Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
no QTEs. I dont know if Platinum decided to finally get rid of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Here is a random picture from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucket-wheel_excavator#/media/File:Bucket_wheel_excavator_in_Ferropolis.jpg

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
This game is really good

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I was anticipating a lot from this game, and it's now exceeding persona 5 as my GOTY (or last year) now that I'm 15 hours into this game.

I would strongly recommend that everybody play this.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I have the Kami ni nare/become as gods chant song stuck in my head today. It's way more catchy in Japanese than English.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Jack Trades posted:

Good, short primer on the Nier story.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that reading a 10 minute video on Nier's story isn't particularly helpful in understanding the Automata plot.

In fact, it's probably more useful to read Yoko Taro's stageplay instead.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Finished the game for real. What an amazing Yoko Taro adventure.

Blattdorf posted:

Yoko Taro has entertained me over the years through Dark Id's LPs for free. He can have all my 60 euros if it comes to that.

For one reason or another, I strongly do not recommend watching an LP of this game before you've played it.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

arisu posted:

I killed a lot of the guys at the amusement park the first time I went, until I got to machine village. I couldn't bring myself to kill them anymore after that :(

I killed nobody even when 9S told me to because this is a Yoko Taro game

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Bugblatter posted:

This is no joke one of the biggest things ruining the game for me right now. Normal is boring. Hard is absurdly punishing.

I bought two open-world post apocalyptic games this month. One I expected to have incredible combat mechanics, a fascinating game world, interesting side quests with well designed combat encounters, and a well tuned challenge. The other I expected to have some fairly casual combat, probably a bit of jank, and generic open-world quests, but hoped the interesting setting would make up for it.

I was exactly right, I just got which would be which backwards. Thank god I impulse bought HZD.

how far are you in the game?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Bugblatter posted:

Four bosses in. Does it get dramatically better? I'm gonna stick around for the music and plot weirdness, but right now I'm not a fan of it as a game. I knew the overworld would be less Platinumy but expected the dungeons to be on par with the demo... feeling a bit misled.

It's especially frustrating because Hard on the demo was tuned just right. In the final build everything is too lethal to for me, at least on a first run... and Normal is what I would imagine Very Easy would be. Neither are fun. I'm either sleepwalking to story moments or tearing my hair out.

Yes. But you'll (minor spoilers) get an email early on that gives you the coordinates for where your sword washed up.

You're still in the tutorial.

fadam posted:

Just beat the first ending of Nier. I'm sitting through the credits right now. The second playthrough is for sure worth it? How different is it?

You're still in the tutorial.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Mordiceius posted:

So just starting this game and knowing nothing, I have one theory - Im guessing the name 2B is a play on "To be, or not to be" and a bunch of the story is her grappling with what it means to be human and can robots and androids be human but that seems too simple.

that seems too simple.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

redreader posted:

Yesterday, I died in the prologue on normal then stopped playing for the night when I saw that it restarted the entire level, lol. So: Is there any penalty for putting difficulty on like, very easy or easy for the prologue then putting it back to normal after the game can save?

Absolutely none

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Lakbay posted:

I'm going to disappointed if there's no batshit insane reason in the narrative later in the game that explains the lack of auto-saves

From a talk at the Nier Square Enix Cafe in Akihabara a day and half ago:

Q: What was your reason for not implementing Auto Save?
Yoko Taro: When Nier came out, it originally got extremely bad reviews with many people saying that save points were old and outdated, and that made me really want to put save points in Nier Automata. In fact, Taura strongly recommended that we use Auto Save, but I refused.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Other Questions:

Q: Are you going to release an Adam and Eve dakimakura?

Yoko Taro: Seriously whoever asked that question please raise your hand.
Yosuke Saito: Nobody's going to raise their hand.
Takahisa Taura: They just did.
Yoko Taro: It's a woman. We'll no poo poo. If it was a dude then... we'll I guess it would mean that they had some passion burning inside
Yosuke Saito: No but really, you'd buy it? Really? Really?
Yoko Taro: (listening to audience) "I'm sure somebody would be interested."
Yosuke Saito: "Wait what? So you'd only say yes to Adam but no to Eve?"

Q: How many resources were spent on 2B's butt?

Taura: Well, there is a modeller in Platinum who is known as Matsudaira, who has an obsession with the shape of butts. In particular, he wanted the butts in Nier Automata to be depicted more beautifully than the butt of a painting of Yoshida Keiko, and...
Yoko Taro: Actually, let me explain in detail. When I initially proposed the design of 2B to Taura, 2B had pretty large boobs. However, Taura strongly objected because he has a preference for small boobs (Taura: that's personal information!). Then, when I talked to Matsudaira, he had strong opinions on butts. Basically, Taura became the bobb representative and Matsudaira became the butt representative, and that's how we now have 2B.

