Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Just had an interesting bug, figured I'd share here in case anyone else runs into it.

I was playing a custom game a few days ago, and my ping started skyrocketing randomly. Normally I get like 38-41 or so, but it was shooting way off into the stratosphere to like 300 - 1200 when it got bad. I assumed it was the powerline adapter I'd bought (pro tip: don't buy TP-Link, they're loving garbage), as it was starting to drop internet connection altogether. Un/replugging it fixed it when it dropped the connection, but it always started acting up again later so I just got a different brand adapter off of amazon. That came today and works fine for everything...except overwatch, which continued to have gigantic ping spikes regardless. As far as I know I hadn't installed anything that would interfere or updated any drivers or whatever that would mess with this, so I was kind of confused.

After googling for a bit it turns out the "solution" is to start overwatch.exe from the install directory directly rather than through battle.net, which completely fixed the problem and brought me to my usual ping. I have no idea why it works, but it's such a weird solution I figured I'd share. I think you have to enter your username/password every time if you start the .exe directly, but keepass' autofill worked on the login screen after I cloned an entry to my battle.net info so that's not an issue for me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Up Circle posted:

no my criteria for best sniper does not include that

When people say Ana's the best sniper, they're not talking about pure damage output or how easily the character can rack up kills at range, they're saying that when you look at the characters kits as a whole Ana is by far the best character out of those that can snipe.

Obviously Widow and Hanzo are better at actually getting picks, but what people are saying is that she's the best character in the sniper category, not that she's the best at sniping.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Kai Tave posted:

I'm actually willing to bet that the average Ana pre damage nerf got more kills than the average Widowmaker.

In 1v1s and against characters trying to flank them Ana probably wins even post nerf just because of how op her grenade is, but in terms of actual sniping I'd be hard pressed to agree. I mean, Widow's only good at one thing but she's really loving good at it and gets to do it all match instead of healing teammates and stuff. Plus her ult makes picking off people as they come around corners and such super simple.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Kai Tave posted:

Widowmaker the character has all the potential in the world to go on an unstoppable rampage but in the hands of an average player I doubt that she's as effective because the average player simply isn't going to be that great at reliably and repeatedly landing the critical headshots necessary to do so. Prior to her rifle's damage nerf I'm pretty sure that Ana and a Widow landing bodyshots had the same DPS more or less, with Ana having a slight advantage due to the fact that she can actually quickscope while Widowmaker has to wait for her rifle to charge first. Can you land headshots repeatedly? Great, Widowmaker becomes much better at killing people, but most people are more inconsistent than that.

Uh, if they had the sameish DPS without headshots, doesn't the advantage go to the character that has the capability to headshot dudes who also has an ability that lets her easily get to high places, making headshots a little easier to land? And again, if we're talking about a player with the same skill level on both characters, is Ana just ignoring her team to spend the match sniping? How else is she competing in number kills with a character that doesn't have to worry about that in the first place?

We're just making up hypotheticals at this point though, I'm not disagreeing with you that Widow's super specialized kit is the weaker of the two and Ana's damage already got nerfed so it kind of doesn't matter.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Kai Tave posted:

Character ability isn't really relevant if it's difficult for the player to pull off, is my point. Saying Widowmaker has the potential to go on an unstoppable killing spree is correct, but if it was easy for people to do that games would be dominated by headshotting Widowmakers and she'd be seeing more than a 10% or so pickrate even at grandmaster where people presumably even know how to actually aim. If all you can count on at the average skill level is the occasional accidental headshot whenever instead of deliberately timed and planned picks to support a push or cripple an enemy's push then all the potential power in the world doesn't really matter.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you on that but your original post was this:

Kai Tave posted:

I'm actually willing to bet that the average Ana pre damage nerf got more kills than the average Widowmaker.

So unless you're saying a player who can't get headshots and goes for bodyshots instead on Widow somehow gets less kills per game than the same player on Ana would get despite not having to worry about healing people and the other stuff I mentioned I'm not sure what the point you're trying to make is. I already agree with you that she's got a really high skill floor/ceiling!

e: vvvv Fair enough

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 8, 2017

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Playing comp for the first time in a bit and got a really good chill team, I went soldier and thanks to practicing my aim lately I got some good work in and we pretty much steamrolled the other team on route 66. We were doing pretty great on defense too until our roadhog disconnected for some reason at the first point. I assume it was an actual disconnect, we weren't doing badly enough to get a ragequit.

