Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
From the old thread:

The General posted:

The boardgame Shogun uses a tower for resolution. Cubes get stuck in there, when you battle. Take the armies battling, toss them in the tower and pray lots of yours pop out.

I could see it being used for an RPG rule set too. Hmm.

that's what I meant as a cube tower and the idea would be: Players A (and possibly B) puts dice in, and gets the rolled results out which may or may not be the amount of dice they put in initially or belonging to them. It wouldn't and shouldn't be for task resolution fwiw. It'd be for using dice as numbered counters that can emerge randomly as opposed to just putting chits in a bag or something and then rolling a die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jadarx posted:

7th Sea 2E

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnwickpresents/7th-sea-second-edition/posts/1587796

Looks like nearly complex core rulebook pdf will be sent to backers for review with a possible Gencon release.

Nearly complete and there's a Google doc for submitting any additional errors their editors may have missed.

I'm looking through it now and the rules and systems are largely the same from the preview. I don't remember 1e enough to recall systemic changes, but there's probably more than a few. There's a corruption system that triggers off of players not being heroic or through certain Sorcery actions. The sorceries have been changed too from my recollection. The Castilles don't have their fire magic and the Eisen have their own now among other changes. There's rules for sailing and having your own boat as part of the core.

The GM section has this which is nice:

quote:

“I’M A BEGINNER, TOO!”
The first time you sit down to run 7th Sea for your players, be sure to remind them that this is the first time you’ve run the game—perhaps even the first time you’ve ever been a Game Master. You’re bound to make mistakes, but you’ll be sure to correct them quickly and keep the game moving. Remember, these are your friends. They’ll understand.

Edit: There's also a passionate kiss between two men in the Advantages section, so I'm sure there's going to be some grognard huffery about that.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 28, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Despite the name it had nothing to do with seas and was about three musketeer action. There was basically no support for boats, no new world, nothing except for a short lived spinoff tcg.

Well the 2E core doesn't have anything covering the New World and the other continents either.

Edit: Corrected on boats

Here's another pick-me-up from Wick at the very end of the book:

John Wick posted:

You’re Going to Do Fine
That’s a lot, right? But don’t worry. You’ve got this. I know you do. I’ve got confidence in you. You’ve got a bunch of friends willing to help you and support you. You’ve got this book. You’ve got a whole heaping lot of 7th Sea fans on the internet willing to offer you advice.
Being a GM is hard work. But it’s also rewarding work. When you pull it off, it really is like being a magician. Watching the players’ reactions. Reacting to things that don’t exist.
Yeah, I’m going back to that because it’s important. Don’t worry about the things you screw up. Chances are, your players didn’t notice. And if they did, they’re willing to ignore it. Just keep moving.
You’re going to do fine. Trust me. I’ve been doing this my entire life. I know such things. Now go join your friends and help them tell stories.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 28, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The elements of Quirks are still in 2E as well as Villains being complete dicks, but there's at least a carrot to go with the stick now. I'm still not convinced of the system as a whole, but the setting is a lot better than before

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

I haven't. Goons were getting kinda goony about it during the kickstarter, though.

I'm still pretty iffy on it myself and would consider seeing if could work with the ORE system after a bit of mechanical retooling

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That'd be pretty sweet. A few of the playbooks would need tweaking though.

Honestly, I'd love to see expansion books for Spirit of '77 meant to emulate different decades of media trends. Mostly the 80s since that's the other end of the Golden era for the sorts of stuff So77 is trying to parody/emulate.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Maybe, on the other hand the first campaign was for Dr. McNinja, and the second for Girl Genius & Gunnerkrig Court. I don't read them, but know at least the doctor and Gunnerkrig have a huge fanbase.

Depends on whether they like the game for the mechanics or the theme I guess.

e: really I can't be surprised by anything after all those kittens exploded

Well it's fully funded now and at 38k as of posting. That means a physical copy may be available somewhere for someone to turn into a loss edit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

A "stat" that represents luck seems pointless compared to:
-A pile of luck points or tokens
-A trait that lets you be lucky in X circumstances.

What does "average" luck mean? What does a 5/9 luck get you that 4/9 get you (unless you have a crit table?) What does luck represent that randomized dice rolling doesn't?

A higher stat could also mean a higher static bonus (or penalty) to rolls that might be more broadly useful, but less effective on the whole compared to other stats in whatever things they apply to

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Oh gently caress yeah. I've played that game IRL a few times, it's a lot of fun.

