Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
A guy playing Mardu Nahiri control went undefeated in my Modern FNM, was a pretty cool looking deck. I think this is a pretty close deck list to what he ran http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/422212#online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
So the Death and Taxes deck in the top 8 ran Banisher Priest instead of Fiend Hunter, I figured Fiend Hunter would be better since you can do the Flickerwisp shenanigans to remove 2 creatures, 1 permanently. Is there a reason to run the Banisher Priest instead of Fiend Hunter besides the 1 extra power?

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 13, 2016

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Warping Wail.

Legit.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

eSporks posted:

For sure, even game one was really sweet. He baited on a counterspell on an Infernal Tutor when he was floating PIF on top. Even if miracles chose correctly and countered the PIF instead of the Infernal Tutor, he was set up to win the following turn. That guy was just incredible at playing to his outs and he found some incredible lines only by knowing exactly what he needed to do.

Oh wow, did not catch that bit on the stream. Incredibly impressive game making skills by the storm player.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Mezzanon posted:

Lol his username is jizz???

Jazz was taken

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Rogue0071 posted:

Legacy is the greatest format.

http://imgur.com/a/5nRLi

Amazing.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Oh god City of Solitude is on the reserve list, better get a few copies now before it pulls a Moat. Also it was Visions only?

Edit: I thought it was reprinted in 4th or 5th for some reason Apparently I got it confused with Crumble for w/e reason.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

To this day I wish they'd have left Pod legal and changed the format so Pod wasn't too good. Pod was so much fun to play against.

Also play with! Pod was an insanely fun deck to pilot and play against, there were so many lines of play with that deck.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
The biggest problem is the lack of good discard outlets, also sometimes you just end up mulling to 4 because you either don't have a discard/dredge outlet. It's nice when you hit like 10 power when you untap on turn 2 but that's not very consistent and yeah, side board hate usually hoses your entire deck. Meanwhile Legacy dredge have some really sweet discard/draw outlets along with Ichorid to generate zambos every turn with bridges.

Edit:
Yeah that's probably the best version of that right now, there's the Dredgevine version that runs Vengevine and Gravecrawler, problems with discard if you want to run Prized Amalgams and Narcomebas. This is the other version, which is nice, but still lack reliable discard and no Bridge like the Vengevine version.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 25, 2016

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I honestly don't know how you could build abzan company or kiki chord on a low budget without it being terrible. You could try for a UR delver style list, by either going for UR prowess or delver with young pyro. The young Pyro build wants Snapcasters way more than a prowess build though. If you did a prowess deck with a base of something like:

4x delver of secrets
4x Monastery Swifts pear
4x stormchaser mage
4x abbot of keral keep

4x bolt
4x gitaxian probe
4x serum visions

And fill out the rest with probably mishra's bauble, forked bolt, electrolyze, vapor snag, and whatever else, 18-20 land, it could probably be pretty budget friendly. Could also replace stormchaser with young pyro too. UR delver isn't great right now but once you get Snapcasters you could go towards grixis delver, which is actually a cool and good deck.

Lava spike as well. The Grixis version gets Gurmag Anglers, which essentially turn into 1 to cast 5/5s with how fast you're planning to cycle cards to enable prowess, the Grixis version also runs Thought Scour, which is another way to power your prowess creatures and get stuff in the yard for the Gurmanglers

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Hahaha what, the Restored Balance deck won the WMCQ at Australia http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13015&f=MO

Also, do you guys think the new Tamiyo will see any kind of Modern Constructed play? Not many Bant decks running around that seems would actually want her in their 60.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Kraus posted:

Lame. I was hoping for some unbannings in Legacy.

Which ones specifically?

I was hoping they hit Terminus :X

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Elyv posted:

Spellstutter with only 6 total faeries including the stutters seems suspicious as all get out.

Stop bolts and Path, which are everywhere.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

TheKingofSprings posted:

As long as you're all in on spirits, isn't Long-Forgotten Gohei something to strongly consider vs. Favourable Winds?

What about that W/U spell land that exiles creatures to make spirits? Mutavault really doesn't seem that great in a deck with only 4 lords and those lords can't even grant evasion.

Which I guess brings me to the other point; what ultimately makes this worth playing over Merfolk? You trade more power for evasion and some protection, but there doesn't seem to be a way to provide overwhelming board presence and your only source of card advantage is Spell Queller, is it not? Is the deck basically drop Captain then Image, or bust?

