Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
It looks like the folks looking for guild invites is pretty backlogged, but adding my name to the list anyway. I put myself on the spreadsheet per the instructions in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Jumping on the ally add bandwagon, as Quellek.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I have two quick questions:

1. Are there any guilds with open spots, and if so, could I get an invite? This pubbie guild I'm in is a real poo poo show. I'm only level 50, so I understand if I need to just deal with it til I get into 7-star hero-ish range. (I'm on the spreadsheet)

2. I'm wondering if someone can help me with some basic advice about early game leveling. I understand from the OP that I'm only going to be able to keep 6-7 guys at max level from 50-70. My problem is that there seem to be WAY more recommended dudes than that for various things. I understand that I should focus on an arena team + a few dudes to help with GW. I think my best options are going to come from GW, cantina, and arena, since those are the most farmable locations. About the only clear choices I see are Lumi (who I have at 5*), and QGJ. STH and Lando seem like reasonable choices also, since they synergize on rebel/scoundrel stuff. So for the 5-7 slots I have a whole bunch of choices:
AA (goes well with Han/Lando)
DS (good all around attacker, a pain to hit)
GS (easy to farm heavy attacker)
Biggs (easy to farm, but seems underwhelming before wedge, who won't be around for awhile)
Leia (a 5th rebel to get before wedge)
RG (easy to farm super irritating tank)
Phasma (seems good and popular, but she doesn't really synergize with any of my other choices)

JKA, Dooku, and Wedge are definitely targets, but they seem a few months away since they come from Cantina levels 6 and 7.

So I guess my question is, beyond Lumi/QGJ/Lando/STH, who else should I focus on from the list above? Or is there somebody else I'm missing that might be a better choice.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Malgrin posted:

1) IGD or QGJ should have some spots, post obnoxiously until someone lets you in.

Okey doke. My ally code is 782-793-678

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Man, for relatively new players, today is like christmas morning. I love that they're giving full shard shares too, instead of the character tokens. Not only am I getting a haul of new characters I eventually wanted (Mace/GMT), I'm also starring up guys I was already working on like AA/JC.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This is probably pretty obvious, but it seems like the best early tactic would be to go after ships/crew that have a combination of crew/ship availability from something other than data cards, so that you can star them up relatively quickly. Does that seem like a reasonable analysis?

edit: man I hosed this up the first time
Looking at the crosswalk for that, these are the candidates with dual farmability:
Resistance fighter/resistance pilot
Tie fighter/tie fighter pilot
JC's starfighter/JC
Gen Spy's starfighter/Gen Spy*
Gen Solder's starfighter/GS*
Wedge's x-wing/Wedge
Plo's starfighter/Plo Koon
Umbaran starfighter/5s

Sun Fac sort of counts but you have to double farm him/his ship from fleet shipments.
* GS & Gen Spy ships are notable because you can double farm them from fleet shipments and GW shipments.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 22, 2016

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
You guys have probably already figured this out, but my original crosswalk for farmable ships/crew was poo poo because there's some rotation each reset.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
One thing I noticed during this tourney is that Sun Fac is insane. I lost several matches to teams with him/wiggs/lando that were thousands of points below me in total power. How is he not a bigger part of the meta with his tanking, every round debuffing, and self-healing? Is it because he wasnt farmable until fleet shipments?

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Quick question: what's the conventional wisdom regarding which node to farm a particular piece of gear from? I assume the earlier it's listed, the higher the drop rate, but what about differences in energy cost? Is a node that costs 10 energy going to have a higher drop rate than one that costs 8? Higher enough that it's worth the extra energy to farm it there instead?

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
There's a dude in my arena running a 19k power sun fac/wiggs/baze/chirrut and it's the stupidest poo poo I've ever seen.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Goddammit they're going to give Cassian to the iphone people aren't they

e: or is this their way of balancing out giving wedge to the iphone folks and catapulting like 20 people ahead of me in arena who suddenly had baby wiggs teams.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 7, 2016

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The main thing that helped me parse through all the character choices was to realize there are 4 locations from which you can farm (Cantina battles/shop, arena, GW). So the way I apprpached it was to pick the most important character from each location and farm them to 6 stars. My first choices (recently completed) were Lando, QGJ, Lumi, and STH. Your mileage may vary. If you finish Lando before you reach lvl 69 and Wedge, pick a jedi or 2 to work on for the Yoda event (If you want Yoda).

They've buffed Boba since I started so he might be a better choice than QGJ from cantina shards. Plus you get bonus shards for him this month.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Malgrin posted:

Don't do this, work on some 3* mods. You should get a few sets of 1* mods while working through battles at level 50 (worth taking a break from Lando for this) -- getting some high level allies in your list will help a lot with this -- and then come back around level 60-65 to work on whatever mod challenges you can do -- if you've got Lando and 88 decently leveled, I would recommend the crit chance mod challenges, and then farming 3* cc mods until you can start farming Wedge (level 69).

