Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

Unfortunately, our house was a steel-frame pre-fab. We couldn't add a second story, and no contractor was willing to start cutting through walls with unknown steel beams.

So, we blew it up. RIP house
Anyone from outside Japan and/or Asia will probably notice the bare minimum insulation. :japan:

So as you rebuild, how are you going to address the apparent "minimal insulation" issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

Ceremony to ask God(s) for their approval before construction starts.

:buddy: That's awesome.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

The roof is on and we're having a bbq with the carpenter dudes :cheers:

EDIT: VVV 6 dudes plus a crane operator. All the beams came pre-cut and labeled so it was all wooden hammers and a few bolts.

The progress is amazing. Out of curiosity, what does one serve at a BBQ in Japan?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

Window frames. Security grills are the current standard for bathroom windows, but I'm not sure why.

Why are the windows different sizes and at different heights? Will one be in one room and one in another?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

stupid puma posted:

I feel like a wallpaper accent wall can look cool but on the other hand I'd rather just stencil the design in with paint and be able to paint over it when my wife inevitably changes her mind.

Anaglypta and Lincrusta have some cool patterns and are somewhat crossing the line between decorative moulding and wallpaper. As with all wall coverings, I suspect that they're a pain in the rear end to take off.
http://www.lincrusta.com/
http://www.anaglypta.co.uk/

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

Scaffolding gone!

Looks great, major progress in only 5 pages.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

Advice please, goons!

One idea might be to put a set of sliding shelves in the smaller alcove on the left. That would clear up the floor area where the current shelves are. You could also put a shelf in the upper part of the right hand alcove to turn the angled area into a dead-storage area, add a nice looking door for each area. As for the remaining largish rectangular area on the right, do you need a wine cellar of a sort?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Comedy option: put wire mesh across both alcoves and turn it into a red panda habitat!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702007

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

This is great, thanks!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

At home I vacuum about twice a week, or whenever the pube tumbleweeds bother me. Decorative rugs (and quilts!) are cool and fun.

VVVV No shoes indoors!!! The best advice you'll ever get. My friends and family in the US have such gritty floors.

Definitely coming around to this. I keep house slippers to wear indoors and leave my shoes on a carpet at the door, saves a lot on crud getting in.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Zero VGS posted:

One perfectly good reason I always need the key, what if the apartment downstairs says your apartment is leaking water into theirs, or it smells like a George Foreman grill was left plugged in, yet the renters are at work and you can't reach them? Common sense poo poo like that and I've had both happen.

Funny story, I'm a landlord and one time I let a goon who was facing imminent homelessness live rent-free in one of my unrented apartments for six months. I only asked that he kept it clean.

I checked up on him a few months in and the entire house was a foot-deep of him not taking a single garbage bag out of the house but just stacking them up, with lots of sardine cans and discarded eggshells strewn about the floors.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a piece of poo poo, but plenty of tenants just don't have the mental capacity to get their poo poo together either.

So where did you bury the body parts? Seriously, though, did you evict him on the spot?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I actually use a bottle opener that sticks on my fridge with a phenomenally strong magnet. Just wave it over the wall and BAM, it pulls itself to any nails hidden in there.

Weirdly, though, there is one wall in my house where it is attracted to the entire surface. I haven't figured that out, and I'm sort of scared to investigate.

Might be an expanded steel mesh with plaster over it?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

stupid puma posted:

What’s the R value of birds nests? Might want to leave it up there. Winter is coming quicker than you think.

Thanksgiving and Xmas too, so the birds might come in handy as well.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

xsf421 posted:

If you sand the floors while you have things in the house, everything will be covered in sawdust. No matter how much you tape and seal rooms, the sawdust gets everywhere.

I will attest to this through personal experience.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

surf rock posted:

I could really use some advice if anyone can help. I have a couple of things I'm trying to figure out.

1.) Does anyone have experience with Article furniture, especially this couch? It got a good review in Wirecutter but I can't find a lot of regular-person reviews online for it. I've been hoping for a sale on the sofa but I haven't ever seen it go on sale.