I thought the mutavaults were also for faeries as well, so that he has an option to boost faerie count in a pinch for Spellstutter. But yeah, it just seems like a faerie deck that you can vial out instead of watching Bitterblossom grind someone down. At a certain point, you might even run Esper faeries, since you can do fun stuff like Gifts Ungiven Unburial Rites + Elesh Norn.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

I think they're a steal at $5 each. Card is real good.

Yeah, I was surprised how cheap they are. Oh well got a playset now in case it spikes to stupid amounts later.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

if I can resolve multiple 4-5 drops I'd rather just win off Kiki.

Someone's missing the comedic value of not letting your opponent play magic.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
There's also Sulfur Elemental for hilarity sake, Rough // Tumble is also pretty good.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Bonus posted:

What do y'all think about this deck? Todd Stevens (a streamer and scg grinder) played this version to good success on MODO. My version has a different sideboard and a few minor tweaks (maindeck relic over 3rd spellskite, uhh, that's about it). Anyway, this deck is pretty cheap to build and actually really really powerful. It's sort of like tron in that it goes over the top of decks like jund and control, but it isn't as weak to burn and affinity because of the chalices and infect is a great matchup.

You can reliably cast thought-knots and reality smashers on turn 3, but the deck doesn't fold to one crumble to dust.

There's a guy in my LGS that runs a list similar to that, but he does the black Eldrazi version without the Chalice and Matter Reshapers, he has Conduit of Ruin, Oblivion Sower, and Kozilek's Channeler. It was kinda slow but that deck hurt like hell to play against.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sigma-X posted:

Sulfur Elemental wants your deck to have like a real live mountain in it though. Grixis against DnT is going to be stuck under wastelands, ports, and thalias, so the notion of getting to 3 is going to be hard at best.

It DOES get through their quad stack of wingmares, though!

Yeah, the slightly higher cost is only mitigated by not being affected by Thalia and Wingmares, Ports and Wastelands are still a bad time. On that note, I'm slowly building up my D&T deck, just gonna go with judge promo Ports, got one last week, 3 more to go!

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

AgentSythe posted:

you monster

I play Hate Bears and Eldrazi bears in modern :v:

Also Dredge, Dredge everywhere, Legacy, Modern, Pauper, I'd play Dredge if i can get away with it in Standard just to mess with people.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Walked posted:

I also have a similar problem. We should start a support group.

Restore Balance
Dredge
Jund
Affinity
Infect
RG Tron

Currently working on Abzan Company as trade fodder allows

And in the end, I really only bother to play Jund consistently. But it makes for good playtesting I guess. And gives options. Yeah; I have no real justification

:smith:

Agreed

Hello, my name is Thisuck and I have deck collection problem. These are my modern decks.

Junk midrange
Melira Company
Jund
Dredge, both Vengevine and Bridge varieties
G/W Hatebears, Mono-white Hatebears, Eldrazi Bears
Grixis Delver and Control
Mono-Red Skred + 6 Blood Moon effects

I'm just finishing up Restore Balance, Infect, and Jeskai Nahiri right now. I make sure I only use 1 kind of sleeve for everything, including my cube, so I can swap cards out whenever, it's actually pretty awesome since it's buy once then you have access to a bunch of decks.

I want to play more Jund, but I just have a lot more fun playing the Eldrazi Bears and other fun non-Magic like decks, like Dredge.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 2, 2016

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Walked posted:

When WoTC creates a new format and destroys modern in a few years it'll be cool to watch the value of all our decks plummet

:homebrew:

Whats your Eldrazi Bears list?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eldrazi-bears-2/

That's my current testing list right now, someone mentioned they took out the Flickerwisps to get more Wingmares to tax their mana, seemed to work pretty well at least in my LGS since a lot of people like to run control decks, but that had the unfortunate effect in making my aggro matchups kinda lovely, which is the other 40% of the store :v: So I'm hoping the new Thalia puts a damper on both but you really need both out to keep them alive, since a bolt is good enough for both.

Edit: The 61 card is intentional, the 61st one being Relic, helps fuel the Stranglers and can be turned into a card draw if necessary. It also messes up Grixis and other Snapcaster/Delver shenanigans. The Sea Gate Wreckage has actually worked out ok, it draws cards when you need it since this deck is really light on that, only wished it was 1C instead of 2C :(

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 2, 2016

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

little munchkin posted:

Playing any flavor of Taxes without flickerwisps seems insane to me, especially one with Wasteland Stranglers.

Yeah I thought that too, but it seems to work fine, the Displacer is a decent alternative and also not having a WW creature is less taxing on your mana.

