Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Deep down my brain hasn't accepted that he isn't some fringe candidate. He is half of the presidential race. He has made ignorance cool and mainstream in a way I have never seen before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

If that's all he's got, it's gonna be a long five months for Trump.

And thanks Paul Ryan, sorry about your 2020 plans!
I can't wait to see how he accuses her of misrepresenting him on foreign policy when they are face to face.

edit: his supporters like his know-nothing approach to foreign policy now but I think they are going to like it a lot less when he is arguing with someone who has lived it for a decade.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zelder posted:

Trump's main strategy at this point is to hope that he goads Hillary into beating him so severely that she suffers a heart attack
There are worse ways to go then while trying to beat Donald Trump to death.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stereotype posted:

Ted Cruz literally read "Green Eggs and Ham" on the Senate floor as an allegory for the ACA but had the message backwards.
In his defense its true message is couched in subtle metaphors, much like Full Metal Jacket actually being anti-war and American Psycho being an indictment of Wall Street.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

max4me posted:

....drat next you ll be telling me "Fight Club" is really not about rejecting consumer culture.
Naw it was just a movie about hurting people.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Soooo, Trump already got called out on Muhammad Ali yesterday, has anyone brought up that this is the anniversary of Tianneman Square? Just wondering if he still has such sensitive, heartfelt and nuanced views as last year.
Did he say something about Ali other than calling him a great guy (and being called out for not wanting him in the country because of his religion)? And what has he said about Tianneman Square?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Pulled over by a cop who suspects you of drug trafficking, but don't have a ton of cash in the car? Oklahoma will now gladly seize the contents of the bank accounts associated with your debit cards instead!
It just goes to show that policing being a for-profit enterprise is the default state of things; it takes good government (at least a better government than Oklahoma has) to force it to give up the profit motive.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Obama opening the campaign with the charm offensive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziwYbVx_-qg
I have a feeling Hillary is going to try do this stuff and it's going to hurt so bad.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Academician Nomad posted:

Uh oh guys
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...03255&tid=ss_fb

I hear the Democrats are losing their grip on the Solid South so that could be true!!

(I know Mugwump-chat is supposed to go in YCS but I'm so sick of Clevelandians and their superior attitudes)
I love the last line

quote:

The process of unendorsing Trump is humiliating, but only for a moment. The honor of choosing rightly, when it mattered most, will endure.

edit: but boy howdy is the author naive about the state of the party before Trump.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's only been a few hours and the conversation has already gone this way. We're getting more and more efficient at this. Keep it up, America.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If you had automatic weapons in a crowded nightclub you'd have to be really unlucky to only manage to kill 20 people, I think.

Also I hate that America has taken away the feelings I should be experiencing about something like this.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Getting enraged by things that don't concern you is a fundamental human problem that I hope to see go away someday.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Did this guy have a loving RPG or something how the hell do you kill/hospitalize 103 people?
Lots of bullets and a dark, crowded place where no one knows where to run to to escape, I think.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Thaddius the Large posted:

I don't blame his dad for sounding a bit delusional, he's just found out his son shot up a nightclub a few hours ago, that would tie up your brain a bit.
Has anyone published a self-help book yet titled "so your son is a mass shooter" to help the now thousands of American parents in this situation?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Rituals are always a part of human society and our ritual for this situation is "our thoughts and prayers...."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

Native born US citizen with no prior criminal or mental health records, as reported so far. Working in a job that supposedly requires fairly stringent background checks.
"Supposedly" has got to be the key word here.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The way I see it, it's his employer that should have caught this the most. He's an adult and away from his parents so I don't blame them, it's his wife's call about how to deal with his abuse of her, the FBI did their job like they should have; it's not like they can follow someone around just for being an angry jerk unless they can prove their connection to known terrorists. But a security company that gives him a gun and the responsibility to use it should have done better.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah I have no reason to think Trump is anti gay specifically but what does that matter if so many of his supporters are?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RuanGacho posted:

Common sense is a trigger phrase.
The word "common sense" has no meaning anymore anyway, it was solely for monocultural societies. I don't think politicians should be using it in gun control or any other context.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 14, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This poll unskewing business that I always read about here is just a joke, right?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So why can't the police throw those people out for something?
Well, they're white, so they have a built in resistance to the police bothering them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

1337JiveTurkey posted:

The best part about those guys is that the see-through shields are $100 on Amazon and decidedly not bulletproof.
They are good guys with guns though so they will be able to stop bad guys from even firing.

