Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Ï found the exploding barrels in the exact same way at the beginning of the game. Looked around, decided to leave the guys behind the door alone for a bit, noticed some barrels and naturally rolled into them and boom. Fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I'm not really a fan of the ring matchmaking system in DaS2. Sure it lets people connect more easily with friends, but for me the main draw for co-op in the first game was that you never knew who you'd end up with and that made it exciting. New alliances were quickly made, we would explore, fight and hopefully ultimately survive the boss and then quickly praise the sun as we realise we would never see each other again.

In DaS2, if you're alone and decide to get a friend to go with you, 4 times out of 5 it would be some jerk who would disconnect immediately and then put a new summon sign on the ground, possibly because they want to co-op with another buttmuncher and not with you.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Simply Simon posted:

What? But if that guy only wanted to play with a certain person...why would they not use the ring?

Probably for the same reason if you go pubbing in, say, Payday 2 or some co-op game and you try to join a lobby and you're kicked instantly because "we're waiting for a friend" and there is an option to make the lobby friends-only or even private but the option isn't ticked.

They're lazy or idiots or very possibly both.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Yeah, when you're fighting a boss with buddies, the best way to go about it is to have someone baiting the boss and the others attacking it while it's distracted. One of the summons should do the baiting since it's more dangerous and if they gently caress it up and die, it doesn't screw the whole team out of the win.

Summoning a buddy is fun, even if you're good enough to tackle the area by yourself. It's that jolly co-op thing that people talk about.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
My favorites are the ones that reference the various skeletons lying around.

Don't give up, skeleton!

Listen carefully, skeleton.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Geop read more messages.

The message system has improved quite a bit from the first game and it gets even better in 3 where you can attach gestures to them to create some fine performance art.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Goonther should help people with co-op then relying on it himself

Geop keep an eye out for npc summons. There's a number of friendly npcs around doing their own thing in Drangleic and they have their own story lines that you have to advance in various ways, one of them being "summon this npc to help you in certain bosses". Kind of like what was in the first game, but expanded a bit. The npc summons aren't that overpowered so the fun should still be there and they could serve as a good showcase on jolly cooperation. You may also get some fun extra loot if all goes right.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Takes No Damage posted:

SWS is most useful to me to remove the HP penalty from repeated deaths, which DS3 doesn't do (I think? Haven't actually played it yet) so I guess it isn't as necessary as in this game. Still, it was really nice to have a way to do a quick co-op run without being locked in until either you, the host or the area boss dies.

In DS3 you get 30% max health penalty from dying once. It actually isn't that bad and the game showers you with embers (aka human effigies) so unless you're incredibly bad and always use an ember immediately after dying and then die again, you should be fine. Of course, there are the co-op/pvp options on top of that all.

Also when I think of a possible underwater area in the From Software Game, I think of the dam level in TMNT, but in 3rd person 3D.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I think my main complaint with Dark Souls would be alleviated if I didn't lose all my goddamn souls on death. Because nothing turns me off to a game faster than when I've played for a half hour and then died and lost all my goddamn progress forever.

You do know you can still get those souls back by going where you died and touching your bloodstain?

Those situations are where the game really becomes alive, when you've died in some really distant place surrounded by monsters and there's a couple of hundred thousand souls there because hubris and you try to figure out how to get there and possibly get back as well. (Homeward boning is for wimps :smug:)

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Proposition Joe posted:

It's kind of hard to swim in a suit of armor.

Victorian diving suit. Patches mans the air pump.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Counterpoint: Losing all your souls because while on your way back to pick them up you die in some stupid manner, such as missing an easy jump or dying to an enemy you have breezed past because it manages to nick you with a grab attack you never knew it had because you have always dodged it previously can be extremely frustrating.

The platforming is frustrating, and one of the weakest points in Souls games. However, you should never underestimate enemies, no matter how many times you have gone past some area.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Night10194 posted:

This seems monumentally unwise.

You make it worth his while by fighting a giant octopus and stealing gold it's grasping with its tentacles.

Basically it's the old G&W Octopus but in Dark Souls.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

armoredgorilla posted:

Sweet Shalquoir is the coolest NPC in any Dark Souls game and it isn't particularly close. Not saying others are bad, she's just miles ahead.

Hmm... mmm... hmm

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Surely From Software wouldn't make a game where the very first chest you come across is a mimic?

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

inthesto posted:

I'm pretty sure geop is the Brock Lesnar of the LP game

So who's Paul Heyman? Vicas?

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah, things will drop for you even in someone else's world. One thing they definitely got right in this game was making phantoming pretty attractive.

The only drops I've ever got while phantoming were life gems. Scholar btw.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Btw Geop, Gwyndolin was the tsundere ladyboy prince(ss). Gwynevere was the sun princess with Amazing Chest.

From being Japanese, there is a non-zero chance of Date Souls. Invade other player's dates and steal their waifu!

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Geop, try torch and then joy!

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Midnight Voyager posted:

I can see about as much as the Skype guys in this.

Dear FROM,

I have above average low light vision, and it actually hurts my eyes when a video game renders more dimly than my eyes think they would. Please cease with the stupid dark areas!

If only there was some sort of portable light source that you could apply to those sconces so conveniently placed everywhere.

If anything, that dark place and others like it are a good way to get players to not turtle behind their shields since they have a torch. And even then they only need to carry it for a couple of yards and then they have a lit sconce and everything is light and fine again.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
To post awesome art you must first get probated by posting a spoiler?

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

White Coke posted:

In Metal Wolf Chaos 2 every time you die you respawn as the next person in the presidential line of succession.

