Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hauki posted:

Oh hey, the last 25% of my click clack lumberjack finally shipped after only 9 months of delays, stubborn lack of communication and reused components from the previous game.

You'd think for a game that was literally already published minus minor rules changes and given that they apparently still had components sitting around a warehouse from that publication they were planning on reusing, it would've been a little smoother.

Lucky you. I just got Tokaido Collector's Edition yesterday, 18 months late. I paid for it in March 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Wow, I saw a Collectors Edition in Orc's Nest in That London a few months ago.

That would be an unpainted one. The ones with painted minis came later.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

How late in the kickstarter did you order? At this rate, I'm going to have to have it forwarded to my new house.

About halfway through. I was backer 2863.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Seems someone saw the Game Canopy and liked it. So they made their own, and is going to provide the plans for free.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

Anyone got any thoughts about Anachrony? It's ending in about a day and it seems like an interesting sci-fi worker placement game. Rahdo really loved it and the miniatures to slip your cardboard tokens into seem like a silly but fun addition.

A lot of people liked their previous game, Trickerion, although there were complaints of slightly excessive fiddliness. I like the look of it, although it's not quite as original as you think: the time travel mechanic was handled almost identically in Eclipse: Shadow of the Rift.

If you're on the fence and have played Trickerion, you can get that game and its expansion as an add-on for less than online retail cost.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

And it's still made nearly a million dollars in a day.

I wonder how many people actually play the CMoN games, how many people don't play them and instead just paint their big box of random minis, and how many spend all that money to get a big box of minis that never leaves the closet?

I don't buy CMON minis games, but I do play Dogs of War and World of Smog reasonably often and Guilds of Cadwallon from time to time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

Goon project Star Bastards funded :toot:

I'm still uncertain how this project is meant to kill or maim several children.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

The Tanto Cuore campaign is actually doing five campaigns at once, including local crowdfunding sites for each of the new translations they want to do. Has anybody ever done anything like that before?

Giochi regularly run campaigns on their own site alongside the Kickstarter. The KS is usually for the English language edition and their own campaigns are for foreign language as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Tanto Cuore isn't really all that bad a game. It falls into the pile of games that are "Dominion but..." [...] If this were to have a bland and generic theme like Dominion, it'd probably have not received as much attention, but it'd probably get more play in more public gaming groups.

If Tanto Cuore had a bland and generic theme like Dominion then it would be Dominion, because Tanto Cuore literally is Dominion reskinned with anime tittygirl art. Stop defending it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jmzero posted:

It makes me respect you more to know you haven't played that game, but my understanding is that you're actually wrong on this (though I haven't played the game either). I believe it actually pioneered the "entomb" mechanic later seen in Valley of the Kings. The mechanic was, uh.. themed differently.. but I remember game design people thinking it was an interesting idea at the time, and that it was implemented well in this terrible, terrible game.

I'm sorry if this gives you some sort of cognitive dissonance pain that there are sometimes good parts to bad things.

OK, that I was not aware of. What I am aware of is the time someone put up pictures of half a dozen or more Dominion cards next to their exact clones in Tanto Cuore, and the gushing early review on BGG that said "Copper, Silver, Gold, Estates and Provinces all cost $1 more, so it's a totally different game, guys!".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

That model is a anomaly, and not indicative of the product line - it was a add-on sculpted by known cheesecake artist, Palo Parente. While there are a few topheavy models or an exposed midriff, most are clad pretty conservatively, and many are pretty drat austere for a miniatures game:

Dressed, yes, but it's telling that the big girl is the only one who can keep her knees together.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

If you have any inclination at all about kickstarting Petersen Games' (of Cthulhu Wars fame) Gods War, sign up here for a free figure (if you Kickstart for at least $125): http://petersengames.com/the-gods-wars-kickstarter-sign-up/

That's a really nice sculpt. Pity I don't want The Gods War.

It should be noted that the $125 pledge is the one that gives you the base game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

This is looking really good, a remake of TSR's Battle of Britain:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1992455033/battle-of-britain

I saw these guys demonstrating it live and it looks like a good time. I'm on the fence about backing right this minute because I'm a bit poor but £50 seems a good price.

