Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FilthyImp posted:

Voyager didn't do a Mirror episode, but they did an episode where Janeway is a steel-boxed badass, the Doctor is an Android and Seven of Nine has a a Borg army.

Which is almost as good right right.

Which episode was that? I don't remember that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I wonder what it says about Data, considering he introduced them to eachother.

I presume it was to make O'Brien suffer even more than before as a social experiment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Automatic Slim posted:

You get stuck on the far side of the galaxy because the captain makes a moral decision. You won't be seeing family and loved ones for 70 years if ever, shore leave is rare, holodeck is rationed, encounters with nature nonexistent until you get stranded on a planet with giant predatory snakes because the Kazon have managed to steal your ride home.

Then Janeway makes Neelix the morale officer.

If everyone is busy despising Neelix, they won't be hating eachother. It's genius, really.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lincoln posted:

Hey I had to pause my first-time-Voyager binge viewing for a few weeks, but I'm back on track now, several episodes into season 2, which means I'm now viewing episodes for the very first time (I watched the first season or so when it aired 1st-run). I'll chime in with some more specific comments soon, but I have to say that so far, Janeway is a GOD. drat. IDIOT. I assume based on thread sentiment that doesn't change?

Wait til you see Janeway start getting downright sociopathic towards her own crew.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Apollodorus posted:

Personal log, Stardate 47391.2

I am returning from the bat'leth competition on Forcas III.

The conditions were difficult.

Several contenders were maimed.

But I was triumphant...

I won "Champion Standing."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Chirality is awesome and you should check it out.

Mass Effect actually uses this premise. The Turians and Quarians have a different chirality to the other races.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Figaro posted:

TMP has the crew assemble in a big cargo bay a third of the way through the movie so they can watch clips of the first third of the movie on a big screen ugh. I can't be bothered with it, I liked the bit with the Spock replacement getting turned inside out but all the slooooow majestic shots of the Enterprise and the intense chemistry between the bald wifie and the man leaves me cold. Plus he's a paedophile in 2016

Wait, who is? :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm pretty sure putting Keiko O'Brien in a schoolroom full of innocent children from a variety of species counts as both malicious child abuse and an interplanetary incident.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe it's possible to replicate new ones at great expense, which is why they're always on replicator rations and poo poo because it's all going towards ammo and shuttles.

One thing I loved with Battlestar Galactica is the Battlestars aren't just big military carriers hauling Vipers about, they're mobile logistics and supply bases too. Some poor bastard's day is just churning out bullet after bullet for the Galactica's magazines so it doesn't have to go tearing back home to resupply after a single fight. The Pegasus being able to outright build new Vipers was cool for the same reason, and a good handwave for replenishing the Galactica's squadron attrition over two seasons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I just recently watched for the first time like oh 10 seasons of Stargate this year

I got to where Richard Dean Anderson left in SG1 and about the end of 2 when they started killing people off for no reason. Then I read something and saw that they put tapping in season 3 or whatever and was just like NOPE it was fun while it lasted

Samantha Carter's in seasons 3 and 4, and she's perfectly fine :shrug:. She's not even a full out-in-the-field teammate, she's stuck running Atlantis day-to-day in place of Dr Weir. Woolsey gets stuck with the job in season 5 and it's amazing.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Troi plot element is so goofy as gently caress to me, because on the one hand it's after the writers successfully pushed to reinstate enlisted people, but on the other hand these same writers apparently forgot (or decided to ignore) that just because the medical officers are higher-ranked doesn't mean they're actually in line for command. Like if an aircraft carrier suddenly lost all its senior officers, the carrier wouldn't find itself under the command of Commander Dentist, it'd go to some lieutenant who's actually a line officer. TOS even loving knew about this, when Spock relieved himself he didn't pass command to McCoy, it went to some one-episode Lieutenant.

TNG goes out of its way to show that people can switch departments like they were working for a company, rather than the military, and you even see in All Good Things... that dedicated medical ships exist. LaForge starts off as a console officer on the bridge wearing Red, as does Worf. Hell, even in the JJverse you see Kirk hand over the job of Chief Engineer to Chekov and tell him to put on a red shirt.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've never attempted a BSG rewatch because I'm almost certain my love for the show will completely evaporate. I've only ever watched it once, as it aired.

The first two seasons hold up great. Beyond that you remember all the rare good bits (the mutiny, and maybe the final battle), and the baaaad stretches. Just stop after they escape New Caprica and be happier for it. Also no-one mentioned it, but BSG:Razor's actually a pretty good watch as well.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 13, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trast posted:

SG1, now there is a show that was good for not taking itself completely serious all the time. :3:

Was it mid-season one or the start of season 2 that they beat some sense into the writers to do their own thing and stop Brave New World'ing to compete with Star Trek VOY/DS9? Because boy are some of the first-season episodes pretty clearly trying to go Away Team.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cthulu Carl posted:

The 200th episode man.... Good Times.