Tanto Cuore isn't really all that bad a game. It falls into the pile of games that are "Dominion but..." I've only played the base and it's not bad by any means. At least not any worse than Ascension or Star Realms. There's a lot of different elements going on that are added that vary from meh to interesting, but largely nothing ground breaking. If this were to have a bland and generic theme like Dominion, it'd probably have not received as much attention, but it'd probably get more play in more public gaming groups.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Brad Talton of Level 99 Games (BattleCON, Millennium Blades, Argent) posted a pretty interesting look at what's been going on in the company:

They make some pretty great games that gets into some interesting design space, so I'm hoping they find a good place to be.

It definitely sounds like he overexpanded without the experience to handle the load. It happens and is a bit unfortunate.

In actual Kickstarters, here's a game that's being ported/modified from a Chinese/Taiwanese game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gonab/overseers?ref=category

Originally called ChengHuang, it's being translated and ported to the rest of the world with rules updates and released as Overseers (the literal translation I believe and could probably also be better interpreted as Guardian or Protector). The big red flags are the company doing the Kickstarter. A: This is their fist Kickstarter. B: This is the company's first game.

As for the game itself, it's basically a drafting game with a bluffing aspect. After everyone's drafted five cards (and discarded their last card), everyone reveals three of their cards and everyone votes on who they think has the best five cards. The person voted with the best hand has to either agree or disagree. Agreeing means they discard two cards of their choice before revealing. Everyone then reveals. If the voted person did have the best hand, they discard the two highest scoring cards. If they didn't they get a free card from the discard. Everyone gets their points and a new round begins. There's also player powers (whose cards are a bit fanservicey are from the original afaict) and cards that can steal other cards which can affect the showdown scoring or final scoring.

there's already 10 days left and they've hit five times their base goal of roughly $10,000 USD (it's priced in Euros). At first glance, the game seems interesting, but the character powers (based on the ones seen in the rulebook) and the consequences of the bluffing aspect give me a bit of pause.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The QC guy makes even more but he at least posts every weekday as well as having a side comic. Quality is dogshit however

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

There are a lot more things than food and cloths that are required for life, and it is a regressive tax no matter how you cut it, unless you put a minimum of like 100 dollars at least on it.

Also in the US food is exempt from the sales tax too.

It depends, I believe in where you live in the US as individual states, counties and cities can apply their own sales tax that may or may not be tax exempt.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I just recently moved out of an apartment complex and has a game ship via FedEx after I moved out and I didn't change the address for the order before it arrived. I have no idea if the apartment is holding it still. What are my odds that they still have it or if they returned it, would I know from the tracking number?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Got my copy of Secret Hitler in. Gonna play it this weekend and see if I regret it or not. At the very least, I got the wooden President and Chancellor placards

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
In less TTRPG news, Quartermaster General: 1914 has tripled their goal and is 15 days left in their Kickstarter. It's 5 players instead of the original's six, but it's come with a new system of preparing cards and sustaining battles through prepared cards. The original is relatively enjoyable, but the game is stacked in the Allies' favor. This might be similar as it's 3 vs 2, but hopefully the side with 2 players will have bigger and more powerful decks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
All of the Greek gods are varying degrees of hosed up. Same with pretty much all pantheons fwiw, but the Greeks really stand out based on how much we know

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

Neall is going to lengths to try to be respectful of the cultural beliefs the game plays with. He's a pretty good guy.

We'll see when we get to the Asian and African pantheons :colbert: :dance:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

But how does it actually work? I don't see how on the KS page.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Det_no posted:

Is there a thread about this game? Or is it too "ew boobs!" for this place? News of the failed cancelled expansion made me look into it and it looks sweet but can't seem to find a thread.

There's no thread for it.

