Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It's about evidence. It's documented that Paterno knew what was going on at Penn State, beyond the reasoning that as God-King there's no way he wouldn't have known. It needs to be made clear who exactly was involved with the malfeasance, and how well known it was around the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

Chris Ash - Rutgers. Similar to Maryland but with even less to work with. For a program that's been around as long as they have, you'd think they'd be able to figure out a winning formula at some point. Trying to go toe to toe with Michigan for recruits is a losing battle, but it's one that Ash and Co. at least have to give a go at. Somehow, I can't shake the feeling that Greg Schiano is somehow going to pull at Petrino and end up back at Rutgers.

Rutgers has had more success than Maryland in recent memory in football, has much better fan support, and better facilities. Peoples' memories are crowded because Fridge was really good a long loving time ago, and of course they have basketball success and lots of Under Armour money. But Rutgers is clearly a better football program.

They haven't really been around a long time, Rutgers moved up to the equivalent of the FBS level in the late 70s/early 80s. Before they were playing in what would today be considered the Patriot League. They've done just with standard Big Ten style mediocrity in recent memory.

So far they've had success recruiting against Michigan this year. Schiano also turned down a chance to come back this year, so I think that door is probably closed.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Temple isn't really a bad job at all, I'm less impressed with Rhule than most.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mercenarynuker posted:

Going (briefly) back to the MAC, I would be astonished if Fleck wasn't picked up by someone after this year, even for a mediocre season. I would hate it forever as a Bronco alum, but the guy can flat-out recruit like no one's business (247 gave WMU the best recruiting class in the MAC by a wide margin after a season where they won one game a couple years ago). Throw in that he's a solid, offensively-minded coach, and how many P5 schools who have national name recognition but dismal on-field product wouldn't try to scoop that up (like, say, Kentucky)? I get that a lot of people view this as Fleck's "put up or shut up" year, but I really don't think he necessarily has to win the conference to still get some very tender offers that WMU can't match. And then I'll cry my heart out because we can't have nice things

Purdue seems like a good fit. He's a great recruiter that I'm still not sure can coach. I was happy we didn't get him.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Can Jim Delany pull some strings so all of Marrow's recruits can transfer en masse to Purdue or whatever?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The bar for Vandy is really low, and the skills for rebuilding a program are a lot different than winning at a high level. This is what whoever dumb enough to hire Schiano next year will learn.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I still stubbornly don't like Fleck because his OC was horrible at Rutgers. Also there are a lot of message board rumors about him.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

Two names I'll probably be laughed at for mentioning: Coastal Carolina HC Joe Mogila (former TD Ameritrade CEO, not a bad idea to let him build), or if Purdue wants P5 coaching experience, Schiano. If he can get Rutgers to respectable he should be able to do the same at Purdue.

Schiano thinks he can land a top 10 job. He can't, but he like Fleck won't touch Purdue.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mercenarynuker posted:

I know Fleck is one of the top plums to be picked this year, but a (very much biased) blog had the opinion that if WMU made the Cotton Bowl, Fleck may stay at WMU. I'm struggling to understand his reasoning, because I am absolutely a mega-homer for the Broncos/Row-Boaters, but I can't see his logic on this one. Beyond maybe the big-boys take the program seriously and he has incentive to build or something? Help me understand this madness

He won't.

Fleck was begging for the Rutgers job last year, albeit he didn't have this season to stand on. No way he is staying, and I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, in almost every situation a coach will leave. If Google offered you a lot of money you would probably quit your job and go work there.

And I'm not bragging, he used to be an assistant at RU. Before this year he was seen as a major stretch even with Flood cratering our program.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It's 100% true. Fleck went 7-5 in the MAC last year before they won a bowl. Purdue could have traveled back in time and hired Urban Meyer back when he was a position coach at Notre Dame, it doesn't have any bearing on his stock today. Rutgers picked Ash over Golden. Schiano passed. There was no one else they seriously looked at. They basically laughed at Fleck. And no doubt he is an insanely good recruiter, although I guess I'm the last holdout that he's the next great coach as opposed to just destroying the opposition with a massive recruiting advantage that won't be as pronounced at a bigger job.

Given what Flood did to the roster anyone would be struggling, although Fleck is less likely to have done a full tear down. A lot of things look really bad but a lot of rebuilding jobs take two years minimum.

What's crazy is Ash turned down Syracuse (under the AD who's now at Minnesota), and they ended up with Babers, who may be so good he goes back to Baylor.

edit: oh and actually you guys missed a story that actually is crazy. The local press reported that Pat Narduzzi hates Pitt and tried to get involved. So that's a sleeper to watch this offseason.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 20, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Alaois posted:

well he went from 1-11 to two straight 8-5 season, including a bowl win , but he just didn't have enough Solid Data for the discerning hiring board of Rutgers University.

now this Safeties coach from Ohio State, on the other hand

He was the DC, and before that the DC at Arkansas. Buckeye fans seemed to like him, I guess?

