Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The deferred maintenance on mom's Avalon has come to a head. It's pissing oil like a motherfucker (timing belt is absolutely soaked because of it), the chucklefucks who did the timing belt reused the original drive belts as well. The struts have all but ceased to exist, and the breaking point finally hit - the ac needs about a pound of refrigerant a week at this point. Finally shot some dye into it, and it turns out the condenser is cracked.

Somehow, even with having 3 warehouses in the mix, Rockauto comes out about $60 cheaper than Amazon.

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

At least the struts have a $125 mail-in rebate...

Dagen H posted:

Aaaaaaand the rearend is out on #1 Son's Silverado. gently caress May already.

And CSB didn't even go near it!

literally a fish posted:

my grandma passed away this morning :smith:

It's okay, though. She'd been in a nursing home for two years slowly withering away thanks to dementia / alzheimers / one stroke after another... I said my goodbyes last year.

It's better this way. No machines, no pain. We reckon the flu vaccine was the final domino.

:glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

There is apparently a Valhalla Rd in Ft Worth. :stare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress Blue Cross so loving hard. They were supposed to have this poo poo with my health insurance fixed by "Thursday, Friday at the latest". When that didn't happen, I sent them an email through the member website. Nothing aggressive, just "Can you please tell me what's going on? I have a doctor's appointment coming up next week, and his office is unable to verify coverage."

Got an email today saying I had a message on their member website. I can login, but just get a screen saying "This portlet is disabled", no matter what computer or device I use. When I try to call their 24/7 "technical support" line, as soon as I put in my member number I get redirected to a "we're closed, call back during the day" recording. Making it more fun, I got a loving dozen insurance ID cards in the mail today.

Apparently this is what I pay $300+ a month for.

Looks like I just added another notch to the state's list of complaints against BCBS. :fuckoff:

meatpimp posted:

Student skipped days totaling 6 out of 14 weeks so far. Skipped several major assignments. When he/she figured out that they were completely hosed in the class, pulled out the "I have ADD" card and is tying to unfuck themselves.

Not going to happen. He/she actively made choices over the course of the semester. There are consequences for those choices. In this case? The consequence is a big ol' F. You cannot make up the in-class lectures and material provided in them, by "getting an incomplete." I'll teach the same class next semester, feel free to re-register next semester, slacker.

:cripes:

Every college I've ever attended will let you re-take the class once and replace the grade entirely (at UNT you had to submit a request in writing to records to get it done, but it was still very doable), so it's like you never even failed the class the first time. Except for financial aid purposes anyway.

That's how I took my GPA from <0.5 to 3.3 over about 2 years. The only reason it wasn't higher at the end is some of the classes were no longer offered.

I could see an incomplete if, say, he had a sick family member and had to care for them - but only if they stayed in touch. And they should have dropped that class a long time ago anyway. I'm ADD as gently caress, previously medicated. Unmedicated, I pulled off two 4.0 semesters back to back (12 hours each term), and the others were all 3.5 or above (except for the semester my grandmother passed, I think I finished with a 1.9 - took a bullshit mayterm class and nailed a 4.0 in it to get off of academic probation). ADD isn't a viable excuse once you're in college.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Cat chat - I dont care who you are, if you declaw a cat you are a flaming cuntrocket that needs to die in a dumpster fire. God Almighty, that sends cats insane

What if you adopt a cat that's already declawed? :ohdear:

I would never declaw a cat, but mine was sans front claws when I got him.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My dad is pushing 70, 5'10 and 155 lbs.

He inhales every bit of food he runs across, in massive quantities, and he claims this is the most he's ever weighed. Me, on the other hand... 5'7 and 200, and I really don't eat much (nowhere near what he does, even with the :420: munchies added). I could probably toss him over my shoulder though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 3, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Been wondering what the hell happened to a friend of mine - he dropped off the face of the earth in January.

Glanced at his facebook page yesterday, noticed his sister had made a post on there saying he was alive and to contact her if anyone wanted to know what was going on. So I did that.

I'm both relieved and pissed off. Relieved because he's alive. Pissed off because the reason he dropped off the earth is because he's in state prison.... for violating his (drug-related) probation (repeatedly). He's going to be there for a year.

Dumbass. At least they have video calling, so I can call him a dumbass to his face via internet. :v:

DELIVERY STORY. Only mildly interesting. Had one today that was way, way out. The address put it in a very ritzy suburb, but it was on the far edges of that town. I felt like I was walking into a scene from Deliverance when I parked, it was that... secluded. Also the neighbor across the street having an old school bus parked in their front yard didn't help, neither did the dogs that ran out to greet me (DOGGIES! :neckbeard: one tried to get in my car with me).

Couldn't find the house from the road, eventually found the mailbox and an overgrown dirt path that wound up being a driveway.

Really nice people though, and really nice dogs.

meatpimp posted:

So it was an online class and you didn't even open the lectures? Yes, he can see that. He can probably see when you log on, how much time you spend on and what you open/use while you're on.

I know Blackboard certainly can track all of this, even right down to how long you take to compose a post in a discussion class. I've wound up becoming friends with a few of my instructors over the years, and one of them was more than happy to tell me everything Blackboard reported (he showed me some of the reporting, though it was from a completely different class at a different campus, so I didn't see any info from anybody I knew - he probably shouldn't have shown me that stuff, but meh).

This was an absolutely ancient version of Blackboard even at the time (2010), I'm sure newer versions can do much more.

