Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb1oSrKj_qw

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

A mockup someone did of touch screen controls specific per game. Looks cool, though how practical it is it's entirely another matter.

Also, that bevel contour and badly applied small label don't give it much credence as a real thing that actually exists, though it still looks impressively real for a mockup.

e: an image illustrating what I meant:

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 24, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The Walrus posted:

still seems like a lot of work for no real reason, buttons are fine.

Well, if real, I imagine they are going away with buttons to transition more easily into making games for both mobile and their console at the same time, not because buttons are bad or outdated or anything.

Junpei Hyde posted:

that controller was actually good though.

Eh, honestly, no, not really. Ergonomically, it's not good. Functionally, it's not good either. It was revolutionary, sure, but it had problems.

I'll say though I never expected the U tablet controler to actually feel good after its first reveal, but I ate crow there.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ahundredbux posted:

Can you side talk into it like the hit gadget N-Gage?

No, but you can use it as a football.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

wait is this ugly weird oval flatscreen thing actually real?

Is anything real?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

My 3D modeling teacher actually talked about the NX yesterday. He said that people have been trying to debunk the controller, but the screen image shown in the initial "leak" showed some Ubisoft asset or something, and the idea is that people wouldn't have that, maybe? Does anyone here know anything about that?

You are getting two rumors mixed. The first "leak" showed a still of an Unreal 4 tech demo (at a very odd angle), while the second "leak" has some trees on the reflection that have been theorized to be the trees on the front of one of Ubisoft's studios. The reflection of two trees. The Internet makes you stupid.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

abagofcheetos posted:

this should probably be included in the op for easy reference

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model

But this isn't the Wii U thread. :confused:

I should probably make a new one, considering the mods aren't unlocking the last one. Guess I'll have to ask first, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

You will say wow!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I just said wow out loud.

Seriously though I'm still laughing at the trees theory.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_B65J86D_8

Of course the other "leak" was fake too, but the guy explains the whole process from the 3D printing to the use of sand paper and spray painting, which is pretty cool since it looks great for something done by an hobbyist. Worth a watch.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 25, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

raditts posted:

What was Sony's version of the second screen anyway?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Fix posted:

Great choice of tag, tho.

Yes, it's perfect.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Some new rumors. Basically, Nintendo is focusing first on the console, it's more powerful than the current PS4 "by a noticeable amount", four Wii U ports are being worked on but not all may see the light, and the architecture is believed to be x86 and not ARM. NDAs are so tight that nothing else has come out in spite of prodding from all directions. That's an achievement.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Could I get the Cliff Notes™ version of what this means?

I imagine you are asking about the technical stuff and not shitposting your own thread, so I'll bite: PC architecture is x86, and both modern consoles (Bone and PS4) are x86. That's the instruction set of their CPUs.

Nintendo traditionally worked with PowerPC for consoles (a now very dead architecture) and ARM on their handhelds. With ARM becoming much stronger in the past few years, it was believed that they would use that since the NX in theory is supposed to be both devices (console and handheld). A x86 handheld is pretty much impossible at the moment due to how much battery and size those CPUs take.

Confirming that the console is x86, however, means that ports from PC/other consoles will be much, much easier to do. That in turn means, that if a NX handheld will come at some point, it will receive scaled down ports from the NX console, which not every company will do, sure, but if they have the right development setup (and even back then Iwata was saying that was their intention) it will be easy and thus will happen frequently. If anything, the wait to release a handheld may be intended for mobile hardware to get to the level that those scaled down ports won't look inferior.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 13, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

If anything it sounds like Kimishima (and the late Iwata) had a good plan on how this will work out. It sounds like it will be a Genesis vs SNES situation, where the Genesis had the lead but the SNES had superior hardware and Nintendo exclusives, so the latter eventually won that particular console war. The only difference is that the Genesis did not have over 30 million systems in the hands of the public when the SNES came out, which the PS4 does.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Sounds like a starry-eyed pipe dream to me but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

I feel much the same.