Anyway, apparently I did so well that despite losing the now 5v6 match in the fourth round I didn't actually lose any SR at the end. Didn't know that was a thing, but it's pretty cool.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Sour Diesel posted:

So I'm generally not a fan of Your Overwatch/Stylosa's clickbaity channels (although Stylosa gives actual decent advice in VODs). But I came across this beautiful video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izlOb-gUpBM

Apparently the guy who sent the VOD in a youtuber/major troll who is dicking around in super low SR games. Stylosa catches on but still reviews it and seeing an attack torb just tear through an entire red team nearly singlehandedly is probably the funniest poo poo I've ever seen. Also the angry voice of one of the dude's teammates is just hilarious sounding when he gets all tilted.

...if he realized it was a troll, why did he keep going with the video? Like, he realizes it five minutes in but he keeps going on and on about bad turret placement the whole time. Why not just...scrap it and do a new video? It's not like it would even inconvenience him since he admits he doesn't actually prepare for his reviews​ and it's all steam of consciousness.

The entire point is that it was a dude intentionally tanking his SR to gently caress around. Of course the other team doesn't know how to deal with him, that's why he keeps making incredibly cocky plays. You'd think by like the tenth time the reviewer dude would have caught on but nope.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Sour Diesel posted:

Yea, the guy who sent the VOD apparently just trolls people on his team in lower SR while he carries them, nothing really funny/special. I just thought it was funny that one Torb was just too much for an entire team to handle...repeatedly.

I'm stuck in silver at that range and I'm not surprised in the slightest. You never know what kind of game you're heading into.

Some games you get people that absolutely dominate and completely wreck teams, some games you get stuff like that reaper that tried running directly into an ulted Torb turret. Sometimes you get amazing teamwork on your or the other team, sometimes that teamwork just completely isn't there or even falls apart midgame.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I haven't had a chance to sit down and do my arcade boxes until now this week and I just found out they took out 1v1 lockout. :(

I really hope that gets put back in. I miss being able to sit down and finish all my arcade wins in an hour and a half like I've been doing the past few weeks. 3v3 is okay but I liked the simplicity of lockout 1v1.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Snazzy Frocks posted:

3v3 lockout is easy

first round pick winston and kill their sniper then their healer and hope your dps can kill their tank

second round pick dva and kill their sniper then their healer and then help your dps kill their tank

third round pharmercy

I didn't say 3v3 was bad or even hard, I'm just saying I personally enjoyed 1v1 more. I'd still rather play that than any other mode if I'm going for boxes.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Yeah, I'm guilty of doing it myself all the time. I usually pick last to help fill in whatever role the other two people didn't, so when it's obvious they're just slam picking whatever I don't bother hitting the confirm button sometimes and just have Zen selected on my screen for example

It's still a dumb thing to do though and I've been trying to stop. Yeah you're leaving your teammates in the dark until the match starts, but more importantly if someone else picks that character the game throws you on a random hero that you probably won't have wanted to play.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z999vmktIU

:eyepop:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Father Wendigo posted:

Translation: "We're moving Roadhog to the Defense category."

Move roadhog to defense, move Mei to tank. Problem solved.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I know before blizzard said the majority of the playerbase was in plat, but I wonder if that's still the case now. I remember people saying it was a lot more difficult to climb this and last season due to a combination of things like less people playing, the people still playing getting better, and the general meta.

On the other hand, I also remember people saying that people in masters/gm were especially bad compared to previous seasons so who knows, I guess.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

wit posted:

Name that youtube channel. Go on.

Your Overwatch

Also I'm going to guess the thumbnail is Torb from the end of the highlight intro where he jumps off his turret with his hammer drawn

E: I was right on the channel but it's been forever since I've watched any of their videos and I didn't realize they're doing headshots for their thumbnails now. God, that channel is dumb

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 18, 2017

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think Torb is pretty decent in the scrub ranks right now. Quite a lot of bad dive teams don't really know how to handle a turret.

