Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There is definitely at least one hub connecting the levels, it's an overgrown city area, complete with all-important boar drifting. Check out any of the JP live streams of the game rehosted on youtube, they all mess around in it.

The demo doesn't change enemy types, but the final boss does pick up some new moves on hard.

The best excuse to replay the demo though is ditch the swords and beat all the robots to death with your fists, the unarmed move set is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I like in all the interviews where the platinum games people claim they loved nier and always wanted to work on a nier sequel. It's either an absurd laughable baldfaced lie or yet another example of Yoko Taro's un loving real luck, and I'll never know which

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I can't cite a source right now but I recall a claim based on some secondary material that Nier 1's shenanigans botched the reunification process in Japan and all the gestalts and replicants there died, but it went on successfully elsewhere hence there being true humans again.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

mrfishstick posted:

About a half hour worth of Open World Gameplay with the English Dub and English commentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17V2lxzlTRE

I only skimmed through it but they showed off the death system which seems pretty bonkers

When you die your old body is dropped in the world similar to a souls game and you are uploaded into a new body but can go find your old boy and either salvage it for parts or attempt to repair it and it'll become an ally for some length of time. A cool twist on the souls system it looks like

I got a big poo poo eating grin at the robots wearing the masks of the desert city people, bring on the plot twists bring on the suffering :unsmigghh:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Game is pretty jank on a normal PS4. In the first ~8 hours I've had two crashes, one infinite load screen, and I had to replay the entire intro due to the preload bug. This in addition to a number of buggy quests and frame flashing, all of which were fixable with a game restart at least. Advise saving at every opportunity to anyone setting out.

That said it's very fun and good otherwise. Yoko Taro is pretty much going to make a Yoko Taro game, just with solid Platinum combat instead of hot trash, right down to the inane side quests and grinding weapon upgrade materials and story of pure suffering. Wouldn't have it any other way :unsmigghh:

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 24, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Tomie knows me posted:

Hah, my game just softlocked after finishing the factory for the second time and returning to the resistance camp. Hadn't gotten to save after that boss. Cool! Anyone else get one of these?

Yeah I had a soft lock in the same location. As I've said I love this game dearly but it could have used a few more weeks of polish. I was repeatedly killed by a random flying kamikaze bot while locked in a side quest cutscene earlier :cool:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

So did anybody beat this game yet? Or is it very long?

I beat it last night, in terms of getting all the "main" endings. I still have 4 sidequests to do and a lot of miscellany to clean up to the extent that I feel like it. I think I was fairly completionist overall though and I clocked in at about 35 hours. This was on normal difficulty.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

dazat posted:

I also have a back story-related question: I may have missed it, but did the game say where the true androids, the ones who engineered the YoRHa system in order to boost morale, live? On other space satellites?

Major spoilers time: My reading is that there never were any true androids. The Yorha system was engineered by the machines to keep the androids fighting to the best of their ability, so the machines could keep evolving from the fighting.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think there were real androids at some-point as, for example, Devola and Popola units predate the machine war(s), but eventually, the machine lifeforms and YoRHa were essentially exactly the same and had the same goals and objectives.

I just got the platinum the legit way without buying any trophies and it was excellent fun. I think I'll start up a new save pretty soon.

Yeah 'never' was a bad way to phrase it. Around the timeframe of project yorha I should have said. In other words I agree w/ you

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

fadam posted:

Is there a really OP weapon or spell config you guys would recommend for speeding through Nier? The game isn't very hard but I'd like to optimize things I guess.

If you're talking about the first game, I think the common consensus is that spears are overwhelmingly more powerful than other weapon options once you get access to them.

It's the same in automata too :ssh:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They're good in general but they really shine when you play as 9S, the spear toss he gets is completely ridic

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

How does Nier: Autobutta stack up to MGR when it comes to game length, enemy/level variety and boss count?

It is very much more of an ARPG than a character action game, I think if you go in expecting something comparable to MGR you might be disappointed.

Automata is far far longer and has far more enemies and bosses, but they aren't nearly at the level of polish and intricacy and spectacle MGR has. They were a bit deceptive about this with the demo, which is the most MGR-like part of the game by a mile.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Artelier posted:

I finished ending A and never found any trader that sold combat bracers. If I was supposed to have already found the trader, spoil me who/where it is.

Emil sometimes sells 2 fist weapons. IIRC you'll get others pretty quickly in the course of route B if you explore thoroughly.

The delicious irony is that 9S's moveset with them is pretty horrible anyway :laugh:

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 9, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm I gonna need to collect all the weapons for endings C and D by the way?

I'm kinda used to it but I'm gonna feel silly buyin all these weapons if I don't actually need to.