Amusingly enough, Sony may have just shot themselves on the foot here with that PS4K thingy. While people don't have to update, many will feel compelled to -- except if there is another system that is also stronger than their current hardware, that has third party support, but a unique selling point (cool Nintendo exclusives, for one thing), maybe those people won't go with the PS4K after all. Splitting their user base is generally unhealthy, yet this is what Sony is going to do. If Nintendo's in the right place, at the right time, they can use that to their advantage.

It's fun to speculate. In fact, it's the only thing non-insiders can do right now. Other than shut up and play their videogame backlog. :v:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

A Smash 4 NX has been rumored for months including by that Emily Rogers lady. Don't give too much stock into what she says, though, she doesn't seem to be on the ball much lately. Still, it would be an easy system seller for those who didn't buy a Wii U.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I forgot the launch window games (first 3 months or so)

Nintendoland and Nintendoland. They really, really pushed it to be the system's seller and it sadly misfired and then they completely disowned the game, even though it's one of the best party games on any system. It was followed by New Mario U (the best one yet, but as the fourth New Mario game it was mostly ignored), Zombi U (Ubisoft's attempt at a unique new IP that would take advantage of the console, quietly ignored), and Pikmin 3 a few months later. Tons of other third party games, though, including from EA and Warner Bros, but as most of those were ports of games released several months earlier people wrote them off completely.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Miyamoto on an interview with Associated Press:

"In terms of NX, there's an idea that we're working on," said Shigeru Miyamoto. "That's why we can't share anything at this point, and I don't want to comment on the other companies. If it was just a matter of following advancements in technology, things would be coming out a lot quicker."

The NX is either going to be earth shattering revolutionary or a tremendous let down what with all the secrecy and hype and then *fart*. Can't wait for September.

Imagine I inserted a picture here of that History Channel aliens guy but he's saying "holograms". I'm bad at Photoshop.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Other interesting stuff. This was part of one of the last presentations Iwata did:

And there's also that amusing "cloud computing but not really" patent:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

How would you monetize the caring of virtual dogs? By letting them die if you don't buy the food packs (only $2.50 for 5!)? That would very likely cause a tremendous backlash with soccer moms.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Disney Infinity had no Alice in Wonderland model (the original, not that Tim Burton abomination). It is therefore a failure.

In NX rumors, the newest one is from some dude who studied a bunch of free-form 3D patents from Nintendo and is making a case that the NX would turn any TV into a 3D system with head tracking similarly to the Nu3DS. Or something.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 1, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUwWAI_Zfn4

Those crazy Nintendo of America folks chasing the Youtube generation. Should have used the chance to get Dark Gary back.

#itsforkids, Internet, don't get mad as usual.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

More Izzy! More Nintendo 90's-styled videos!

Oh, hey, something new: the president of Ubi "please don't buy us" soft, Yves Guillemot, has come on record to say they will be supporting the NX day one on an interview with GameInformer.

“You can expect we’ll support Nintendo. Nintendo is one of the best partners in the world.”

“We could see it wasn’t selling as fast as expected, so we reorganized around other platforms. With the Wii U, we were able to relaunch Rayman 2D. It was a good thing for the company and the brand and its fans. If you remember, it was supposed to be Wii U exclusive, but we made it multi-platform when we saw it wasn’t selling fast enough. The Wii U has done quite well. It’s still a Nintendo machine with lots of great franchises, and we’ve sold lots of copies of Just Dance on it.”

And speaking of Just Dance and Rayman, those weren't the only titles they released on the U. Of the big studios they are clearly the one who put more third-party titles on the system. Here's a list:

• Assassin's Creed III
• Assassin's Creed IV
• Rayman Legends
• Avengers: Battle for Earth
• Zombi U
• Rabbids Land
• Your Shape Fitness
• Sports Connection
• Watch Dogs
• Splinter Cell Blacklist
• Child of Light
• Just Dance 2014
• Just Dance 2015
• Just Dance 2016
• Just Dance 2017

Though I imagine people will only remember Rayman Legends and Zombi U affectionately. Still, it bodes well for the NX if Ubisoft is saying they are on board.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 3, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Been trying to get the OP inline with what we know about the NX. Anything missing?