Fleck wasn't even in the conversation. After Schiano said no, it was let's mark down 7-5 in stone every year by hiring Al Golden, or take a chance on a sort of risky coach who might end up being good in Ash. They wanted power conference experience, and it really hurt Fleck that his OC was historically bad when he was the OC at Rutgers in 2009-2010.

How many 7-5 MAC coaches land in even struggling P5 programs? It was a non starter.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 20, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

DJExile posted:

Yeah Hazell probably isn't as bad as his record indicates. Purdue clearly doesn't give a drat about the program anymore. It's there to pull the BTN dollars into the school and that's it. poo poo, Indiana State is probably out-recruiting them at this point.

Yes, but Hazell was also hired off of a fluke year, which he should probably thank Kyle Flood for giving him the biggest bullshit win of all time. Very good assistant though, he will find work quickly.

Ultimately there are only so many of these jobs. I mean idiots like Pete Thamel were saying we'd go after Joe Moglia last year and that was a loving joke. They'll get a power conference coordinator or a good mid major coach. There's a budding Todd Graham out there somewhere dying for a promotion.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Between Odom and Claeys there are a lot of wannabe Kyle Floods out there. I guess Helfrich and especially Shaw don't really count. And Lovie Smith is really bad as well but in a different way.

Hoke was a good assistant, and he was a good mid major coach. Is it just that he is a fit for the Big Ten boring style, and can't comprehend the forward pass? Even today Michigan fans give him credit for being a great DL coach. I have trouble believing people could fall off THAT much. But then again, Greg Robinson.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Addazio is probably going to get fired this year at BC.

Someone should look at Babers at Syracuse. They're .500, but what he's done is AMAZING given their horrible roster.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

an adult beverage posted:

Who does BC hire at this point now that they are a complete shithouse?

BC will probably hire Al Golden.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

an adult beverage posted:

Does Tennessee dump Butch and hop back on the carousel for the 4th time in the past 8 years?

They should. Kiffin would be good at a mid level P5 school where they'll be happy with good recruiting making them decent - meaning he can be Greg Schiano.

Rich Rodriguez is going to start generating speculation, although I imagine they give him another year.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Is it? They turned to Jones after pretty much everyone turned them down, and something similar happened with Dooley. I know Jones has recruited very well, and the east is weak - a good coach would win right away.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Recruits matter and good coaching matters more, happy?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
His goal was to get a HC job, and the profile is definitely higher in the SEC. The presumption also was that Tennessee was loaded with seniors but PSU would be rebuilding a bit and Franklin might be under heat.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I feel bad some times but then I look at Texas and realize that everyone is loving incompetent everywhere.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Those extra coaches can't recruit off campus, I think they're more for coaching.

As many mistakes as Strong made, I think the team is really young and talented and anyone is going to win a lot next year. And he did a lot of hard work needed to drag the program kicking and screaming into the modern era after Mack ran it like a country club.

He's legitimately a great defensive coach as his track record indicates, although I think that might not be a great fit with Big XII offenses. Clearly some of the Louisville success though was luck into a star QB.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

Texas has been one of the worst major programs in the country over Strong's tenure. They are 16-20 with a loss to Kansas and a shutout loss to Iowa State. There were numerous blow outs (Texas gave up 31 points in a quarter to TCU) and no signs of marked improvements. The same issues (not being able to play on the road, poor discipline, poor game management) have plagued Texas throughout Strong's tenure.

He is a bad coach and I don't have an issue saying it. I think he caught fire in a bottle with Bridgewater at Louisville which is what led to his success as a head coach.

Basically, Charlie Strong is Will Muschamp.

Strong turned a bunch of nobodies at Louisville into NFL players. Clearly though the Big XII is stylistically very different than other conferences on offense.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The Big Ten is a joke, which is why I'm so loving sad right now.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Komet posted:

No, just Rutgers

No, the league is loving awful and should be forcibly disbanded. Pretty much the only saving grace is that Midwesterners are forced to pay for this on their cable bills.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Korranus posted:

Meanwhile, a name that has come up in Houston is Pat Narduzzi at Pitt.

He is very available, he wants out bad.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Real Name Grover posted:

Unfortunately that won't stop idiots across the country from clamoring for him to save their program

(Please tell me this has happened at places beyond Nebraska in the past five years; I'm drawing a blank)

Julie Hermann's plan three years ago if the boosters hadn't refused to give her a dime were either Bob Diaco or somehow, Jim Tressel.

It's a really good thing that didn't happen although keeping Flood for two more years was just as bad.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Holg is just loving weird in that Tony Gibson was a crappy DB coach who somehow is really good at coaching against the Big XII spread. Almost as weird as Fleck taking the worst OC of all time in Kirk CIarrocca and somehow making him non terrible.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Nope, the program was pretty good then with lots of players who made the NFL, he was comically inept. It was much better before he arrived and got much better after he left.

