Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Minus one was fantastic. It knocked my socks off afterwards when I learned it had a $15million budget. That's insane.

The monster design was tremendous. The visuals of the damage and healing were perfectly done to explain the extent of G's vulnerability, and the level of healing, and it was very well expanded on when showing how the compression cycling was going.
The development from Godzilla 2000 dino-walking, to huge Showa era monster, and then blue glowing Shin terror, was also perfect. The way the destruction from the breath weapon worked, as well, impeccable.

I don't know if Godzilla has ever looked scarier than the shots of him pursuing the minesweeper in Minus One. Such an unbeatable visual.

The human drama was also spot on. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed it.
Got to watch the Shin bluray on the big screen the night before, local theatre I volunteer at had a private showing of it. Missed it on the big screen during the original run, and it was great to see the difference between monster design, as well as the divergence between the politcal drama of Shin and the human drama of Minus One. What a great weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

This was one of my favorite details as well and a fun way to kind of tie all the Godzilla movies into some sort of cohesive narrative.

They firmly show that Godzilla existed before the bomb tests, he's some kind of deep sea dinosaur that legends have sprung up about. Then the bomb turns him into this constantly growing, constantly regenerating, constantly evolving monstrosity. So everything that happens beyond 1947 could be the same creature, or parts of this creature, growing and changing based on outside conditions.

Draws a direct line from Shin, as well

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

One of the scenes that got to me was when Noriko shoved Shikishima into the alley, then is caught in a blast and is swept away by G -1's fury- its like she is claimed by the ferocity of a force of nature, it was very saddening how she surrendered to it after everything else that has happened to her..

Definitely took my breath away. The out-and-back of the blast was very striking and absolutely got me.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

GateOfD posted:

Sure she's shown to be alive at the end, and you can even call she will live, cause there's no body. But the film does it so well that I get to be an audience again

I thought about not seeing a body meaning she might still be alive, but at the same time I was so struck with how intensely the atomic blast hit and leveled everything, that I believed not showing a body was another callback to the atomic bombs and the total vaporization of so many of the victims.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Rented the Criterion Showa Era set, I've only seen OG and vs Hedora. I'll probably skip Hedora for this watch, but I'm excited to rewatch OG after seeing Shin and Minus One this past week.
Then I'll blast through as many of the 13 others as I can before I get sick of it, probably partway through the weekend.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Man, a modern Hedorah could look so cool and terrifying if they really went for it. Legendary’s gone too silly for it to work, but I continue to dream.

Shin Hedorah

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Nikumatic posted:

Garfield starring Chris Pratt isn't actually out yet.

another American kaiju movie??

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, that to me is one of the big themes of the movie. Constantly bringing in new experts and political aides who say that something is impossible, and that they should worry about something else instead - and then the impossible thing happens and it's already too late again

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

"This meeting is adjourned so we can have a different meeting on a different floor with more or less the same people"

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

If Godzilla showed up for real I can promise - as a huge man - I'd poo poo my pants so hard that movie audiences would all hear it. Even over my ear-splitting scream.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Annath posted:

I honestly thought that the lever he told Koichi to pull to arm the bomb was going to actually be the ejection trigger. Koichi would go to "arm the bomb" and end up being ejected while the plan blew up on its own. Not sure what that would have done to him, living when he didn't make the choice to do so on his own.

This is exactly what I thought.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I've been doing my part to spread the gospel of "go see the new Godzilla, even if you aren't a fan you will like it, excellent film overall, etc etc".

My boss, like most folks, expressed surprise saying he hadn't seen any ads/trailers for it. I patiently explain for the umpteenth time that since it's a Toho film, not a Hollywood one, so it didn't have all the hype here in the US. To which he replied:

"Really? They make Godzilla movies in Japan?"

At this point my vision got blurry and my hearing was like my head was full of bees. This guy is 37 years old. How do you get that old and not know... I'm sorry, I think my brain is leaking out my ears again.

I think your boss is trying to get a rise out of you

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I thought so too, I even said verbatim "quit loving with me" (he's a cool boss). No he legit thought that Godzilla was somehow "a story from Japan", like Americans took some old Japanese myth and made monster movies out it or something. The conversation got cut short bc I had to ring up a customer. Trust me, I will be revisiting this discussion next time we're just chatting on downtime.

alright yeah he sounds cool, do it right and get him hooked. I wanna see matching Ghidorah tattoos posted here by the end of January

Gripweed posted:

My copy of The Whale God finally shipped.

Where did you order it from? I want to watch it, and I feel like the odds are good that I'll want to force others to, as well

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Gripweed posted:

SRS Cinema, they’re the ones doing the Blu-ray. They’re usually very good, this long delay is the only problem I’ve had with them.

Ordered. This thread and the Physical Media thread will be the death of me.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Whales and other traditional sea monsters do fit a kaiju niche, I see what you're saying. Honestly that point pairs really well with Godzilla's attacks starting due to nuclear testing and habitat destruction. Just when we thought we'd mapped everything and cleared away the "here there be monsters", all we had really done was give them nowhere to go besides Tokyo.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Desumaytah posted:

My friend, there is a Columbia Pictures movie from 1957 called "The Giant Claw." It's 72 minutes long. If you haven't heard of it, please go into it blind.

Finally got to this, top notch stupid poo poo

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

mods new forum background please

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/titangoji/status/1747804686709575854?t=YB0FP81OmVqW4yaSn5XyAw&s=19

Now I wish I could see the minus color version but I doubt it's coming to Ottawa. It's not just a desaturated cut.

This looks fantastic, I'm very hyped. Looks like at least one local place is gonna be showing it for at least a week, so I'll definitely be seeing it again

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

If ACAB specifically excludes Sid Hatfield, it excludes Godzilla

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Rented and been binging some Heisei era Godzilla stuff this week. They only had the VHS of G v King Ghidorah available and I wasn't about to let it stop me. Turns out that I'm pretty sure it's a bootleg.

God, it's so great to get these visceral 1998 experiences. Being an adult actually rules, sometimes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

incredible blood donor tshirt currently