Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Samu posted:

Did they ever add a Canadian Civ?

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe this time glorious Yugoslavia will get the recognition it deserves.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
America: a nation of culture warriors.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gort posted:

A lot of it is making a game your AI can play, rather than the other way around. I remember playing Medieval Total War 2, where an AI attacking a city had to build siege weapons (ladders, towers etc) and roll them up to specific places in order to attack. Unfortunately it got confused doing this a lot, and often ended up running up-and-down in front of the infinite-ammo arrow towers, taking hideous casualties. Everyone said the AI was terrible as a result. Fast forward to Shogun Total War 2, where they made a big selling point out of the great AI. They got rid of most of the siege engines - instead troops could just climb walls with grappling hooks they all carried. The AI performed a lot better as a result.

When they went from Civ 4 to Civ 5, they introduced a lot of elements that effectively punished the AI. Balance was generally poor, which meant the AI fell into traps. One-unit-per-tile combined with units being pretty slow meant that it could waste a lot of turns shuffling its units around. Being able to destroy units with no retaliation (ranged units/air units/cities) meant a player could punish them for this, and the poorly-balanced promotions on such units made it even worse. High difficulties gave the AI more units instead of better ones, exacerbating the unit traffic jam problem. Terrain could be very punishing, such as water which multiplies the damage a unit takes when it's embarked.

There were tons of things they could have done to make the game easier for the AI to play it, but I don't think they were particularly committed to supporting the game - patches were very slow in coming, and dried up years before the release of the next game in the series.

This is a smart post.

And yeah the main difference between the AI's combat ability in Civ4 vs Civ5 is that the AI could handle "stack troops --> move troops" but was totally incapable of managing the Civ5 system. Designing game systems with your AI's capability in mind is very important.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It basically sounds like you are just saying "I want more Paradox games".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I would love it more developers took some ideas from Paradox but Jesus do not include their loving business model in that process.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Everything you need to know about CK2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2ZkO8CclhI

(It's a good game)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I always felt like Civilization accommodated both sides of the aisle pretty well.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
1UPT was just a mess in so many ways. It caused traffic jams, it totally gimped the AI in warfare, it was annoying to manage, and it enabled that ridiculous exploit where you could detect enemy/barbarian units in the fog of war by spamming your cursor everywhere.

Maybe it could work in different circumstances but they didn't enable said circumstances at all.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Put in the Inuit they can have a unique building called QuickBooks that is what they are famous for.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If Poland is not in the game at release it will be grave insult!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Norse were willing to do whatever it took to make sure they were the ones included in a popular video game hundreds of years later.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Theological Combat

lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Imam used "Issue Fatwa".... it's super effective!!!

Missionary fainted!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Giving bonus for recapturing your own city seems pointless because "I lost a city" is a rage-quit condition for 100% of singleplayer games and probably most of the multiplayer ones too.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I am also looking forward to this game

... 's complete pack in two or three years.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"We must make our games look like a children's cartoon, for if we do not then Blizzard shall do it for us."

- Game Developers trembling in fear

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov posted:

Here's my lovely meme review of Civ6

bye!

idgi but I haven't been following the thread. Is this a thread joke?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I think the picture is meant to represent morning and the joke is that more than 2 hours passed.

Eureka!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This poo poo and the terrible trade route UI(lack of indicator of what your last trade route was, can't set it to autorefresh) are some absolutely baffling decisions.

Beyond Earth strikes again!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Vox Nihili posted:

the latter would be pretty overpowered.

Which means it is entirely plausible!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

mostly the fact that the basic mechanics were pretty degenerate (early civ v had ICS as a dominant strategy) and the only way to make the game challenging also increased the bullshit level enough to make the game unfun

I would wait.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It makes me irrationally upset that districts are just cookie cutter textures that don't relate to the status (city center/another district/woodlands) of the tile next to them. It should be like Endless Legend where they meld together to form what actually looks like a city with various districts, instead of a tiny city, and then a university in the wilderness, and then an isolated harbor on the coast.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Polyakov posted:

I declared war on myself

Oh Firaxis.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
King Food has been deposed...

Long live King Production!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

Playing China, building the pyramids to get five uses per builder plus a free builder lets you basically build any wonder you want within a handful of turns, it's even more broken on longer games.

If you do that and then pick up the policy that gives you +2 builder uses, you get seven charges per builder, which you can expend for 105% total production on a wonder, which means you can build any classical/ancient wonder for the price of 1 builder which you can then cut using the cheap builder policy, and then seven turns to bang on it with a hammer.

It's possibly a little bit broken.

Civilization 6: Beyond Earth 2

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Midnightghoul posted:

I feel like the map seeding in this game is tilted far too much in favor of being random rather than being balanced or fun to play

Ah, the "Endless Legend Approach".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Brannock posted:

another thing entirely to start quoting obscure bloggers for Chichen Itza

Social media is the future.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What is the quote?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Brannock posted:

Chichen Itza: "The Great Ball Court is also very impressive. I would like to have seen them play a game, although it sounds like the end was pretty violent. I think it was safer to be a spectator." -- IslaDeb

Mt. Kilimanjaro: "As it turns out, Mount Kilimanjaro is not wi-fi enabled, so I had to spend two weeks in Tanzania talking to the people on my trip." -- Nancy Bonds

Wow.

Thinking maybe they handed off some/all of the quotes to a freshly graduated "social media expert" and/or intern.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Civilization VI: Mount Kilimanjaro is Not Wi-Fi Enabled

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Efexeye posted:

do any of you play this game without trying to break its systems over your knee? i dunno how you have fun like that but to each their own

Many people do play these games while sober and over the age of 12, yes.

Otherwise I guess maybe you'd miss this kind of obvious stuff?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Efexeye posted:

how the intricate systems don't work exactly perfectly

See this is why you are a douchebag. You using the same level of hyperbole that you accuse whining nerds of displaying.

Large, obvious, and numerous exploits go way beyond "not working perfectly" and you know it. Yeah, if someone says the game is broken they are exaggerating. But it has big problems that any 4x gamer is right to take issue with.

You compare them to fussy board game players. Would you want to play a board game whose mechanics were so full of exploits that they require multiple sweeping house rules just to give the game any integrity?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

counterfeitsaint posted:

Whatever happened to that thing they kept talking about in the promotional stuff, where a barb scout would find your city and then race back to camp?

Don't remember anything like that. But if I saw it I'd probably assume it to be a Murray-ism because lol.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
There are definitely some questionable (or straight up bad) design decisions here but bringing an end to Wonder Factory Capitals is not one of them.

It is a good thing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zomborgon posted:

Yes, the future of culture is just endless iterations on Snapchat and McDonalds.

:stonk:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"This game is good so saying it is bad is OBJECTIVELY wrong"

- A real person

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Efexeye posted:

that's what you took away from that exchange? wow

the dude said 'this is BE with a worse interface'

I said 'no it isn't, BE was objectively much more broken'

no one even mentioned 'good' or 'bad'

I took it that way because you are constantly and fervently white knighting the game against anyone who criticizes it.

Maybe stop doing that. Different opinions are ok.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Every time someone says that AI can never be any good and that losing wars despite having 5x your strength is Just The Way Things Are I imagine an Amplitude Studios employee frantically waving and hollering in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Also Endless Legend has taken the "Civ but with really unique fantasy races bringing interesting playstyles" thing and made it theirs.

It also took the "Civ but with AI that functions" thing and ran off the loving field with it.