Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Is there a map where Hillary hits 270 before the west coast polls close?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

My views on furries will be what embarrasses my grandchildren at thanksgiving.

"You can't call them that anymore!"

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Well poo poo now I actually want Sanders to win just so he can quote this on twitter and create this century's"Dewey Beats Truman" moment.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Bushiz posted:

I mean, he probably beat the poo poo out of a gay kid when he was in high school

No, that was the "reasonable trump alternative", mittens.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

Supposedly she ______________. At the very least, that means ____________, and at worse _____________.

Lol.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

"He can't even read the timestamps. Sad."

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

zoux posted:

On the other hand, how can I demonstrate how woke I am?

I don't get this. Sure, "woke twitter" can go overboard, but isn't the point of being "woke" like you've just started paying attention and just now noticed all the hosed up poo poo? I'm sure my reactions to noticing how the world actually works were pretty "we gotta DO SOMETHING I don't know what or how just flail until every problem is resolved simultaneously!"

"Woke twitter" is getting more people involved and paying attention. This is a good thing.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

WampaLord posted:

No, "woke twitter" is bitching about how the perfect should be the enemy of the good.

Like I said, that was my immediate reaction when I started paying attention. People won't immediately understand that getting things done won't always get everything done and with no flaws (see: berniebros). I'm saying that I think it's wrong to look down on people that haven't learned that lesson yet.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

emdash posted:

It's not even "perfect should be the enemy of the good," it's more like a giant social media game of oneupmanship. Whoever can find the most "woke" angle wins the day and someone will be there to defend them, no matter how much cognitive dissonance is involved

So you're saying they're "virtue signalling"?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

zoux posted:

Bro it's 18 year olds trying to be loving Molotov online and loving it up, that's what's funny to laugh at. I was dangerously woke myself at that age.

That's all I'm saying. I was there, too, but thankfully not publicly on twitter. Don't throw stones is all.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

No fly, no guns is good because it works towards the goal of less people being able to buy guns. I'm fine with the right to bear arms being infringed extrajudicially.

Nazis getting smashed is good because Nazis should never not be getting smashed. I'm fine with Nazis being silenced.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Nazis have the same first amendment rights anyone else does and it should be treated as a crime and punished in the judicial system.

How is getting beaten for your views by private citizens a first amendment issue?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Larch posted:

Lack of prosecution is a tacit endorsement by the government.

You'd probably have to prove in court that the speech was the reason for lack of prosecution. Maybe the cops were just too busy that day. 🙃

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yes, infringe any rights as long as it gets guns out of people's hands.

Sounds like a good plan.

Agree. Infringe all rights as long as they're gun rights. Make it a felony to exist in the US, then commute all sentences, then get rid of the law. Boom, we're all felons and ineligible to possess guns.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

You really shouldn't be okay with this kind of thing, no matter how horrifying the speech in question.

Nah, I think Nazism has earned itself a special exception to being treated civilly. They don't get to be treated as just an alternative viewpoint. Would you feel better if we amended some laws to say "note: this does not apply to Nazis, gently caress those guys."?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Except I wasn't responding to whether or not fascists should have the poo poo kicked out of them, I was responding to whether the people doing the poo poo kicking should be charged. I'm not comfortable with cops making that kind of judgment and you shouldn't be either.

But the judgement is pretty easy. Has the targeted group advocated for or actually committed genocide? If yes, go ahead and beat the poo poo out of them.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Nazi: hmm, these people have been synonymous with hatred and vilified my entire life. They killed millions recently enough to where survivors are still alive. I'd like to join them and march to show others that this is an acceptable belief system.

People in this thread: it would be an injustice to harm this person based on their political beliefs.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can we as a society declare an eternal war against Nazism and outlaw all pro-Nazi groups and demonstrations just like we did during World War 2?

Yes please. Add ISIL to the list as well.

Like, don't let it get to violence. Just arrest Nazis on sight.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sunset posted:

Bash them for going out and showing their colors in public? Ok, got it! That's....not fascist at all.

It's ok to not play by the rules when they're Nazis, though.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

I wonder how many of us would be very angry if a New Black Panther rally was interrupted with bashing.

Hopefully all of us? They are not Nazis nor ISIL.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

The fact that you and the nazis agree about the moral justification for using violence against "dangerous political speech" should be a hint.

We're not talking about "dangerous political speech". This isn't creating some slippery slope that endangers speech. We're talking specifically about Nazism, which is objectively bad and should be put down with full force.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

If we don't defend literal Nazis then next thing you know we won't be able to support Bernie Sanders 2!

It's like you don't understand the magnitude of difference between "Nazism" and normal political opposition.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

The ACLU's defense of a neo nazis right to gather for a rally in a town where 1/6 people was a Holocaust survivor is both a landmark SCOTUS case taught to every law school student and was posted right before your post.

It's also an example why unfettered free speech is stupid and we should have a German style ban on Nazism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Have you even ever heard of HUAC?

I don't understand your argument. Are you saying that it would be unjust to oppress Nazis? That it should actually be open to debate as to whether someone should be allowed to be one? It was wrong for HUAC to assume all communists were bad. It is not wrong to assume all Nazis are bad.

• Locked thread