CommieGIR posted:

Screen controller on my phone failed (LG G4) and then my backup Samsung Galaxy 4 failed a week later. I have no phone

I've had issues with people saying they can't hear me on phone calls (because of the call breaking up). Today my phone went full retard on me and decided it would only connect to AT&T, and mostly only their EDGE network (I've roamed onto their HSPA/HSPA+ network plenty in the past, I've been seeing HSPA pop up occasionally while roaming). Even after a restart, even after triple checking all the carrier settings. It got some percussive persuasion when I got frustrated, and LTE + T-Mobile came back for the rest of the day.

Guessing either a bad solder joint or a loose antenna connection. Either way !!!THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION!!!11!1! (actually it really is, it takes a poo poo while I'm working, and I can't call customers), so I'm going to switch back to my old phone for now. Just checked Motorola's website, it's still covered under warranty. It's a shame, I love the everything about the phone except for the whole "signal what signal" bit. What's weird is it's never flat out dropped a call, but the call quality is so bad now that unless I'm sitting still, I can't make calls anymore. Going to try flashing the radio again, but I'm pretty sure something is physically hosed on it.

iwentdoodie posted:

Has anyone else been watching Viceland since it became a channel? Because I feel like I haven't watched much else since then.

A friend of mine watches pretty much nothing else. Last time I was at her place I discovered why, a lot of their content is pretty good.

I, on the other hand, can't watch it at home, because even though I have the top of the line cable package, Viceland is not part of it. It's an extra :10bux: a month to add the bundle it's in. And since I'm likely moving in a few weeks, I can't really justify adding it right now. Or maybe I will, since I'm not on a contract and I'll probably transfer my account anyway....

e: welp just called twc, they say they're not offering viceland in North Texas... even though it shows up in the guide listings. :confused: I just get a subscription required error when I try to watch it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 4, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know what happened, but I feel like I lost a few pounds.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nm posted:

You know those are loving expensive as poo poo, right?

Seems like $9 for 30 minutes at this place? Certainly not the cheapest thing, but it's not like I'm going to be calling him every week.

KozmoNaut posted:

You shaved your back? :v:

Nah that was just my rear end crack.

The Locator posted:

The weather so far this year is really strange (lots of spikes). It's going to be back into the mid 80's for the high by Friday supposedly.

Normally we're well into the high 80s/low 90s during the day by now.

We were in the 40s the other night, and we've had highs in the low 60s a lot more frequently than normal.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also when I go outside and sweat, it actually works. Give me 100 and dry over 80 and humid.

Agreed. I know I've told this story before, but I flew out to El Paso to visit my dad in the middle of July once, and when we walked out I commented that it was a really nice day.

It was well over 100. It was in the high 80s with high humidity when I left Dallas, but there was no humidity to speak of, so it felt a lot cooler in El Paso. And swamp coolers actually work really well out there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I was finally catching up on a stack of invoices for work (all paid, but stuff hasn't been entered into QuickBooks yet). All of them are stuff that's split between work and personal, particularly toll bills.

Went through them by hand and highlighted anything related to work. Then scanned them. Finished scanning, looked at one, and... gently caress. The highlighter doesn't show up at all. Went through all of them again and circled anything work related in pen, scanned them again.

... then realized if I had scanned in B&W instead of color (or scanned as a photo instead of color document), the highlighter probably would have shown up. :doh:

Anything 100% work related I just print to PDF, but my list of tolls from the past 2.5 months is around 30 pages (and nearly $350 :fuckoff:). No easy way to separate business from personal on those, I have to go through every page and look at the date/time and see if I was working at that time.

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah we were both still learning about the phone, you have to enable find my phone to find your phone. I know that now, if we replace it or get lucky with lost and found, we'll set that up first thing.

No insurance on it? :sigh: I know the carrier insurance is expensive as hell, but SquareTrade usually has pretty reasonable options. Definitely report it stolen ASAP to the carrier and Apple if you haven't already, at least that way they can block the IMEI and prevent it from being activated again. They should be able to unblock it if it turns up, but it'll need a new SIM card.

MustardFacial posted:

"why don't I just buy a minivan and gut it from the drivers seat back?" minivans would be cheap, just as spacious as a regular van (once the seats, carpet, and plastic poo poo is removed), easily as powerful, softer suspension would mean I can't carry heavier loads but that's not a problem until it's a problem. But best of all, it is inconspicuous.

I see a ton of older minivans being used by contractors. And yeah, they're incredibly cheap used, even nice ones - they don't hold their value worth a poo poo compared to most cars. Payload is still usually upward of half a ton, which isn't quite what you'd get with, say, a Chevy Express 1500, but the Caravan for example has a payload capacity of 1500 lbs since at least 2008 (only using that as an example because it was the easiest to find info on).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 5, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The saga with Blue Cross Blue Shield continues. They still refuse to tell my doctor that he is indeed my doctor - they'll tell him I'm insured, but they also tell him I've never chosen a doctor. Since I'm on a HMO, this is a Bad Thing. My doctor's appointment is in 8 hours. I'll have to pay their walk-in cash price ($140) instead of their contracted price ($90ish). They literally laughed when I asked how much my blood work would cost at the cash rate, since my insurance is refusing to do the insurance bit. The insurance rate is about $25. Apparently it's several hundred without insurance.

I have loving insurance. I have insurance that covers drat near anything you can think of, with a really loving low deductible. But since it's an HMO and I'm apparently "affected by a known issue with no known ETA for resolution", they won't authorize poo poo unless it's in an emergency room setting. So whenever they finally fix their "I.T. issue that's affecting many", I'll have to submit the claims myself. And wait for reimbursement. Then go chase my doctor's office staff for the difference between the contracted rate and the cash rate. They also told me that they will not pay for any referrals unless they were already on file. So no blood work for me unless I want to pay several hundred bucks (contracted rate is something silly like $25). :awesome:

e: they've sent me 13 loving ID cards in the past few days as some sort of hosed up sick joke. I'm sure there's going to be another stack of them spilling out of my mailbox today.