2.) My guest bedroom is totally empty right now. It's not a tiny room, but it's a little small. My goal is to get a bed large enough for two adults in there, plus a little table/entertainment center for a TV and a couple of comfortable chairs (ideally but not necessarily armchairs). I've mapped it out:

The blue at the top is a window, the green at the lower-left is the doorway. The closet is a sliding door, so it doesn't open into the room at all. I'm not dedicated to either the bed or entertainment center locations; but those were my initial thoughts. Any advice on how I could lay this out? I've been wondering if my only option is to do a daybed with a pop-up trundle or something.

I don't know, maybe do a Murphy bed / cabinet on the right wall opposite the closet. You could substitute a decent writing table that doubles as a desk instead of the entertainment center, put a decent sized flatscreen on it as a TV / computer monitor. Toss in a bookcase against the bottom wall and with those things you have an office area that converts to a spare bedroom.

https://www.murphybeds.com/

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

surf rock posted:

I have a 20+ year old hand-me-down couch that has pretty much given up the ghost, and I'd love to replace it this year. I don't know the first thing about buying good sofas, though, so I would love advice on it in general and specific recommendations (of specific couches or trustworthy) if you have any. I would love to keep the purchase below $1,000 but I'm willing to up up to $1,500 if it's a major quality difference. I'm open to different designs and materials.

It's the centerpiece of my living room and also where I spend most of my time at home, so I really want to get this purchase right. Thank you!

What qualities are you looking for in a couch?

ed: a cowch snipe

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 30, 2018

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

A massive window is only a risk if it slides open.
Modem talk, my ~new phone stand~ arrived.

Awesome! I actually have 3 or 4 of those that I need to get rid of.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

Heck, half the GIS results are just the iron legs repurposed for end tables. If you also have the beautiful old machines (and if they still work!) you should easily find a buyer.
How did you get 3? ...always upgrading to a slightly prettier one without selling the others?

No, I somehow inherited them. Mom had one from her mother, she bought another at some point, and someone gave her a frame without a machine. I'm thinking of getting that one sandblasted, primed and painted and putting a soapstone slab on it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

cakesmith handyman posted:

You're not in the UK are you?

No, I'm in the US / NJ.

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Are you my mother? She had a thing going for a while where she would by those and old sewing machines at garage sales for like $10-20, repair them, and then sell them.

I don't believe so. Did your mom get rid of all of hers?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tomarse posted:

You may jest but bags definitely work better for freezing anything, and you can make them into sensible shapes for storage prior to freezing.

you surely only need enough spare storage containers to deal with short term fridge or cupboard leftovers?

By all means have more that are constantly in use, but if there are a lot sitting around empty then you don't need them

I have a food saver vacuum packer that I use for packing food for freezing, it does away with the freezer burn issue nicely. I use some tupperware, but mostly for day-to-day leftover storage.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Jaxyon posted:

So I have a Craftsman style home (about 100 years old) and while the interior isn't super original, I'd like to add some built-in shelving on one of the walls in my living room, because I want the shelves and I think it would be cool, as well as it fitting the house's style.

Where on earth do I start on something like that? I'm not going to be doing the work myself unless I go the Ikea-hack route, and I have no clue what something like that might cost.

One thing that you might consider is searching for things like "Craftsman built-in shelving plans" or other related search term and find ideas that you like. Then take those ideas to a millwork / interior carpentry shop and just talk with them to get a rough estimate on fabrication cost and time.

https://artsandcraftshomes.com/interiors/immovable-furniture-built-ins-colonnades-buffets

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ravendas posted:

It's more of trying to match color schemes with this:

Really though, it'll be a very light gray wall, and medium gray carpet, is our current plan. So there's a bit of a gradient from the floor, to the wood paneling, to the white drywall upper half. The benches in the pic are going to get recovered with purple like the table (probably). And yeah, there's enough kids stuff down there that there's no lack of color.

Anything is better than this ugly orange wood and nearly-puttputt golf material and color carpet.

