Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest if I was an AoS showrunner I'd jump at the chance to get to explore the world after half of humanity vanished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Did you watch a different movie than me?

You watched a different movie than everyone else if you don't recall Mordo basically being like "man, gently caress this guy and his fuckups."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

She's got that Carrie Fisher look in every movie she's made in the last 5 years and the rumors are a-swirlin'.

I literally can not find any rumors by googling. Is there anything actually backing this up besides "I really think it!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey, guess what? It's extremely loving hard for trans actors to get roles because there's little demand for it and of course they're not 'allowed' to be cast in 'cis' roles. You don't know the list of names because they literally don't have chances to be cast for roles, which means they can't get name recognition, which means they won't get cast for roles. A role such as this is exactly what they need.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ashpanash posted:

We'll finally get our moleman movie

I believe you'll find the Fantastic Four battled the Moleman in hit film The Incredibles 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Did that happen? I mean it sounds like it probably did. Obviously that's lovely but I don't think there's a point when the Star Wars fandom "became bad".

The actor discussed how he almost killed himself over it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I don't want to see a live action plastic man. There'd be so much CG involved for him to do anything interesting in any given scene that you might as well just stick to animation. I don't think having ugly "realistically shaded" plastic man contorting around with some actor's face in the middle of the big CG mess would be something I or anyone else would enjoy looking at.

We need to get out of the mindset that a live action film is the ultimate goal of adapting any given material. Some stuff works better as a cartoon or as like, a book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLIuRluy10I&t=58s

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

If he feels that strongly about it, break contract. Pay the legal fees. Stick to your guns. Stand by your buddy. Donate every cent Disney gives you to charity. Really give them the finger for bowing down to the alt-right nazi goons.

OR

Tweet.

I mean dude has a wife and children, going "FIGHT DISNEY'S LAWYERS" is a bit much over a dude being removed from a film. Yes, it sucks, but part of why he's probably tweeting is hoping they WILL axe him without him having to y'know, risk losing a whole loving lot of money on breaching contract. It's easy for you to say it because you don't actually have to suffer any for what happens to him but it'd be one thing if it was a Harvey Weinstein thing. This is honestly more a case of "it's lovely Gunn got removed when other people more deserving are still working there" and not "Gunn is an innocent snowflake." I think it's lovely what happened but it's pretty excessive to except him to salt the earth.

It's also really dumb to compare "someone made a joke on Twitter" to "Someone said something unironically on Twitter." Twitter, like it or not, can have actual impact in this day and age.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unironically the most meaningful thing Captain Marvel ever did was die of cancer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LGD posted:

you might note that Homecoming takes the position that Tony hosed up and goes out of its way to show that while Tony was being a bad absentee surrogate father-figure he was also closely monitoring what Peter was up to and took his opinions seriously, whereas TLJ treats Holdo's insane expectations of unquestioning-duty-until-death in service of an obviously terrible plan as correct

Holdo kept her plan secret for the obvious reason of the moment someone found out about the plan they leaked it, which lead to the plan failing when someone revealed it to the Empire.

Edit: Excuse me, the First Order, legally distinct from the Empire.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 9, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LGD posted:

you should unquestioning trust authority figures because they know better than you, even when they give you no reason to believe that's the case, the evidence suggests otherwise, and they refuse to explain or justify themselves

that's the extremely obvious message of that entire subplot

No it isn't. The film does not say "trust authority figures without question" and certainly not in the *exact same film where they point out the Resistance is buying weapons from war merchants.*

The entire point is that Poe demanded to be told things after being proven himself untrustworthy and viewed things as "I'm the right hero who is always right" (with the meta-text of 'because that's how it works in these kind of films') only for it in fact to turn out to be entirely wrong. Their one in a million desperate effort didn't help, the charming rogue they met in a prison cell turned out to be more interested in profit than having a heart of gold, and Poe disliking being given orders turned out to be because he was an arrogant hothead, not because the orders were wrong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It turns out Sony was right all along!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is a serious discussion to be had about what can be done for convicted criminals and how they should be reintegrated into society and all of that. And that is fair.

The issue here is that this was a convicted sex offender being cast repeatedly in major Hollywood blockbusters without informing anyone involved and in this particular case was cast as *someone sexually harassing a woman*, a woman played by an actress who has already spoken about her real-life sexual abuse troubles in Hollywood. Once she found out about it she complained (as she is in her right to do!) and the result was that she ended up ostracized and treated like poo poo by the rest of the cast. It is literally the case of a woman speaking out about being uncomfortable being forced to act alongside a known sex offender who got his position via nepotism being punished for not shutting up.

There needs to be more done to help criminals, even abusers, reintegrate into society. That doesn't include having them act in blockbuster films alongside victims without the victim's knowledge and consent.

Edit: The "she didn't speak up about Bryan Singer" thing is a load of poo poo as well. Shockingly an actress in Hollywood speaking out about the abuses she was witness to or had inflicted on her being scared that she would be ignored or harmed for speaking out is *literally a major part of the current movement.* It's taken time for people being willing to come out for fear of not being inflicted with consequences for doing so. And Predator is a great example of why that is an issue because she spoke out about an issue and suddenly everyone got awkward and silent and literally walked out of interviews.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 12, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I dunno know what Conan's thinking, I'd totally watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90gqRSF4Ggc

I am pretty sure I wouldn't watch anything with Bill Cosby in it these days.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

What if he's being eaten by rats?

I don't support cannibalism.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Movie Thanos was fine but comic Thanos is one of the greatest villains ever written so it's disappointing they didn't even try to portray him.

Like, for all Fox's problems, they got Magneto pretty right on the first try...

I think doing Thanos as comic accurate, especially in an Infinity Gauntlet adaptation, would probably not work well for a film. Infinity Gauntlet Thanos is a dude who spends the entire film whining that his crush won't date him and goes so far as to make up a creepy masturbation fantasy to try to make her jealous. He's scary certainly because he's so frigging unhinged but I think that "LADY DEAAAAATH, WHY WON'T YOU DATE ME??" would probably render him too funny to audiences no matter how you tried to sell it, and comic accurate or not, would probably end up reading like some kind of commentary on the MRA-style crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The dude made a joke tweet at Ryan Reynolds. Acting like he co-wrote the movie is a bit ridiculous.

• Locked thread