88h88 posted:

I have two copies on blu ray yet don't own a blu ray player... Weird but true. Should probably fix that.

I don't own a Blu Ray player either. Or a (working) DVD player, unless you count the extremely dusty DVD-RW in my PC. Now that Blu Ray drives are relatively cheap, I'll probably toss one in my PC eventually, but it sounds like it may be a bit of a PITA to play back BR content on a PC.

I do have a VCR though! :cool:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 5, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got out to look at apartments today. Well, apartment. There's one complex that caught my eye a couple of weeks ago, I finally made an appointment to go tour the property.

Huge property, right on the lake, right on the highway (though all of the apartments with the floorplan I want are in the back, so not much highway noise), seems to be well maintained. Reasonable price, and a bit closer to work. The only downside is the place was built in 1982, but it seems pretty solid. The unit I'm going for is on a middle floor.

Manager and I talked in detail about my work and financial+credit situation. She asked what I made a month, I told her, showed her the deposits from Amazon. She said she should be able to make that work without a cosigner, my deposit may wind up being a little higher because of my credit (but the deposit maxes out at $300), and she'll split up the pet deposit across a couple of months. And they're fine with smaller aquariums - I have a 20 gallon.

Put in the application today, she said I should hear from her tomorrow. Target move-in will be mid-June, which gives me enough time to hunt down a washer, dryer, and some furniture (I got rid of almost all of my furniture years ago). I have a large storage room that I can put everything in until move-in day.

Also, several cities + 1 county away from any family. gently caress yes.

KozmoNaut posted:

The difference from my S4 Mini to my new Moto X is huge.

Even the difference between the 2014 and 2015 versions of the Moto X is massive. Not only the physical difference (2015 is a bit bigger), but the screen, camera, and processor are all much better on the 2015.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 6, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Magnus Praeda posted:

That looks like a nice apartment. Good luck!

Meanwhile, I just signed the closing disclosure and have final walkthrough tomorrow after work. Closing on Monday. So... this:

The floorplan is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, except for the fireplace (I'd prefer not to have one, I'd rather have the extra space - and I've seen too many fires caused by apartments not maintaining them)

My wishlist was basically this:
Full size washer/dryer connections (must have for me)
Dishwasher
Cable internet or fiber internet available (this has both)
Easy access to a major highway (this is on the highway, but the unit I'll likely wind up in is at the back of the property - and being a 800+ unit property, that's really far back)
Built after 1980 (phase 1 of this property went up in 1982) or before 1960
Relatively open floorplan
Breakfast bar
Decent size patio
Either 700+ sq ft for a 1 bedroom, or 500+ sq ft if it was a studio
Not in the ghetto of the ghetto
Middle floor - ground floor gets more insects and a higher chance of burglary, top floor is a bitch to keep cool in the summer - the one I'm supposed to get is on the 2nd floor of a 3 story
NO loving RESERVED PARKING OR REQUIRED VISITOR PARKING PASSES OR CONSTANT loving TOWING PARKING LOT NAZIS GODDAMNIT, JUST PUT IN ENOUGH PARKING TO BEGIN WITH GODDAMNIT
Reasonable-to-me rent - this is right at $1/sq ft, which is right at what I wanted to spend. That amount can put you in some lovely areas depending what city you want to live in. This is a decent area - not fancy, but decently middle class, and close to the lake.
Gated parking would have been nice, but meh, it's just security theater anyway.

The downsides to this place... a tornado hit the area in December, and there's still a lot of damage nearby. This property got spared aside from a bunch of broken windows, but across the highway is a now-empty strip center that's missing all of its windows and much of its roof. A sister property to this one was damaged badly enough that it's being torn down. The previous management company and owners are caught up in a massive lawsuit over how they handled everything in the days after the storm.

Congrats on your newly-purchased money pit! :v: Seriously though I'd much prefer to own, but I'm not in a financial position to do so right now, and I don't even know if I'm going to stay in the area long-term

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Eh, with the "dining area" being such a small space, and basically being part of the living room, I was going to just get a tiny breakfast table and 2 chairs. I can't imagine properly entertaining 8 people in this space.

Unless it's just a bunch of people hanging out and getting drunk and :2bong:. In which case there's plenty of floor space!

It's actually somewhat similar to my last apartment, just bigger. My last apartment was 601 sq ft (and apparently rents for nearly $900/month now, what the everliving gently caress?! I paid $650/mo!). The dining area wasn't part of the entrance at my old place though.

Old apartment:

I do like how the (hopefully) new place angles the fireplace though, so I won't be losing as much space to it. Also, the cable jacks are actually in a usable space, and placed such that I can wall mount the TV above the fireplace. The old apartment put the cable jack in that tiny corner between the patio door and the fireplace, with no power outlet nearby. :fuckoff:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 6, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Your rental application has been received by all parties and has been preliminarily APPROVED.. A leasing consultant will contact you shortly, or feel free to contact us.

:woop:

Talked to them a little while ago, they're getting the lease packet put together for me now. Apparently my credit is better than I thought..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh don't worry, that smell will very quickly be displaced by :420: smoke. And a lot of farts, since there's a ton of taco places around there (including one that's open 24/7).

Downside: I thought I was getting a 2nd floor unit. Turns out this one is on the 3rd (top) floor. :doh: But there's a lot of trees around the building, so hopefully electric won't be $rape$. I'll just have to figure out where the hell to go if a tornado drops by to say hello... probably the bathroom in the fitness center..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 6, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hah, that is weird.

