Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Are there multiple discs for all the soundtracks or is there really a FFX CD without To Zanarkand on it? There's a lot of weird omissions of reasonably popular songs from some of the other games, too. How do you make a soundtrack for IX without Jesters of the Moon.

Honestly the radio is so quiet I don't know that you could hear a piano piece like that over the engine. May as well free up the spot for something else. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ImpAtom posted:

Loading times are among the worst I've ever seen

This said, though, it doesn't actually have to load very often in my experience, only on launch and if you fast-travel.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hey I'm in Lestallum, and I had thought I'd read you could buy music CDs here, but I can't find a store that sells them. Where can I buy more CDs?

Just look around in general stores, yeah. FFV's is at the shack in Galdin Quay, for example. So far at the very start of Chapter 3 (plot-progression-wise), I've found that, II, and III.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Either this game has really convincing weather effects, or (and) I'm an idiot, because I was playing on a rainy, miserable in-game day, and when I had to go out shortly after I grabbed my jacket, despite it being summer where I live. :downs:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Harrow posted:

1. Is the game as fun as it looks?

2. Does it have real dungeons, like I think some pre-release stuff suggested it would?

Not going to buy it until January probably, since I'll be traveling for half of December and I'm definitely not going to have the free time to finish it before I leave, but I do love me some FF.

IMO, yes, though obviously that's a very subjective question and answer.

I'm not very far in at all but they certainly exist, I've been through one. Others could tell you how frequently.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Empress Brosephine posted:

is the day one code worth anything important mine arrived damaged and i cant read the code

If I'm interpretating what version you have right, it's just one weapon. Someone on the paper trail probably owes you some kind of reimbursement, though, if you care to chase it up. :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

DalaranJ posted:

Is there a reason you can hit the brakes of the car when not driving? Aside from the fact that Ignus' confused apology is hilarious.

In case you suddenly see a sight you want to take in, I imagine.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Cephas posted:

The car desperately needs the ability to make playlists. I want to hear Blue Fields and Gustaberg while I'm driving, not a bunch of 8-bit tracks. :colbert:

None of the tracks are 8 bit, though. :confused: The first three games use OSTs for their remakes.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I spend most of every car ride flipping awkwardly through songs and ultimately landing on one of the few same things. Eerily true to life. :v:

E: Wait what there's a shuffle. How do you activate it?

VVV Thanks. This changes everything. :)

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 2, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yodzilla posted:

The fact that there's a separate MP3 player is pretty much proof of how long this game has been in development.

Does the fact it was only added in the day one patch help or hinder your point? :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Levantine posted:

My Chocobo's name is Chocofriend because he's a chocobo and he's my friend.

Mine is Boko because I'm a sucker for the classics. Maybe I should name it Odin though, since I opted for white. :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Skeezy posted:

Is there no way to make the lock on a toggle as opposed to something I have to hold?

I think I've heard to click in R3 while locking on. But imo with the combat system as it is I don't spend too long locked on to any one same point anyway.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ntan1 posted:

This soundtrack is godly. It's better than 13, 12, and 10 at least.

And if you don't agree, it has 13's, 12's, and 10's! :buddy:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Steve2911 posted:

Oh so the pushing the car bit from the intro is actually a mechanic in-game.

That's really, really fun. Thanks.

Even if you didn't notice in time to pay the 10 gil to refuel, you can have your car towed to Hammerhead from the Map menu.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Are spears meant to be so much weaker, in terms of their stated power, than other weapons, and does anything like attack speed make up for it? I would have assumed daggers would be the weakest but fastest, but the ones I'm using have a way higher power than my spear. I hope they're not just bad, I like spears. :saddowns:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If battles are taking a long time, try taking a look at replacing your weapons. I went a long time without any weapon upgrades because I only ducked into towns between sidequests, and finally sitting my rear end down and taking a look for a weapon shop made a huge difference.

In case you do happen to be in specifically the same situation as I was, the weapon shop at the Chocobo Farms were a sizeable upgrade for me early in Chapter 3.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I still don't think I've turned in a rusted bit. Maybe I have and I need to go check with Cid some time. :v:

E: tbf I'm still in chapter 3, not 4, and only play maybe an hour a day most of the time.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 7, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Onmi posted:

They likely are going to, just because it's sort of an internal rule at Square. Final Fantasy is not allowed to just be "The same game the last one was." Even if you have popular elements, they must be redone. Even if the next game is an action RPG, it must be looked at from the ground up. Maybe they wont, and I think that would be a misstep. One thing Square does different to any other publisher is being unwilling to let their main franchise simply be the same game over because they sat on a formula that worked, for better or worse, they always try to do something different.

