Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

^^ "Nic Fit" is just a catchall for the GBrx builds - they're anywhere from 3-5 colors, have a bit of a ramp strategy, and win via creatures. It was just a joke name from the Source forums where someone said they had a deck that they thought would be "a nic fit for the current meta". The misspelling stuck.
That's really funny and way different than what my brain imagined the deck's origin, which is that it was a grindy BGx control deck that won recurring Punishing Flame for 1 net damage a turn off Grove of the Burnwillows and your opponent lost to time every game, and you never got to go smoke, hence the deck gives literal nicotine withdrawl fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I want to get back in to legacy, I loved playing Loam Pox in 2015 when I was grinding, what sort of updates does this list need:

1 Vengeful Pharaoh
1 Nether Spirit

3 Liliana of the Veil

1 Chains of Mephistopholes

1 Raven's Crime
1 Big-boy Pox
4 Smallpox
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Duress
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Crop Rotation
2 Sinkhole
3 Life from the Loam
3 Entomb
4 Hymn to Tourach

3 Mox Diamond
1 Cursed Scroll
1 Powder Keg

2 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Snow-Covered Forest
4 Bayou
4 Wasteland
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Mishra's Factory
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yagmoth
2 Thespian's Stage
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Dark Depths

SB
3 Chalice of the Void
3 Leyline of the Void
2 Massacre
2 Threeball
1 Pithing Needle
1 Helm of Obedience
1 Surgical Extraction
1 Syphon Life
1 Bind (TECH A.F.)

----

I totally understand that trying to split the difference between Loam Depths, Mono-Black Prison Pox and BGanswers.dec is pulling me in three directions and none of them is entirely reliable, so I'm open to suggestions as to which are the most dependable. I've got access to all sorts of maybeboard stuff, the only cards I don't have that would obviously materially improve this deck are Tabernacle and The Abyss. What are the kids playing in Legacy these days? Do I need to bring in Guttural Response or move Chains to the board? How do I improve the shell of Loam Depths?

Does Filth have a place in the board to get my guys through blockers?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 11, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

L0cke17 posted:

I'm a big fan of dark ritual in this style of deck. Ritualing out sinkholes and hymns or smallpoxes is awesome. Also more sinkholes. Many decks cant beat loam+wasteland if you also sinkhole their 1 basic.

e: Dark rit also pushes you to play more 1 drop discard effects to maximize the effectiveness of 3 black on turn 1.

My problem with Dark Ritual is that it is SUCH a dead draw after turn 1. Even lands turn into Raven's Crime late game. Mox Diamond is my primary acceleration.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wat. You had grindstone down and they played servant? :psyduck:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So I should mb my Leyline/Helm of Obedience combo in Loam Depths now is what you're saying?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

You should probably not play the deck but yes. My friend and I brewed a RiP/Helm version of Miracles a few weeks ago to deal with all the Deathrite decks and it was doing pretty well.

OK, what do I cut/swap?

I have the other pieces to lean more towards the Dark Depths combo or more towards Pox/Sinkholing them into the ground or a pure discard strategy, so other suggestions welcome. Maindeck Leyline of the Void feels super-spicy already.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gnumonic posted:

Thanks for the tip about SCG/GPs though. I'll hit up the next one that's close and clear everything out.

As someone who just dumped 90% of my collection, I can say that using TCGPlayer for anything over $20 buylist is a big help. Basically, grab Scryglass, scan your collection, and buylist out anything that's under $20, then take the high-end singles and sell them on your own. I used CK because they're local to me, but also because they pay the most (because their sell prices are so much higher than everyone else). Vendors at a GP are OK I guess, but they'll lowball you as much as they can get away with, since you're captive to the six or seven of them buying.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So Perish or Virtue's Ruin out of BG shells?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There's always leylines.dec

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

Censor seems like it might be a legit card.

Aven Mindcensor is a great card and needed a reprint badly

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Had a breakthrough on Loam Depths last night during the gauntlet; the card that I want to have is not Ratchet Bomb/Powder Keg, it's Necroplasm. Tutorable, generally a wrath three turns in a row, grows and recurs as needed. Kills everything in the format, including all opposing tokens and Insectile Aberrations the turn it hits. It can also dodge "being in the 'yard" to satisfy Nether Spirit if I need to.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What on earth is Kozilek's Return doing in the 75? If you're trying to dodge Hydroblasts, Volcanic Fallout is totally uncounterable.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

good in the death and taxes matchup since you may not reliably have sorcery speed red mana

Both are instants though? Is there some pro-red creature in D&T I don't know about?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 29, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

This is always correct btw

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Sexual Shiite posted:

To echo others, play storm, but don't practice and don't study card interactions, just memorize win condition combos, and present them when you have them, then report back how many scoop

If you're good enough, you can get them to do this without even playing your wincon, a la LSV.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

uninverted posted:

Ballista is probably great if you're running into a lot of affinity, the mirror, or other small creature decks. I might've also written Rhonas off too quickly if builds other than the one I was using are better at turning him on. The win condition choice is a total judgement call, but I feel pretty strongly that you should max out on viziers and devoted druids before adding more than one or two infinite mana sinks. You can almost always use infinite mana to get to a win or an irrecoverable advantage with this deck.

Hurricane is modern-legal. If you're ahead on life, it's a win. If you're behind, you can draw any game.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Should I play Loam Depths or mono B Pox tomorrow at the Legacy 1k?

I know Loam is more powerful, but Pox makes the opponent more miserable.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fair enough.

Tech choice: exploration, explore or summer bloom to make life from the loam the most gross?

E: or Bind, for maximum fetchable trolling

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 26, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Do be aware that your Utopia Sprawls will fall off any shocks you play them on under a Blood Moon, as they are Enchant Forest, not Enchant land.

For the same reason, Llanowar Elves seem better than Arbor Elf.

v-- Fair enough, retracted.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 5, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

Chalice in the deck with a 10 1 mana spells doesn't seem very good.

That's when you bring in Threeball and Bosejiu/Cavern of Souls! :eng101:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Star Man posted:

Trinisphere doesn't change the converted mana cost of cards ya dingus

Yeah, but spending CoS Mana on threeball's added cost will let you get around Chalice

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cactrot if I need to send you to Vegas with chaliices I can.

But yes, play Infect because Berserk is awesome

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I turned my entire magic collection except for one legacy deck into 1/3 of an Acura. :):hf::)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

No kitties.

A good list. :supaburn:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

New Unset this Christmas means new full art non-zendikar lands

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/ANRLizzy/status/876104853625356288

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

it's because blue is the most noble color and to play mono u is to play magic the way God and Richard Garfield intended
Agreed.
_____/

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

Also a Jace unban without a huuuge supply boost would cause it to be like a 200 dollar card overnight.

(This is the real reason anyone says they want Jace unbanned btw - pure fygmism)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

stumbled across this in the wild, lol'd heartily and thought of ya'll

Only registered members can see post attachments!