IMO, the concept is interesting in parts, but it's super swingy with everything. Everything is resolved through dice rolls and there's no real way to mitigate a bad roll once it hits the table. All players can do is generally anticipate risk where they can and deal with the fallout when they can't. Combat is even worse as hit locations upon damage resolution is generally randomized. Roll to defend, roll to hit, roll to see if it deals damage. The damage system and how the bosses (the only thing you actually fight) work is pretty interesting as they are basically on autopilot through a deck of cards and dealing damage removes cards from that deck, limiting the opponent's abilities the more damage is dealt.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's relatively easy to not have most of the dumb titty stuff anyways since it's all based on minis that are expansion content iirc. There's a definite theme of body horror with all of the enemies, so all the talk of titty miniatures is closer to the miniatures that just happen to have titties rather than miniatures whose purpose is titties. There's some other stuff in the rules that's definitely weird and messed up for other reasons, but it's not generally T&A/fetish stuff unless the fetish is body horror.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mugaaz posted:

I backed it for the base game. Personally, I think it looks fun and the monster figs look great to me. I've seen it played on youtube and I thought the game looked exactly like what I hoped it would be. I guess that makes me a bad person.

For difference reasons for different people. IMO, it's because it's relatively random in all aspects where it shouldn't and lovely as gently caress about its randomness in a way that makes Ghost Stories seem benevolent. Idgaf about ttity minis since they're not really prominent or emphasized. They're just...there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ropes4u posted:

Failed Kickstarter drama deserves it own A&E show as they appear to be filled with social rejects, deadlines, poor business decisions, and of course demanding customers. The AvP thread on Reddit is full of people who got screwed by a company that delivered to retail and now want the backers to pay a higher price. For me the issue is that many of those games never make it to retail.

Scythe has me changing my mind on Kickstarter. have backed a dozen or so projects, but skipped scythe thinking I would pick it up later.

Now I cannot force myself to buy the lesser quality game or pay the $200 price it would take to buy the game with all nice components.

A crowdfunding show on CNBC or Discovery or History seems super appropriate. Mix in some success stories with stories of failure or drama with either result and it'd be golden. Hell, I'm sure all of the tech and product Kickstarters would be enough to generate their own show as they're full of their own fresh hell.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

inklesspen posted:

That was me. I've actually done a fair amount of work on it before life intervened (switched jobs twice, moved cross oceans twice, started gender transition) and TBH what I have right now is the sketches of a setting and I have to figure out what sort of gameplay would be fun in that setting.

The elevator pitch, though: Zheng He's final treasure fleet went east instead of west and discovered what our timeline calls Vancouver Island. A few decades later, the emperor sends a younger son off to oversee Chinese activity in the region. Fast forward four hundred years and a Chinese nation whose emperor split from the late Ming dynasty rules the Pacific Northwest, in a not-untroubled coexistence with the native peoples. Noteworthy foreign powers include Mexico, Texas, Deseret Utah, and the distant United States (whose influence is felt mainly through people who leave it for whatever reason and settle in Chinese-controlled territory. There's racial turmoil (China has race prejudice that doesn't line up with American/Texan race prejudice), religious turmoil (native beliefs, Confucianism, Buddhism, Chinese Islam, Mormonism), and just to spice things up a little more, massive deposits of silver have been discovered in areas of Northern California claimed but only loosely controlled by the Chinese.

Now that I'm living in the Pacific Northwest, I'm going to try to find time to resume work on it.
Depending on how far north, the British may presumably be also involved in as similar an extent that the US is via the Hudson's Bay Company or other traders unless your timeline has something fiddly happen with Britain's own movements in the region. There's also Russian traders in the northern edges of the PNW region to consider too (if they're still around)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

The way to avoid the (very minor) legacy stuff in Gloomhaven is simply printing out an additional map and adding locations to it or using a digital map file that someone made up on BGG. You can also print out/laminate character sheets to list all your stats/items. In addition, you could even just sleeve your cards when you want to improve them and mark the upgrades on the sleeves.

It's all very minor compared to something like Risk Legacy or Pandemic Legacy where the board itself is used in the game the entire time. The map in Gloomhaven is something you look at once when you start/end a scenario, then you fold it and put it back in the box. You're not marking up the hex tiles or anything.

I made the decision to put the stickers directly on the map because it looks better that way (than without it) and it's such a long game (possibly hundreds of hours) that you're meant to be exploring the world over multiple characters/parties. You can just start a new party whenever you want and go to whatever scenario looks fun.

The big board itself is almost a waste of space and cardboard outside of being a tracker of unlocked and completed scenarios and achievements.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

alchahest posted:

Seconding this - even without the fancy kickstarter upgrade pieces, it's a really well made game, lots of fun.

