Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

So I'd like to talk about a decklist today. Specifically, this decklist: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/420679#online

I'm mainly interested in sideboard choices and the Jund matchup. Why run Linvala in the board when Pod isn't a card anymore? For the mirror/Infect? What can this deck do to not get pasted by Jund? What decks are Eidolon and Teeg being brought in against (Eidolon especially, isn't Storm dead)? Is the deck really so reliant on the combo that Twisted Image is a good sideboard card for Spellskite?

Linvala is also good against Bant Eldrazi and affinity.

Eidolon is good against Ad Nauseam as well. With Pridemages to answer Phyrexian Unlife, you can keep them off the combo completely.

Usually against Jund the Company/Chord decks sideboard out as many mana dorks as possible. You're not going to combo off agianst jund and those cards are really bad in a game that's about attrition or topdecking. You replace them with anything in your board that you think might be more relevant than a 0-power creature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Yea modern is actually (mostly) good now. There's a ton of diversity in decks. There's still the problem with some non-interactive decks and too much reliance on sideboard hate, but what are you going to do, play Standard?

Razzled posted:

I'm super bummed that my little tier 2 modern deck somehow marauded it's way into a PTQ crushing deck that managed to get itself banned not 6 months after I bought all the pieces...

Is there anything similar I can salvage as much as possible from my Amulet Bloom deck into?

Maybe scapeshift or some sort of Valakut deck?

Someone locally plays Bloomless Titan and does real well with it. Here's his list from some states thing:

4xSimic Growth Chamber
2xGruul Turf
2xBoros Garrison
1xSelesnya Sanctuary
1xGolgari Rot Farm
4xGemstone Mine
2xTolaria West
1xMana Confluence
1xCavern of Souls
1xIsland
1xForest
1xRadiant Fountain
1xKhalni Garden
1xVesuva
1xSlayer's Stronghold
1xSunhome, Fortress of the Legion
4xPrimeval Titan
2xSimian Spirit Guide
2xCourser of Kruphix
1xAsuza, Lost but Seeking
4xSerum Visions
4xExplore
4xAncient Stirrings
4xAmulet of Vigor
4xSummoner's Pact
3xPact of Negation
2xHive Mind
1xSlaughter Pact
0xSideboard:
1xDragonlord Dromoka
2xFirespout
1xGhost Quarter
1xHornet Queen
2xLeyline of Sanctity
1xNature's Claim
1xRest in Peace
1xSeal of the Primordium
1xSigarda, Heron's Grace
1xSwan Song
2xThragtusk
1xWrath of God

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

uninverted posted:

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Stormchaser Mage
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mana Leak
2 Spell Snare
4 Serum Visions
2 Electrolyze
4 Gitaxian Probe
1 Dismember
2 Spell Pierce
1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
2 Vapor Snag
2 Sulfur Falls
10 Island
8 Mountain
2 Steam Vents

Sounds like the consensus is to go for delver, would a list like this be a good place to start for ~$150?

Stormchaser mage is a nonbo with counterspells. I'm not really sure what to replace it with though. Also you need better mana fixing, but you probably know that already. I think you want at least one Grim Lavamancer.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Is it a bad idea to play Thermo-Alchemist in my modern burn deck? Would taking turn two "off" to cast it put me too far behind?

Right now my deck has 12 creatures in it, 4-of's Monastery Swiftspear, Goblin Guide, and Keldon Marauders(I just put them in last night, haven't played them yet, saw them get played in a pauper burn deck by Paul Cheon and liked them there). I should have a couple Grim Lavamancers soon that might find their way in there.

Just going through new cards I've opened from EMN, and it seems kinda neat to tap it for one damage, play a burn card, tap it for 1 damage, play a burn card, etc.

Alchemist does the thing Burn wants to do least, which is let your opponent trade their cards for yours 1-for-1 and take zero damage in the process. It's also an awful topdeck.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Playing any flavor of Taxes without flickerwisps seems insane to me, especially one with Wasteland Stranglers.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The dream is turn 3 new Liliana, turn 4 siege rhino, turn 5 swing 4, sac rhino to mindbender,- 2 Liliana get back rhino. I can dream.