Oh, I didn't mean to say Torb isn't great or anything, I'm just talking about that channel in particular because they have some really dumb videos sometimes. The best example that comes to mind is one where the title claimed that if you were a good Winston, you shouldn't need healing. The video playing during the rant contained a bunch of Winston gameplay where he proceeded to only survive half his initiation attempts because he was being healed.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I feel like Rein's charge should win unless Doomfist's punch is fully charged.

So you can't beat it by just clicking in his general direction at 1-2 charge, it's a tie at 3 charge, and at 4 Doomfist just wins outright. The punch charges relatively quickly charge anyway, and if you can predict (or get lucky) and land a fully charged punch on a charging Rein you should be rewarded imo. It doesn't seem like a situation that'll come up that often anyway, but "character X's charge beats character Y's charge" seems like a bad precedent to set

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

What's a comp border, exactly?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oh, okay. Thought it might be a new thing I hadn't noticed yet.

Those change every, what, thousand levels? I'm probably never going to have one myself but I like that they exist. It's always funny running into silver border people that aren't good at the game, but then again that could just mean they always play with a group or like to grind for boxes or something because levels are meaningless

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

What does competitive lucioball mean, exactly? Just that you can get comp points for games? Or does it actually impact your SR?

Not at home, otherwise I'd just log in and check myself.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Cool, thanks. Hopefully they get the patch out quickly that fixes the bug with it, it sounds interesting.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Anybody else getting terrible server-side lag at the moment? Constant 20ms ping and people rubberbanding around and poo poo, really frustrating

Is 20 ping high for you? I normally hover around 38-41.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mei can really gently caress Doomfist up, his large hitbox means he's like a flying roadhog and he's incredibly easy to sink M2s into for free ult charge. I'd put him between Winston and roadhog in how hard they feed into you. Cryo also fucks him up something fierce, since blocking a instakill punch basically means you win the fight unless he immediately burns uppercut/slam to disengage. And I mean immediately, because if he's even a second late it's practically guaranteed as long as you start spraying immediately.

I'm saying she messes with him and not kills him for a reason though, his health pool and shields mean actually finishing him off yourself is rare in my experience if they're the least bit competent without my team following up and melting him once I've thrown off his combo rotation.

So it's just kind of business as usual for her, good at loving with people but mediocre at actually murdering dudes

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

berenzen posted:

This is true, good thing doomfist is neither. Doomfist is actually really healthy for the competitive nature of the game. He peels dive heroes off his support line really well while also having a bunch of counterplay both in the numerous heroes that can trounce all over him as well as being able to be simply played around.

That's not what people are complaining about though. Peeling for his supports is fine, the issue people are talking about is that he's just as good ignoring all that poo poo and just playing excessively offensively. That's why these Tracer/Genji comparisons are being made: he's great in his intended role but he's also surprisingly effective when played like them too and it makes him feel utilitarian and overpowered when honestly I don't think the latter category really fits him.

But then again it's only been what, a couple weeks? Idk that that's enough time to decide that yet.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I didn't say it was, I'm just trying to point out that him being good at peeling for supports isn't usually what people are complaining about.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dogstile posted:

That im willing to play around an Orisa but an Orisa backed up by two very unfriendly DPS is more effort than its worth? We had to switch to Winston, tracer and genji to reliably kill the Cree, is he OP?

I forgot you were a bit further up there in terms of SR for a moment and was about to ask what the heck kind of games you were finding down here in casual land with McCrees able to dominate to that extent.

He's practically useless down here at 2k, and while I feel like I could comfortably play in plat I've already ground out just over a hundred matches for around 500 SR to hit gold for the first time and I really don't have another hundred in this season.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I've never noticed or cared about the fov before but I really dislike how if you're in the center of your goal in lucioball you can't see your entire goal or even both sides at the same time.

I dislike a lot of other things about that mode, but that's probably my biggest complaint. I'm not even sure it's fixable or if it even needs/deserves fixing considering it's a temporary mode and benefits you as much as it does your opponent, but it makes playing goalie kind of frustrating sometimes if you're just starting out. I'm torn between playing the regular mode until I really know what I'm doing and can really do work on a team or just doing all my comp matches asap win or lose and just never touching the mode again.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 15, 2017

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dogstile posted:

Just play comp. A few tips.

