Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Agoat posted:

MvCI has been great for this thread.

It's the hero fighter we deserve, but not the one we need right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Unless you play a bad character, like Vega.

I got into fighting games again pretty recently, and Vega no longer being a charge character is why I originally decided not buy street fighter 5 when it was releasing.

This games entire life cycle has been very good schadenfreude despite the fact that i've got the most stupid horse in this race.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Get some primal rage in there

Vertigo would totally beat up Doctrine Dark.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I hope the Thanatos that helped set it up starts to feel uncomfortable watching himself get punched in the dick for so long.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Remy and Necro are way cooler than those SF2 losers.

I get that this is seething irony, but Remy is possibly the only thing that could get me to even consider playing sfv after they ruined my pal Vega. He's one of my favorite street fighters.

Guile, but as a takes himself too seriously French youth who spends all his time beating the poo poo out of martial artists because he's a self proclaimed pacifist who hates fighting?

I've never seen another fighting game character as beautifully pants-on-head stupid as Remy. I miss that moron and his low kicky sonic booms.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If you think I'm being ironic about the entire SF2 era cast being embarrassingly awful characters both in personality and design let me reassure you that they are all loving trash and 3's cast was a 1000000% straight upgrade to every single archetype.

The only bad parts of 3S's cast are the fact that Ken AND Ryu AND Akuma all made it in and Chun-li hadn't been fired into the sun.

I like the cut of your gib, ZenMasterBullshit.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I was always more into Darkstalkers and Samurai Shodown back in the days of actually playing fighting games in the arcades of my youth. Street Fighter Alpha series will always be the true Street Fighter in my heart, but I really did appreciate 3rd Strike when it came out for actually feeling different than Street Fighter 2 Plus Turbo Double Mega Chartreuse Edition.

If I had a point in posting this, I forgot it. Now i'm just thinking about how much nostalgic love I have for Samurai Shodown 2 and 3.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Zand posted:

ill never understand what it is that makes people say they want characters that they actually liked beforehand to be put into sfv. why would anyone want a character they like to be sfv-ified?

You know what, I even mentioned Vega in the same loving sentence, you're absolutely right. Match point goes to Zand.

I'm gonna remember you said this when arcade edition comes out and I briefly consider playing a fighting game that isn't Tekken 7.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

and MAYBE Samurai Shodown.

I loved this series so much.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

If you want a good fighting game that isn't dead and isn't an anime airdasher then there's basically just Tekken 7.

I’m a Street Fighter to Tekken convert, and am in love with how ludicrously difficult the Tekken footsies game is to master. Only 1.75 years to go until I figure out how to play this game properly, according to my sources!

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

What’s that, Capcom? Vega is still a ruinous shell of his former self? He still doesn’t even have a single loving charge move? No i’m not willing to let this go.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Zand posted:

edit: also i dont really care that much about 2 button throws, they just tend to be present in games that suck.

I enjoy reading diehard genre fans get all analytical on poo poo, and this comment has me curious what your criticisms for Tekken 7 are.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

Write your best SC6 engrish stage intros ITT

“Can a lust for battle blossom into madness?”

“Let the spirit of destiny forever be rewritten!”

“Heaven or hell, let’s rock!”

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I’m jumping back over to learning Xrd after taking a year long Tekken sojourn. I missed the 2d and the badass soundtrack.

Really quick question for anyone who’s still playing it. Am I a terrible person for thinking Jack-O seems fun to try and pick up? I glossed over her originally because she seems gimmicky and simple as hell. Upon retrying all the characters, turns out I actually enjoy her moves beyond just the dumping idiots onscreen.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

The Hori Fight Commander's pretty good. You could also just use a DS4 if you don't mind the d-pad on them

I bought one of these and really enjoy it, since it always gets mentioned when what pad comes up.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

You all think i’m going to get confused and freak out just because of this shorthand chatter? I’m going to out-scrub everyone and get freaked out about those arcade sticks that don’t have any stick to them instead. Could somebody please take that sweet Melty Blood or May’s personal setup and add some button labels in mspaint or something for me? As a poo poo tier pad using casual, color me loving interested in this madness.

edit for Dias: I guess my brain is just breaking trying to fathom doing half circle motions with wasd.

brainSnakes fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 25, 2018

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Voldo or bust.

And by that I mean if Voldo isn’t in Soul Calibur 6 i’m gonna play Ivy.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

CRISPYBABY posted:

We live in the world we deserve.

I want to live in the world where the Street Fighter collection is a thing I instantly buy on day one because 3rd strike on steam sounds amazing, instead of the world where i’m worriedly asking myself how is Capcom going to ruin their fighting game this time?

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I’m gonna pick up a game this steam sale so I’ve got something to just mess around in and learn while i’m waiting for Soul Calibur 6 to exist. Messing around in and learning fighting game systems is fun.

Do I pick up Uniel, Melty, or some third option?

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I decided to answer my own question and looked the games up a bit to figure out the differences in how they play. Decided to pick up Uniel, played it for half an hour before work, and I’ve already got this to say.