Actually it's t2 matter reshaper -> t3 mindbender

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

:laffo: Prismatic Omen + Valakut at a GP, that's good poo poo. Someone somewhere has tried that in EDH, right?

Omen is pretty common tech in scapeshift decks actually. Lets you scapeshift for lethal with only six lands out.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Star Man posted:

Skred Red.

If you want to improve your burn matchup, add Boros Reckoners. It shuts down their attacks and they cant afford to bolt it.

Against D+T, don't bother with artifact hate, just board out high-end and add your sudden shocks and reality hemorrages. Killing everything they ever play is a more reliable win condition than Sarkhan or whatever.

I would suggest cutting godo, wurmcoil, sword, and two sweepers for reckoners and another Chandra. Maybe with the lower mana curve you could cut a mind stone for a mizzium mortars or another roast or something. Also if you replace fallouts with Kozilek's Return, you have a maindeck answer to Master and maybe can open up some space in your sideboard.

Do not copy that list from Efro's article, it's total garbage. Look up Adonis2k and find his current deck if you want to copy something.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

I'm putting together budget RG Ponza in Modern, substituting the Dark Dwellers / Stone Rain package over Blood Moons, and I'm looking for other cards to abuse with Dark Dwellers. I dunno if I'm ready to try Boom//Bust yet, but I'm looking for other cards that have good synergy with the flashback. The biggest candidates I'm seeing right now are cards like Pulse of Murasa and maybe Feed the Clan in the sideboard, but are there any staple options I'm missing?

I'm already running a bunch of Angers in the sideboard.

Magma Jet and pulse are the closest you'll get to a value spell in R/G.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Modern sideboarding question: I'm currently playing this list of UW Spirits:

Visions seems fine. Spending mana on turn one is more mana-effecient than not spending it, plus it helps dig for your sideboard hate.

I'd go

+2 Blessed Alliance
+1 Dispel
+2 Firewalker
+2 Timely Reinforcements

Not sure about Spell Pierce, Negate, or Sunlance. Might need Sunlance just because you're light on removal and can't really function through an Eidolon.

I'd cut Geists, Kira, Cryptics, and Remands to start with.

Edit: Didn't consider Searing Blaze, so maybe Kira should stay.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Serum Visions sucks but it's the best proactive turn one you can put in this build of the deck after Mausoleum Wanderer so :smith: I don't mind taking it out against Burn because I'm looking to take a more controlling angle. Kira does work against Searing Blaze and offers some protection from Lavamancer so she's definitely there to stay.

Not sold on cutting Cryptic. The card is very strong and it's also an out to a resolved Eidolon.

Negate doesn't come in for burn since it's too slow. Sunlance comes in or stays depending on how zoo-ish their build was. Spell Snare comes in because it trades up on tempo and hits all the best cards in their deck.

Appreciate the replies.

"let it sit there for two turns while I either do nothing or take a shitload of damage" is not an out to a resolved Eidolon.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

E: In R2, how hard would you have tried mulling into a Choke?

Turns is a slow-rear end deck that loses to itself pretty often, I don't think you should mull a functional hand searching for a 2-of.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

As a programmer, I'll pile onto the sentiment that critics of MTGO are generally really ignorant of just how complex the system has to be. Any time outrage begins with "can't you just..." it's time to tune out as a developer, as these people think computers are magic and can do anything.

Yea I don't envy the programming team, they built an incredibly complex system of rules and constantly have to implement cards that add new rules while breaking some of the old ones. That's a recipie for spaghetti and they don't have time to clean or ix anything because they have to do it all over again every 3 months.

That said, I was getting an error today that would not let me add new cards to my trade binder. Upon inspection, it was because I had 59,999 copies of some random common from 10 years ago in my "want" list. As a programmer myself, that's not something that should happen on it's own.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Yea the meta is pretty up in the air at the moment. Maybe check scg after the weekend to see what did well at regionals?