My credit isn't great - my score is in the low 600s - but the only negative entries on it now are from old medical debt.

I may have been screwed in another month or so - my student loans come out of deferment sometime this month, which will significantly increase the minimum monthly payments being shown on my credit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The heat is exactly what I'm worried about. I like to keep the ac slightly warmer than "meat locker". There's no ceiling fans either, though I own a couple of floor-standing fans.

I've always preferred a middle floor. Bottom floor means you have a greater chance of someone breaking in, and a lot more insects. Middle floor, yeah, you get people above you, but you're also insulated against both heat and cold a bit, so you wind up with a lower electric bill. Top floor offers no protection if a tornado decides to drop by and cause trouble, that entire floor is just gonna get blown off of the building.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cage posted:

And then leave the 2nd floor intact?

Not undamaged, but generally most of the walls will still be standing on the lower level units. The top floor often just gets peeled off.

Great Beer posted:

Turning down management offers again. :toot: 10 bucks an hour to work 50 hours with no overtime isn't worth it pizza hut, especially when I average over 14 delivering.

The franchise I worked for offered shift managers $8.50 an hour. :haw:

I made that 16 years ago as a shift manager at Papa John's....

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It was pretty nice in the winter though, I never touched the thermostat and it never ran. I have to assume the American refugees on the floor below kept their thermostat jacked at "temperature of the sun."

At my first apartment, in 3 years I turned the heater on less than a dozen times. And that place didn't have poo poo for insulation.

Middle floor, and there was a boiler for the hot water, with circulation pumps. My kitchen and bathroom floors were always nice and toasty. The a/c was way oversized though, so while it got the place ice cold, it never ran for long enough to deal with humidity very well except on the hottest days.

I think my highest electric bill there was $60 or so. In the winter it was around $25.

Granted.. it doesn't get that cold here, but there was one chilly winter where my patio door froze shut, and had a sheet of ice on the inside (there was usually a ~30F difference between one side of the apt and the other in the winter). Stayed that way for a week or two.

Elmnt80 posted:

Wtf str, you live in texas. Just sit on the porch and watch the funnel cloud pass over you with a bong in one hand and a beer in the other like the god drat Texan you are. You're supposed to be completely indifferent to this poo poo.

Also, the insurance company claims there is no damage to the fuse box, so my truck might be repairable. On one hand, I might get to keep my rolling plastic shitbox, but with electrical issues cropping up all the time. On the other hand I was all psyched to fund myself a cheap mazda 6 with a stick. :(

Oh, I've done exactly that many, many times. But the immediate neighborhood around this place was bitchslapped by an EF4 the day after Christmas. Even Texans get the gently caress inside for an EF4.

quote:

.SUNNYVALE / GARLAND / ROWLETT...

RATING: EF-4
ESTIMATED PEAK WIND: 170-180 MPH
PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/: 13 MILES
PATH WIDTH /MAXIMUM/: 550 YARDS
FATALITIES: 8
INJURIES: 7+

START DATE: DEC 26 2015
START TIME: 6:45 PM CST
START LOCATION: SUNNYVALE / DALLAS / TEXAS

END DATE: DEC 26 2015
END TIME: 7:02 PM CST
END LOCATION: LAKE RAY HUBBARD / ROCKWALL / TEXAS

This isn't far from where I'm trying to move (actually was owned by the same company - it's in the process of being demolished now):

And this has some before and after photos - go to the "I-30 near Zion Road" link in the drop-down. That's a block away. :stare:

An EF0 or EF1 just tickles a bit and knocks over some fences. :v:

Good luck on getting the magic smoke back into the truck! :haw:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MustardFacial posted:

I will happily take British culture over the current redneck, good ol boy, confederate flag, lifted truck, fuckface culture we currently have.

How the gently caress do you think I feel as an openly gay dude in motherfucking Texas? :colbert:

Austin gets a pass. The rest of the state, not so much.

meatpimp posted:

gently caress deer.

I bet you're real glad you didn't pay full retail for that grill now, aren'tcha? :colbert:

(glad you're okay)

Pham Nuwen posted:

Edit: If I buy this car, can I buy stupid pants and blather on about euphoria, or is that reserved for 300ZX owners?

Not enough rust for stupid pants and euphoria.

Also that particular one is fuel injected, right? The ECU could have taken a poo poo - I'm almost positive that the ECU only handles fuel delivery, so feeding fuel into the throttle body will get it to sputter a bit.

If it is the ECU, nothing that Megasquirt can't fix. :getin:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's okay. A couple of other people did too.

v:v:v

okay fine one of those people was me

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Buddy I've seen 5 year old cars that were more broken than I am. And I'm pretty loving broken.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Agreed.

Holy gently caress. I just looked at my maintenance records... then glanced at the mileage.

4000 miles in 3 1/2 weeks. Nearly 10,000 since the 2nd week of February, and over 30k in the past year. :stonkhat:

Front tires (Falken Sinceras) are drat near worn out, despite two rotations. They have ~15k, with a 50k warranty. Guess it's time to go get the alignment checked out. What's weird is the lovely Ohtsus with no warranty (currently on the back) have made it to nearly 35k, and have more tread remaining.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

The loving deer doesn't need any insurance, he was a total. Took the full brunt of a ~5,000 pound truck full-on in the side. I didn't see it after impact, but it didn't even take another step. It was running at the time and was thrown forward and into the ditch at the side of the road. It was a ~180lb buck and the impact sheared its rack right off. gently caress that deer.

My insurance will cover it, I don't know yet if deer strikes are considered chargeable collisions by my insurance company or not.