I just loved it for finally addressing the Farscape elephant in the room in the best way possible, and while everyone easily guessed what the other shows being ripped off were, they just stared at that one like :wtc:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trast posted:

I know that they had a lot of ex Star Trek writers involved. But as for why they started lightening up I am not sure. Richard Dean Anderson probably had lots to do with as Jack kind of evolved from a bitter hard rear end into someone enjoying how weird his job was. The time loop episode was something special.

They even actually made effort to evolve Teal'c as a character over time instead of being perpetually broody, and got some good comedy out of him too. He just look so drat satisfied smashing that door back in the guy's face after starting god-knows-how-many loops copping it in the face :allears:.

Never mind trying to pitch his own detective show. In-deed!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fat Shat Sings posted:

This is blasphemy to Stargate fans but I've seen all 3 series multiple times and the only episode I consistently skip is the one Teal'C wrote himself where he is a firefighter / detective or whatever.

I'll watch the Stargate Universe episode where they go to a night club or the racist mongolian SG-1 episode before that one.

Also just because my genitals are on the inside doesn't mean my posts are poo poo

That episode reads like a pet project rewritten into barely being SG-1 script, so I dont think anyone would blame you for skipping it. And he was a firefighter, incidentally.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fat Shat Sings posted:

"Oh you are on the verge of death so you get to show off your ACTING. TALENT."

It's like those episodes of TNG or Generations where Brent Spiner obviously wanted to act since his typical character was monotone / flat

Or when Tuvok gets to chew the scenery the few times in Voyager when its an alternate version / reality / emotional breakdown

To be fair, there's an episode in, I think, season 7 with Michael Shanks having to cycle through the dozen personalities stuck in Daniel's head, and he absolutely nails them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Figaro posted:

I'd like to read the female Klingon scientist space blog because it must be poo poo being an intellectual in a society that knocks their foreheads together whilst singing the same three drinking songs. Klingon scientists and engineers keep the power on but they haven't stood against an army of remans on the field of battle so gently caress em

One of the few good moments in Enterprise was stating exactly this. Anyone who isn't a warrior isn't worth poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Farscape at least remained consistent throughout its run. Consistently insane, but still.

The third season lost its goddamn mind completely, but the first, second and fourth seasons were great :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

The little boy who Worf adopts into his Klingon family in one TNG episode was also the drug dealer poo poo from Robocop 2, as well as the voice of LIttlefoot from Land Before Time.

On the topic of Science Fiction shows, are there any good recent ones that have some actual personality to them?

Go give Killjoys a watch. It's dumb fun, and it's well-aware of it. Season one's just okay, but the ongoing second season has been fantastic fun :allears:. Dark Matter's a pretty okay watch too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Maquis were specifically created for Voyager and yet DS9 did way more with the concept than the Voyager crew ever did.

No they weren't, The Maquis have existed since about season 5 of TNG. Ro Laren ran off to join them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Volcott posted:

Klingons used to be space mongolians, but a thing happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xka6IYCpj4E

Trials and Tribblations is a beautiful classic :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shadow puppet of a posted:

Remember your Voyager. Like Shmullus said to ensign Kim, new inter species relationships must be approved by the ship's doctor. That approval process is half checking PH levels for dick-melting alkalinity and half figuring out which meatus to spray the cum into.

If its remotely possible to make a lil' Tuvix, the Federation's top minds will figure out precisely how. No matter how many egg-sacs Harry Kim has to consume like a seahorse.

Hell, even Mass Effect had it down to a science. "Here's a manual on how to bone Thrall/Quarians/Turians. Don't do this, don't insert that there, and most definitely don't swallow".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Apoplexy posted:

Well, you're stupid. Either that or you're not giving it the loving chance it deserves. What poo poo have you watched and liked?

edit: You mentioned Farscape. DS9 is REALLY like Farscape in a lot of ways, especially character-wise. Yes, everyone pretty much an rear end in a top hat, but there's a lot of development that turns their crew into a family and the way the plot unfolds is terrific in each case. Truly two of the best series. Add Babylon 5 to that list, too. Hopefully you've seen that, because it's basically DS9 done with a much lower budget and with a ton of loving weird drug addicts and deafs and drunks and right-wing lunatics and a paranoid schizo all on the cast and it's awesome.

And then came Defiance after Farscape and it was awwwful. It turned the "town of assholes" premise to an artform, with no relationship between any cast member avoiding a good deep backstab per episode. It's possible to have enjoyablr unlikable characters, you just cant have an entire cast of them. Hell, I don't even think they ever outright succeed in a single episode at anything they tried, they all just failed upwards to the finale.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tectonis posted:

Farscape is amazing and if you can't enjoy it what are you doing the trek GBS thread. Also as an enormous nerd I can definitively say the doubler episode in season 3 is where the show gets loving horrible and features Crichton cucking himself. Then along comes peacekeeper wars and daddy o'bannon writes off every character that came after the start of season 3, it was glorious.

Season 3 went right down the shitter after Crichton got doubled, but Season 4 was legit good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I don't remember what seasons are associated with what but the Scorpius in John's head stuff is great.

Especially later when he squishes him up like a basketball and throws him in a dumpster.

Pretty much anything with Scorpius is prime Farscape.