Edit: Honestly I play Death and Taxes because it's funny as hell when you have more Leonin Arbiters than they can pay for, so your Ghost Quarters are now Strip Mines. Also Vialing in a Leonin Arbiter in response to a fetch is the closest I can get to Stifling a fetch, without playing Squelch.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 2, 2016

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Snacksmaniac posted:

I need the cheapest Zooicide list for this weekend. Assume I have the real lands and the commons/uncommons (baubles).

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-zooicide-25606#paper
I think the consensus is to take out the goyf. People usually replace the goyf with Hooting Mandrills, since it accomplishes the same thing but also having trample is nice.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 3, 2016

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Gerry Thompson seems to be a big fan of the card in Grixis decks. I'm going to pick some up at $20 or under. The card has a lot of potential still.

It's a nice card in Grixis, but for any tempo based decks like Delvers of all varieties, the card is not what you want to be using to achieve your goal.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Hah SCG Syracus's Modern top 8 is: 3x Jund, 2x Dredge, UW Control, R/G Breach, and Infect

Edit: ANNNNDDD DREDGE WINS!

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 15, 2016

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm ting to see if a UB or Grixis delve-emerge deck can work in modern. Turn 2 tasigur/angler into turn 3 elder deep fiend on their upkeep seems pretty good.

I'm curious as to if it can actually work.

Might as well play faeries at that point though.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hen3HuF1P7k

Besides Lepore doing this. I mean, it wouldn't be "too" bad to unban Jace right? Also I think there should be a "testing" type temporary unban for modern. Like "we're gonna temp unban these cards to see what they do to the game, and if it's bad, then we reban" like a 6 month period or something.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

I don't like foils.

HERESY!

Unban Jace, Stoneforge, and Bloodbraid.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Now you can have double Jace action!

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Mezzanon posted:

Awesome :spooky: spirits write up

Thanks for the write up Mezz, could you share the deck list with the updated SB please?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Wow, thanks for the fast response!

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

I can't even get sanctioned Modern to fire at a store where people pour a bunch of money into Masters sets buying packs looking for that one Commander single they need and trade in their fetchlands and Noble Hierarchs and other power cards for more packs.

It's time for you to buy that single and trade them for the fetches/modern stables!

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Except that the card they usually want is only worth ten dollars at the most.

At least they're supporting LGS?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Even the guy that runs the place thinks they should just buy the god drat singles they want. He'll even order it for you from Cool Stuff Inc. or ChannelFireball if you ask. He'd also love it if we had Modern fire every month just to get me to shut up about it and so people buy some of his Modern singles.

Part of the problem is that he has Modern scheduled at a time that no one can remember. Who the gently caress remembers "second-to-last Friday of the month"? He changed it to the last Friday of the month, and great loving timing because the last holidays of the year are at or near the end of the month.

RIP, I remember reading the second-to-last Friday and that just confused the hell out of me why anyone would schedule it that way. The new LGS I'm going to now is gauging how many people actually wants modern tournies. Hopefully it's a decent amount of people so we can get that to fire consistently. I'm going there right now because it's closer to where I live now and they also do free FNMs with prizes.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Ask me about the time I killed a lethal Inkmoth with a Thalia in play and only 1 mana untapped and no Vial.

"Hey Suicidesteve, how did you kill a lethal Inkmoth Nexus with a Thalia but only 1 mana untapped and no Vial?"

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Thanks for asking! I'd been leaving Port up for the Inkmoth all game, I played a Stoneforge that was going to allow me to get a Jitte hit in next turn, but he EOT Crop Rotated to Waste my Port. He untapped,activated, tapped down to 1 mana to cast a lethal pump spell, and got owned by ABOLISH. You know that thing people do where they perk up and go faster when they know they're about to win? This is the only time I've ever seen someone do that but then immediately do it in reverse.

2nd main he played a forest and I said "Let's see the Vines." He showed it and died horribly to Jitte.

:golfclap: got'em

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I had a rash of annoying people playing D&T one year when I was on Lands.

No one expects Tower of the Magistrate to be crop rotated for.

gently caress your stupid jitte and your swords and your batterskull.

Wow rude.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Rejection is a much better card for hosing Tron than just Affinity, although it's really useful in that match up as well. I personally like it better than negates, but then most of the modern decks I play have really weak match ups vs Tron, so I tend to favor Rejection much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Did anyone catch the list of that UR delver deck with 3 main deck blood moon for the SCG open last weekend?