Q: Are there any gimmicks that ultimately ended up being rejected by SQEX?

Yosuke Saito: I do want to speak of one. There is a message in the game that involves me being caught with a speed violation. Let me spoil it. The person who was originally ticketed was the CEO of Square Enix, but he got really mad at me so we had to change it to me instead.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The Japanese is better if you understand Japanese, otherwise the English is better. Suck it.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Caution major spoilers.

How many of you realized that Emil's shopping theme has the exact same melody notes as the Emil despair theme?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Just a warning yall be careful about spoilers, many of you are accidentally not marking things which probably are *actually* pretty significant spoilers.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Bugblatter posted:

Like, does the Yoko have any respect for my time?

No he doesn't, and nor does anyone else. You've clearly hated this game already, while many other people enjoy it. Just stop playing and go post in another thread.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Alder posted:

About Route C Where did the Logic Virus come from again? Not sure if they explained it in the story or I was just too tired to recall. I just rmb everyone connected to the network were infected except for 2A.

Also what's up with the factory priests and believers all jumping into the lava? Did they stop finding meaning in life w/o their King?

What was the point of the machine's most precious thing? If Adam didn't want to die clearly he shouldn't have attacked 2B. Also why where the machines still RP as brothers even after I killed Adam and Eve?

There's so many parts I just don't understand :v:

The logic virus is the machine network taking control of machines in a particular area specifically to further the cause of machines specifically, ie. evolution. The network is an aggregation of concepts and ideas that lead to said evolution, hence leading to a complex mimicking of 'human' emotions and existentialism seen in robots.

The point of the machine's most precious thing is to show that (1) machines can develop sentience, but also (2) to get you to question what sentience really means. It's clear that robotic sentience is very different from human sentience.

Adam and Eve never truly died, as their emotions and reactions are still tied to the network.

Seriously, whats not to understand about the plot :sarcasm:

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

HellCopter posted:

Having beaten the entire game, 2B's monologue at the beginning of the game doesn't make any sense. What's this about killing god? 2B doesn't show that much conviction about anything for the rest of the game either.

It does make sense, but is very philosophical. Existentialism as Sartre posits does not believe in the existence of god. Nietszche believes in "killing god", which doesn't mean exactly what you would think at first sight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_is_dead

The repeat of the opening in the last statements by pod is just reaffirmation that the answer is in our will to determine.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Nina posted:

It tried to ape the Ending D of Nier but didn't have any of the same emotional incentive for actually deleting your save. A lot of plot points were left hanging and it just doesn't match any of the endings of Taro's previous games in my opinion.

Very few of the plot points were actually left hanging. You either missed X or Y from playing the game too fast, or need to think a bit more carefully :)

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
major major spoilers

I didn't really feel anything (except love for the game) up until the second Emil boss fight. But then that wrecked me. And it confirmed exactly what I thought was the case with A2 too :(

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

MagicBoots posted:

You know how a bunch of JRPGs end with the power of friendship and all your allies giving you inspirational speeches? Same thing except they are real people now :3:

I don't really like Ending E. It's not a happy ending. To be honest, ending C is probably Yoko Taro's happy ending. Although you can also claim that ending D is pretty happy as well.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

alcharagia posted:

:confused: How do you figure?

Humanity and society is still trapped in a gigantic existential nightmare. The main two characters never really accomplished their personal goals and lie in repeat of similar follies in society.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
FUUUCCK

So you know how you erase Pascal's memory in the third run of the game? If you do so, then you'll find him selling all of the children's parts back at his camp when you next see him.

One of the parts you can buy are a weapon, "Machine Heads".

But... the weapon story:

I LACK PARTS
I AM USELESS
MY EXISTENCE IS UNNECESSARY
I TRIED I TRIED SO HARD MOMMY

... drat...

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Archenteron posted:

Yoko Taro apparently tweeted the following (a non-babelfish translation courtesy of Reddit) ""I'm constantly taken aback by Automata's speed as of late. It didn't even take 2-3 months and Automata is already about to achieve what took the previous Nier 7 years, from new goods development to various events. I am incredibly thankful to everyone who buys the game, but I sincerely hope you don't overdo it and keep things within reason.""

Yoko made a good-selling game and doesn't know how to handle it :kimchi:

I'll actually translate this for you:

Recently, I'm bewildered by the speed of Nier. What has taken the previous work 7 years to accomplish in terms of progression of goods and events, Nier Automata has done so in a period of just 2-3 months. I can only thank all of our customers, but I sincerely can only reasonably hope that you enjoy the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

RoadCrewWorker posted:

There's no 8bit version of the Copied City theme is there

:(

There is, of the boss theme only