Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I hope this thread sucks less!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Wait this is like the same OP as before

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Brannock posted:

I mean it was a pretty good OP and all the relevant stuff has been updated

It's not bad but no one reads it because it's mostly marketing materials (which is good when it's a hypebuilding prerelease thread, but less so when people start playing it). Then they ask the same dumb questions over and over bc they didn't wade through screenshots of maps to find out what the difference between blue and yellow HP is.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Anyway all that said I'm ready af for my Overwatch break to be over so I'm gonna leave work early today to go home and play

See y'all at the login screen!

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I think the hardest part of this game isn't the hero draft, it's the player draft

Like which of the 800 people on my friends list who are going to be playing this game should I group with and how do I do so without hurting other people's feelings

This hasn't been a problem before because apparently I've never had more than 5 friends who all liked the same game before

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Wangsbig posted:

i have spent a lot of time letting people know exactly where they stand in my heart in comparison to others in preparation for this moment

That's probably a good plan, I should've worked harder in Dota to make sure everyone knew their place on the Brosnan Friend Tier List

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Wangsbig posted:

all i'll say is that you're somewhere above craig k but below seb

Yo I'm better than seb how do I get in on this

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Tatsuta Age posted:

we both know this isn't true

pls don't be rude to me, I really need this

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Lumpy posted:

Hello OP person, can you mention that there is a PS4 community named Goonerwatch that people not worthy of the PC Master Race can join to find other lost souls in the OP? Thanks!

Also, before I knew the game would release a day early, I scheduled a conference call for tonight for the first hour of time I could be playing Overwatch. The struggle is real, friends.

I just said I had a doctors appointment at 4 so I can go home early.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

anime was right posted:

maybe you should move to a real timezone, nerd

I'm in a time zone where I am PLAYING THE GAME EARLIER THAN YOU [technically]

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

anime was right posted:

who wants to fight with me, IDIOTLORD, come overwatch release (or perhaps a bit later because ill be out)

You already know Goonsgarden illuminati will be all over it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

DrSeRRoD posted:

Any non-competitive goons looking to learn the game, heroes, and maps tonight on launch and not too worried about deaths and losses? I'd like to join that group and have fun if so as a Lucio or Mercy.

no, you fucker

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The correct answer is Reaper. Genji is not a tank counter.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
She can buzz around and be annoying but mostly she sucks.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

mcbexx posted:

The penalty is play time, not real time, as far as I can tell.

Maybe don't be a whiny bitch and you won't have to deal with the hilariously mild consequences for being one

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Neutron posted:

Or maybe this type of a drop-in game does not need a leaver penalty for it's unranked mode in the first place.

It's not Dota you know.

Or maybe it didn't have one earlier in closed beta (it didn't) and maybe that lead to lovely player behavior that ruined a much larger number of games (it did) because any time someone didn't feel like they were steamrolling they could just jump into a new game until they found one that would reward their bad playstyle (they did)

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

Does Lucio's speed aura affect the speed of the payload in any way?

It does not.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

XyrlocShammypants posted:

An ult that can climb walls and drop down on some maps with little chance to stop it yes

It sounds like you aren't very good at this game

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Stop posting.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

Specifically being effective and doing anything or helping anyone.

Come up with useful questions if you want useful answers.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

You're being a real Hanzo about this man.

You should be more like Zenyatta, he just goes with the flow, thats why I like him.

That's funny bc Zenyatta and Hanzo's playstyles actually aren't totally dissimilar.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I promise you don't have to play that much to unlock lots of stuff and you'll have enough credits to buy a few must-have items for the heroes you really like

Don't spend another 50 bucks you weirdos

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Zero. posted:

gently caress that I dont even know how to handle a single one.
Also, why choose McCree over Reaper or Soldier 76? You seem to be missing midrange fight potential?

Prolly because McCree is like the strongest midrange hero in the game.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Even the non-ultimate one? That makes a lot more sense.
The non-ult dash only comes back up if you kill someone with it. You were right that stars are for softening people up, but there are many heroes he can't really compete against in wide-open spaces, so you want to toss them around, get in close and quick melee -> dash to finish them off (dashing will cancel the recovery animation of your melee attack, making your effective burst higher). If they aren't low enough for you to be fairly confident that melee -> dash and another quick melee or star throw will kill them, then you don't want to burn dash because then you're losing your best escape tool. His double-jumps and wallclimb also let him scramble back out of bad situations, but like Zarya, you should always be acutely aware of your cooldowns and make on-the-fly decisions about whether to commit them to a kill or use them to get away and regroup.

Tenzarin posted:

Genji is a ranged character.
Uh, sort of.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Oh man, I need way more time to consider which character I'll spend $5 on a new Avatar for. This is a big commitment.

edit: Ooh, does Genji's melee do more damage than other characters?

It does not, sadly. But he is better at jumping around like a retard, which makes it easier to smack people with. (Really though, your bread-and-butter damage comes from throwing ninja stars at people's heads until you can seal the kill.)

