Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Sony is actually making MIB Jump Street, so no they're not.

Normally I'd be excited, but given their recent track record, I'm apprehensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I dunno how much weight it holds with you guys but ca did not like suicide squad

http://comicsalliance.com/suicide-squad-review-the-dc-movie-universes-darkest-night/

Holy poo poo I haven't kept up with SS news (because I have not been excited for it much at all) but that Deadshot mask is just bad. I thought they were just gonna have Will Smith go maskless. That thing looks CW-show level.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
SS sounds like it'll be a great movie for me to watch drunk in a few months.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mycot posted:

Still rooting for Hanna Barbera Cinematic Universe to be the next thing.

Because the Flintstone movies worked out great!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AngryBooch posted:

And that ninjas and yakuza are not in fact invading hospitals in that neighborhood?

That you know of! :tinfoil:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Sounds good in theory but also sounds like a very busy 5 hour movie

Yeah that sounds like way too much poo poo to cram into one movie.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

When do you guys think Fight Club 2 will get a live-action movie adaptation?

I read the first issue of Fight Club 2 and if the rest is as bad as the first, I'm sure it'll never get adapted whoever keeps on making awful Mark Millar books into movies is already all over it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jesus Christ man, some people just said they envision the character with red hair based on 50+ years of media telling them she should, not that they're gonna boycott the movie Ghostbusters-style, calm down.

I mean I'm sure there are people out there that are claiming they're boycotting the movie but you should go fight them on Twitter, you know, where they are.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 19, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

In the comic it's unrealistic they didn't think it was an attack by Japan.

Japan has been developing giant thing technology for decades.

Meanwhile on Monster Island:

Mothra: Godzilla, I'm not a Toho serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my masterstroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

SMASH CUT TO MECHAGODZILLA STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF A DECIMATED TOKYO, ACTIVATING A SELF-DESTRUCT SEQUENCE

Rodan: Hurm

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 29, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

When his first N52 series launched that's what they gave him along with a giant sword. His Rebirth book has him back in a form fitting suit that looks pretty excellent.

Stop trying to trick me into reading Deathstroke dammit!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

It's funny that in a movie where Venom was shoe-horned in, Sandman is the one who feels like he has no loving business in the story.

Yeah, everyone always rips on SM3 for Venom but Sandman always really cheeses me off. Because his whole backstory completely ruins Spider-Man's origin! Sandman kills Ben, so the robber Peter lets go does nothing, thereby making Peter's non-intervention meaningless! With great power, comes great responsibility sometimes poo poo happens, I guess.

SonicRulez posted:

I'll be blown away if we don't get a recreation of the "Amazing" "Spectacular" joke from Civil War.

"Amazing" "Spectacular" "Web Of" "Peter Parker: Spider-Man poo poo I REVEALED MYSELF AGAIN"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

I think Fraction's Fantastic Four was meh, but the FF was really good. I'm kinda sad they walked back some growth Scott Lang had in that for the sake of matching him up with the movie version.

I personally think it was underrated, tbh. I really like the way that it and FF's stories tied together at the end after initially seeming unrelated.

Though I agree about feeling sad about Lang getting regressed so he can fit more in line with his movie persona.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 5, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

I prefer animated tv shows since I feel like those have generally matched what comics are like the best.

Well yes, certainly, but people just enjoy seeing live-action stuff

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Don't reward those thieving Euros!

It not you, it France, mon ami

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

They added a thing so they can do the Deadpool eyes on Spider-Man because it's about time.

But they didn't need a thing to do Deadpool eyes, Deadpool did them just fine without having Tony Stark drop off a mask at his place. Oh wait I forgot nerds are babies who cannot process things like fun or facial expressions without a ~tactical realism~ explanation tacked on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The two things I've discovered that will derail any thread on BSS are arguing about regional food differences and (generally) discussing wrestling.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Regardless, IM3 is a terrible movie that does a bunch of regressive awful horseshit, I trust it to handle an actual minority character as well as it handled PTSD and mental illness, which is to say horribly.

I never understand this argument, it reminds me of when somebody (or maybe multiple somebodies, I forget) complained a while back that "IM2 didn't really do Demon In A Bottle". Yeah, of course a superhero movie that children are gonna see isn't gonna have accurate portrayals of things like PTSD because that's not exciting or funny, that's dark as gently caress.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

So, a major network sitcom, then?

Color me shocked :geno:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

To nobody's surprise, there is going to be an Extended Cut of Suicide Squad.

Oh boy all that extra Leto footage :suicide:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Look I'm not saying you're wrong for disliking that opinion, but there are way worse movies with the Marvel name on them than SM2. It's not a completely stupid pick for best Marvel movie, is what I'm saying.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

This is it. People remember Molina being great and forget the rest. It even has the cliche bit where the hero gives up and throws his stuff away, but then is brought back.

