Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pubic works project posted:

These are of course, killer bees

The Nazi made of bees is made of Africanized bees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gatts posted:

Along with Marvel Oops Phase I guess we're going to need a Cosmic Cube to fix all this poo poo again...right? Or can we get some other super powered man/doohicky?

Franklin Richards is right loving there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

WAIT. This could mean the return of Hauptmann Englande, which would be cool.

Is that the Universe with Nazi Exalibur? Because gently caress that being a reality.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

redbackground posted:

Well, at least their heart is in the reich place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

I liked Inhumans Prime a lot, but X-Men Prime...

The zoning issues of that last bit alone are boggling me. I need a map to figure out what cultural institution is going to be annihilated by Redeemers first. Somehow that is what I'm stuck on from this whole thing.

There are no more historic landmarks in NYC, and especially not in Manhattan, they've all been blown up multiple times.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's probably something in that the people who spend literally 80-100 bucks a week on books alone aren't buying Ms. Marvel or Spider-Woman, and the people who are buying those books are only buying one or two books a week. And the former group probably spends a lot more money on merchandise as well.

I mean, videogames aren't exactly the same as comic books, but the high spending category in both probably has decent overlap and this just came out.
http://kotaku.com/look-at-this-699-witcher-3-statue-1793882458

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

This is what a lot of people don't understand. In an ideal world you could have Jane Foster get powers and have her own identity that isn't taking over for Thor but that book wouldn't make it past issue 10 if it even got that far. With the name Thor on the cover that books is going to sale at a certain level regardless. You're even going to have a certain whiny, but admittedly smaller, section of the readership that hates Jane Foster still reading because it's a Thor book and they never would have picked up the book otherwise.

There's very few people that can launch a Big 2 book with a completely new idea and have it not fall into cancellation territory quick. And that's a problem right there. Really only a creator can do it. You can't have some young up and comer have a good idea for a book and expect it to get made at DC or Marvel. Not because those companies are resistant the idea of new stuff, but because it's not feasible because the readers won't buy it.

Yeah, that's why Riri is becoming (or became, I mostly only read Marvel on Unlimited) Iron-Man instead of getting a differently titled book and Miles Morales book is just called Spider-Man (I seriously can't believe there were people here who thought Miles should be called Spider-Boy when he entered the 616, was that Mr President?)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The financials of Image versus Big 2 hire are so whacked I'm surprised anyone writes for the bif 2 for more than a couple years to get established. I can't remember who, but someone like Hickman or Fraction said they make more money off a 10K selling Image comic than a 40K selling Marvel or DC book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

People put comics and manga up on free image hosts constantly, you don't even have to look hard for pirated poo poo anymore

I was reading comics on my tablet at a restaurant during lunch the other day and the guy next to me just as way of starting a conversation mentions that he's been reading a bunch of manga "because it's all free online."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Who had the conspiracy theory that Squirrel Girl was designed to fail so Marvel could use it as an excuse to stop pushing for diversity?

Probably the same person who didn't understand the issue with calling Miles Morales "Spider-Boy."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

Was there a third 70s horror comic like Tomb of Dracula and Werewolf by Night or am I going crazy?
There was Vampire Tales and Haunt of Horror, but I don't know if those were anywhere close to as long running as those two (I only know them because they're in Marvel Essential Horror. Edit: Son of Satan too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's just weird that someone with those views would want to draw X-Men at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Ironically there's actually a verse of the Quran that instructs Muslims not to cherry pick the Quran.

Wouldn't that be really easy to ignore if you're already cherry picking the Quran?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Onmi posted:

So, to confirm, just cause I'm not seeing it there, the artist has either left of his own accord or been fired.

http://13thdimension.com/ardian-syaf-my-career-is-over-now/

I'm betting he got fired, I just wonder if it's gonna delay any future issues he's already completed while they go over the art with a fine tooth comb.

Edit, naw they'll just play it safe and have Greg Land redraw everything so they can get it out in time.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 11, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

"212" and "QS59". Hate speech. :rolleyes:

It's a reference to a movement to have a politician arrested for his religion.

14 and 88. Hate speech :rolleyes:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

IUG posted:

Yeah I read Original Sin, but that's it. But I figured if I'm going to start the good Thor stuff, I might as well also do the good Loki run that came right before that.

I don't want to talk anyone out of reading JiM, but they seriously aren't connected at all and have different writing styles.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Even the first Secret Wars had the whole gently caress You, Spider-Man has an alien costume and Collosus has to break up with Kitty for reasons.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Leth said Hellcat is ending on her terms. That could also mean they said "hey the books not selling, so wrap it up in X issues?"

It's definitely that, she had a tweet about people saying to her "Hellcat's ending? I need to catch up on it" and her response being, "that's why it's ending."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

rkajdi posted:

Again, why? If I have a budget and can get X number of books, wouldn't it make sense to get the ones that are actually going somewhere? I'm not saying buy the most popular stuff, but if you're making a decision between say Ms. Marvel and Unstoppable Wasp, going with the latter just seems like a bad bet.

You're attitude is why we won't have Hellcat anymore.

Full disclosure, bought the first issue of Hellcat, loved it, then didn't buy anymore issues, for basically the same reason you don't buy Unstoppable Wasp.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nick Spencer keeps trying to do an old school Vertigo comic where you set up a bazillion plot threads and let them play out over 70 issues or whatever, but doesn't remember to make the individual story arcs interesting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Gerry Duggan is bringing Darkhawk to the Guardians of the Galaxy. Assuring his spot as my favorite writer ever.

Did anyone do anything with him after that weird mini during War of Kings?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

rantmo posted:

All-Aaron, All-Ewing Marvel would be pretty stellar.