Also have randomized attributes to rip off Rogue Legacy even further.

Goonther the 4th the Hokage with IBS. Find the methane catalyst to have a fart-powered mecha.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Try torch.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Torch abstinence and Gavlan abuse aside, I was most surprised that no one commented when Goonther apparently bumped into...nothing in particular in 5:35.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Rubberduke posted:

This is the reason I had to go back to the ship and get the pyromancy flame in my first playthrough. "Oh hey, a strange device - poo poo"

Same. Also regarding the flame, I first went to a different area and met the NPC who upgrades the flame. I was really confused because they didn't give me the flame so I thought I had missed something or possibly even hosed things up so that I couldn't even get the flame anymore. Then I found the pirate cove.

That's one thing that's pretty baffling actually. You save the person who upgrades the flame, but unlike in the first game, they don't just give you the flame as thanks, you have to find the flame from some completely different area.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Related to that, I'm curious if the commentators nudge Geop into doing the sidequests with npcs. I think meeting Lucatiel and then summoning her for the boss battle is one such missable step. Basically it all kind of boils down to that; you have to meet npcs in certain locations at certain times and then summon them for certain boss battles and you have to do these things multiple times in various places. The npcs also have to survive the battles if memory serves, and it can be tricky in certain battles despite their massive HP pools. Failing these quests doesn't affect the main plot at all, but it would be nice to see for example Lucatiel to have a happy (in DS terms) ending. She's cool.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Or maybe she really really likes Goonther? This is your chance! Go get her! Ask her out! There's that one bonfire near the beginning of Heide's tower that has a great view. You even cleared the place out earlier so you can be alone. It's perfect!

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I was screaming at my screen when Geop looked up and there was the bridge and he didn't make the connection.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Ramos posted:

Man, of course Geop would play a lot of Reinhardt in Overwatch.

I'd pegged him as Zarya guy. She lifts.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

BenRGamer posted:

I'm not sure you can get help in the path leading up to the undead purgatory, the area seems to be a No Multiplayer Zone.

That said, I completely feel ya, Geop, that guy is a total jerk. My advice to cheese it, the next time you run into Gavlan, buy up some poison arrows/throwing knives and just let that do the work.

You can get a buddy for that, did that poo poo with a friend, scholar.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Stormgale posted:

You know late night on the Dranglaic shopping network they will seem to flog you anything:

Many thanks to Akogare Zephyr for drawing my dumb ideas
also alternate take: http://imgur.com/jqAdVia

I started a new run since we haven't had a new episode in a while and I needed my DS fix. Can confirm, maces are awesome.

I remember in episode one or two or thereabouts Geop was going around Things Betwixt doing the tutorial and noticed the unlit sconces. There was some talk about whether you get something from lighting them all or not. It was an addition in the Scholar version, something does happen if you light them all in that area. In fact, there is at least one other area way later that has the same principle. I'm not talking about some one or two sconces in some dark corner of a fort or something, but if there is an area that is just lousy with sconces and generally void of light., it might pay to go full Zelda and light those mothers up.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
The falconers also have a certain attack that they don't show in NG at all, only in NG+ or at least that has been my experience.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Geop posted:

From how Scholar has been so far, I've absolutely no idea if this is a joke post or not

Since you probably won't be tackling NG+ and beyond, I hope you take a look at the beginning and get your rear end dragged to Majula at least. The poo poo you'll see in Things Betwixt alone will give you a slight idea what to expect, and it will be worse.

Edit: I've been playing some earlier episodes as background noise as I've done other stuff and noticed something fun you might have missed. It isn't really lore stuff but can be fun and is something most people miss entirely. Back when you met Armorer Dennis and found the bonfire in that area, there is a giant tree near there that is quite unique. It has a chance of giving you a certain consumable item unavailable anywhere else if you examine it and the chance is increased every time you get invaded either by npc or other player until you go and get the item, which is when the drop chance is again reset.

It's really obscure and I don't know why they made that item so hard to get, especially since it's consumable. It's nothing game-breaking, it's not some late-game item, just something that can have some amusing consequences if used with good timing.

Laputanmachine fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 29, 2016

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I love that slow, blank-stare silent nod Light does after seeing the newscaster turned into a lion and Mega Man says what just happened and that he's going to investigate.

"Oh god I'm having a flashback and now this robot person is talking to me. I shouldn't have taken that acid back in '69"

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Actually two of those lockstone slots lower two bridges across the chasm, one for each floor. It's pretty obvious which slots do that. I don't remember what exactly is over there, probably nothing important.

All other slots are for pvp stuff though. You might get lockstones as rare drops from those rats. I know you can get them from certain other enemies in another area.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Hurrah for torch!

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
The Gutter may look like a shithole now, but you can make it prettier by lighting all those sconces that are littered around.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Five nights at Pharros.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

scamtank posted:

in this gutter, yes

but actually *finding* all the sconces, though

It's easier to see the side areas and paths and things you could fall on from above if you had more light with you.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I want to add to all this Gutter talk that there may still be a way to get back to the first bonfire. I know for certain that when Geop was on the bridges that was the case. In any case there were some areas that were missed during this video.

Keeping a lit torch with you helps you see all kinds of things and it also may cast a shadow on one other weird and not really documented game mechanic that Geop has just barely missed in previous areas.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
There is a friend in Black Gulch who can be a bit tricky to find, but I hope Goonther gets to drop by for a visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

scamtank posted:

I don't think I've ever cleared out Black Gulch without abusing the fact that while bonfires respawn the enemies, the statues reassemble themselves only behind loading screens.

Same.

• Locked thread