E:fb

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

When it comes to discussing specific weapon bans - yes.

The surrounding issues - no.

It's not that hard to understand
I guess part of the problem is that it almost always DOES turn into specific weapon (or other equipment) bans when that is apparently a pretty stupid idea.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 17, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ReindeerF posted:

What the Christ have you disaffected assclowns done with the country since the last time I paid attention some months ago?

Also, I assume you have all seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbM6WbUw7Bs
The way I see it there's being wacky and then there's trying really really hard to be wacky. I think this is the latter.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Noam Chomsky posted:

I bet Trump drops out before the convention.
Serious talk, what happens if that happens? Or sometime between the convention and the election? Trump's short attention span has got to get the better of him eventually.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does anyone have a good article on just how pathetic the Senate's slapfight over those four gun control bills was? The ones I read were long on mocking and sad head-shaking but short on details.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So I wake up and now the Dems are occupying the House over their lovely gun bill? Am I missing something or is this some of the dumbest stuff yet seen in congress?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

This is the best the Dems can do on gun control
That fills me with sadness and loathing, even worse than if they were doing nothing at all.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DemeaninDemon posted:

It's purely political theater, Sam San. They picked the weakest, most gop-friendly proposal to show how asinine and uncooperative the gop is. It isn't about the particular gun measures at all and all about gop obstruction.
I guess that makes sense. If the GOP hadn't been shitheads it might have passed though, and we'd have yet another awful no fly list linked law on the books.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zelder posted:

people accuse the Democrats of always loving up the messaging game, but now they play it properly and people don't like that either

Politics, man
This is how the messaging game is supposed to be played? The overwhelming message I got from it is that the Dems were willing to try to pass any gun law no matter how destructive, much as a drowning person will instinctively climb on top of anyone trying to survive and cause the friend who is trying to rescue them to drown as well.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Pretty cool that the Democrats are way out ahead of Trump and the Republicans on denying peoples substantive rights based on racial profiling.
They did it ironically.

Not that I am defending what they are doing, it's just as loathsome to me either way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is "chryon" what that text bar at the bottom is called?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Would it have been impossible to go through this song and dance routine using an actual good gun law? Does it absolutely require a lovely one? I mean, given that the GOP will reject it either way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How is affirmative action not racism?
Oh yeah, I vaguely remember this discussion from 9th grade or something.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are you for real?
They could be a foreigner, I remember needing to explain why letting shops not serve gays was a bad idea despite being private businesses to a foreigner once.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

In the off chance that you're asking in good faith:

1. Even your name is enough to set off peoples' built-in assumptions about who you are as a person.

2. Evaluating someone purely in terms of the their GPA, extracurriculars and essays does not acknowledge that systemic factors that could lead to someone being able to achieve higher scores as a function of the birth lottery, as in being born into a stable family life in a safe neighborhood with ample financial support for your studies and personal development. Affirmative action seeks to achieve equality of result over equality of treatment.
More in general, when I was a kid I was taught that bad things happened to minorities in history, and that's why things like AA existed, and under that logic it does seem questionable. It was a bit later that I realized that big organized bad things were happening to minorities all the time and were not going to stop anytime soon, so we need big organized good things to balance them out. Now, there can be a million arguments about the best ways to implement that but the concept is sound.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gay rites posted:

I mean let's not forget the bad things in the past kinda matter and continue to impact us. A huge degree of one's advantages in life come from family wealth from two, three, four or more generations ago. An example: African-Americans benefited from the GI Bill after WWII, but higher education (particularly in the south) was still segregated. Blacks in the south were often prohibited from attending the largest and best funded universities and had to make do at junior colleges. This had a big impact in exacerbating economic divide among black and white men in the South. One can easily imagine the effects two generations down the line.

AA can be a corrective to that.
I put those kinds of things under the category of bad things happening now. What I mean is, when I was a kid (and I know lots of people including adults think this now), I saw black people who were not poor or mistreated in any way I could see and concluded that racism is just in history books. I meant to speak against that idea.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 23, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Are there any pro-Leave people who don't think Trump is a cool guy with awesome ideas? Who somehow didn't see that they voted for something fundamentally the same as he is saying?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Antti posted:

The Scottish hate Donald Trump and he obviously knows this.
Does pissing off Scots score him points with his people back in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

there is a means to challenge inclusion on the no-fly list, so there's at least some; whether it is constitutionally sufficient is a separate question
Is there a way to know whether you're on that list other than trying to fly?

• Locked thread