A very important addition.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

But if you want to add more fuel to the NX being a carts-based system rumor, there's the Breath of the Wild trademark application mentioning it will come both in discs and cartridges.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCh9--2xcKk

CG trailer for what's likely Sonic Generations 2 (no official title given yet, though). It's coming to NX along with PS4, PC, and Bone. Since it's not coming to smartphones and the like, that should be some confirmation the NX can run games requiring superior tech than Wii U for what it's worth. :shrug:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Rumor mill for anyone who still cares what this lady says. Read from bottom to top.

September looms closer at least.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Here we go, rumor mill! Eurogamer: Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers. It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Exclusive picture of the prototype:

(not actual prototype)

Eurogamer may have jumped too ahead to get this "exclusive reveal" that may turn out to be entirely wrong, but it's looking like this might be it. Between Nvidia's Tegra and rumors that it wouldn't be as powerful as the PS4 (try to miniaturize one of those into a handheld) and the fact Japan's home console market is entirely dead, it's not entirely surprising.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hidden in plain sight?? Fits the bill, at least.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

lol it wont be able to play WiiU games let alone PS4, the tegra chip is way too underpowered for that.

Tegra X1 (2015) is superior to the GPUs of the X360, PS3, and Wii U. The X2 (2016/2017) will be slightly more powerful than that and using Vulcan. Even if they underclock the X2 for energy saving, the NX handheld will still be vastly superior to the older consoles. And portable.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

greatn posted:

Is that a mock up Eurogamer came up with based on what they heard, or from one of their sources? They're not really clear on that in the article.

On Tom Philips' twitter it says it's a mockup they (Eurogamer) came up with to try and explain how it will probably look.

limaCAT posted:

Will it keep resistive screens?

Please Nintendo keep resistive screens.

Buy a proper drawing board, you bum. THQ made these uDraw tablets that were all the rage (in destroying their company, that is) which can be found rather cheap while working on PC.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 26, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

japtor posted:

I hope NX is region free.

Rad Valtar posted:

I would just like Nintendo to stop making me rebuy virtual console games on every loving device.

But seriously, drop your hopes right now and lower your expectations -- it's less painful in the long run. Also, it won't summon the ghost of jivjov.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

greatn posted:

I know what controller I'm using

"Input not detected. Error code 50340. Perhaps it is too small for use?"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Martinpale posted:

I threw a SNES emulator on my old PSP and handed it to my fiance', who's 29..the first thing she did was start tapping at the screen to use the menu.

Sever.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Between Pascal and $199, rumors are getting crazier by the minute. Don't trust anything until September.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Digital Foundry's Retro perspective on all Nintendo launches should be interesting for you if you are interested in the technical stuff Nintendo can do with whatever hardware they have on hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuXEnukk--k

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think there was a Sega Genesis controller shaped like that.

You're likely thinking of the N64 boomerang controller.

I remember people saying it's actually comfortable to use. Somehow.

greatn posted:

Falco was using the NX controller in that anime

Saoshyant posted:

Hidden in plain sight?? Fits the bill, at least.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Digital Foundry still trying to milk anything with the NX on the name, now compares how Gamecube/Wii emulation works on Tegra X1 so we have a basis of comparison if NX will be able to run those in its VC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGdHM8AIhvw

This is using the Dolphin emulator on Android. Android adds some overhead, Dolphin is of course not 100% accurate, and the Shield Tablet isn't using Vulkan. And yet, framerates are close enough that taking those three things out of the equation, Nintendo could pull it off with proper accuracy if they thrown enough M2 wizards at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

So if the EG stuff is true, Breath of the Wild is probably going to be the most technologically impressive game we see on the system ever, and may look and play worse than the Wii U version.

What have you been reading to reach this conclusion? The Tegra X1 chip is vastly superior to both the CPU and GPU on the Wii U, and that's the old chip we know of. There's still a possibility it will be a superior one even.

Hell, you quoted my comments about old system emulation. If you know anything about how emulation works you'd know the Wii U can't actually pull even Nintendo 64 properly. And that's from 20 years ago.

• Locked thread