The upgraded pieces are really fancy though. Like exorbitantly so.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm 100% leery if they're going to port straight from the TT rules. Obviously there's going to be some mechanical modifications, but I'll probably wait until after release to see if it definitely is worth taking a look at

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Haystack posted:

Anyone who is the dark about this should take a look at the great Fatal and Friends review Nifara did of the core game.

The whole thing isn't finished, but it does go over the base rules and systems at least.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
In terrible Kickstarter news, the expansion to the furry spacefaring rpg is two weeks away from finishing and already fully funded.

Here's an F&F of the original HC SVNT DRACONES: http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/purplexvi/hc-svnt-dracones/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1448273438/hc-svnt-dracones-sound-and-silence

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The psychological analysis of roleplaying and specifically in TTRPGs is one that's very under developed (for obvious reasons). The big questions are "How are you having fun with this?" and "Why are you having fun with this?" It's like the Johhny/Timmy/Spike/Vorthos/Melvin categorization in MtG. It's an analysis that's not really all that useful for anything other than academic curiosity and possibly a way to make a quick buck by further analyzing and exploiting a certain type of player/GM. For any kind of profile, it can get used to great benefit to improve or abused to detract a game's appeal. It's like how people use MBTI results to judge people or even influence hiring even though it's pretty much no better at gauging long term personality patterns than a horoscope. It's an interesting categorization nonetheless, but if that rabbit hole were to be leapt into again, it should analyze the players and what they want instead of the GM and what they present.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I didn't reach the anime and my eyes glazed over because it was just WORDS about the setting and "The First Age" the anime thing with all girls as presented was just the corns on the turd.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
A Dark Souls board game should've been a deck builder with reshuffling your deck representing dying and coming back to life.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Why? When I think of Dark Souls I think, drat cant use that spell cause I didn't draw it but I have 4 blocks cards. cool.

IMO, trashing and deck optimization is a fundamental part of deck building as is anything that essentially mitigates the luck component as much as possible, but depending on how it's mechanically designed, it can go a lot of ways.

A quick and dirty version off the top of my head has the deck represent the player's resources and gear. Going through all of the cards in the deck means having run out of resources and opportunities. Finishing a hand without running out is basically an opportunity for the enemy to regroup, attack or whatever they do. It's an opening that the player allowed the opponent because they ran out of steam for more than a moment and need to recharge.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

7th Continent's 2nd edition/reprint is on KS as of today. I'm interested but will not likely be backing due to the price and time involved in actually playing it.

I remember when the first Kickstarter came about, I decided against backing it because it looked to have nearly no replayability since every time you start it'd be in the same place and the cards would lay out the same way so the exploration was more Choose Your Own Adventure on a board than an actual game. Gloomhaven's first printing was around the time too as well.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I really hope that it's not intentional

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Kingdom Death's main income model as I understand it are miniatures, which also seem to be the primary draw of the game. Meanwhile Gloomhaven has miniatures but isn't really a minis-oriented game, if that makes sense.

It has minis equal to the number of character classes, but that's it. Everything else is all tokens and cardboard. I'm 90% certain if he could get someone to do sculpts, he could probably make a decent amount of money selling enemy minis.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I've only tried some of it since it's hard to organize a TTS session with my friends (why don't we just play real [physical] board games instead?!) and I'm too lazy to make a PNP version. It looks good and Wehrle's a fantastic designer so far. It's just a heads up that people are comparing it to COIN because there's not much else to compare it to. Vast would be the other thing but that game was much more multiplayer solitaire.

Vast didn't feel quite so much like multiplayer solitaire to me since everyone was basically stepping on everyone else's toes all of the time and certain players were actively attacking others as often as possible because of their goal. Maybe it's different at the lower player counts.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
How does the original Aeon's End play btw?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

oriongates posted:

I'd say the best fauxpunk term for what this setting seems to be is "tapepunk". Super-advanced computers running on reel-to-reel systems, micro VHS data tapes, etc.

You might be interested in this: http://www.alexvaranese.com/work/alt1977
Alt-70s retrofuturistic designs for modern-ish portable electronics. Basically everything has wood paneling with low res LCDs.

There's also a TTRPG that debuted on 4chan called Modempunk which is basically cyberpunk but more 80s retrofuturistic.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 3, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Kidpunk - basically the tech from the show Kids Next Door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

What is the overlap between modern day Confederate Die-Hards, and people who are willing to play a convoluted as gently caress game about Cyborg Elves?

:thunk:

Too high