Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

We're talking about the company that would make 10 million dollars if they just released untouched ROMs of their Pokemon collection onto the App Store, but they just don't do it because I guess nobody over there thought of it yet? I'm not really sure. It's guaranteed money. Also whoever thought of friend codes should be shot.

Source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

We're talking about the company that would make 10 million dollars if they just released untouched ROMs of their Pokemon collection onto the App Store, but they just don't do it because I guess nobody over there thought of it yet? I'm not really sure. It's guaranteed money. Also whoever thought of friend codes should be shot.

Friend codes get a ton of poo poo, but I think the only part of it that's deserved is needing a friend code per-game, and not per-system. A twelve digit number is less memorable than a name you've chosen, sure, but once it's entered, that's basically it. At least for Wii U/3DS, the implementation was poo poo on Wii/DS where codes were per-game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
WiiU had usernames.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Ah, right. It's been a dog's age since I had to mess with it. But my point about "per system, not per game" stands.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

And the rumors -- pardon, the reports -- just keep coming from those former Destructoid people:

quote:

As others already said, it’s a hybrid console with detachable controllers that have a split D-Pad, A, B, X, Y, and a camera / share button. However, something I believe none of them have mentioned is the size of the current dev kit.
It’s slightly thicker than the Nintendo 3DS XL when folded, so 25 mm, with a width of around 281 mm and a height of 92 mm with the controllers attached. Separated, the controllers have the same depth and height, and they both have a width of 38 mm, making the console itself have a width of 205 mm.
I’ve made a picture detailing where the TV port, headphone port, SD Card port, power button and cartridge port can be found.

One final thing I thought I should discuss is how the controllers connect. They’re both held by the console via a hole in each side of the system where the controllers can connect to. It sort of looks like this.

To take it out, there’s a button on the back of each controller that lowers the center spike that keeps it in place, making it eject from the system.

quote:

We also have two separate sources claiming that the current NX development kits are region free, and that those developing software for it have not heard anything about region locking being added before launch.

:eyepop: Region-free is all I want from the Nintendo NX videogame portable hybrid thingy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This is the rumor I frankly find pretty drat suspect because Nintendo dev kits are always giant monstrosities that don't resemble retail units.

If they had said prototype it would be more plausible.

But the 3DS dev kit for instance is a giant jagged metal box

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Oh, so the detachable controllers may connect to the console in a similar fashion to the Wii motion plus dongle attaching to the Wii remote. In other words, I'll never get it right the first time.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
it's a devkit of course it's region free

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Kashuno posted:

it's a devkit of course it's region free

Let me have my moment of happiness and hope. Just for a little longer.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Jsor posted:

The NX will be Nintendo going back to their roots.

What I'm saying is it's a deck of Hanafuda cards

Fun fact. Nintendo never stopped selling Hanafuda cards. I bought some while I was in Japan as I wanted some Japanese things as neat souvenirs and they were made by Nintendo.

So what I'm saying is that I have an NX already. Who wants to start the bidding?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Saoshyant posted:

:eyepop: Region-free is all I want from the Nintendo NX videogame portable hybrid thingy.

I'm gonna be playing so many Taiko Drum Master games! :holy:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

a.lo posted:

People use to get real excited for Directs

People will be excited for them again once they finally spill the beans on the new console. For the longest time they've just been a "we promise this system isn't dead, see, look at all the software coming out!" type of thing.

If we get through September with still no information on it then I think it's going to be delayed. I sort of already think that.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I think we'll see something in September still. I feel less confident about it being before TGS now, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

JordanKai posted:

I'm gonna be playing so many Taiko Drum Master games! :holy:

A man of fine tastes. :hfive:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Black Stones posted:

Fun fact. Nintendo never stopped selling Hanafuda cards. I bought some while I was in Japan as I wanted some Japanese things as neat souvenirs and they were made by Nintendo.

So what I'm saying is that I have an NX already. Who wants to start the bidding?
I'm gonna need to see a YouTube unboxing vid

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Nintendo has been selling the NX for over 100 years you IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think we'll see something in September still. I feel less confident about it being before TGS now, though.

Nintendo isn't going to be at TGS though, are they? When I last saw the exhibitor list they weren't there.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Nintendo never goes to TGS

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

a.lo posted:

People use to get real excited for Directs

I always get excited for Directs because I Expect Nothing

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Nintendo isn't going to be at TGS though, are they? When I last saw the exhibitor list they weren't there.

