which much be cast with wands/staves, there are incantations that are used as items (and equipped in the 5 empty slots below the items slots). You got a lot of options of how to set up your 2 loadouts, is what I'm saying.

I can't say for certain, but you should be able to respec in that manner. The only verboten respec is ones that have pre-reqs; e.g. sword 2 must have sword 1.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

The equipment nodes also give stats equal to the number of pearls they take, so putting a point in a weapon you're not using isn't a waste as long as it gives a stat you use.

Good point. Forgot about that. Although you could then put that pearl into a later magic-boosting skill and progress further along the tree earlier, not that it would help all that much.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't put points into wands 3 without getting wands 1 and 2 and etc., if that's what you mean.

Moreso if you need to pass through some other weapon type you don't want to use to get to one you do want to use. Like going through swords is the path of least resistance for polearms IIRC.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Running around with a magic staff is a lot of fun, it definitely changes the game a lot. Now it plays kind of like Megaman meets Castlevania in a pretty fun way. I wish there were more spells around; I picked The Three as my starting creed and I got a cool staff that I've upgraded a bit, but no other spells besides fire and lightning. I also can't make the magic sword I want 'cause I can't find any stone alchemists anywhere, but I'm sure one's gonna be in the Castle of Storms someplace.

There's the one in the Watching Woods, dude. You get two orbs of light around that point (at least one from the Sunken Keep IIRC) so just convert that one to your Creed and use 'im.

Also all spells are fire and lightning of some variety (hence the whole "fire and sky" thing) but you do get a good variety of spell types, especially if you level up in covenants. If you want to cheese the game, the House of Splendor, Order of the Betrayer, and Keepers of Fire and Sky all give you the most OP spell in the game (Dragonfire) once you've reached a Devotion of 7 (gotta but it from a Mage tho).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I didn't want to convert that one 'cause I think that's the only tree sanctuary in the game and I may want to try and upgrade all the creeds on this mage build.

Ah, fair enough.

• Locked thread