No, the only thing locked behind the level 4 all weapons grind this time is an optional superboss.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Marogareh posted:

So in route B can anyone tell me how to hijack bots?. I've done it once and only once and the rest of the time they always explode.

If you hack a bot before combat has started and it's become aggressive you get more options, namely conversion and direct control. The game doesn't explain it for poo poo, it took me most of route B to figure it out.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Marogareh posted:

Guess I got the timing wrong because I've tried that a few times and no dice. I'll see if I can do it from a mile away next time.

It's pretty spotty yeah. I think what they had in mind was you would start by hacking a lovely nonaggressive bot or something and use that to get closer to the big ones.

In practice why bother because between minigame spam and spear throw spam 9S is an untouchable golden god

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 9, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

9S is an extremely powerful boy to be sure

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Oh man grinding enemy data is miserable. A nice taste of the menial flavor of Yoko Taro misery, mmm haha mmm

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Trick Question posted:

Man, just beat it. Endings a-e, and a spattering of others. Game good.

I'm a little bit lost on where to start with post-game stuff, though. Is it reasonable to find all the quests/weapons/endings without looking up a guide online?

Quests yes, the other stuff no in my opinion. There are a lot of secrets that would be unreasonable for the average person to find. For weapons, for non-spoilery examples one requires you to fish it up in a random location with no hint, one requires you to find it via scanning in a random location with no hint and some of the joke endings are extremely obscure

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This game's story is really good, and it touches on a whole variety of themes in really interesting ways. Even moreso than its predecessor, I think Nier:Automata will be a game that really explores a wide range of very deep human emotions and concepts. Full game spoilers from here on out:

The fact that the war between the androids and machines is blatantly pointless is a clear statement on Taro's overall sentiments towards war and violence. There is no way for this war to ever be won by anybody, and at the point where the game begins the only people invested in maintaining the battle are the Commander and the leaders of the Machine Network. Average Machines, and an increasing amount of disconnected machines, do not care about the war and understand it even less than the androids do.

I think it's very interesting that the alien-built machines want to try and imitate humans, not their alien masters. In fact, there's barely any evidence of alien culture in the design or behavior of the machine lifeforms, to the point where had we not seen actual dead aliens in an alien spaceship, I'd be truly skeptical that there even WERE aliens. The alien invasion seems to be a very overt red herring, but I can't help but feel like there's a larger message being made here. Humanity going extinct is blamed on Devola and Popola, even though I had thought it was Grimoire Weiss's failure to merge with his counterpart that was the actual Big gently caress Up in Nier 1. Still, if the stated canon is the canon to be taken to heart, you can argue that both the machines and the androids inevitably killed their creators.

It ties in with the opening statement about killing God. If you look at life and death as a problem of being perpetually trapped in a bleak and pointless world, then the presence of a supreme being who oversees that, your creator, would be an intolerable offense. It's a kind of Buddhist concept gone to a murderous degree. Both the machines and the androids actually killed their god, and the result is them both living aimless lives whose only meaning seems to come from conflict. Even though we see that peace rejectinand harmony can function, ultimately both sides choose war and die for it.

It seems clear that the machines are self-replicating, so even with the destruction of the Tower I have no reason to doubt that the machine race will continue to exist on Earth as its new dominant species. Interestingly, now that A2 has created a schism in the Machine Network, will that ultimately create the cycle of war and violence anew? If so, that's kind of hilarious--even without the androids, the machines are quite capable of sustaining this state of eternal war forever.

I think that's what makes Pascal such a heartbreaking figure, because he represents an eventual hope that the machines could change from within. The fact that he is ultimately betrayed by his own kind, not by androids, is significant. Also, he detests violence, but in a fiery need to protect the children of his tribe, he embraces bloodshed and actively seeks to kill, but the reward for his violence is only more death. Indeed, he may be right to blame himself: the children's last sight of their beloved Uncle Pascal was him shouting that he would smash and kill all their enemies. Their whole world has been destroyed, and the one constant source of peace in their world has gone berserk. By rejecting his principles, Pascal loses everything he had worked to build.

I think that's why it's fitting to leave him to live with it. It's a pity the game treats this as a "bad" state, since there's no scene to follow-up on that choice. I wonder if there will be a DLC in that regard?

Either way, that's just the tip of the iceburg. This game is incredible, the storytelling especially so, and it elegantly explores a variety of themes and concepts without feeling heavy-handed.

Nice comments. When the promo material for the game hammered on the futility theme over and over I thought I knew what to expect, but I really enjoyed how they continuously pulled the rug out to make the conflict just more and more mind bogglingly pointless at every turn.