Also LOL at Schiano, he is close to Feldman and obviously fed him that story.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Can Taggart hire back Tom Allen so Indiana is lovely on defense again.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The last time we talked about coaching trees, it's hard to beat Frank Broyles (which is really Bobby Dodd) and Bill Snyder (Hayden Fry), although BEAR is up there and Bowden was really good too.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 4, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Do you even want to count him at this point? He'll have to sit in the corner with Chuck Long.

I judge this more by who they cut their teeth with as a coach, and while Diaco was linked to Brian Kelly most of his career, it was as a DC. He isn't fairly part of a tree.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Forde is very plugged in at Louisville.

Can't ND just throw a pile of money at Diaco and get him back?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

shyduck posted:

They could make a movie about what Matt Rhule was able to do at Temple, a perennially dogshit football program since the 19th century. I just fear now they're going to regress and lose any foothold they might've had.

Huh? They have been solid ever since Golden took over.

Rhule is good at scouting and developing players, but is horrifically bad at Xs and Os.

MourningView posted:

Rhule has been way better than Golden was and there was a mediocre Addazio period in the middle there. I don't think they made a bowl the year before he was hired. Rhule has overseen the best period for Temple football by a mile.

Golden took over a horrible program. Addazio had them on the decline but there's no comparison. He certainly has good qualities but the dude cannot coach to save his life.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Dilber posted:

Al Golden was a terrible, terrible coach that does not deserve another head coaching shot. He was poor on gameday, recruiting, developing, and managing staff. His team did not respect him, and hated him because he spoke in coach speak to them all the time. He played mind games with depth charts that everyone knew was false, and would play favorites with who would getting playing time. He effectively cost his players millions of dollars in the draft. He tied himself to a garbage DC running his system, and was unwilling to ever make changes.

He's a good person, and I wish he was as good a coach as he was a person. He wasn't. When at Temple, he couldn't beat a team with a pulse, and that didn't change at Miami. In fact, at miami he also couldn't beat teams without a pulse. His 2013 team was LOADED with talent, and he couldn't even compete for the coastal.

He's a really good fit at a Northeast school where 8 wins is a good season. I think he's likely the next BC coach. He is great at building a program up from nothing. It's a very different skill than being a coach at an elite program. Also he's loyal to a lovely DC. This is also why no top 10 program should hire Schiano, but he is a great DC and good at rebuilding programs.

Rutgers thought hard about Golden but decided to gamble on Ash.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Schiano is not going to a G5 job.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Komet posted:

Temple is a better job than Rutgers at this point

lol no

In actual news, Drew Mehringer is leaving as Rutgers OC for Texas. It's unclear if he'll be the OC in name only or a position coach. His offense was terrible this year, but they didn't have the personnel to run it. And thus continues the curse where Rutgers has to hire a new OC every single loving year.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

Strong had an incredible QB fall into his lap at Louisville because Miami was a mess, and it was the dying days of the Big East. He's fine for USF but the continued insistence that his failure at Texas was all or mostly Texas' fault is dumb. That's one of the easiest places in the country to coach and mean boosters didn't make him lose to Kansas or miss a bowl in the easiest Big XII in like a decade.

His level is better than USF though. Dude should be at a mid level SEC or ACC school.

It could just be he can coach conventional defenses fine but can't defend the spread for poo poo.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

If he can't win 6 games at Texas I am not sure why you think he'd be more likely to do it at, like, NC State where that is significantly harder to do. This is like when you thought Purdue should hire Hoke

USF seems like a good place for him. He's recruited the area, it's a conference he's had success in (albeit when it wasn't as good as it's been lately) and he can build a big talent advantage there. I wouldn't give him a major job after Texas unless he kills it at USF for a long time, especially if it's a school where he won't be able to outrecruit his level of competition

He made Louisville competitive right away when their last coach, Kragthorpe, was dogshit. And he was holy poo poo good at Louisville, it wasn't all Bridgewater. Look at the players they developed on defense.

Based on Hoke's track record pre-Michigan he would have been a good hire! Purdue only started spending money this year, considering they were coming off the crappy hires of Danny Hope and Darrell Hazell, Hoke would be a noted upgrade on both.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The skills for winning at those schools are completely different. PJ Fleck has insane recruiting advantages over any team he plays in the MAC. Schiano and Golden were great rebuilders who had no business at better programs, etc... No one will touch Hoke now, but it would have been a totally justifiable move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

Clearly rutgers and Michigan need to cement their rivalry by playing for the dick nixon trophy

In the pantheon of crazy people, I don't think it's fair to compare McMagic to Harbaugh.

• Locked thread