Martyr decks win out in leagues every now and then according to mrgo. I've never understood how that deck beats anything besides burn though.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

E: And yes that Rat deck is sweet. I totally forgot about Rabblemaster, why am I not running it in that tokens list I just posted?

because it makes spot removal live against you

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I do have a UB list with 4 Orbs but it was geared towards getting Delerium and Manic Scribe, I never really tested it. 4 Quarters does sound nice but I might be too chicken to completely give up white, if only for the SB options. Like I said though, if I can get a couple of Damnations on the cheap then UB gets a lot more appealing. Maybe something like

Use Yahenni's expertise as a budget replacement that also lets you live the Breaking/Entering dream

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Might be worth taking a look at Skred lists for some ideas, there are a couple local Skred players here and Koth is always a pain in the rear end to deal with. KLD Chandra too, but you might be better off waiting for those to drop in price.

If you're running Koth in that list you would need to add Ensnaring Bridge as well. 4 bolts aren't enough to protect it. Or maybe just run Koth in the board since it's a 4/4 haste against decks that don't pressure it. Kld Chandra seems good though.

As a skred player I would find some room for relics, they give me more easy wins then the moons do.

Chalice seems great as well somewhere in the 75.

Also get some utility lands in there. Cavern of souls, ghost quarter, that land with luck counters maybe? Find some more ways to give a middle finger to people looking to play fair interactive magic.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 19, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

myDad posted:

I think Koth/Chandra/Bridge is a whole different deck, this is a Modern take on Dragon Stompy from Legacy.

Definitely the Chalices as an upgrade. Relics seem too slow, the deck is basically aggro. Goal is to hose faster decks with Trinisphere/Magus of the Moon/Chalice/Molten Rain then beatdown in a couple turns with Rabblemaster/Dragons.

Cavern of Souls might be a good upgrade, and I like 1-of Gemstone Caverns (it puts odd games in your favor off the bat).

Agree about Koth/Bridge, just trying to explain what would make Koth work. Chandra, ToD is just a good card though, good enough for the legacy version.

Maybe relic isn't what you want, but keep it in mind when you're testing.

Also just noticed the lack of blood moons, I guess I just assumed you had them in. It's one of the most important cards in the deck and at the very least an upgrade to Magus.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TipTow posted:

Occasional lurker hoping someone can assuage some nostalgia of mine.

Once upon a time (I think the most recent set was Nemesis?) I had a "Type I" deck that was fast/suicide black: carnophages, sarcomancies, phyrexian negators, hatred. The fun "gimmick" was the elusive 2nd turn hatred to win. Had some discard in the dick for kicks. A handful of "restricted" cards (mind twist and demonic tutor come to mind) to make it "legit" vintage. I usually did pretty middling at local tournaments, usually going 2-2, but always having fun. I have long since lost my cards, and every now and then--especially when I lurk this thread--I desperately wish I still had them to take up to a tourney one night just to see what I could do.

This may be impossible to answer since there's been 15 years of sets since, but: is anything like this still remotely viable? Or should I stop wistfully longing for these cards knowing I'd get my teeth kicked in and have zero fun?

For the most part that sort of scene is dead. Some places hold "casual" events, which are the closest thing to what you're looking for. They're pretty rare though. You could try finding local stores and then checking their website or facebook for event schedules.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Vital Signs posted:

I formerly played Mono Red in Legacy before I sold out of the format. Chalice, Trinisphere, Blood Moon, Through the Breach and Sneak Attack. It seems like some Dragon Stompy variants in Modern are kind of doing the same thing. Considering picking up the deck. Talk me into or out of it.

Your options are:

* R/W prison: Moons, chalices, planeswalkers, I don't know much else because nobody I know plays it but it's competitive I guess

* Eldrazi Tron: Chalices and probably the closest equivalent of a stompy deck in modern. Just a bunch of big dumb creatures that goes over the top of whatever your opponent is doing. Very strong deck at the moment

* Skred: Moons and dragons but for the most part this deck is a lot more fair. Solidly tier 2

* Free Win Red: Chalices, Moons, and Ensnaring Bridges. Probably fits the dragon stompy gameplan the most, you're just giving a middle finger to anyone looking to actually play a game. Not very good though and probably gets boring quick.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Can any Modern goons expound on the Death's Shadow vs. Valakut matchup? Thinking about switching back to RG Breach for a little bit since more people have started showing up locally with Death's Shadow decks. I feel like Breach should be favored because of the whole burn factor but I haven't played the matchup yet, and I feel like you have to hold back and let them get down below ~10 and roast them in one go to avoid the crackback.