Would something like padded foam tiles in a different color / texture scheme help out? Padding might be nice since it's a kid-oriented area.

https://www.amazon.com/Sorbus-Grain...XXZ97CHDG7F82X3

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 8, 2018

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Some renovation-chat:

Our basement flooded last week. So I'm ripping up all the flooring, the sub-flooring, and a bunch of dry-wall. In order to get to a lot of the sub-flooring, I've had to tear down a couple of walls. And a couple more. At this point I've had to rip so much out just to dry it out, that it's turned into a full-on renovation.

The long and short is the (formerly) finished basement is basically down to the studs.

My question: What should I think about putting in now that I have access to the wall cavities? I was thinking some conduit in places for future upgrades of wires/cables, but that's about all I got. And even that is difficult, as the house is supported mainly out of steel I-beams. There's no running conduit through those. I can get around them in places, though.

Follow-up linked question: Please tell me your suggestions for ceilings in the basement. I am dying to get rid of the lovely drop-ceilings the PO put in... but honestly I can't find any better solution. I may be able to attach furring strips and put up a drywall ceiling, but then I lose access to cables and junction boxes that are currently scattered throughout.

Dunno, something like this for a concept?
https://www.armstrongceilings.com/commercial/en-us/commercial-ceilings-walls/woodworks-grille-tegular-ceiling-tiles.html

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Large Hardon Collider posted:

My furnace is celebrating its 20th birthday this year :toot:

Unfortunately the draft inducer motor died last October, so I had to replace it. More unfortunately, the new motor is now on its last legs, after only 4 months. What could cause a draft inducer to die so quickly? Should I try to save this old furnace, maybe by re-replacing the motor and trying a new control board, or something? Or should I write off this furnace and get a new one?

Details: It's a Goodman GMNT060-3 furnace, and the motor is a FASCO Inducer Motor 77-161-000. The new motor's fan spun freely when I got it, but now it's grinding against the housing during part of its revolution, which is also how the old one died. I've lived in this condo for 2 years, so I don't know the history before that. I've been replacing the filters regularly.

When I bought my house, it had a cast iron tankless hot water boiler for heat and domestic hot water. I had to replace it in 2014 because the burner flame had eroded entirely through the refractory clay burner chamber. The guy installing it showed me the manufacturer's plate, it was made in 1967. :toot:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
All true! I was glad to replace mine with a System 2000, went from using 3.5 tanks of fuel per year to about one every 9 months.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

wooger posted:

Where I live in the UK, the done thing is apparently to get planning permission for 2 or 3 more houses on a plot that size, build them, and sell them. Don’t do that though it’s lovely.

I’d put in a nice wood cabin at the other end of the garden, maybe with a Sauna hut too

This: a tiny house with a tiny sauna next to it!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

cakesmith handyman posted:

I think this might actually be larger than a tiny house however

OMG :kimchi:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Enos Cabell posted:

Dedicated VR room / masturbatorium

Yep, he can be watching "Roadhouse" in VR while abusing himself.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

Tiny moths? Summer is starting and bugs are hatching.
Do they tend to appear in one area? There might be a cluster of eggs in an unexpected location. At my in-law's house, it was a small tupperware of peanuts in the pantry. We sealed it in a zipper bag and threw it out. :killdozer:

True dat. My mom had moths in her house, they turned out to be pantry moths that hatched in dry dog food. Could also be clothes moths or others. Catch some in a jar, kill them, and take a picture or two for ID.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

00. scented candles

spend less on candles

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Untrustable posted:

I bought the lumber for the deck/porch thing. I dug a five foot hole to sink a high line pole in. Now my great grandpa is trying to convince me that I should wall over the front door and CUT A BRAND NEW FRONT DOOR closer to the middle of the trailer. He's...he's not wrong. It would look better. I'm considering making a thread to chronicle my dumb rear end renovating this $3,000 trailer into a liveable home in the quest to be willed the untouched (other than where the trailer is) 80 acres of land. It's a long story but the gist is if I get this place fixed and powered and plumbed I will get 80 acres of pristine land.

Current issues include: everything all the time forever.

Do you get the mineral and water rights too?

ed: water rights snype

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 6, 2019

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

MetaJew posted:

Why is it so hard to run a rag or towel around the seal after washing a load and leaving the door slightly ajar?

