Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005
He's saying that there was a machine set up for people to remote into, and that he was logged into it when they ran the audit, thereby fooling them into auditing it rather than his system. And the remote system was loaded down with illicit stuff, and that nobody along the chain read the report title before calling him in for the meeting about it, and that the people had been using their own personally identifiable logins to install all this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

baquerd posted:

America is based on coded racism, sure, but I suggest we be real going forwards.

Or we could pretend that the world exists and that in it people sometimes say and do things that aren't literal. Ignoring the fact that code word racism exists doesn't make you not racist, it makes you ignore when people are being racist. Enabling racism isn't a great position to take if you want to be not racist.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

baquerd posted:

How can not seeing race lead to racism

Because ignoring racism leads to people like you arguing that clearly racist things aren't racist if you ignore the context in which they exist. This in turn allows the offensive behavior to persist. Another way to say it might be:

quote:

Racists make race real, and they should be avoided and ostracized.

Right now, what you're doing isn't ostracizing and avoiding racists, it's defending and apologizing for them.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

baquerd posted:

What racist behavior am I defending/apologizing for?

baquerd posted:

Well, that's pretty obtuse to assume that urban means black.

baquerd posted:

America is based on coded racism, sure, but I suggest we be real going forwards.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

rchandra posted:

Is this really the case with no identifying information? "I have a sick patient" or "I have a patient with a glowing green appendix".

That sort of thing seems common enough among doctors I know here, but something like "I treated the Winnie the Pooh-bah when he had heart trouble" waited until after Winnie had already publicly praised him for it.

"I have a sick patient" would probably be fine.

"My patient that we ran urgent Lupus tests on in the middle of the evening came back positive" would be more questionable.

Aside from the fact that the doctor was discussing a patient's status at dinner in sufficient detail that she would think there was an actual reason behind a diagnosis.

Real STDH: it's never Lupus.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Or rather it does happen sometimes, but only in captive miserable wolves taken from different family groups.

Yeah, it's more or less like watching how prison inmates interact and building an entire theory of human behavior based only on that.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It is the least bullshit part of the story, I admit, but the whole thing is a stupid "what if Supernatural was real guyz" story so I don't believe any of it, even the somewhat normal parts.

Maybe, JUST MAYBE, it's a story about a driver with a sense of humor, and the guy told the story in a joking way.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Samizdata posted:

You know, upon reading a quote of this, all you are doing is complaining about established themes no real film can do without. How would you have ended Wonder Woman then? Without, you know, killing the opponent that the character has been told is the source of all evil all of her life on Themascyra.

I know this is from last page, but whatever.

They could have ended Wonder Woman by having her realize that killing one entity won't end war and deciding to save the people she can instead of trying to be an agent of retribution. Like if, say, they made it so that she had to leave Ares behind to go save her squad buddies or something. You know, something that meshes with the point of the movie rather than saying that war is part of human nature, but then having WWI end when she kills Ares.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Having WW cut down a bunch of teenage conscripts but then sparing the war criminal always seemed rear end backward to me.

"I believe in love"
*squish*

E: "Tanks for the memories"

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

killing ares stops a singular war but it doesn't stop war, every line about the great war ending is uttered under the shadow that we the audience call that same war 'world war 1' for a reason

That it stops the singular war is the problem. They just got through saying that he wasn't using his god powers to do anything other than whisper in the ears of a few key people, that humanities inherent bloodlust was all that was needed to turn a few ideas into a war that consumed a continent. In fact this is his whole point in the fight, that Diana is fighting to protect unworthy men from him, when all he did was let them kill each other. But then he dies, and suddenly it's peace and laughter. As said earlier, it's not the armistice, the fight ends, the sun comes up, the Germans at the base are no longer hostile. That there are other wars outside the scope of the movie doesn't change the fact that they say one thing, then show another.

Now, as an apology for continuing on Wonder Woman chat, here is some STDH from imgur:

quote:

Man (mid 30’s) and built like Shrek comes in to watch a football match, he has a few bottles of cider and I give him a game of pool saying as there is only 3 or 4 people in. He beat me at pool and we had a laugh about it, then another regular comes in and asks loudly if I wanted to play him, I agreed and halfway through the game “Shrek” comes in and tells me to pour his drink down the sink... I find it a little weird but so are most of our customers so I indulge him. Drink goes down the sink, “now give me my money back” I started laughing at first, obviously thinking he was joking... before refusing and asking why he didn’t want his drink... turned out that he had decided he was “holding the pool table” because he won the last game. That’s not how it works in this particular pub but some do this, so I told him if he thought that he could have said before I started playing the other customer as he clearly heard me being asked. He tells me to give him the money for the drink back or he’ll phone the police... at this point I find it so ridiculous that I tell him to go ahead. I return to the pool room and continue playing. I then overhear him on the phone saying “you will send a car round! Or else I’m gona end up kicking this guys oval office in!” I head back round to the main bar and tell him to leave, and that he’ll be “kicking no-ones oval office in” he tells me to come outside saying I think I’m a big man (I’m 23 and 5’4) this guys was around 6’1 so I tell him that If im going outside the pool cues coming with me, he then mumbled some unrecognisable poo poo then left in a mood.

There are more:
https://imgur.com/gallery/PopQE

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Zelder posted:

Man this is the quintessential stupid rear end in a top hat post

The person "defending" it even acknowledged all that!

Who are you talking about, the one who said Americans can't tell what a fat person is, or the person who said that the only reason someone would say it's not good for an individual is because that person is a fat tubbo who can't accept reality?

Let me be clear, I mostly agree with Haifisch. BMI is accurate enough for a quick estimate, and that people who are in unique situations that invalidate it are already aware of that fact. But let's not pretend that this one wasn't assholes all around.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Arivia posted:

That's the quote at the end of the fourth paragraph, just with some random senseless slang thrown in (Canadians don't talk like that!)

The point is he skipped the setup for that too, just jumped straight to the insult. As is, it's just a random thing to say instead of following from something else.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Jurgan posted:

Could someone PM me the STDH manual? I never got a copy and I want to avoid breaking the rules again.
You could always take a glance at the OP if you're confused:

quote:

However, there are some thing which resemble STDH but don't belong here, namely:

Jokes/Green Text Messages I know we're goons, but let's at least pretend we've been outside a couple of times, mmmkay?

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

bike tory posted:

The story says that they hide Dostoevsky underneath their textbooks though. The professor doesn't think they're reading Dostoevsky. What were they actually reading? The story seems to suggest it was their textbooks.

They said they were sneaking Dostoevsky in class, like if they were sneaking a snack. That's why they get all smug about what they were reading at the end, like it's ok to ignore your teacher if it's Jordan B. Peterson's favorite author.

I think you're getting tripped up by them saying they were hiding it under their textbook. Presumably they meant they were doing the classic hiding your book inside the book you want to pretend your reading thing. Alternatively for comedy, they set the textbook up like a DM screen and were shocked when the teacher wasn't fooled by that.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Something must have happened, because he mentions his kid being upset he used a bad word and didn't use any in his version. And he sounds exactly like the kind of person who would cuss in front of his kids and also slap them if they repeated the words they just heard.

He didn't use profanity because it's STDH, but in the story he says "It's loving stupid" the people are allowed to eat without their masks on. Which, ironically, yeah he's right, people shouldn't be eating in restaurants even if they are cleaning them thoroughly between each use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You couldn't get me to wear pants.

Is that why you shat Timo's pants?