Dude that's like Spider-Man 101 though (or Spider-Man 50 to be exact :eng101:). Everyone knows that SPIDER-MAN NO MORE cover. In this day and age where people are so giddy whenever praise Marvel over DC for "embracing their comic roots" or whatever bullshit gets written in movie reviews and/or nerd thinkpieces, I'm always surprised to see the Raimi movies get knocked because they match the overwrought drama of a superhero comic perfectly, along with some great fights for early 2000s CGI. Like sure, Spider-Man didn't crack enough Jokes Per Second to satisfy your personal quota (i would've liked more too, fwiw) but they are good films :colbert:

Well... 2 of them are, at least :shrug:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 24, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

The first Rami movie had Hero by Nickleback on it's soundtrack, so that redeems it of any sins imo.

Look WH no one cares what you do on your own time but there are some shameful secrets that you keep to yourself even in this, the forum named for shameful secrets

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 24, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Oh god I forgot about that.

That prayer scene is maybe the worst thing in the history of cinema and yeah I've seen the Catwoman basketball scene.

You and I are enemies now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

I like ASM 1 more than any of the raimi films straight up

Ghost Dennis Leary stares at this post disapprovingly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The only problem with Dr. Strange is that at no point in the movie does Strange say anything about the hoary hosts of Hoggoth.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

If you photograph someone running at just the right part of their stride it can look like they're running backwards.

God drat you :negative:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

T'Challa wants to see if his vibranium claws can cut through Hulk's skin. They do but Hulk's skin seals back up instantly.

*scratch*
"Quit it."
*scratch*
"Quit it."

*about to scratch*
*Hulk looks over*
*scratch*
"RRRAA--"
*Panther bolts*

"Hulk and Groot have a really deep conversation while Steve Rogers bangs head against wall for 20 minutes."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just got back from Wonder Woman screening, thought it was pretty rad. I wasn't really bothered by the Ares fight. I mean, I do think it would've been better without, but at this point I've accepted that all superhero movies must end with a big dramatic CG fight, so ultimately I'm cool with it.

The only real problem I had was Ares' death. Like, okay, the movie addressed that people are the real fuckups, but it also has Ares say that he gives them ideas for exciting ways to gently caress up. And then he dies in World War 1. So I guess every other weapon of war was a human original creation? Good job, Manhattan Project, you didn't even need a Greek god to help you build that bomb! I don't know, I think it might've been better/made more sense if he was somehow banished or something instead of being outright killed. Of course though, it is a comic book movie, I suppose there are always cop out ways to bring him back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Someone really needs to do a Plastic Man movie and just make it absolutely insane.

It'd have to be animated or the CGI budget will be through the roof.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

"Hydra aren't nazis" has never fooled anybody who didn't want to be fooled

Weren't they just a generic terrorist group before the Cap movie though?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zachack posted:

Hickman's Hydra was similar except now the base is underwater and they're a wheels within wheels illuminati thing complete with blind samurai and tentacle monster.

That's the main one I was remembering, and they seemed way more generic evil.

I just don't want poor Bob, Agent of HYDRA from Deadpool to be a Nazi.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ojjeorago posted:

Imagine 4 Gwen Stacys on the edge of a cliff.

ftfy

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

good day for a bris posted:

Quick! Someone call Lin Manuel Miranda!

Well the word got around they said "this kid is insane, man"
Took a bunch of cops to send him straight to Ryker's Island
"Meet your cellmate Eddie Brock and never think about escapin'
You're never getting out of jail. Wait what's your name again?"

My name is Cletus Kasady
That's right I am Cletus Kasady
And there's a ton of folks I haven't killed
But just you wait, just you wait

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
As long as someone eats dramatically then this is a faithful adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC6T3_O2iWc

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just got back from Thor 3 and I gotta say I loved it, except I don't feel like they really dwelled on Banner possibly going perma-Hulk enough. Like, Banner's clearly worried about it, and after talking a bit, Thor relents to not needing Hulk and not forcing the transformation on him, but still at the end he's Hulk and no one seems to care, least of all Thor. The movie doesn't really think it's much of a moment either. Yeah, Banner looks out to see what a dire situation they're in while a touch of sad music plays, but then he splats himself on the Bifrost for laughs and then that's the last the movie seems to care about any pathos with the Hulk and relegates him to "Awesome fight guy".

That said, I am shocked by how many permanent changes it made in a genre where you can usually bet on things returning to a sort of status quo at the end. Stuff like Thor losing an eye was shocking, and I could have sworn that Mjolnir would be back before the end of the movie. I even had it planned out in my head. I thought it would come right near the end from Odin giving him a pep talk and Thor realizing the hammer was just an extension of his will/power and seeing the pieces reform as he called it to his hand, and I thought "poo poo did I call it?" when Thor and Odin met in Thor's mind during the final battle. Then Thor went Super Saiyan Thunder God and I was surprised.

Also man, Dr. Strange has been doing some serious practice since... Dr. Strange, the movie. He ended that one with a lot to learn and in this one he's treating teleporting Norse gods around like it's the most boring thing in the world.

edit: Oh yeah, Skurge was super-disappointing. I mean, someone reposted his sacrifice just yesterday in the badass panels thread and the movie was... way less cool. I suppose it would have to be since you can't have Skurge do a dramatic face turn when he was hardly even a heel. I guess I just don't get why he's there, when there's no way you can do his most iconic moment with the gravitas it's supposed to have.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 8, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fruit on the bottom posted:

Well SOMEONE’s leaving after Infinity War. RDJ?