AWWWWW YISS... STR-esque megapost from meatpimp. :D

Congrats on your megapost! :v:

A deer strike will almost always be covered under comprehensive as long as you actually hit the deer. If you had swerved to avoid a deer and wound up hitting a tree instead, collision would be coming out to play (and causing a rate increase). tl;dr full ramming speed instead of swerving if you see deer

ilkhan posted:

Shouldn't it fall under collision, since he was moving?

No. Collision covers collisions with objects, such as a tree, a car, a pole, etc. Animal strikes are almost always covered by comprehensive as an "act of god".

Wish I'd known that when a deer took on my car several years ago. drat thing caved the fender in bad enough that I couldn't open the door... and I wasn't even moving, the drat thing ran into the side of my car. :fuckoff:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

If the engine is seized, it's doing you a favor and trying to make you do an engine swap. The only way I'd own another 280ZX would be if I was doing a full on engine swap, or at the very least trashing the K-Jet for either carbs or a Megasquirt. gently caress that K-Jet.

Except that car has L-Jet, which has a lot more in common with modern EFI than K-Jet. L-Jet was used in the Z cars from 82-89.

This is assuming the car is actually a 1982 model year anyway.

Nubile Hillock posted:

So I posted in the Stupid Question thread, but I think this thought I have doesn't really fit the thread there...it might be too stupid. So I'm doing a carb conversion on once mechanically injected car, and I got to thinking. What if you were to find a car with a motor that was at some point in history carbureted but now runs on OBD II but you replaced the sensors with electronics that would give an ideal reading no matter what, then just swapped all the important bits to carbed stuff?

Yeah I know it's stupid and probably a huge waste of time and resources but it's something I think about doing just for the gently caress of it. I mean you'd get to keep the neato poo poo like wipers, turn signals, maybe even airbags(!!) but be running a purely mechanical motor setup. If you were to take a poverty spec mid 90s platform there wouldn't even be that many sensors to fake...

I don't know enough about OBD II, but I've got a decent background in low voltage DC stuff and electronics. Thoughts?

This really depends on the car. But wipers and signals would be controlled by a BCM, assuming there is one (this depends how new you go). Airbags have their own module.

Using as an example, my 1999 Nissan Altima's ECU only controlled the engine (and cruise control IIRC), nothing else. There was no CANBUS, and the body control module wasn't tied to the ECU at all. The cluster was old school style and had individual wires going to it for everything (in two bigass plugs), instead of having the BCM or ECU control it. The only thing the ECU controlled on the cluster was the tach. The ECU did control the ac compressor, but as far as I could tell the only reason it even did that was so it could disengage the compressor at high RPMs.

That car would have been dead simple to convert to carb, the hardest part would have been converting the distributor to run it without the ECU.

There's been thousands (probably tens of thousands) of 4th gen F-Bodies (93-02 Camaro) converted to carb, while retaining everything else.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 9, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fully agreed, but the way his question was worded made it sound more like an academic question than anything. I was just using the 4th gen as an example of a car that a ton of people have tossed a carb at while keeping everything else working.

IMO, if it's new enough to be OBD2, it's new enough to have pretty good fuel injection and tunability (and if it doesn't, that's why there's 3rd party EFI). Even my crappy Saturn has some aftermarket support for ECU tuning (HPTuners won't touch the 04-06 L61 ECU for some reason, EFI Live will work fine with it).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You should be able to get the tracking number from the order status page. Copy and paste it, don't use Amazon's tracking link. The carrier's own tracking page may be able to narrow it down.

If it was stocked in a local warehouse, they could narrow it to a 4 hour window (likely 8-12 or 12-4), as they've started using independent contractors for local Prime deliveries, but those guys are picking up 50+ packages per route and Amazon has no idea what order they'll be delivered in. They have a suggested route, but the drivers aren't required to follow it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

For fucks sake, been up 24 hours. Went to bed around 3am. Never got any sleep. gently caress insomnia.

Supposed to work 8 hours today... All behind the wheel. If I can't at least get 4-6 hours of sleep I'll give up the shift and let someone else have it, I have no business driving when I'm this exhausted.

spog posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am in the UK, so I can't get more detail than that.

:doh: Yeah the contractor bit I mentioned only applies in the US. I actually deliver for Amazon myself, but I only handle the same-day delivery.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Finally heard back about the apartment. Approved, and surprisingly with only a $150 deposit. Going down there Wednesday to give them the deposit (and probably part of the pet deposit).

Checked into renters insurance. It's a bit more expensive than the last time I had it, but it's still affordable @ less than $18/mo.

What I'm not digging: there's pet rent fees, statement fees, and pest control fees. I guess that's why this property seems so much cheaper on the surface, they sneak all that other poo poo in. It still winds up being a pretty decent deal for the amount of space though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I have a cat that absolutely loves taking care of insects. :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I was dead tired when I got home, so tired that as soon as I walked in the door, I fell into the couch and passed out cold.

... then woke up at 4am. :argh: Still tired. Just can't get back to sleep. I feel really weird though - I've been spacy as poo poo since about 9pm, still feel that way. Almost like I smoked a bunch of weed, except I didn't smoke any weed. :iiam:

Tusen Takk posted:

i live off of huffing my own farts so

Dude, if you can gross ME out, you're a sick bastard. :barf:

CommieGIR posted:

Whenever someone says superfood, my pseudoscience meter twitches.

Have you tried kelp tape? :colbert:

It's amazing, these like, kung-fu monks make this fifty-foot tape, like a cloth measuring tape but it's kelp, and you swallow it over like three days then you start to, ya know, pass it, then you just slowly slowly pull it out of you over three more days

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

88h88 posted:

This sounds like some nightmare scenario where it all balls up in your intestines and you get backed up and explode.