I conpletely forgot about mod challenges because they were WAY out of reach for me when they first became available. I'm backtracking now and have a few 3* sets. Thanks for the advice.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I feel kind of dumb asking this, but how the gently caress do you beat the higher level AGI gear challenges? I'm level 72 with AA/Biggs/QGJ all geared and at 6 or 7 stars and it's a 50/50 proposition whether I die or get 1 star on Tier III.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
You're fine. Shoretrooper is cool but he's a premium character only available to people who placed high in his event or got lucky with chromium cards.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is the 12 hour moratorium on damage for raids so that little guys like me can get hits in? Or is there another reason and I need to avoid using my 50k dmg attempt also?

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think I know the answer, but is that mod pack worth the gem cost? It seems like it since it's guaranteed drops.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Davethulhu posted:

Reminder to everyone that today's the last day of double cantina rewards, so make sure you spend your energy/refills before 3-4 pm pacific time.

The double cantina awards allowed me to get Wedge to 7* in just a few days. He's my 7th overall, but more importantly he gives me a set of five 7* rebels just in time for EP's event :D

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Serperoth posted:

My rebel squad really blazed through Palpatine until Tier VI, and 7* Palp is within reach I feel, even though I've been getting crushed a bit. I've got Ackbar at Gear IX, Lando at X, and Biggs, Han, and Leia at VIII (working on 7* Wedge, about 50 shards left). No mods on anyone, but I have a few level 15 ones I can put on people. The remaining gear slots are all pretty similar (Furnaces and hairdryers and that raygun thing), so for the moment I'm kind of farming all of that rather than upgrading anyone immediately.

Any general recommendations on whom to focus on? I think there's a decent chance I'll have 7* Wedge by the end, but if I can get 7* Palpatine with my current squad, I wouldn't mind scratching that off the list.

VV: Yeah, I've gotten a good few shards from there too. And thanks for the advice too, my Lando is pretty high (for me), so I'll drop gear into Biggs and STH, and see if I have any decent mods for them. And even if I don't, I can use whatever I have, +health on STH seems good.

I did it with wiggs/lando/sth/aa and nobody was higher than gear 7 ex.biggs/sth were 8. But I had 3-4* mods on everybody. Sounds like mods and/or wedge are your problem.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ZenVulgarity posted:

I have been spending all my crystals on being able to get more shards so idk what else you want me to do there????????????

I came to the same conclusion regarding scoundrels a few weeks ago. I made them my 2nd priority after finishing rebels (for now). So I already had STH & Lando at 7*. Boba is cool and was pretty easy to star up given he's this month's feature. I added IG-88 from squad arena since droids are cool and Cad Bane from GW because even though he's not great, he's at least farmable. I have those last 2 to 5* now & purple and I'm clearing tier 3 even though I lose at least one of ig-88/cad bane doing so.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Can you beat the 3rd speed mod challenge with just rey/finn/poe? If so, what lvl do they need to be? The composite power number is fine as an estimate.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
When I was playing Marvel puzzle quest, there were at least 2 people who spent an estimated 6 figures on the game.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in 1st by 200 with 2 hrs left but out of AP. Hopefully I can hang onto top 25.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That unresistable target lock is pretty sick. You can rotate targets and have everybody perma-locked by turn 5.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'd switch to Lando ASAP because he's badass and useful for a lot of things (he's a scoundrel AND a rebel).

The arena question is probably gonna come down to trial and error/personal preference. I like running 2 tanks (I use STH/Sun Fac) because it can really screw a team that doesn't have great buff removal. It helps that both of those guys do other super useful things. I'd also give the edge to RG over ig-86 because he's slightly more useful long term.

e: i'm only lvl 76 and thus not in the end game meta, so my arena advice is from that point of view.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Davethulhu posted:

2) you can quit a fight and restart it, your rng remains the same, but you can do things in different orders.

This made a huge difference for me. You can even lose critical characters, back out and they reset. I've had some 12th nodes where I had to attack them from 3-4 different angles before I solved the puzzle, but since I figured this out I haven't failed to finish GW in weeks.

They always seem to throw one out-of-depth team in about halfway through and the back out/retry method works great for that node too.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dely Apple posted:

I unlocked PacSun Fac bug man and felt only ennui at him starting at three stars. There is no end. Only the force.

Sun Fac is dope af and fairly easy to star if you don't mind delaying your ship advancement for a few weeks. He does like 4 cool things:
1. Tons of health tank
2. Self heals
3. Has a decnt taunt with a short cooldown, then counterattack buff removes all attackers because
4. His primary is buff removal

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Quick straw poll: I just hit 77 and unlocked cantina battles for RG and JKA. Who's more important?

I have 4/5ths of an empire team at 6/7* so 2nd/3rd tier potency mod challenges are close if I add RG, but I know JKA makes a pretty great addition to Landowiggs arena teams (which I run currently), and he seems to be pretty great all around.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Numismancer posted:

Level 48 Arena Slapfight advice needed:

https://swgoh.gg/u/numismancer/collection/

I've been running the following and getting solid results, placing in the top 10 a couple of times in recent days:

STH (L, 4*), RG (1*, ugh so hard to get shards), GS (4*), QGJ (4*), JC (4*) - everything is at gear 6, and JC at gear 7.