For a machine that cleans clothes better and uses less water this isn't that complicated.

I've had my machine for maybe 4.5-5 years and have not had any issues with mold.

It isn't hard, it's just that many people don't think of it or are too lazy. I do it to my front loader and it stays fine.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Dave posted:

You don’t need to wipe them if you leave the door a little cracked. Just top loader shills looking for straw men.

Big Top Loader :argh:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

That Works posted:

I'm looking for some opinions on if I should attempt a DIY job or of this is something that's far more difficult / complicated than it seems it might be.

Our house was built in 2004, we bought it in Nov 2018. Over the last winter we noticed that the fireplace insert bricks started to crack and separate and we immediately stopped using the fireplace. We wanted to put in a different insert, one that would allow us to at least have a partial cooktop so we could use it to at least boil water etc if the power goes out (we live a few miles from the Rhode Island coast, so get some big winter storms now and then). Because we are a bit rural, there are no gas lines to the house so its an electric stove and oil heat. I didn't want to run a generator simply to boil water.

Long story short we are getting a wooden stove. However, none of the inserts we found had a decent cook surface and none of the wooden stoves had a low enough height to match up well with where the pipe to the chimney goes. This left us with 2 options:

1. Reduct the entire chimney and rip out the mantle etc and put in the exhaust tube above the current fireplace location.
2. Place a hearth pad on the corner (to the right) of the existing fireplace and put in a separate exhaust tube through the wall there and on its own chimney outside.

We decided on option 2. The new chimney tube would sit in front of the chimney on the R side of the house in the 2nd photo. This area is mostly obscured by trees and has few lines of sight from the front yard so doesn't really do a lot to diminish the look of the house. The labor costs for this installation estimate were also considerably lower than option 1.

We're getting a stove similar to this one but not on a raised hearth pad, just one on the floor:

The potential DIY part comes in with what to do with the old fireplace space. We're likely not going to re-do hardwood floors over the tile panel on the floor, so that's going to almost certainly stay. The fireplace insert, wall tiles and mantle will all go. So that all needs to be removed. Next we'd want to drywall in some kind of cutout into the wall and then paint it up to match. Possibly could use trim etc or something around the cutout into the wall and then tile the floor of the cutout to match the tile going into the hardwood. The cutout would likely be used to store food and water bowls for the dog since it'll be taking up less floorspace and also now be on a more water-friendly surface than the mat we have it on over the hardwood.

I know we need to seal the existing chimney tube off, and also get it sealed up on the roof. I'd pay someone to seal at least the roof one off. Would removing the insert etc and demoing the rest of the surrounding wall, tiles etc be a much more difficult job than I think it is?

Were Hearthstone stoves too tall? I know they have both top and rear exhaust exit options, and some of the smaller stoves might fit into the current fireplace.
http://hearthstonestoves.com/wood-products/4594643898

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I attempted to loosen the pipe under my bathroom sink in order to clear out years of accumulation, and as soon as I applied pressure to unscrew the joint, rather than unscrew, the entire pipe split in half

:negative:

Rust Never Sleeps

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

Most of the diy traps look like that lol

I'm hoping for a snap trap that I can just roll up in newspaper and throw away afterwards.

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Metal-Pedal-Rat-Trap/dp/B00004RAMW
Look at the hand + trap picture for scale.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

knox_harrington posted:

I know right

Awesome. Will do. Does it need to be treated?

Gorgeous view, where is it? Do you have a wood stove?

RRRIIIICOOOOOLLLLLLLAAAAAA!

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 5, 2019

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
What kind of applicator are you using?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nevets posted:

I used to make fiun of my dad for having reading glasses in every room of the house, now I'm doing the same thing with tape measures.

Just get a long cloth tape measure and wear it like a bandolier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sirotan posted:

Yeah its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too huge for me to ask a non-pro to deal with, and I really don't want someone losing half a face when their chainsaw snaps back after hitting some hidden chunk of concrete. But also there would be no way to get a vehicle back there to try to rip it out without destroying a fence or my lawn.

Try the power of small efforts: each day, take an axe and whack it good, 5 times. After a year, it should be greatly reduced.