Yeah but this chick seems to love it

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

clutchpuck posted:

1998 Ford F-150: where is the CD changer?

I didn't think there was one, but I pressed CD on the dash unit and music started playing. There are like 3-4 CDs in it and I found a disc caddy on the floor but I cannot find the changer unit.

On my stepdad's 2001 extended cab XLT (same body style as the 98), it's in the center console. There's a false floor tray that you have to remove from the bottom of the center console to get to it. If it's not there, it'll be tucked under one of the rear seats if it's the extended cab.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Costco and Walmart seem to have the best prices on batteries these days. And at least with Costco, there's zero bullshit with the inevitable warranty exchange.

Plus Costco batteries are supposed to be the better end of Johnson Controls batteries, up there with Interstate anyway. And their warranty is one of the best.

Walmart batteries, at least around here, seem to be Exide. So not great, not terrible, but you might have to dig back a bit to get one that hasn't been on the shelf for 6+ months (I found one that had been on the shelf for over 2 years awhile back...)

Raluek posted:

Last time I was in Portland it was still pretty cheap. Can you not get studios for under a grand anymore?

I know in Dallas, you usually wind up paying 1 bedroom price (or very close to it) for a studio. I much prefer a studio layout, but actually finding one in a decent area (read: no daily carjackings area) is difficult. When you do find one, they want something like $3-5/sq ft and they tend to be really tiny. The cheapest one I found was around 300 sq ft for $650, and that was an apartment complex I lived at in the early 00s that was in kind of a crappy area back then - today, the gas stations and fast food places nearby put the cashiers behind bulletproof glass, so I'd say the neighborhood has gone downhill a bit.

The apt I'm moving into next month is 752 sq ft for ~$800 (after you factor in pet rent, water, trash, etc), in a somewhat better area. Not the best area, but I'd feel safe walking outside after dark.

Got any more photos? :allears:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamnit. Went to top off the ac in mom's car (again) today. Was getting close to fully charged (going both by pressures and the sight glass)... then realized I was hearing hissing. And it was getting louder.

.... the high side hose to the gauges was leaking at a fitting, and was literally getting worse by the moment. Shut the car off and got some heavy gloves and a towel before disconnecting that fucker. I've noticed that the low side gauge would fog up anytime the gauges were hooked up lately, so I'll probably just trash this lovely set and go get some slightly less lovely Harbor Fright gauges tomorrow.

trouser chili posted:

The Odyssey is a rolling tank. Probably the safest drat vehicle on the road. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found the Odyssey to have the lowest overall driver death rate in its class with 0 deaths per million registered years. The NHTSA gives the current gen Odyssey five stars.

I saw a newish Odyssey get t-boned a couple of years ago. Every airbag went off, and the driver was dazed enough that they just kept rolling for about half a mile, but no injuries beyond whiplash.

Great Beer posted:

I was tricked into eating a habanero then touched my face and oh god it just keeps getting worse D:

Try going to piss afterwards instead. You'll never ever ever ever ever make that mistake again.

fyodor posted:

I have done this it does not feel awesome!

oh goddamnit.

jamal posted:

Yeah it is number of meats x number of cheeses. 2x1 is definitely something that gets ordered. I get 3x3s occasionally but don't think I've ever gone 4x4. And you can order basically as many as you want and could end up with something like this:

I remember that thread, it was some kid on the [H] forums, right? IIRC he got sick as poo poo halfway through eating it.

SouthsideSaint posted:

we once put crushed habenero seed powder in a pair of gloves at Jimmy Johns. Our manager put them on and made sandwiches like normal. She went to the bathroom and the screams we heard were hilarious and terrifying.

You're a loving terrible person and I love you for this.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 14, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SouthsideSaint posted:

She was a cool manager so she only was a little pissed and made me do a bar rush shift as payback. But this is also the lady who got hammered at our area managers house and left her an upper decker and peed in her shoes...

:stonk:

I think I'm in love.

literally a fish posted:

Everywhere you go, no matter the place, no matter the industry, when you peel back the curtain, everything is held together with duct tape and prayers.

Good god, this. I'm loving amazed some companies work as well as they do.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So a catering truck decided to change lanes without checking this new invention called "mirrors", and clipped me.

And of course they took off. Limited to some scratches on my bumper and headlight, but they go all the way through the paint to the plastic. Total repairs wouldn't be much more than my deductible.

Option A: file police report, accident goes on my record, police send letter to registered owner. Owner never responds, nothing happens except my rates go up once insurance sees an accident on my record. Police already informed me that since I didn't pull over and call them immediately, that I'm automatically guilty of hit and run myself and they won't investigate it beyond sending a letter (WTF DALLAS)
Option B: file insurance claim, pay my deductible, insurance sends letter to registered owner. Owner never responds, nothing happens except my rates go up.
Option C: take it (the sideswipe) in the rear end, owner of rear end winces, something else goes up.
Option D: stick some Cadillac horns on my car so that the horn can be heard

Options C and D it is.. :fuckoff:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CharlesM posted:

No dashcam?

It crapped out a few weeks ago. :sigh:

corn in the fridge posted:

I watched Deadpool on my flight and holy poo poo what a terrible film.

They should have shown Snakes on a Plane instead. Or Airplane.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LloydDobler posted:

On the topic of speed limits, in March I road tripped from Colorado through Wyoming, Utah, Idaho and Oregon and all the rural interstates were 80 mph speed limits, except Oregon which was 75. I set my cruise at 2-3 mph over and I was passing people like a madman. There were a few radar speed signs that confirmed my speedo is correct so it was interesting that a majority of people don't even want to do 80. My car feels like it wants to cruise at 80 so it was an amazing trip. I never once had someone run up in my rearview going faster than me, except in Metro areas.