Not sure if you're as favored as you might think, DS decks run a ton of disruption and once they know you're not very interactive they can push for pretty fast goldfish kills. They have few answers to a titan though so I feel like they're much safer on the board than they are in your hand.

maybe a build like this where you have a lot of business spells and no breaches that potentially get stranded by a thoughtseize? I don't know valakut decks very well though so maybe breachless is just too slow for DS.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tim Raines IRL posted:

why is Urborg important for the raven's crime / loam combo? I'm not seeing it, seems like this works with any land?

makes all your lands able to cast crime

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
went 4-0 with skred last night trying to warmed up for the scg classic sunday. really liking mainboard ratchet bombs and sideboard rabblemasters

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Bauble also gives you a psuedo scry since the deck plays so many fetchlands.

Some builds are playing architects of will as an extra bauble or a budget replacement, that seems a lot better than a spellbomb.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

standard.deviant posted:

Is the green splash for Lumbering Falls really better than just using Celestial Collonnade and more basics?

The cheaper activation cost seems relevant since you're going to blow your own lands up occasionally with restore balance. I still don't think it's worth the splash though.

Deck looks sweet but it needs a faster wincon imo

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
the cool thing about death's shadow is that if you run into a deck gunning to beat it, you can just thoughtseize them repeatedly

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Procrastinator posted:

This mana base seems real strange (1 Steam Vents, 1 Wandering Fumarole, 1 Izzet Guildgate?). Is this just you working with what you have?

a swans deck placed well in a tcg states tournament, and for some reason everyone runs an exact copy of its manabase

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

triple sulk posted:

What do you all think of Counters Company (https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-counters-company#paper) in modern? Looking to finally get into the format having not really played at all since New Phyrexia/Innistrad, and doing some solitaire with it in Cockatrice it feels like a lot of fun getting the infinite mana combo off. I liked Twin a bunch when it was in standard, so I guess that makes sense as to why I like this. Just looking at the other decks in the meta, Grixis Death's Shadow seems cool, but it feels perhaps a little too focused in its win condition.

The land base isn't cheap which isn't a surprise, but I don't mind since it potentially carries over to other decks.

(Thanks to C-Euro for pointing this thread out)

Counters Company is one of the strongest decks in the current metagame, and the lands + hierarchs are useful pieces for lots of other decks. Seems like a solid choice if you're willing to drop the cash for it.

Voyager I posted:

Maindeck Eidolon of Rhetoric seems questionable in a beatdown deck, even as a silver bullet. You're a beatdown deck and the card doesn't really do anything to facilitate that game plan, so it's going to be really bad in the games you draw it naturally and don't want it for the matchup. I could see if it you're preparing for a meta that you know has a lot of combo, but otherwise it's kind of unimpressive. You might want more Rhinos as well; it's your best fatty in general and probably the default Evolution target except for maybe Baneslayer Angel?

No maindeck Pridemages also seems a little anomalous.

Storm is t1 at the moment and can't really beat an eidolon so I can see an argument for it. Living end is coming back a little as well. In a diverse meta the card does suck though.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
*skilled legacy player thinking really hard* i think it's good when i lose to reanimator and wasteland decks

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Molybdenum posted:

Re: storm gift piles: usually I just give them cards to their hands that require the most Mana to do anything, it is one way you can make them fizzle out.

yea your options are put both rituals in the yard to deny them mana, or put ritual + manamorphose in the yard to deny a card draw and hope they whiff. neither option is very good

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Here's a goofy idea I tried at modern night last night:

ive been playing mono-white eldrazi taxes for a while and it's pretty sweet. pretty much works the same as regular white taxes, except with TKS you have less feelbad moments of jamming multiple pieces of disruption but still losing to combo/ramp decks, with the downside of slightly worse mana. it's weak against non-DS aggro decks but those decks are bad in general at the moment so who cares

try it out with vials and tec edges and 4x flickerwisps instead of all that gimmicky poo poo, you might have better results. flickerwisps and displacers are hilarious against shadow decks. good job putting yourself at 7 life. oh no, where did your threat go?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