In general I really admire this game's restraint compared to the first, which was of course great but really beat you over the head with the themes. They only went Full Yoko with the Pascal children sequence- other than that they show a lot of trust that the audience will pick up on how comically and cosmically horrible the situation is by showing without telling.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

fadam posted:

Spoilers for C:

When it asks you to monitor A2 or 9S does it matter what you pick/when? I've had to pick twice now and I went with A2 both times.

No, you'll see everything regardless

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you want to, you can post the pics. But if you don't want to, you don't have to

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

:ohdear:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Overall plot as I'm rolling it around in my head and trying to make sense of some of it as... I was kinda overwhelmed when I beat it. Spoilers for the whole game.

So the timeline is something along the line of this right?

Nier blows up Shadowlord and fucks everyone in the process. Gestalts and Replicants go extinct and humanity is just flat out gone minus a handful of brainscans and some DNA samples. A set of Dev and Pop androids shoot that information to the moon hoping that would somehow help keep the memory of humans alive.

Aliens see Earth and come to it for... some reason? They send machines out to clean up and the androids humanity left behind are getting wiped- Emil uses shadow clone jutsu to make like a mountain of clones to try and fight them back but ultimately fail due to once again, reasons.

Androids knowing that humanity is extinct pretty much give up.

The machines however learn about humans and become obsessed. To evolve they'd have to face conflict, so they kill their alien masters and form YorHa giving Androids purpose once again. The bunker is built and better, stronger androids are built with the sole purpose to make machines better through conflict. None of the androids know this and continue fighting the war hoping to do the non-existent humanity proud. Then the game takes place.

Anyone mind clearing up what I might of gotten wrong?

As for why Emil failed to stop the aliens, I would say it's justified with reasons in some of the optional postgame content.

I don't know that the androids ever really gave up, there was just a risk of the possibility. Other than that I think you got the main points though some of it might be a little out of order.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

lets hang out posted:

I don't think the machines made yorha. Why would they consider building androids from machine cores the more humane option? Seems more to me like androids created yorha and built in the backdoor for the machines to eventually destroy it, and the machines just played along because it worked to their benefit too.

The project yorha documents are definitely written from an android perspective, and it's androids who implemented it.

However, if there's one thing the game makes clear it's how totally and completely the androids were compromised and at the mercy of the machine AIs throughout the entire history of the conflict. The androids could have easily been destroyed at any time, and were only allowed to survive to be toyed with and used in the evolution scheme. In light of all that I think project yorha has to be something the machine AIs either deliberately designed or at least knew of and allowed to happen- I lean towards the former since it so conspicuously fits their M.O. In general I find the more or less complete absence of any higher android authority than Yorha in the game outside of oblique mentions in the documents to be really conspicuous.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 13, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Just buy the cheevo ya goof

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Trick Question posted:

Alright, I was having a bit of trouble filling out my quests, so I googled it.

I apparently managed to completely miss a mandatory one? improving communications. I just never got it.

It says it's part of the story and it's early on in the game, but it ain't in my quest log. Anyone know what's up?

Also, I'm having trouble getting a certain character to show up after I took some stuff from their house. Is that scripted, or do I just need to hope they randomly show up?

As to the last point: the progress resets if you jump chapters. You need to talk to emil to unlock his house, interact with the mask, go back up and talk to him again, then go back down and hack the chest and it should trigger him when you try to leave

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Trick Question posted:

I get that. I just can't get him to spawn after I interact with the mask, after combing the ruined city and leaving to reset it several times. If I go to another chapter he shows up in, I can easily get him to spawn up to that point.

Ah, I see, that is weird. This is a total shot in the dark, but maybe try it at a different chapter in the plot? I can verify I was able to do all that content in chapter 7-1 as 9S.

fadam posted:

Ok, I just got Ending E. Are the rest of the endings (basically F-Z) just the jokey ones for loving around?

Yes

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

fadam posted:

EDIT: Minor spoilers for each playthrough Is there any way to get into the Bunker the Apologetic Machine is guarding in the desert? Whats in there?

There are actually three such bunkers, there's also one in the forest and one in the sunken city. No one has found any use for any of them and as far as anyone can tell it's either a yoko taro troll or possibly a DLC hook

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

InnercityGriot posted:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/interview-yoko-taro-nier-automata/

Spoilery interview with Taro, don't read it unless you've beaten the game. It's pretty good, you really get an idea of his process for this stuff and mindset in general.

Oh man that's so good, thanks for linking it. When he said he goes drinking with Toyama Ueda and Kamiya I just had to shake my drat head and think of how any human could be more based

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

dazat posted:

I got my copy of the World Guide today, I don't know how different it is from the Black Box art book but it's loaded with beautiful art, enemy/location rundowns etc, plus the two bonus short stories I'll translate sometime soon.