1. Aim slightly above the ball when clearing it, you'll knock it into the sky and most players can't intercept
2. Don't clear it towards the enemy goal. Clear it to the corners. This works if you're the goalie or a forward.
3. Watch the enemy goalie "boop". Once he does, it's on cooldown and he can't save poo poo. This is when you should pop your ult and tap the ball in.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

All 3 of those tips are good stuff. Also, don't overlook jump pad/wallriding in get into attacking/defending position very quickly. It's the fastest way to get around the field outside of an Ultimate, and basically the speed of sound when your ult is up.

kumba posted:

If you find yourself on offense with the ball against no one but the goalie, just wait. 9/10 times he's going to waste his boop or jump nervously at some point, and then you have an easy goal.

For the 1/10 when he charges you, punch the ball into the closest wall then get the rebound and boop it over the goalie's head.

Thanks for the tips. :unsmith: I'll give it another go tonight.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

berenzen posted:

Or not, because he actually has generally salient points, he's just a bit abrasive in his posting at times.

Hmm weird how nobody ever complains about the other people that might be taking the same stance he does on any given issue because their posts don't read like they all start with an implied "You dense motherfucker,"

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, but it also limits the extent to which evasive behavior can be skilled.

With overwatch already having zero acceleration, if favoring the defender feels like it'd be an insane buff to characters with smaller hitboxes.

Or am I missing something? I don't really play shooters much so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

:downs: I can't read

I agree on it feeling great to play though. I've never really gotten hooked by a shooter before, but movement in this game tickles that part of me that enjoys fast, twitchy games in a way other shooters never quite did.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dogstile posted:

"look at the size of that thing!"

"Yer makin a chicken out of a feather!"

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Wait, so they took Dva from her state before where people played her much more aggressively and fixed/buffed defense matrix to make her more reliant on it because they didn't like how aggressively she was played, only to now slash its activation time in half and buff her offensive capabilities again?

Like, I like the changes and they sound great but I'm confused what they want her character to be. I thought relying on DM was how they wanted her to play?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Ersatz posted:

D.Va mains never stopped giving them poo poo for replacing her season 3 playstyle with the boring matrix-bot we have now. Blizzard isn't about to admit it, but I think they now recognize that they made a mistake and they're trying to correct it.

In all fairness to season 3 Dva mains, it is pretty dumb that they gave a character a giant mech suit, power thrusters, and close range shotguns, then went "no you're supposed to be shielding your team with defense matrix" and were apparently baffled that most people didn't care to play her that way

E: anyone have a link to the blue post talking about this? Want to surprise my Dva main friend

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thanks!

Kai Tave posted:

For all that people may think I'm abrasive

"Let he who has never gotten worked up about video games cast the first report" - Jesus in the bible somewhere probably

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Just saw on Facebook that the summer games end on the 28th. Is it just me, or is this event really short? Feels like it just started, I haven't even gotten a single skin from it yet.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Manatee Cannon posted:

they've all lasted about 3 weeks iirc, including this one

Huh, maybe I'm just burning out on events/this game in general. I've barely played at all this go round.

Welp, guess it's time to grind some boxes over the next week. The only skins I really want are Soldier and Sombra, if I don't get them I'll just buy a few boxes the last day and cross my fingers. v:v:v

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Something about Lucioball finally clicked for me and I like it now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywBABvLqN8o

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I haven't seen any duplicates since the change, but boxes with grays and blues feel even worse to get than before. At least before when you'd get a dupe of one you got a consolation prize of a few gold, now you just get nothing. Since everything that can come out of them is so cheap to buy outright it just feels like a wasted box most of the time that doesn't even help me towards buying what I want like they used to. Don't get me wrong, I still think this way is better but they need to turn coin drops up by a bit because getting unlucky and not getting the skin you want in a box means the grind to 3k coins is even more of a random slog than it was before.

I managed to scrape enough together to buy Sombra's skin, at least. It's the only event one I got besides Widowmaker's (who I don't play), but thanks game for giving me both of tracer's old summer skins and one of lucio's I guess. :tootzzz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Xarbala posted:

Yes let's make roadhog into an unkillable murder machine that can also delete other tanks with his ult

I agree, revert the roadhog nerfs.