I think every movie since IM3 was supposed to be his last one no-really-guys-this-is-it but the house of mouse keeps giving him ludicrous sums of money to do another.

I distinctly remember some interview where he said Iron Man 4 was happening but that could have been horse poo poo.

If anyone's biting it in Infinity War my money's on Vision. Paul Bettany can't enjoy all that Vision make up, and Vision is nobody's favorite Avenger, so it won't make the little kid audience too sad when he goes. Or maybe Rhodey actually dying instead of a fakeout.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NorgLyle posted:

He's like the fourth or fifth most notable Darkseid lackey and I imagine the whole reason for using him was to make him the Giant Bat in the Castlevania tower of Apokolips challenges for the League (when that was still the plan for the Justice League movies going forward).

"Notable Darkseid lackey" just makes me think they should've used Granny Goodness, naturally, played by Ed Asner in drag.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

Back to the jar of piss thing,

New thread title please...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I know this is just going to start another argument but this needs to be said. This poor opening weekend that it's shaping up to have wasn't a result of a Rotten Tomato score. It wasn't a result of Wonder Woman of course, which is looking more like an anomaly than ever now,. It wasn't a result of bland uninteresting marketing or anything like that. Whether people want to believe it or not this opening weekend was a direct result of Batman v. Superman poisoning the well for the wider general audience. That movie dropped like a stone after opening weekend and people remember their experience and the negative buzz. I know some people around here like to refer to it as an "interesting failure" at worst but the bottom line is that even if Justice League is better, and I'm not sure if most people will see it that way, the audience had already made up their minds not to see this movie because that one left a bad taste in their mouths.

I think you're probably right, but I can't help but think that a huge factor is rushing straight for JL without establishing the other characters first. Say what you want about Marvel being formulaic, but the formula sure as poo poo worked for Avengers because everyone knew the characters going in (aside from Hawkeye who was not only introduced in one of the least-liked Phase 1 movies, but didn't have a big part in it either like Widow got in IM2). You can't build hype for Aquaman or Cyborg when your audience doesn't really know them or their deal going in. So Justice League starts with a Batman that not that many people even liked, Wonder Woman, a dead Superman, and the promise that there'll be some new guys and they'll be totally cool we swear. Oh yeah and Avengers had a villain people knew from previous films too, as opposed to... a guy no one knows. Maybe DC/WB had so much faith that their characters were more recognizable to the public (and I guess maaayyybe Aquaman is? but not in a good way) that they didn't need to build interest in other characters, but they were clearly wrong.

Really though I can't figure out whether DC is trying to do Justice League first before movies for Aquaman or Cyborg is because they're trying to prove that DC does what Nintendon't doesn't copy the Marvel formula because don't even need it :nyd: or whether it was totally just a run for the money where they figured just the promise of any superhero team with Batman would get asses in seats gently caress who's on the team who cares.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Seriously. They got Shane Black to do Iron Man 3, and he had done a very specific kind of movie with RDJ, and in general, and he nailed putting the character arc on the path they wanted for Avengers 2 and Cap 3. It's really more thought and character than you'd expect from a giant franchise, and they put out as many films in a year as the DCCU has ever.

Counter: no. If anything he put the character arc on the complete opposite of the path they wanted for AoU and Cap 3. He realized his building of more and more suits stemmed from paranoia/PTSD from his mini space journey at the end of Avengers, swore off being Iron Man, blew up his suits, got his heart fixed, and rode off into the sunset with Pepper. So it was really awkward when suddenly he's back with the Avengers and has even more suits! And he wants to build an armor for the world!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just got back from Justice League. Gotta say, I didn't think it was all that bad. I dare say I enjoyed it. I guess it helped that I'd been reading this thread beforehand so I expected something along the lines of "garbage fire", so the bar was low. I mean, don't get me wrong, there were problems, they definitely tried to stuff too much into the movie (just like BvS!) and I maintain that they really should've done a Flash or Aquaman or Cyborg or Bat-fleck (or maybe more than one of those) movie before Justice League but I feel like it worked, all things considered. I was surprised by how much I liked Cyborg, and how much my eyes were able to adjust to/ignore the subpar CG that made up his body. Also Superman's super-uncannily-clean upper lip really only stuck out to me during the beginning cellphone video. Maybe if DC keeps working this "we're not great but we're learning!" angle, they'll have a movie that can get fanboy praise, critical praise and make money!... right before Cavill's contract runs out and they have to awkwardly recast Superman.

Also whenever they showed Barry Allen visiting his dad in prison, suddenly all I could think about is how I wanted Henry Allen to be played by Grant Gustin in old man makeup, since John Wesley Shipp played him on the CW Flash. Just start a trend of each Barry Allen's dad being played by the previous Barry Allen.

• Locked thread