And I'm gonna do it again next weekend.

Last time I went to Austin, I had the cruise set at 80-85 for the majority of the drive, with the ac on. Speed limit was 80 on much of the drive, and 65-70 for the rest.

I filled up when I left Dallas, and filled up almost a week later when I was leaving Austin - 33.3 mpg (including driving a bit around Austin for a couple of days, though I mostly walked or used Lyft while I was there). It's rated 23 city/26 combined/32 highway, so 33 looks pretty drat good. Especially at 80 with the ac running. Makes me wonder what it would have been had I filled up immediately after getting off the highway instead of 5 or 6 days later.

Negromancer posted:

punk rock bowling

I need to know what this is and why I'm not a part of it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mungtor posted:

I remember some phone conversations here a couple months ago, and if somebody could give me some advice I'd appreciate it.

I just got a 2nd Gen Moto X (2014) and it's running vanilla Marshmallow on it (6.0, no 6.0.1 update) and it seems a little bland, as well as missing some features like call blocking and better app control. I've started to go down the rabbit hole of ROMs, but I don't know a ton about which ones are good. I was leaning towards Cyanogenmod, probably because it's the only name I recognized. Is that still a good choice? Their latest "stable" builds are in the CM12 series, which seems to be based on Lollipop, and there are only "nightly" builds for CM 13 (MM). I am not an uber phone hacker, I just want something with a little more control that won't crash on me.

I have both a 2014 and 2015 Moto X.

The 2014 is still running CM13 (nightly obviously). It was stable as long as I didn't update it; I'd update once a month or so (and learned quickly to make a full backup first). I don't use it for much anymore though, it spends most of its time turned off.

The 2015 was running various ROMs, but it's back to the stock ROM (with root and adblock).

tl;dr CM or stock on a 6.x device

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MustardFacial posted:

7th gen Civic vs 9th gen corolla vs 1st gen Cobalt.

with bonus points given to the Cobalt for having cheap parts and being easy to work on.

Go.

The 7th gen Civic still has a timing belt to replace every ~90k. Cobalt and Corolla both use timing chains, though GM had timing chain issues on the Ecotec until ~2005 or so. Mostly due to the tensioner IIRC, which you can actually replace without pulling the timing cover (it screws into the firewall side of the block).

I have the Cobalt's cousin (06 Ion), and it's been pretty solid for me. Cobalt will be the cheapest to purchase. Cross shop the Cobalt with the Saturn Ion and Pontiac G5; they're all built in the same chassis (and in the case of the G5, all they really did was change the badging and lights vs the Cobalt). If you do look at Ions, avoid automatic coupes from 03-04 - they use a CVT that's lucky to hit 75k. 03-04 Ion sedans use a 5 speed automatic from Aisin, 05+ uses the same 4T45E you'd find in the Cobalt and G5. Most of the CVT ones were junked long ago.

Parts really aren't much more expensive for the Civic or Corolla vs the Cobalt. I know most a/c parts are cheaper for my mother's Toyota vs my Ion (and all, or close to all, of the a/c parts are the same as on the Cobalt).

They're all pretty reliable commuter cars. The Cobalt will have the worst interior quality, the Civic will probably have the best. If you care about resale value, the Civic will likely be the highest, but count on immediately having to drop $600ish into a timing belt job unless the previous owner can show proof that it was done.

The Cobalt isn't any easier to work on than a Corolla; if anything I'd say it's a little more difficult, due to the serpentine belt tensioner design, and the fact that the radiator has to come out from the bottom. Also, on the manual versions, you have to drop the subframe to replace the clutch. :fuckoff: The upside is they use a cartridge oil filter that drops in from the top, so oil changes are pretty easy. The Cobalt/G5/Ion also don't get great city mileage; EPA rating on my 2006 w/manual transmission is 22 city, and I typically get right about that on an all-city tank.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 18, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MustardFacial posted:

I don't care what they say about you STR, you're alright in my book.

2004-2005 Cobalts are few and far between around these parts for some reason (as are non-redline ion's and G5's). I'm seeing a lot of 2006+ pop up on CL and kijiji though. Through some additional research, the 2007+ have AUX jacks in the head unit, so I will have to prioritize those over everything else. Literally all I care about is price, reliability/easy to repair, working heat, and some way to play my ipod. Nothing else matters. This car will be a highway pig taking me to and from school everyday. Where all I care about is getting there in time in relative comfort. I'm leaning more towards the Cobalt simply because it's easier to find cheaper ones for lower miles, but I mean if the right civic or corolla crosses my path, I'm not going to say no.

It's actually a bit strange, if I go back through my car history this will be far and away the "shittiest" car I've ever had. And yet it's the one I'm most excited about. I've always had a weird thing about cheap, reliable transportation. There is a beauty to very simple machines.

Does this cartoon have a Senna analogue? Because I bet that chicane in the main straight was put in after his death. :ocelot:

I'm kind of a :spergin: about any car I've owned, and well, I've owned two Civics in the past. Plus the Ion I have now. :v: (.. along with 3 Accords, an Integra, an Altima, and a F-150 - the Altima and F-150 were the most unreliable by far)

The Ion got the newer stereo with aux in starting in the 06 model year (mine is a very early 06, with an 06/2005 build date, and the factory stereo had it). I figured the Cobalt would too, but I forgot that the earlier Cobalts had the stereo double as the driver information center. They moved it into the cluster after the 2007 refresh (Ions don't have a driver info center at all though, beyond using the odometer to show "TRUNK", "GAS CAP", "CHG OIL", and "CHK GAGES").