In the meantime, I thought you all might be interested in the official heights and weights of the Automata cast:
2B = 5'6 (including heels) 328lb
9S = 5'2 286lb
6O/21O = 5'5 (including heels) 319lb
Commander = 5'8 (including headdress) 368lb
Pods = 2'5 79lb
Anemone = 5'8 354lb
Devola = 5'8 350lb
Popola = 5'8 357lb
Pascal = 8'2 793lb
A2 = 5'6 (including heels) 306lb
Emil = Varies
Adam/Eve = 6'2 502lb

(clears throat, approaches podium in professional manner, speaking in deep tone of voice) Thicker.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

I started playing yesterday and the Operator told me about what I guess is fast travel between save points, and that it wasn't ready yet. Should I rush the main story until I get it? Related, is there a point of no return for side quests?

If you absolutely want to minimize dead time you can definitely wait on sidequests until you get fast travel.

There is, as far as I know, only one thing in the game that can be permanently missed and it's an obscure optional postgame issue. Sidequests do get locked due to story progression, but you'll get opportunities to do them eventually (although eventually might be quite a long time).

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Corte posted:

I have completed route C and do I need to start the game again to gain access to anything else or can it all be done through chapter select?

The latter

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

verbal enema posted:

Uhhh I just remember I had an escort quest go south in Route B.

Did I do it right by not fully completing it before I went into Route C?

It's not a big deal, you can relax about it

Bad Seafood posted:

Please tell me there is a way to make hacking easier, barring lowering the difficulty - or at least tell me there's some way to bolster the amount of hits I can take.

There isn't, good luck to you

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Anyone know what's up with these two quest markers?

http://i.imgur.com/UdjEFMr.png
http://i.imgur.com/eCv09DK.png

Second one is the same place as the Phoenix Dagger, first is the building you land on.

1. Check the lower floors, I believe it's floor 3 or 4 iirc.
2. Try approaching the marker from the forest.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have Emil story questions that I kinda forgot about until now.

Why was he in a robot anyway? Like... is he the only one in one of em? He didn't even know why he was in there himself and that detail is just kind of confusing me in hindsight.

Also isn't he and his clone army TECHNICALLY human? I mean dudes a skeleton ball so maybe it's hard to argue that with the machines/androids but I find it kind of funny that he's the thing androids are trying to protect.

As to the former, I think that's just something they put in because it would be funny and own, and I kinda don't blame them since it was funny and owned.

As to the latter (humongo spoilers), Emil and the red girls are the two closest things to humans left in the setting and the androids end up killing off both of them, so yeah great work guys, glory to mankind

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I just saw in some fanart for 2b that there are fist weapons in this game? Can you get some fist weapons reasonably fast or is it locked behind a bunch of poo poo?

You can start finding them in the back half or so of playthrough A if you explore thoroughly, so like maybe 1/3 through the whole game or so? That said they're disproportionately handed out later overall

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

ok I did this on accident but for real tho, how do you get down. I tried every single button, including holding circle since you get on normal mounts like that, and nothing

That owns

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Drakengard and Whole Game (Automata) spoilers

So I forgot most of Drakengard but recently went back and refreshed myself just for kicks and now I'm super loving confused in Automata because of all the callbacks.

I've counted
Ending names: Flowers for a Broken Machine, Flowers for a Broken Spirit
Manah's watcher voice turning into that of a mans. The two girls in red do the same thing.
Watcher!Manah's stupid la la la thing comes back with the Emil copies doing the same thing.

Is the game trying to imply something here? Or is it just call backs.

IMO there's nothing there, it's just reaching. In the grand drakengard and nier tradition any significant developments on the larger story front will come in tie-in novels, art books, short stories, mangas, doujins, drama CDs, etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

XavierGenisi posted:

I tried going up against the optional boss Emil, in the cave next to the city crater and holy hell I got my rear end beat. I guess I expected to do more than barely any damage with my melee attack, and zero damage with my fully upgraded laser pod, but I guess that's what I get going into the fight at level 65. What's the best suggestion for getting a ton of EXP? I'm gonna certainly mess with my chips, but I figure it'd be best to actually get close to level 99 to actually have a decent fight on my hands.

There's an extremely fast cheesy way to grind up to level 99 there's a robot statue you can hack at the center of the theme park plaza who gives at least 2-3 levels each time he dies all the way up to 99. It can only be hacked while you're remote controlling one of the smaller robots for some reason. That said if you want the postgame content to be any challenge at all on normal stop in the 80s or so, at 99 I found it all completely trivial