I remember when people said that about Brian Michael Bendis and J.M.S. Or to get really old school, Chris Claremont and Frank Miller.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

...what did that have to do with anything?

I doubt the ending of Secret Empire is that Nazi Cap is in charge of the world.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh how I long for the days when the worst part of bringing back Young Cap was the dumb costume and shield.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Only 3 survivors from the ultimate world - Maker, Miles, and Wolverines son

Also Miles Father, Ganke, Boom Boom, and Miles Mother despite her already being dead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cerepol posted:

What?!

How did that come about. Ah well good to know nothing groundbreaking. Any good arcs/series that started around then I should look into?

Doom's face was restored at the end of Secret Wars, and he sorta starts to become a good guy in Invincible Iron Man, wanting to make up for past sins, helping Tony out with some magic related stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

I kind of used Secret Wars as a jumping off point for Marvel (money concerns) so I'm out of the loop. I saw something on Google earlier about yet another line-wide reboot or whatever and the original numbering being brought back..?

There were several new books that got relaunched at number 1 right after Secret Wars. Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel has had 3 number ones, Howard the Duck got a new number 1 after five issues without any change in creative team or direction of the comic.

Maybe your talking about Heroes Reborn in the 90s? Most of the Avengers and the Fantastic Four "died" then came back awhile later with new number 1's, some of those went back to the original numbering, usually at a fiftieth or hundredth milestone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

She's showing up in the She-Hulk book at least.

Speaking of which I remember there was a lot of speculation about how Daredevil made his identity secret again in the Charles Soule book, when it was directly explained how someone might do that in his cancelled She-Hulk.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Which reminds me, is Hawkeye still deaf?

He was still deaf after Secret Wars, he just usually has Starktech hearing aids that make him functionally not deaf unless there's a plot reason for it to matter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm pretty sure that he got a new body at some point and that fixed that, but I can't recall why I think that. Maybe when Scarlet Witch brought him back?

He got his ear drums punctured in the Fraction series, which was after Scarlet Witch brought him back to life.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Besides his oh so brief time on a farm I'm not sure you can really qualify Thanos as ever being a full on good guy or really even halfway there. He was always on the side that eventually worked out best for him. Even in something like Infinity Abyss where he's fighting his evil clones or in Marvel: The End where he literally saves the entire universe and nobody knows about it. He did those things purely out of self interest. Starlin wrote him nuanced but never really on the side of good because it was the side of good.

He was a good guy in that mini that I don't think was supposed to be a mini that predates and kinda leads into Annihilation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Is Thor Marvel's most consistently good title? I feel like it is, it's been generally awesome for years.

A lot of people don't like the Matt Fraction series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Yeah Daredevil has been consistently good for like 15 years now.

Also weird how Fraction managed to have such a hit with Hawkeye but such a dud with Thor, Iron Man, and especially Fear Itself. Was his X-Men or Punisher runs any good? I feel like Immortal Iron Fist might be the only really good thing he wrote for Marvel besides Hawkeye. Though I did enjoy his Fantastic Four and very short Defenders runs.

Given the high quality of his indie stuff I think he just batted heads with Marvel editorial too often. His best Marvel work is the stuff unconnected to ongoing plots but Marvel kept wanting him to be an "architect" of events. He quit Marvel in the middle of working on the first attempt to make Inhumans a thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

There's not much of his indy stuff I like besides Sex Criminals. Though I never tried Satellite Sam. Casanova just admittedly wasn't my thing but ODY-C was like right in my wheelhouse and the only thing I came away with from that is loving the art.

Casanova series 2 has a lamb recipe that I still use.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Wait, there are people that didn't like Fraction's Iron Man run? I thought it was a pretty drat good run, especially considering he was stuck with the "fix it so Tony isn't a facist anymore" story beat.

That was actually really great. They should probably bring him back to fix whatever the gently caress Nick Spencer is doing to Captain America.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That's the nice thing about Land. If you do like a book he's on, you know it's probably not going to miss any ship dates.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

Bagley comes from a military family and was in the military himself, then later worked for Lockheed Martin. So Joe Mad is the epitome of lazy artist whereas Bagley is the epitome of work and discipline. All other artists are somewhere in between.

Yeah, Mark Bagley drew 18 issues a year of Ultimate Spider-Man for more than 100 issues, that's some impressive poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, Mark Bagley drew 18 issues a year of Ultimate Spider-Man for more than 100 issues, that's some impressive poo poo.

I should point out it's probably easier to do that when you know Brian Michael Bendis is going to cover half your art with speech bubbles.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

I'm reading old Thor comics and Len Wein and Walt Simonson just ended their run (Simonson comes back later obvs). In their place is Roy Thomas and John Buscema. Now, maybe it's the inking, but I never thought I would ever consider Buscema a downgrade. But it's true. Simonson's stuff was better.

I haven't read it, but it might be Roy Thomas' fault. I think it's a bit easier to save bad art with good writing than it is to save bad writing with good art. I like Roy Thomas too, it's just Walt Simonson was firing on all cylinders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Just like most people who take issue with Secret War don't think Marvel's actually going to keep Captain America as a Nazi, most people who take issue with Secret War don't actually think that Marvel Editorial has a mandate to make Nazis cool and good, but "let's take an iconic character that represents freedom and justice and punching Hitler in the face, created by a couple of Jewish guys, and write a story where he gets magicked into always having been a Nazi" along with all the other dumb poo poo that springs forth from that decision, written by a guy who spends all his free time being a dickhead on Twitter, sure does have what the kids these days are calling "bad optics."

Secret War was the good event (also several bad events and a non-event miniseries), this is Secret Empire the bad Captain America event (that was also a good Captain America storyline 40 years ago).

• Locked thread