I've been playing D&T decks in modern since forever and usually a vial deck is what I take to a tournament, I just wanted to try something kinda different and use my thorns :shobon: I do think BW eldrazi taxes is probably the best version at the moment but I'm a sucker for monowhite. Have you tried shefet dunes as a "dual" land in a white eldrazi taxes build? Card is pretty great.

shefet dunes is pretty solid as a W/:d: dual, even if the ability rarely comes up. a lot of bad players scoop to the threat of activation instead of seeing if you're brave enough to spend that many resources shoving all-in

I think mono-white is much better than B/W. B/W is powerful on paper but you lose so many games to your own manabase, as opposed to mono-white where your manabase is super reliable and also cuts your opponent off entire colors in the late-game. playing mono-white with thought-knot seers has been a good way to split the difference

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
strangler sucks in the current meta imo. way too many decks that dodge lightning bolt

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

edit: why the gently caress is the rack 15 tix on magic online.

no fourth edition to provide a massive supply

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Modern Scapeshift/Breach crew- why do I keep seeing decks running 2x Relic of Progenitus mainboard? Is having a graveyard wipe + cantrip useful enough for maindeck slots? Admittedly I'm running Emrakuls so I'd rather keep my graveyard around for the chance to shuffle it all back in, but I might ended cutting down on those if not removing them altogether. Is Relic that much better than running more ramp or something like an extra Bolt?

Also, anyone try SSG in the deck? I picked up a couple and am thinking of trying them out, having better odds at a turn 3 Breach seems handy. I've seen a handful of lists running them online but it's not commonplace.

skred player not a scapeshift player, but relic gives you free wins in some matchups and the majority of modern decks are not happy to see a t1 relic. seems like a meta choice over bolt since bolt doesn't kill much in the current meta

also it plays fine with emrakul, as long as you don't sacrifice relic with the shuffle trigger on the stack. the only reason you might have to do that is if a clever opponent tries do something in response to the shuffle trigger, like snapcaster back a spell or cast living end, but even then you'll have the choice to crack relic or not

C-Euro posted:

Well yeah it's a good and useful card, don't get me wrong. I'm just wondering if the deck has some inherent weakness to decks that use the graveyard as a resource (Dredge, Grixis Death's Shadow, Storm) that I haven't picked up on. I haven't seen too many decks at my store lately that fit that description, so maindecking graveyard hate isn't something that I feel is necessary for the deck (at least when I'm playing it around here).

the most relevant interaction for your deck would probably be stopping snapcaster->counterspell. make sure to let snapcaster resolve, make them choose a target, and then crack relic in response to the snapcaster etb trigger

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 4, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
unban bloodbraid and keep SFM banned in my opinion. The meta could handle SFM but fair decks have suffered enough already

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Thisuck posted:

For modern D&T, I've seen some lists that run Smuggler's Copter. Have anyone tried that yet and how good does it feel with those?

Also the mono-white Eldrazi list looks pretty good. I'll give that a try when I get home later, and unsleeve my SFM that I put in there in hopes of an unban :smith:

copter is really good against fair decks but awkward against people doing unfair stuff quickly. I like it better than Selfless Spirit because it gives you the same hedges against sweepers and removal but has a lot more upside when it sticks around. Not good enough for B/W but mono white or white + eldrazi have inspectors and bladesplicers that need something to do.

Gonna go to GP Hartford and torn between White and White with the eldrazi splash. I feel like TKS vs. Resto depends so much on which decks you face that it's just a coinflip as to which one is better.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Does Modern Death and Taxes/Hatebears still run one or two singleton Swords Of X & Y? Feel like I used to see lists with them but haven't in a while.

no

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CompeAnansi posted:

I just bought into Gx tron and then remembered afterwards that they are printing that sideboard hate card in the next set. Hopefully it doesn't change much. :downsgun:

Tron will be fine. It's good at consistently hitting land drops and it's hard for opponents to take a turn off like that while still applying enough pressure to win before Oblivion Stone blows them out. People already run Thought-Knot Seer and Thragtusk in their sideboard to punish opponents who can take them off tron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Playing U/W in modern is good if you want lots of interaction and complex decision making, but don't want to ever actually win a game