Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dang, I didn't even know there was a Kickstarter thread here (or 3).

I didn't see it in the last few pages, but I am currently backing "I C E", a French game with stunning art: Players play archaeologists who are excavating (literally, the board is layers of hexes that you remove to reveal more layers) an ancient civilisation.

It's in the last 40ish hours, maybe someone here's interested.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thisway/i-c-e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Jedit posted:

That looks very pretty, but I checked out when I saw that the stretch goals unlocked different backs for the tiles that are randomised during setup, including unique backs for each of the edifices on the bottom level. These people are loving idiots who have wrecked their own game for the sake of bling.

That seems to be a misunderstanding - "backs" refers to what you're revealing when you turn them over from their unrevealed side (the "front"). The edifices also bring a "legacy lite" aspect in that they add a small rule to your next game.

You can see the setup here, unless I'm the one who completely misunderstood the stretch goal, that's not what's happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b-obm72lQQ

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Any of you backing Witcher: the Old World? I'm still in currently but the usual "oh here's three more expansions that double the price" in combination with the studio's relative inexperience is making me re-think.

Of course huge projects have worked just fine even from first-timers, and they don't seem to be falling into the "overpromise trap", but I dunno. I like that it's a shorter game, not yet another endless campaign nobody will ever have time to play. I like that it's a streamlined Runebound, a game I enjoy.

I don't like that the "mini-less" basic box pledge is essentially pointless as all the stretch goals and expansions have miniatures (and I know myself too well to pretend I'll stick to just the base box). It's also silly that the expansions aren't compatible with each other or the co-op mode.

What are peoples' thoughts? Are you sticking with it? Dropping it? Never even backed in the first place? I'm having a hard time deciding, but that there's still no rulebook is pushing me off the fence towards cancellation.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mojo Jojo posted:

Unless you're in live with the minis there's no reason to back until you see a rulebook. Right now it has all the hallmarks of a typical "box o minis with a rules sheet stapled to it"

Yeah, that's my current impression as well. Typing it all up has helped me decide to cancel, actually. If it's good it'll be out in retail.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Yeah, I wasn't backing because OMG THE WITCHER, but because it sounded like a streamlined Runebound in a setting I like, but overall y'all are right. Money saved!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Yeah, getting out was a good idea confirmed.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lawlicaust posted:

Holy poo poo the price on the Witcher all-in pledge is nuts and this is coming from someone who buys almost all Awaken Realms all in pledges and bought Marvel Heroes All-in. Definitely sending up so red flags as others have mentioned.

Edit: I just checked back at some of those other kickstarters. The base box for those was substantially less as were the expansions for more content from seasoned developers. This is outrageously expensive.

Not just that but
- trying to please the baying morons always goes wrong in some way
- all-in-only exclusives
- still no rules
- expansions not compatible with each other
- "we're going to make it better but no idea how, we'll tell you in a few months!"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Eyes Have It posted:

The Witcher campaign sends daily updates that are several "pages" long, every drat day. I've been just deleting them on sight because they never have anything to do with e.g. gameplay.

50% of each of them is "we listened to you and made things worse!"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I usually forget there even is a video.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

potatocubed posted:

Actually, to expand on this with a pet peeve of mine -- don't put important information in images only. I can't remember which KS it was that did that but I was trying to Ctrl-F through their page for something and couldn't, because that info only appeared in one of their infographics.

Turns out this is apparently mostly because Kickstarter has a relatively tight character limit for the campaign page, and that's how you get around it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Doctor Zero posted:

It’s also how you alienate and piss people off just because you can’t write tight copy.

How will you fit the 69,105 stretch goals??

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Thanlis posted:

It is nonetheless bad accessibility and somewhat ableist. There was a Kickstarter a while back that had literally no text, just images and… ow.

The real answer is for Kickstarter to fix their garbage-rear end website (campaign pages, THE COMMENTS, allow campaign runners to kick especially insufferable people out of the campaign unilaterally), but why would they as long as they keep raking in the money?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

fischtick posted:

We're doing our part! Our electric kettle even has ~6 different temperature settings for different tea types. Also on board that Chai: Tea for Two kickstarter ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzkvVXr8nH4

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Arivia posted:

My mom has this and it's amazing, does everything it says it does.

I do too, and I agree! I also have a Zojirushi rice cooker because I'm a loving kitchen nerd.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

It's not just the shipping cost, it's whether you get a spot at all, too, apparently. Like, they'll tell oh "oh for sure man" then just not load your stuff, and if you don't actively check, you won't know.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Aphrodite posted:

I saw this in an email from a thing I kickstarted. I'm not in Norway so it doesn't affect me, but I'm curious what the reason is. Anyone know?

(It's the Marvel United X-Men expansion so I doubt it can be that photoediting declaration one.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApOz6BaW2lU

e: People in Kickstarter comments are also saying it's only Shipquest that has these problems.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 9, 2021

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

mllaneza posted:

In non-duck news, the WOW Buildings creator is back, for a Chernobyl-themed set of terrain.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wowbuildings/wow-buildings-goes-radioactive-in-chernobyl-3d-stl-files/description

There's also a set of modular building elements and some great looking ruins.

Oh man, this takes me back to the papercraft models of nuclear reactors that a nuclear power company sold in Germany. Up until Fukushima happened.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Received Orange Nebula's Unsettled today. Excellent components and Game Trayz storage. Hoping to bring it to the table tomorrow.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Vidmaster posted:

Nice! I’m really excited for Unsettled and hope you post a review when you get it to the table. I really liked Vindication and the company seems really solid, so hopefully it’s as enjoyable!