Richard Borg. If I was a wargamer and buying anything right now, I'd be sold.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Read that as "Richard Bong" at first and wondered what the leading US ace of WW2 had to do with the game.

Well, that gives a whole new meaning to "Aces high", doesn't it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

malkav11 posted:

Except Hex, which is amazing.

It was even more amazing when it first came out in 1993.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Merauder posted:

C'mon, you're not even trying. Magic was actually garbage in '93. :P

It wasn't as polished as it is today, but it was still amazing because nobody had seen anything like it before.

malkav11 posted:

I certainly would. It's got plenty of original ideas and the overall design is better than many other TCGs I've played. Yes, it's inspired by Magic - like, you know, the entire genre, albeit a bit more directly than many - but it's not Magic.

"Inspired by" = "copies every game mechanic down to the deck limits and starting life totals", huh? There's a reason why Cryptozoic postponed the release until about two days after the WOTC patents on CCGs expired - those patents were filed specifically to prevent exactly that kind of cloning.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ropes4u posted:

Battle of Britain looks interesting, has anyone played any of their other games?

As previously mentioned: it's Richard Borg. If you're not sold already you probably won't be, but check out his BGG profile.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Don't know if this was mentioned, but there's a KS going on for Dreadball 2nd Edition. I don't know how good the game is but I guess the first edition was popular?

If you like the idea of Blood Bowl but don't like insane dice chuckers with three billion conditional modifiers such that a single match takes three hours to play, Dreadball may be for you. Still lots of dice, but less modifiers (and they're more easily tracked), single rolls resolve most actions and there's a hard cap of 7 turns per player so you can play a five round league tournament in one day.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, there's not even a Guild Ball league around here, let alone a Dreadball one.

This is why I backed for Striker with the S2 and S3 teams. I could run a league from my own stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

Shipping overseas from the US sucks balls. Anything larger than an envelope pretty much has a base price of $25 USD, and it just goes up from there.

If you're not using custom packing, maybe. I had a guy in the US sending me a copy of Spyrium a couple of years back and he asked me if I wanted to go back on it because shipping the standard box to the UK cost more than the game. I showed him the magic of topology and cut the costs from something ludicrous like $35 to $15.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Not Armoured Core continues to fall slowly for the seventh day in a row, but expect that to increase a little now someone has pointed out that their "full refund" policy puts their Kickstarter charges on the customer.

One thought I had: if they're no longer using the Armoured Core licence, does that not mean they'll have to retool all their models?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gendail posted:

I'd hate to be the person trying to cancel my pledge, only to realize I can't because it will bring the project below funding. Cancel now while you can!!!

It's lost another $5k in the last 24 hours.

They have said that anyone who asks for a refund within 30 days of the Kickstarter ending will get a 100% refund, but to me that makes it look even shadier - they're rewarding cynicism and exploiting trust. Plus, there's the possibility that they might reach the funding goal but then drop below it courtesy of refunds and not be able to fulfil. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this project never ships.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Apparently it's come out that Bad Crow do not in fact have a sealed deal to use the Armoured Core IP.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

If this Armored Core fiasco has left a robot-sized hole in your heart, let Giga-Robo fill that void.

Hey, Armoured Core deserve some respect. They've managed to drop below $170k.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Haystack posted:

There is a free print-and-play if you just want to play the game.

I've demoed it at Gencon a few times. 's a good game.

I looked at the PnP. It shares most of its DNA with Cthulhu Wars and I have no interest in Glorantha, so I don't need it, but if you liked CW and aren't fussed about theme Gods War is a slightly cheaper but entirely acceptable substitute.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Red Metal posted:

Wait, 197 bucks is the lowest tier? There's not even a $1 "thanks for the support" tier?

There's no need for one ever, you can always select No Reward. The $1 tiers are generally used by project runners as an easy way to track people who are interested enough to want updates but not to commit just yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

What are "Concepts that fell out of Grant Morrison's wastepaper basket"?