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

Some kind of shame alarm should start ringing if someone votes for themselves in the mvp card section thing at the end

Ain't no shame in feelin your own game

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

FordCQC posted:

Can someone give me tips on how to get kills with Genji's ult? I feel like I swing at air way too much and die.

Kill supports first, use dash more aggressively than you do outside your ult (it resets on any kill during Dragonblade, so you can use it to initiate on new targets), jump around a lot so you're hard to track, don't spend the whole time swinging at a tank, and try not to spaz out too much.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Is there a way to save those highlights? I was hoping i could download them as a video or something.

Not yet, but it's a known feature request for the devs. The Highlights list itself was just added in the home stretch of beta, so they definitely want to do more with it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Also Shadowplay is pretty cool in general, though when I last tried it, it didn't really work if you're running the game in Windowed Borderless. (The workaround is to tell it to capture your entire desktop, but then it'll also record when you alt tab, sound from non-game sources, etc.)

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

nerox posted:

I was playing Genji over my lunch break and having a lot of fun reflecting widowmakers, Hanzos, bastion's, and other annoying bastards to death. Beyond murdering people with reflect, what's the best way to use Genji?

I was pretty much running up walls and harassing, but didn't feel like I was getting a lot of kills doing it. Blade strike was good to finish off guys occasionally or a quick getaway. I really never could find a good use of his ult.

So anyone got some Genji tips for me?

If you can't find any posts in this thread with succinct "stuff to do with Genji" guides then I don't know what to tell you.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

gandlethorpe posted:

However, I feel like her skillset is a little underdeveloped compared to other heroes. Maybe I underestimate them, but shield and M2 feel underpowered to me. Am I missing something? I get that shield gives a permanent 25 hp, but that's usually like half an attack's worth of damage. And M2 only seems to hit people if you're lucky or they're stupid. It is fun to catch people off guard point blank or rounding a corner, though.

M2 goes through shields (like Reinhardt's). Knowing this, do the needful.

25 HP is enough to make targets who die to a single Widowmaker body shot take 2 shots instead, and that is an enormously important difference. When it was a 50 HP shield (in beta), it was so good on low-HP heroes that they had to nerf it. (In case you're unaware, shield HP regenerates when the player is out of combat, so it's not just a one-off 25 HP bonus.)

Papercut posted:

barely use her M1 (because if I'm that close to an enemy then I hosed up).

Her M1 is extremely strong but it is based on sneakiness and momentum. Using it in conjunction with her traps is how you gently caress up tanks who breach choke points.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The more you care about a publicly visible scoreboard the more likely it is that you're the kind of bag of poo poo that made them not want to have one.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

It's interesting to see the differences in opinion between pros vs. "casuals" (I dislike using that word, but can't think of a better option).

Mei being one of the best examples; reddit found her wickedly overpowered, but she's considered one of the worst heros by pros.

Mei and D.Va are both mediocre heroes who are really popular with the kind of players who j/o to videogame chars

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Bolivar posted:

There are lots of chars in the brawl that I enjoy, including my 300 HP Ifrit Zenyatta. Funny how he suddenly becomes playable when you don't die to a single bodyshot. Good reminder that I'll probably spend a whole lot of my weekend doing the brawl. Especially since it only lasts a week and A LOT of the brawls are utter poo poo. I didn't play closed beta, but I saw a list somewhere and holy crap how it was full of brawls that can't possible be fun for more than an hour. Like "everyone is Genji or Hanzo on Hanamura, enjoy". Like what the gently caress, that's like pub from hell.

I can confirm that that brawl sucked.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

MY ABACUS! posted:

Do any "gamers", Korean or otherwise, find D.Va's personality endearing?
It's like network TV police procedural levels of misunderstanding a youth culture.

I mean would it make you feel better if they dropped her voice lines in favor of her saying "git gud fgt fuccboi" and "uninstall friend of the family trash" in allchat?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

mcbexx posted:

Why doesn't the game have a built-in "Upload PotG to Youtube"-Button?
Seems like a huge overwatchsight.

Brosnan posted:

Not yet, but it's a known feature request for the devs. The Highlights list itself was just added in the home stretch of beta, so they definitely want to do more with it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Zarya shields cancel and block Mei frost.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah I knew that, was just curious if it could be rotated.

You can't; forcing it to be dropped facing you turns out to be a pretty elegant way to ensure that players aren't placing teleporters that face walls or sit on cliffs (except one time when a friend managed to somehow accidentally do this anyway).

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

TheTofuShop posted:

I've heard a couple of the pro players talking on stream about blizzard devs looking at nerfs for McCree and buffs for D.va, I can understand McCree, but I'm having loads of success as D.Va. She doesn't work as well on defense, but she breaks up defenders so well with all her mobility. I guess you could lower the cool down on her E to give her some more tankyness.

She sucks but it's not a problem when the people you're playing against aren't good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I think Genji is honestly less of a counter than people say. It relies on Bastion not being shielded and not being dumb as rocks if we're talking about the reflect. He can peek and hit with left click but several people can do that more effectively

Reflect is the counter to bad Bastions and it works great for that; coming in from the side and dashing in for right clicks and melee is the counter to good ones.