You can always swap the stereo, though on the Cobalt and G5, the stereo also handles all of the warning chimes, beeps, etc, so to retain those you need a ~$100 adapter (if you don't use it, you just lose the audible warnings). The Ion has a small speaker on the back of the cluster instead.

The Cobalt doesn't hold its value too well, so even the newest ones are pretty cheap at this point - a lot cheaper than a similar year/condition Civic or Corolla would go for. If you just want cheap transportation, Cobalt/Ion/G5 would be a good bet. Bonus points if you happen to find one with the 2.4 (they're almost all 2.2 - the 2.4 has a bit more power and still gets about the same mileage). A quick glance at my local Craigslist shows plenty in good shape for $4k, and a lot of beaters for $2k.

And yeah.. if I go through my car history, this is definitely the shittiest car I've owned, at least by brand and model recognition. Don't give a gently caress, it's been reliable, easily as reliable as the Hondas I've owned.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MustardFacial posted:

In order:

1984 Mazda RX-7 (had no rear suspension whatsoever. the driveshaft would rub against the body if you beat on it. Which I did. Constantly)
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.3L V8
2002 Jeep Liberty (was actually my mom's car, but at the time was my primary mode of transportation while I was home from uni)
1988 Mazda RX-7 ( I ruined this car through neglect. Still feel bad about it)
2008 VW GTI
2010 Nissan Frontier (work truck, again technically not mine.)

I'm adding Cobalt's to the mix because they are cheaper and far more plentiful than their cousins. For the same price I could get a 170,000km Civic or Corolla I could get a 100-120,000km Cobalt. Literally all I need is a driving appliance that I can dump oil and gas into and it will run far enough to bring me home. I mean depending on how soon I get a new car I will likely run through the pick 'n pull and grab whatever options I want that aren't part of the original car. It's been a good long time since I've done a junkyard run.

Lemme get my ruler... uh... yard stick...

1980 Ford F-150 XLT - hand-me-down from stepdad. Massive pile of poo poo that had an unhealthy appetite for starters and alternators - I'm sure the SAE 60 oil I ran had nothing to do with the starters. That oil was run because it had absolutely gently caress all for oil pressure otherwise. Also because the rear main seal was a loving lawn sprinkler with normal weights. Even with 60 it lost ~1 qt/day in regular driving, and ~1 qt/75 miles on road trips. Parked when it lost reverse, but from the day I got it until the day it died, it wouldn't go into any forward gears on a cold start until it had been running for several minutes (up to 30 minutes in the winter). When I got it, the transmission fluid resembled roofing tar. Sold to some random guy who asked me about it.

1988 Honda Accord LXi - 4 door, 5 speed manual. Taught myself how to handle a stick. Also learned the importance of timing belts... and carfax. Carfax didn't exist when I bought it, but when I ran the VIN when Carfax did come out, I found out the odometer had been rolled back at least 100k. Wound up getting stolen.

1988 Honda Accord DX - 2 door, 5 speed manual. Bought it from a dealer mechanic, had a junkyard engine in it when I got it and a "brand new ac system". High side hose popped off of the compressor on the way home, guy I bought it from told me you're not supposed to run the ac at highway speeds ever. :fuckoff: Gave it to my roommate when I got the next car, he drove it with no coolant and killed it.

1996 Honda Civic EX - 2 door, 5 speed manual. Went into my ricer phase with this. 2 engines and 3 transmissions later...

1991 Acura Integra LS - 3 door hatch, automatic. It was a solid car aside from the typical 2g Integra issues.... and the adjustable FPR that the PO installed (which gave an awesome 40+ mpg highway, but also wound up torching some valves...)

1995 Honda Civic EX - 2 door, 5 speed manual. Paid $200, salvage title, 198k, dead clutch, dead battery, dead ac. Friend helped me put a clutch in, threw a battery in, threw a cheap Monza Pacesetter exhaust on it, enjoyed all the VTECs. Until I said "hi" to the side of an 18 wheeler. Sold the wreckage for $200 to someone that needed an engine.

2001 Honda Accord LX - 4 door, 5 speed manual. Nothing special in any way, had random IACV issues that would cause it to stall occasionally when disengaging the clutch. Especially fun when I stepped on the clutch to downshift on a cloverleaf exit ramp and the engine died, taking the power steering with it. The only memorable thing about that beige appliance (yes, it was beige) was it would nail 35+ mpg easily on road trips, which wasn't bad at all for such a big car.

1999 Nissan Altima GXE - 4 door, 5 speed manual. Serious appetite for transmissions, it was on its 3rd when I got rid of it. Had timing chain death rattle, and fixing it would have cost more than the car was worth. Plus some rear end in a top hat nailed it in the parking lot at school. Traded it in on...

2006 Saturn Ion 3 (basically the 1LT version of the Cobalt) - 4 door "coupe" (suicide doors instead of real rear doors), 5 speed manual. Paid way too much, but it was pretty much mint inside and out. 66k when I got it 3 1/2 years ago, 140k now.

FWIW, I've only had to add oil once between oil changes on the Saturn (remember, same engine as about 95% of Cobalts - Ecotec 2.2L L61), and I run loooooong oil changes (~9000 miles on Mobil 1 High Mileage synthetic). It's generally closer to "add" than "full" by the time I change it, but I've only seen it get down to the "add" mark once. Technically the 01 Accord was more reliable in that I never did a drat thing to it, but I lived with the IACV being a bitch for several years. Saturn has needed a battery, thermostat, front brakes, and a fuel pump (fuel pump paid for by GM, so I don't really count it).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 18, 2016

• Locked thread