Well, poo poo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo said they won't reveal or talk about the NX in the next direct, but I think it will be there. In the background, under a covered glass case the whole time, with a sign that says Nintendo NX, and flanked by two security guards in three piece suits. It will be plainly there but no one will acknowledge it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

greatn posted:

Source your quotes

You're right, people haven't been asking for a Pokemon game on a cell phone since the birth of mobile gaming. They just download ROMs and install emulators for no reason. Nobody actually wants to play a Pokemon game on their cell phone, that's just insanity. I mean, nobody bought all those Final Fantasy games that got ported.

It's the most obvious business strategy of all time. Even Disney is starting to realize they can't make money off of new poo poo (or rather, there is an inherent risk involved with new stuff), so let's remaster and re-release some old poo poo. When Nintendo makes new poo poo we get Metroid Prime Federation.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 31, 2016

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

i want picross 3d 2

This leak is confirmed by my sources. Also, the NX moniker isn't actually the name, but the suffix for the device. "Nintendonx" is the name of Nintendo's revolutionary new device, pronounced "nin-ten-donks".

I had an artist(me) collaborate with this VERIFIED source to create a rendering of the new system. This is *exactly* how it will look, minus a few differences in colour schemes, obviously.

Edit: Correct Quote

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

You will say "Wow!"

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Natron posted:

This leak is confirmed by my sources. Also, the NX moniker isn't actually the name, but the suffix for the device. "Nintendonx" is the name of Nintendo's revolutionary new device, pronounced "nin-ten-donks".

I had an artist(me) collaborate with this VERIFIED source to create a rendering of the new system. This is *exactly* how it will look, minus a few differences in colour schemes, obviously.

Edit: Correct Quote

tbh this looks better than any of the mockups

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I did, I did say "wow" out loud.

I'll keep pressing that forbidden fifth button all day long and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Saoshyant posted:

I'll keep pressing that forbidden fifth button all day long and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

it is forbidden

you're going to jail

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Raserys posted:

tbh this looks better than any of the mockups

The truth is beautiful.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Gonna tellllllll Nintendo, and then they'll put your brain in an NX and fly you to nighted Yuggoth.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I will press the girls only button but I am a BOY!!!!! :shopkeeper:

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
GOD drat IT NINTENDO JUST ANNOUNCE THE loving THINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Kashuno posted:

I will press the girls only button but I am a BOY!!!!! :shopkeeper:

Not for long if you keep pressing that button!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

InFlames235 posted:

GOD drat IT NINTENDO JUST ANNOUNCE THE loving THINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Mods, please send this thread on a forum tour until the NX is announced.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

When Nintendo makes new poo poo we get Metroid Prime Federation.

Or we get Kirby: Planet Robobot, or #FE, or Splatoon, all of which are excellent games

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The Fall of InFlames235: A Tragedy in Five Acts

InFlames235 posted:

I'm actually pretty stoked on this thing.

InFlames235 posted:

I just want Nintendo to loving announce the thing already. So much speculation and not even an announcement of an announcement yet

InFlames235 posted:

So it's almost the end of August and no mention of a Nintendo NX Direct event to announce it - is September announcement not likely to happen anymore?

InFlames235 posted:

Hi guys, looking forward to another week of NX rumors with no update at all from Nintendo since they will never announce the console?

InFlames235 posted:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

You're right, people haven't been asking for a Pokemon game on a cell phone since the birth of mobile gaming. They just download ROMs and install emulators for no reason. Nobody actually wants to play a Pokemon game on their cell phone, that's just insanity. I mean, nobody bought all those Final Fantasy games that got ported.

It's the most obvious business strategy of all time. Even Disney is starting to realize they can't make money off of new poo poo (or rather, there is an inherent risk involved with new stuff), so let's remaster and re-release some old poo poo. When Nintendo makes new poo poo we get Metroid Prime Federation.

Oh wow that was actually you.

Zootopia was a billion dollar movie, by the way.

I'm just laughing at your business acumen of completely diluting all value of their ip and hardware in exchange for "tens of millions" from iTunes.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Oh wow that was actually you.

Zootopia was a billion dollar movie, by the way.

I'm just laughing at your business acumen of completely diluting all value of their ip and hardware in exchange for "tens of millions" from iTunes.

I agree with both of you in a way. Sun/Moon obviously isn't going to go on an iphone but they could sell red/blue for 29.99 on the apple store and make probably more than they did on the initial release of the games. This doesn't dilute the value of their IP, if anything it gets people who aren't tuned into the games industry asking 'hey I wonder if there's a new pokemon I can try'

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The people that would have bought Pokemon on a phone are playing Pokemon Go and happier for its simplicity.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

greatn posted:

Sorry i meant say a zillion trillion monies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Raserys posted:

The Fall of InFlames235: A Tragedy in Five Acts

Hahahaha I didn't realize how much I had been complaining here. Woops!

• Locked thread