Within the last day, I now have a Lando (4*) and Luminara (3*), both gear 6.

The problem:

The top of my bracket is lousy with Wiggs teams. I can place top 20 reliably but top 10 is getting dodgy as hell. I usually would begin round by ganking healers or leaders with QGJ/GS assist hilarity, but that's not cutting it anymore.

Any suggestions given my roster for a superior team than what I have above? I've got a decent crystal stash so crash-gearing someone from my backbench is a viable option, I'm slamming through GW daily with no trouble.

I'm guessing you're running into wiggs teams because iphone folks got a free wedge a few months ago, which may include people in your arena. Lando is going to be a rock star for you. He is a dmg powerhouse if you can keep him safe. If I were you, I'd get him into the team ASAP with STH, QGJ, GS, and Lumi. You can star both of your new guys pretty quickly, especially if you burn both 100 gem cantina refreshes each day.

I'd advise against using more than the 2 50 gem refreshes per day on gear acquisition. I don't think you're really under that kind of time pressure.

Also, don't get too depressed about RG slowness. He eventually gets a cantina battle and he's useful through endgame.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Numismancer posted:

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl. Who should I set as leader with that loadout, STH?

Since it's a little early to put together specific faction teams, I'd say whoever gives the best all allies bonuses. STH does that and Lumi's are pretty good too, even though her heal is halved for non-jedi.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

General Probe posted:

GQJ has 3 open slots minimum. Also we're blitzing T7 pit raids again. I've yawed on about in guild chat again but I held off doing damage to make sure we finish it and without n a few hours we were done before I could put up any damage at all. Since we clearly have not problems finishing T7 again, will we organize anything or will it be FFA style?

I'd be cool with you inheriting the guild lead from Jibo. You seem to be pretty on the ball to me.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Saw this bounty hunter team in my arena today. Underpowered for its rank and I can't come close to beating it. I like that this guy saw the potential in Boba's lead and ran with it:

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DotyManX posted:

So I've gone back to getting creamed in the arena regularly, I used to be able to stay in the 20-50 region easily but lately I've been getting knocked back into the 80-90's everyday. Any advice on a good arena squad? here is my list of toons: https://swgoh.gg/u/dotymanx/collection/

I've been noticing the same phenomenon, and I think it's because I take my focus off arena for even a few days. The guys that rank high in arena seem laser-focused on that. They must put TONS of time into mod challenges even at lower levels, because I beat them in gear and levels and I lose badly to teams that look just like mine. I haven't necessarily neglected that portion of my team. Everybody has 4-5* mods. They just aren't _nice_ 4-5* mods. I was down into the 20s last week and now I can't crack the top 50.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
As I'm coming up on level 80, I started looking into zeta abilities. Has anybody tried a nightsister team with Asajj's zeta leader? Looks like it would be pretty great for TM fuckery. Plus, all 5 nightsisters are pretty easy to farm and from 4 different locations. I realize there are a bunch of more important teams to work on for various parts of the game, but it looks like it could be fun to play around with for somebody who's been around awhile.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ZenVulgarity posted:

Boba isn't the issue it's the giant amount of regen

While it's reasonable to try to come up with counter-chaze tactics in the long term, for now I think you just have to do what the rest of us do and avoid fighting chaze teams. If you get one in GW, that's bad luck. Otherwise, pick another team to fight in the arena. If you're already closing in on the top 20, then that's kind of what the meta looks like at that rank. Surely you've encountered whales in other games?

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Phummus posted:

Is there an SA guild for force arena? I don't see a thread for it here...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805457

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Straw poll:
I just pulled a +30 speed potency arrow and I'm putting it somewhere on my Empire Fett squad which I'm hoping to make my main arena team soon.

Who's more important to go first, EP or Boba? If I put it on EP, he's at 160 speed which is pretty good for my arena. He won't go before the fastest Biggs's, but he'll go ahead of everybody else. If I put it on Boba, he'll be at 178, which should make him go first most of the time (for a few weeks until everybody hits lvl 80 anyway).

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I know you guys probably already know this, but Vader is a rare drop in fleet shipments. I saw 2 or 3 in the 1st month of ships then none up until today. It was so long between them that I thought maybe it was a promotional thing.

He's hard enough to star up that I thought it was worth mentioning. :)

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I want to take a moment to thank this thread for the constant supply of good advice you guys have provided. I'm about to hit 80 and I couldn't be happier with where I am in the game. I maxed out a rebel squad just in time to get EP, got a fun as hell EP-led team about to take over for my rebels in arena where I'm hovering around 50th, and just today 3*ed the crit chance mod challenge such that I have CC, health, and potency to choose from for 5* mod farming. I have 3 reg raid teams and 2 heroic raid teams that, while not optimized for the job, are at least letting me outperform my level (and I've got Teebo & EE coming along shortly).

I really appreciate the effort you guys put into posting your thoughts & analysis. This game has a steep learning curve but I feel like I tackled it nearly optimally with your help. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Do you have the 3rd tier speed mod challenge completed? Because that seems like a pretty good reason to keep going with your first choice.