We played it 4P and lost, but not as badly as I expected after the rapid dwindling of time at first. We had a bit of bad luck with the terrain right next to the starting tile, and obviously needed to learn what to do where and when, but the efficiency of our turns, especially with all the additional actions coming in, became notably better as the game progressed.

There's a bunch of annoying small typos and omissions in the rulebook, but only one thing is outright wrong, and everything is correct on all the player sheets. I was able to recite 90% of the rules from memory after reading the rulebook once, in about 20 minutes, then looking up details as needed.

We all enjoyed it. I assume the first survival task (of 3 each) on a planet will help you learn about the cards enough to aid you with the other two, but each planet is different from the others. I think this'll offer a ton of gameplay, and it's good that they don't make the first scenario a cakewalk that nobody would want to ever replay.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Maybe their redefined strategy shouldn't have been "fail as hard as possible"?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

Seriously considering requesting a refund.

This is worse than the Terraforming Mars Big Box tiles. I'd definitely request one.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

90s Cringe Rock posted:

What happened with those?

Promise:

Reality:

Also the box is very badly designed: sometimes doesn't hold sleeved cards of the optionally purchaseable sleeves, doesn't hold the assembled tiles, and at one point just gave up and added two "just ditch the rest in here" wells (while providing a dedicated well for the optional-buy first player marker to waste space). There's like a dozen STLs for organizing the stuff they were too lazy to organize in their own Big Box on Thingiverse.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 28, 2021

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

dwarf74 posted:

Oh wow those aren't even anywhere near "reddish"

I was going to go find Fryxelius' "well ACTUALLY Mars is kinda yellowish" excuse but instead found the fuckup thread has been expanded by "my tiles are falling apart" and "the sleeves split when you try to shuffle the cards".

...oh, and they accidentally packed the metal cubes separately. No, separately.

e: found a close-up

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The bags were an honest mistake, but everything else is being more or less hand-waved. This box was handled by Stronghold Games for some reason, they've always been garbage and I've no idea why anyone does business with them.

It doesn't help their reputation either that the German publisher for TFM is an absolute assclown who absolutely has to go his own way with everything instead of participating in the multilanguage Kickstarters, and refuses to provide gaming stores with various goodies - you can only buy the better boards directly from him, for example.

At Spiel '18 or '19, he announced he'd be bringing "enough of the expansion for everyone" and was completely sold out after 3 hours or so. Dipshit.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

How do you miss the opportunity to have your pawns transform into a different piece when they get promoted? How?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

nonathlon posted:

Gaming tables are one of the great scams. Like you produce a table, gesture at some features like cup-holders and say "1000, 2000 or something yeah and we'll deliver in a year".

They are all singularly awful, who wants to bend over the table, awkwardly leaning on the thin sides, to play a game in a LED-strip-lighted hole?

My brother and I designed one ourselves that is just a normal table with a lid to put on it (essentially two table surfaces with the top one having vertical slats to create a space between them). It's awesome and cost a fraction of the existing ones.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The old adventure game Shadowgate, last seen remade in 2014, is getting a board game. The graphic design is, uh.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

StarkRavingMad posted:

The 8-bit replacement cards are pretty good (at least as someone who played the video game way back when), wish they had done the whole game like that from the start

Shame about the Diablo knock-off font that's still on the items though

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I love Nigel Buckle's previous game, Omega Centauri. Turczi is obviously good.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Doctor Zero posted:

I swear most people must not actually read any of that and just mash Pledge if it looks cool. Which I suppose must work otherwise projects wouldn’t do that. :iiam:

You're probably right, I once pledged for something that had a note at the end saying "if you actually read to here, e-mail us and get a freebie" and only a tiny handful of people ever did according to the creator.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The description of Offensive Adult Party Game alone is worth your time reading this.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

I think Paint the Roses is one of those games that I could play with any age group and any skill level, and still have a blast - I'm not trying to be wanky about it, but I feel it's a game that belongs in everyones collection.

I'm coming to recognise that I won't gush about something this much unless I really enjoy it and want others to back, and I am totally gushing about how good Paint the Roses is right now.

Any idea how much of the art is in the base game? Words cannot describe how much I hate the character art.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Tsilkani posted:

A challenge for the thread: can you figure out what this kickstarter is actually for?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hooligansco/faros-lounge-fantasy-sports-cards-world-series-showdown

I had to stop reading when my eyes glazed over so... the new Manowar album?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

Worth A Look
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim The Adventure Game - Looks semi-interesting, but I'm sure there's better things on the market that does the same. All in plege is £220 and of course there are a bajillion minis at the higher tiers

Had a bit of a look and

quote:

C'mon Modipius, you are the only company who sells crappy miniatures in the base game to make people buy the miniature expansion. The game is already pricey as is, you can at least give us some decent minis in the base box. I hope the map is cardboard and not paper like Fallout.

quote:

Very disappointing that the miniatures are not new and are the same as the ones created for another game

:yikeseroo:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Jedit posted:

I was out when I saw that it included the middle class. There is no such thing; the middle class are just workers who have been convinced that they're capitalists.

A friend I showed this too was wondering about that too, and I said the middle class are workers with only one job.

Also the victory conditions for the state are hilariously incorrect.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ogdred Weary posted:

In what way?

Help everyone instead of cozying up to the billionaires and pocketing as many bribes as humanly possible before taking a well-paid board member post at some big company.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

Is there any way to report these to KS for potential fraudulent activity?

You can try with the "report" feature but I have a feeling KS doesn't give a poo poo if their 10% are going to be huge.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

My "100% legit" profile has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my profile.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

After an odyssey, my copy of Eila and Something Shiny is here. Good production values!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Played an online "campaign" of Townsfolk Tussle and I don't know how I missed that Kickstarter. I hope they do have a second one eventually :sigh:.