This (and asset reuse, and the engine being terrible, but bear with me :v:) is why the Crystal Tools fiasco had its costs recouped with XIII spin-offs instead of continuing to use the engine for other things. Of course the difference with XV is, some of us actually wouldn't mind more games just like this. :v:

Thankfully, from the perspective of wasted costs and dev time, they seem to be warming up to Unreal for 7R (and KH3?), rather than rolling their own poo poo again.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Onmi posted:

I just want a cancel personally. I feel like it'd bring the whole combat system together

I admittedly don't actually know, but I thought I heard this was an unlockable on the ascension grid?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oxxidation posted:

If they're going to patch the game this comprehensively then I'd really appreciate a Wait feature to make time speed up. Limit it to camps if you have to, but nighttime hunts are such a chore as they are now.

The game even already has the ability to skip to nighttime, it's just when you accept the hunt, which... isn't very useful. Even if you did want to do it right away you probably don't want to deal with any more night-time enemies at possible, at least early-game when you're not expected to take them on.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Manatee Cannon posted:

nier: drift that boar

yes boar drifting is entirely why I immediately compare that game to ff15, why do you ask

I mean, they're both kinda janky SE-published RPGs that absolutely excel at certsin aspects.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ROFL Octopus posted:

I ended up buying MGSV Complete and Witcher 3 Complete during the PSN Black Friday sale.

I guess once I finish FFXV within the next couple of years I can start on those. :v:

I'm in a similar situation - I was just gifted Dragon's Dogma recently. At least the person who did so explicitly stipulated that it's for after FFXV, so they shouldn't get disappointed that I won't play it for a while.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Captain Fargle posted:

So it normal that even after putting the disc into my PS4 and getting the automatic install, downloading the ten goddamn gig day one patch and then booting the game up I'm still greeted with a FOUR loving HOUR INSTALL before I can even select New Game?

Seriously. What the poo poo.

FOUR loving HOURS.

What in the goddamn poo poo is going on? How the hell does an install take FOUR HOURS?!

That's, uh, not normal, no. Mine took like 20 minutes and I was on a disk copy, not PS4 Pro, haven't installed an SSD or anything, and Australian internet, so I can't think of any factor that should have made it appreciably faster. :shrug:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The flying car is post game only anyway :ssh:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Alder posted:

Also why is recording blocked for the credit list? Is there a huge spoiler I'm missing by while looking at it?

Square-Enix is super-protective of their endings. A lot of LPs run into trouble trying to upload the ending, for example. There are scenes in the middle of and after the credits, so allowing specifically the credits would mean disabling and enabling the block a few times, potentially with pop-ups.

Spoiler if you're still watching the credits:
I'm amused at the fact the post-game title screen is blocked, though.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Azubah posted:

At the end of Chapter 13, are you supposed to be able to hear what Ardyn says? He was saying something but Noctis was grunting so much I have no idea what the grand reveal was.

Someone else can answer in more detail but the basic point is he used to be king but the gods spurned him for taking in the evil daemon disease instead of destroying it and gave the crown to Noct's ancestors.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

MillennialVulcan posted:

Did I misinterpret that? Ardyn seemed more sympathetic to me because of that. As I understood it, he was the original King, but instead of using the power of the King to fight off the starscourge, he used it to absorb the disease from others to ease their suffering. But he didn't realize that it would corrupt him as well and the gods had no choice but to abandon him to his mistake and try again.

You didn't, I was rushing the summary on phone late at night. :v: As far as sympathy goes, it's unclear whether he was a dick because he was corrupted and then spurned, or whether he was a lovely ruler before all that. Remember that the game originally had ties to FF13, where the most consistent theme was that the gods do their own things and have morals that aren't really comprehensible by humans.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Shazaminator posted:

I got Gentiana to appear in a photo while doing a hunt in the powerplant.

Everyone was in those identity-hiding hazmat suits though, and either Gentiana gets suited up as well or the photo could have been anyone.

I really hope you're right, that would be amazing. :allears:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

FF7R and I wanna say KH3? are in Unreal, so.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I love programming games to play themselves

This, but unironically.

E: It's not the best combat system though, just a good one. I like them all.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That being said I've been playing the Totomostro game, it's additicive as gently caress

I kind of wish the arena had a companion phone app or something. I enjoy it too but it feels silly booting up my PS4 just to pick options from a menu repeatedly.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Norns posted:

I hope you can only take photos in episode prompto

Final Fantasy Snap. Make it happen, Tabata.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

MrLonghair posted:

Chapter 13 translation bullshit was proven to be made by the English localization team, not existing in original Japanese, thus those who made that decision can go back to TreeHouse where they came from. gently caress 'em.

lmao

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

People complain about Cid a lot, but I'm pretty sure that crystallised l'Cie can be brought back for another Focus by the Fal'cie as an established part of the setting - that's why l'Cie turn to crystal, to be preserved for later use. That's why Vanille and Fang woke up, right?

:goonsay:

There's always the chance I'm misremembering or inadvertently pulling poo poo out of my rear end, of course. Or you could be talking about Rosch, who does indeed die twice before you even fight him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Lightning Returns actually had a pretty drat good PC port, and IX/X were mostly fine. I think people overstate how bad SE ports are, at least lately.

• Locked thread