(Though that last one is an edgelord's reimagining of Lady Door from Neverwhere.

As written, it looks like a character who solves the mysteries of the universe by jamming keys up people's assholes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Haystack posted:

The Gods War is live, and is already over half funded in about five minutes.

$125 for the base game
$135 for the 3-4 empire expansion
$100 each for monsters and neutral races
$60 for 3d buildings
$15 bucks for fancy dice
$450 for all of the above plus a nice selection of Glorantha pdfs

Eleven people already backed at the $1000 level that adds a resin copy of every mini.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I thought projects made shipping EU friendly by teaming up with a European importer to concentrate and lower the VAT costs so it ends up cheaper for Europeans. Are you telling me that each EU friendly project has actually had to eat all the VAT instead?

No. They will have charged the VAT, if they are smart at least. EU friendly projects are shipped from inside the EU, and so don't incur import duties as well as sales tax.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Okay, so if the games weren't produced in Europe then at some stage VAT had to be paid?

No, wherever the games were produced then at some stage the local sales tax was paid by you. What changes is whether the game was being sold at a price with that in mind.

Example: UK VAT is 20%. If the pledge level is $300 inclusive of taxes, everyone pays $300 but the actual cost to UK backers is $250 and the remainder is VAT. If it is exclusive of taxes, the UK backer will pay an additional $60 and backers in other regions will pay whatever their local sales tax may be.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

VAT is added to everything that isn't specifically VAT-exempt. The things that are VAT-exempt include books (but not e-books) as well as a variety of goods considered essential for living.

What's this "as well as" poo poo?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FRINGE posted:

It is ridiculous with the rest of the availavble tax structures. Sales tax is one of the most regressive taxes. The born-poor person and the born-rich person eat the same number of sandwiches per week. The poor-person loses a much larger relative portion of their income to fill the need for food, and then a larger relative portion of their income to pay tax on that food. The rich person doesnt notice.

I don't know how things are in the States, but in the UK food and clothes are exempt from sales tax. This is what stops it being a de facto regressive tax.

Also, if you think 20% is an absurd rate: it's actually lower than the EU average which is about 22%. Hungary has a 27% VAT rate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

potatocubed posted:

Especially black pudding. Yum.

Sticky toffee pudding. Gaze upon our desserts, ye fatties, and despair.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm sorry, I meant cake. How the gently caress can you confuse cake with a biscuit?

Is jaffa cake more like a coffee cake, where it's crumbly and tastes good or does it taste like a biscuit, which is dry and has no flavor save for the taste of vomit in the back of your throat? If it's the later, how the hell are they still in business?

Maybe I just find it funny that people like the taste of biscuits period.

That's because you're thinking of American biscuits, which are what we in the UK call scones and eat with cream and fruit preserve. Our biscuits are firm, dry because they're cooked twice, and only a little sweet. The dark chocolate digestive is especially prized.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

In actual Kickstarter news: Mare Nostrum has finally begun shipping to UK backers. Just in time for it to arrive while I'm away for four days.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

One Night Ultimate Alien is up. Looks like it is much more app focused this time around.

And it looks loving terrible. For example, if the Blob is in the game it's impossible for the Village to win if there are any un-absorbed Aliens.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FRINGE posted:

Pardon you good sir! Are you certain you mean to imply that there is something more serious, more important than the speedy delivery of a needed game to its investor?!

Nuclear War 50th Anniversary Edition wasn't a Kickstarter though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

It's not particularly sexualised though. It feels more as if, in the culture, people don't wear tops, as the women are wearing almost exactly what the men are.

It's still bulletproof nudity rules at work though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

demota posted:

Thornwatch, a pretty-looking game with art from the Penny Arcade guys is up on Kickstarter. I'm kind of ambivalent since Tycho's a transphobe and a rape apologist.

The game is ready to play now in PNP format, but they aren't going to deliver the finished product for a year. Even if this wasn't Penny Arcade they could gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The hasslefree guy has said before that he sculpts all his minis from nude up.

That explains why the nude version of one of his KS figures is in a different pose that shows off her tits better.