Edit: What was that show (I think from the early 90s) where there are aliens that live on Earth coexisting with humans and water kills them or something. They had leopard spots? I remember liking that show for being a weird detective/sci-fi mix-up.

Edit2: Alien Nation. Alien Nation owned.

Season 4 had Crichton holding an entire Scarran Destroyer, and the Peacekeepers at-large hostage with a pair of hand-made nukes on his belt :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Burning_Monk posted:

Reminds me of Cleopatra 2525, haha what a loving mess of a show. It's was like Futurama without the comedy and Fry is a stripper.

How the gently caress did that show get past a pilot. And which poor intern's soul did Gina Torres drat to Hell in order to salvage a decent acting career after it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There are definitely Vulcan-captained starfleet ships, and in fact there was a Starfleet ship populated entirely by Vulcans in DS9.

They kicked Sisko's rear end at baseball.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Iron Crowned posted:

Spot is the one true space pet :radcat:

One of my favourite bits in TNG is from the episode where the crew are all devolving because of Reg Barclay.

"Why isn't Spot feeding her newborn kittens?" *Camera pans across to an Iguna with Spot's collar*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Iron Crowned posted:

THat was a good episode, I like how Troi turned into a frog and Worf tried to eat them

It also has an insanely out-of-place dark moment for TNG with Worf spraying loving acid in Beverly Crusher's face, sending her falling to the floor clutching her face and screaming in agony. The nurses mention late that she even needs extensive reconstructive surgery because of the damage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

that whole episode was a trainwreck but zerg worf trying to kill everyone because he wanted to mate with frog troi is pretty dope

The episode's a wreck but it has some fun moments. Like everyone devolving through stable transitions, except for Barclay who turns into a mishapen half-man half-spider abomination in constant agony.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wasn't the enemy in the future going to turn out to be Archer himself originally?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gatekeeper posted:

holy poo poo I just realized youre gonna see 'the visitor' for the first time :unsmith: you'd better bring a change of clothes because your eyes are gonna piss tears

I dont remember that one. Which episode is it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Why cookie Rocket posted:

When DID they decide that Worf was raised on earth anyway? Because he sure as poo poo is written and acted as a 100% born and raised Klingon dude for the first couple seasons.

I'd guess the start of season 2, when he wasn't a background character to Tasha Yar going "oh, that darn Klingon and his ways :allears".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Apollodorus posted:

yes, because that is exploration that awaits us

not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of racist shitposting

"Stardate 43375.7: We have arrived in orbit over what we believed to be a newly-discovered world, only to discover the words "first, lol" crudely carved across the southern continent in Klingon writing by disruptor fire. We have responded by phasering "Your cowardly mothers suck Cardie cocks" in Klingon across the orbiting moon, so the colonists are forced to look up and see it every night. We anticipate all-out war in six months, lol".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

corn in the bible posted:

Don't forget the BBC's Arbitrary Time Limit Archeological Dig

To be fair, Time Team had been going for twenty-odd years rather than during the fad years of such shows in the 00's. Plus they're on a BBC budget and visiting other people's homes and public spaces that might need that area back ASAP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hemophilia posted:

I really like DS9 and I watched voyager every night in the early 2000s despite never really absorbing what was going on (i was 10), I don't like 95% of TNG and TOS/TAS is unwatchable. I haven't seen Enterprise because the kid in me is mad that it replaced Voyager even though i hate voyager in hindsight. I feel like the worst trek fan

I only really properly watched the entire run of TNG all the way through for the first time (ie; not as a kid or teenager and missing half the nuances) when it was going round on SyFy recently and appreciated it a whole lot more. I never actually knew Data was the second officer in command, always thought he was just a bridge officer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Barclay used conventional warp tech to jump us to the center of the galaxy instantaneously.

Now did anyone write down how he did it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trast posted:

Does the Worf thing count the one where he keeps time skipping? I like that one.

That one was parallel dimensions, not time. Every so often he'd shift into another universe that gradually kept getting more and more different.

I also like it, though it's a shame Worf only placed 9th in the Battleth tournament.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Triggered posted:

When they separate the saucer how did it receive power? Warp cores on the fat bit right, how did the saucer section manage to power impulse engines, weapons and Shields?

There are secondary fusion reactors and power cells throughout the ship.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lwaxana episodes suck, but only because they're Troi episodes and usually include ten scenes where Lwaxana says something and Deanna rolls her eyes into the back of her head.

The problem is not Lwaxana, she's great. I mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45VAelC_QsI

I don't care if she's only on the show because she knew how to pluck Gene's roddenberries, the character is great. That's why she works in the DS9 episode. It doesn't have to rely on Troi reacting to her mother's antics.

The only good part of the TNG Lwaxana episodes was watching Picard lose his stoic disposition and do everything he could to get the hell out of Dodge.

He'd self-destruct the Enterprise if he could be absolutely certain she wouldn't wind up in his escape pod somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh hey, Aussie SyFy's adding a new Star Trek show on weeknights now that TNG's fully gone arou-oh it's Voyager :sigh:.

Dammit SyFy, don't you know how this goes? DS9, then VOY!