I absolutely adore Carmine. Enough to probably get me to pick up cross tag eventually.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

look at mr mainstream here, the steam sale titles i tried recently are sitting comfortably at 3 / 10 / 160 and 1 / 10 / 230.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Every day I check this thread before work in the hopes of seeing a glorious image of Soul Calibur 6 Voldo confirmed.

Every day I go to work disappointed.

Edit for VVV: As wonderful as that news is, I won’t be satisfied until I’ve personally laid eyes on his beautiful new gimp suit.

brainSnakes fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 13, 2018

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Holy gently caress I’m so happy, that’s sooner than I expected. Uniel is the best modern 2d fighter I’ve played, so that is a day 1 purchase.

edit for new page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGTjxmFvw-w

brainSnakes fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 15, 2018

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I’m sure the pc port of any new version will be delayed, but I’ll keep buying good fighting games on steam to let publishers know it’s the platform I’m fighting on.

As long as there’s a group of nerds playing Unist on pc when it drops, I’ll be happy.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Here He Comes

VOLDO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgVifa8J1Eg

Watch out for his spiky groin

I'm so happy with this. The moon mask with a weird face on the back is perfect. Also he has

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'm super happy. Samurai Shodown is probably my favorite, most nostalgic fighting game series. Charlotte is hopefully a given so i've got one safe pick, but I wonder if i'll get Shizumaru, Genan, or Caffeine Nicotine back. Kind of doubt the last two, but I can dream.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Looks like Ryu's Homestuck OC.

This got a laugh out of me, thank you Waffleman_.

While i'm here, I need some help. I bought Melty Blood on sale a bit ago because everyone keeps saying how rad it is. As much as i'm loving Tekken and Soul Calibur, i'm feeling nostalgic for having a fun 2d game to mess around in and tried firing it up. The game is refusing to recognize my controller or arcade stick, which is kind of a downer.

I'm mainly using a hori fighting commander. I've googled the problem but failed to find any solution that works for me. I've never had to deal with a controller not working through steam yet, and i'm also kind of an idiot, so i'm at a loss on how to fix this. If someone can help me figure this out I promise that I'll play a bunch of Melty Blood as thanks.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I wasn't intending to get competitive about this, I just wanted to mess around in a cool 2d fighter offline for fun, because I like 2d fighters but none of the current ones really float my goat. Also I've tried the big picture fix already and all it did was make it so my keyboard also doesn't work in game. I'll try searching the reddit though, thanks for that.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

How is Lethal League Blaze?

I don't even mean gameplaywise, but how is it for finding people to play against? Bamco fighters have got me spoiled to the point where I balk at having to wander an avatar around ghost town lobbies.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Respect her wishes not to see lady violence and pick up Devil Jin, he's fun.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

Battle For the Grid is getting three new free characters in addition to the season pass content.

When I looked up a youtube video of this game to see what its deal was, it actually surprised the poo poo out of me that it was a 3v3. Even with these free guys, that has to be one of the smallest rosters I've ever seen on a team fighter.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

How many did Skullgirls have at launch? 6?

hosed up if true, i'd have poo poo on it for being too small as well if i'd played it in that state.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

inthesto posted:

In the year 2019 I'm still not sure what tripguard is

It’s the tech Nintendo added to the newer Smash Bros. games after their characters kept accidentally falling over in Brawl

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

In Training posted:

There's infinite rematch and it shows you the latency in milliseconds instead of a nebulous "connection strength", and it shows whether your opponent is on Wi-Fi or a LAN connection

This owns. Infinite rematches are such a quality online feature, Tekken 7 spoiled me into wanting it in everything.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

BattleHamster posted:

Edit: VVV Yea I just checked the retro thread and :aslol: VVV
https://twitter.com/SmokeMonsterTWI/status/1118168545161035777

Is Capcom going for some kind of The Producers type scam with their fighting game scene where if they completely annihilate it they somehow make a huge earning? Possibly from a bet with Satan? :psyduck:

edit for vvvvvv: Ok that's good to hear, but my question still stands

brainSnakes fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 16, 2019

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I gotta say, I laughed when steam told me Sf5 is doing 12 days of play for free starting today.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Since getting back into fighting games in 2016 I can easily say that Tekken 7 is the best one I've played since returning to the genre, no question. I spent all of 2017 playing that game and had incredible fun with it, even if I never broke out of mediocrity.

I don't know if this will be the same for you, Azran, but as a 2d centric player trying to pick up T7, the thing that gave me the biggest headache to learn was while rising moves. Basically the moment between ducking and standing is an actual fighting stance with its own move set and it is really important to learn and use them properly. I was so used to just instantly transitioning between ducking moves and standing moves that I was getting confused with what attacks my own drat character would throw out, and it took longer than anything else in Tekken for me to acclimate to that.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Thank you for this, absolutely downloaded.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

The bullshit waddle little avatars over to computers inside of weird virtual lobbies method Arcsys uses for their fighters online is a dealbreaker for me nowadays.

No big loss on my not trying this one because I’ve never heard of the game it’s based on, but it’ll depress me when the next Guilty Gear rolls out and I opt to skip it despite digging the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Failtron posted:

The matches will keep going, and going, and going...

:zoro: