Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

-The PSVR has more asymmetrical games where one person is in the headset and others are using gamepads watching the TV. The Rift has almost nothing like this.

Can you list which games have this feature? Sounds like a lot of fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Stick100 posted:

They also communicate using Bluetooth, so you need a good Bluetooth connection on your computer. I've done some VR talks and in one there was bad EM interference and the WMR controllers would hardly work (I got 3DOF but not 6DOF) while they work fine on that computer in other circumstances. For my main VR desktop, I had to get a Bluetooth USB dongle and the controllers hardly work at all. I had to get a USB extension and even then the controllers only track when within a couple of feet of the Bluetooth USB dongle.

Just a heads-up that Bluetooth connection strength is the Achilles heel of WMR tracking.

I can't speak to em saturated environments but in my experience wmr bluetooth has had the opposite problem where when I try to switch between computers in different rooms the controllers will pair with the previous computer they were used with. The fact they have to be in front of the headset is the worst part, you can't really use a bow and arrow realistically because it loses track of the drawing hand

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

apparently the original demo game was Superhot. fair enough, Superhot is gonna be pretty much the killer app for VR. where this becomes a problem is when the Superhot VR demo makes you shoot yourself in the head, like in the ending of the flat version. this apparently got the MS store in a lot of loving hot water, and they had to take the Vive demo out of the running and figure out a different game, which wound up being God-Awful Ping Pong.

lmao

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Big VR sale just started on steam. Looks like just about everything vr is discounted.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

its f2. getting into vr has really made me hate the current developer trend away from providing any out-of-game documentation for controls and gameplay. some vr games dont even have a main menu, so if theres something you cant figure out its down to trawling through steam forum posts

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I decided to get the windows 10 april update early and I have to say vibration feedback on wmr controllers is very nice to have. it feels pretty subtle compared to what your arms are doing in, say, boxvr but it's way better than the previous absence.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Tried my first racing game in VR, dirt rally. After the arduous setup process to get it in a wmr headset it's the most fun I've had in vr yet. Now I'm going all in on assetto corsa while its on sale.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

We need a new SWAT game for vr, ideally with built in voice recognition

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

What's good for non-roomscale? Got the lenovo WMR headset when they were on nonsense sale and it's p nice but I have a tiny baby den in which to play so things I can do sitting down are preferable. I've been wanting to play Eve:Valkyrie since it launched but apparently nobody plays it anymore :(

Dirt rally is really good, but you need to run revive to use it in wmr.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Another wmr user here, I've run first contact and dirt rally just fine with revive just running on a 970

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Carly and the reaperman is one of the best coop games I've played. It really leans into the asymmetrical aspect, good communication is essential. If you have a local coop partner pick it up asap.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the number of 3d printed parts in my dell visor setup is increasing rapidly, but I got it for like $130 used, so whatevs.

I'm working on a better battery cover for wmr controllers that should improve the grip a bunch, i'll post it here if people care

make it cover the windows button and I'll pay you for the design

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

App13 posted:

Any thoughts on picking up an Acer WMR headset for $150?

I traded my OG vive+DAS for a 2015 macbook pro, but I'm still getting that beatsaber and pavlov itch and was thinking this may be able to scratch it.

i have that set and its good, i payed 100 more for it and feel it was worth it. especially after the win10 april update, it does everything you would want except track the controllers behind your body. the headset is pretty comfortable as well. my ipd is within its range though, you should check that out first or it might be uncomfortable. ill answer any other questions you have about it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

App13 posted:

I have a dead average ipd so I'm not too worried about that, thankfully. How much does the headset move around while it is on you're gaming and moving around?

It doesn't move around too much. If you get sweaty and youre moving around a lot it will start to slide around a bit, you can tell when it gets out of focus. but its a one-hand tightening thing so you can really cinch it down even when youre in the middle of something. get a good fit at the start (put the eyepiece part on, click the headband down over your head, make sure the back is below the bump at the back of your skull, tighten) and youll be good for a while

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Wheezle posted:

How do you go with crouching? I have a friend with the Dell WMR headset who seems to frequently get tracking failures when he crouches.

I've had issues looking down and crouching, if you have a solid-colored floor the tracking cameras won't have enough edges to track. No issues crouching if looking somewhere where there is contrast.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

If I pick up one of the WMR headsets, the HP is the one that seems good- are regular SteamVR games going to pose a problem? Will I be able to do the shield swap in Space Pirate Trainer? Are there any hacks to let Rift-only games play on other headsets?

You can absolutely do that shield swap. Revive is the hack to get oculus games working and it has worked fine with wmr ime

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Boxman posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if the Xbox team has gotten real gunshy at pushing envelopes. HD-DVD and Kinect 1.0 were more or less failures for the 360, and Kinect 2.0 and their push to an always connected console did a lot to harm Xbox One's early months.

I think it's just Microsoft being Microsoft where the left hand never knows what the right is doing or being actively hostile towards it. Wmr is a significantly better experience than psvr, they developed all the drivers etc in house, what could it cost to put out a splitter box with bluetooth (I assume an Xbox one doesn't already have bluetooth)? Optional full body tracking if you have a Kinect would put it at an advantage over even rift or vive.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

While the Xbonx might be able to do it, I doubt the xbone could. That doesn't really jive with Microsoft's plan of games working seamlessly between their console generations.

Doesn't wmr have a specific low quality vr spec that allows use with integrated graphics? Use that as the Xbox one baseline and the high spec for Xbox one x. Psvr does something like that anyway on the ps4 vs pro. Or only allow games that can run with simplified geometry and textures. There is no hard and fast reason an Xbox one couldn't support a headset.

Just imagine gears of war horde mode in vr

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

rage-saq posted:

Microsoft was planning on bringing WMR to the XboneX, but, they officially cancelled it.
I'm sure WMR is not far behind.

Your probably right but even if wmr never gets updated, that's good enough for a $200 all in one vr system. It's very Microsoft not to take advantage of this natural synergy between two of their own products.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Nullsmack posted:

Windows 8.1

:prepop:

Don't want to shame someone's personal computing choices but there's no reason not to upgrade to win10

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

a 970 can drive a headset with 1440x1440x2 resolution. You will be fine

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

plape tickler posted:

Thanks for the info and for recommending cheap chinese garbage. :hfive:

edit - Thumper isn't VR on pc yet? That sucks.

It absolutely is

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I'm looking at grabbing a PSVR shortly.

I know you can get it working on PC with the Move Controllers, but does the option exist where I can purchase Vive controllers down the track and use a bastardised PSVR+Vive Controller setup for PC games?

Last time I looked into this there was no 6dof tracking nor move controller support for psvr on PC, how does it work now?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Harminoff posted:

Anyone able to get dirt rally working with the monoculus?

Did you set up revive? Dirt rally uses oculus rift something or the other, it doesn't do vr through steam

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Harminoff posted:

So I got revive set up and I do get the game to come up but there is some overlay from I think steamvr saying there is no button mapped and I can't interact with that menu?

in steam open up the properties of dirt rally turn off desktop vr theater and maybe steam overlay for good measure. btw there will be a popup on your flat screen saying it doesnt support vr or something but you can just ignore that

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

I decided to try out Subnautica, and it seems like a really well put together VR side to it... except the pad and everything I pick up is an inch away from my face. Is there a setting that might fix that? I feel like my head is right above my virtual shoulders so I don't think the issue is that I just need to lean back.

Subnautica vr is busted in that respect, but the blog post they put out recently said that the next update they do should provide options for changing the PDA & etc. distance

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

What is that "Jingo" game supposed to be? Worms for nationalists?

In case anyone was still wondering about this, it pretty much is first-person worms. limited movement points/time per round, all your guys share an ammo pool. there were some questionable accents and the fov was set too high, but you can physically move behind cover in roomscale if someone is shooting at you so that's kind of cool.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

Every single sensor for the lighthouse system has its own ASIC behind it, as it has to read that its detected the light, then relay that information and its timing, along with the usual haptics and wireless controller functions. The touch controllers just have to have send a dumb pulse to series of LED's with no computations needing to be done.

The real one that puzzles me is the WMR controllers needing 2 batteries each and only lasting like 5 hours apparently.

They last a bit longer than that. But AAs have a lot less energy density than lithium batteries, so I would guess it's that combined with running a high-rate bluetooth transmitter, imu, and the fairly bright LEDs. A good comparison would be the DS4 controller which also gets not great battery life compared to an Xbox or Wii u pro controller

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Stick100 posted:

I think the question is how they need 2 batteries and last 5 hours while doing effectively the same things (send Gyro data, and light up LEDs in a pattern) as the Touch that uses 1 battery and lasts weeks if not months.

I didn't realize the touch also used AA batteries. Good on oculus

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Audioshield doesn't have custom made tracks or as crisp controls as the rest...

But it will make a playable track out of any thing you have, including youtube videos and 90s ska mp3s. That's pretty rad.

They removed YouTube integration unfortunately

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shine posted:

Holy poo poo, Diner Duo is tons of fun, especially when your wife is an experienced server/cook and can remember like 15 orders at once. Anybody who likes local co-op should get it.

lmao my girlfriend worked at a restaurant and thinks people who enjoy that type of game are brain damaged (I actually like the in-genre space ice-cream truck game)

Give Carly and the reaperman a try

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

PSA for vr people who don't unplug their headset: if you're trying to get forza horizon 4 working but it crashes before even loading the game, unplug your headset.

Goddamn I wish Microsoft would push it's first party developers to integrate wmr, forza horizon in vr is my dream game

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The PSVR is a pretty nice piece of kit for something that's basically a frankensteined accessory for the PS4. Rez Infinite is amazing in VR, and now I wish that Child of Eden wasn't an X360 exclusive so that might get the same remastering treatment :sigh:.

I just wish it didn't have the PS3 beep when it turns on. I have... feelings about that beep after so, so many accidental button presses on my PS3's media remote.

Child of Eden was definitely on ps3 and supported PS move. Not sure it has the cultural cache of Rez to get a remaster though

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

And if you gave it a real name for your profile it would whisper that name whenever someone died

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Orange Sunshine posted:

It looks like the geniuses who designed the Oculus Go, in their mighty wisdom, decided that you shouldn't be able to type a credit card number into the Oculus go using its own controller, which means I have no way of buying apps from the Oculus store. I could go to any random website in the world and type a credit card number in using the controller, but of course not anything in the Oculus store. Certainly not, that would be crazy.

Is there a way to buy Oculus Go apps using a computer and then transfer them to the Go?

Why don't you just get a cheap used android phone? you can probably get one off ebay for $20 that can at least run this one app you constantly need.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Danith posted:

Thanks for this, I was considering getting them as I don't have the space in my computer for a USB card, and don't feel like running cables all over for the camera. Is the sweet spot better on something like the RIFT and VIVE?

You do need a usb3 port for wmr headsets

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I finally got beat saber and it crashes steamvr within 30 seconds of starting a song. I know it's early access, does this sort of issue just pop up on some builds?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

SwissCM posted:

Beat Saber has never been anything but rock solid for me. Are your drivers up to date?

Turns out third time was the charm and it ran fine for 45 minutes until I manually quit. Fun game!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I updated Windows to 1809 finally and everything is fine, but it din't fix one issue I've been having before that. Some SteamVR games just won't launch into VR / at all.
  • Accounting opens a black window on the desktop and I can hear some sounds, but in VR its' stuck on the Stream loading screen
  • The Lab just opens a window with a list of games on the desktop, but clicking them does nothing
  • Nvidia's funhouse is also gets stuck on the loading screen
  • Probably one or two others that I'm forgetting. But most SteamVR games work fine, like In Death or Onward.
Accounting actually works (or worked, and very slowly) on my laptop with the same headset (Odyssey), but it never did on my main desktop machine. Has anyone experienced this?

I use a different wmr headset and haven't experienced that as far as I recall, and I have played the lab and accounting+. Are you in the steamvr beta branch, or the wmr for steam vr beta branch? Try messing around with those settings. Also, are you starting them from the steam desktop window, or from within steam vr? I always start from steam vr home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Unit24 posted:

Did a few more tests. The resource monitor shows the CPU usage spiking dramatically when the problems start happening, I see the SteamVR window constantly switch between being normal and "unresponsive", and when I take the headset off and put it down for a bit, the game goes back to normal temporarily.

I don't know what all of this points to.

Are you using the windows resource monitor or the steam vr fps display? You might be able to suss out more useful information from the fps monitor. Maybe check your CPU temperatures too, see if it's throttling.