Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

dogstile posted:

Play Orcs. Smash gits. Chop Stunties. Bash Humies. Break vamps. Humiliate the everbitch.

Waaagh!

:orks101: :orks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I loving hate Azhag's quest battles. Not only do they start ridiculously late, not only do they require you to run a goblin all over the map, from Brettonia to the Empire to the Norselands, not only are the unique items not that great (except the Crown of Sorcery), but the final battle for Slagga's Slashas, the last quest item, is a loving joke. You've done all this ridiculously fun poo poo like rush an Empire artillery and rifle detachment encamped on a cliff, beat up Brettonian knights who start surrounding you and with trebuchets on a hill facing you, fighting a combined force of Undead and Chaos in an abandoned underground city, what can we do to top that? I know, you can go fight half a stack of savage orcs. It's the wettest of farts in that whole stupid chain. Someone needs to rebalance Azhag's quests entirely, they start way too late for any benefit, especially if you start with Grimgor, the far better legendary lord choice.

Korgan fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 9, 2016

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Triskelli posted:

There's no mechanical penalties and any regiment of renown can work their way into a Dogs of War army, but there's plenty of restrictions on the other armies hiring certain mercenaries from this list. Bretonnians don't hire any mercenaries, while the rest break down on predictable lines. Dwarfs won't work for Elves or Orcs, Orcs ditto, etc. Interestingly most of the Tileans refuse to work for Skaven, while the Cursed Company refuses to work for any undead faction.

Also, just updated my earlier post with a few more Regiments I dug up or cut for time.

Are you sure you did? I'm not seeing an edit. :v:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Decus posted:

For Very Hard campaigns as greenskins or empire I recommend taking the +leadership from general aura ASAP in order to negate the penalty from difficulty. +5 is a lot more than you'd think and even moreso when the game is default hitting you with -5. Shaken begins at 32 leadership and on very hard you're more likely to eat penalties like "losing combat" or even "losing combat significantly" and thus all of the casualty related penalties as well. The unit you have eating those penalties will hold out that much longer while your other guys flank if you have the +5.

For reference, in the same table the penalty is listed at -5 the penalty for being flanked is listed at -6. Without taking the +5 leadership to negate the penalty you can basically pretend that all of your units are being flanked at all times and occasionally super-flanked when the AI actually flanks them. Similarly, don't underestimate the +5 leadership to certain unit techs. Seemingly small increases or decreases in numbers are actually a big deal here.

Are people playing as orcs and not immediately racing to the bigger leadership aura skills? Your warboss having an aura the size of your army is a must have, especially if you get lucky and pick up a "+15% aura size when attacking" skill. Like, just drop 3 in choppas for that extra damage on all your orc units, 1 on I dunno, tunnel boss or something, underground battles are something you should be doing a lot of anyway, and then take that clicky and drop 3 on bellower for that +40% aura size. More units with his leadership boost = less units running away with poo poo leadership.

I just checked and Grimgor managed to pick up two +30% aura size skills, one for attacking and one for besieging, as well as having all three in bellower. His aura on the siege of Akendorf is covering the entire walls :v:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Iron-Hard and Angry: Win a campaign battle, having completely wiped out all enemy units.

*win literally any fight against VC*

I got that one by chasing down a fleeing Thorgrim Grudgebearer. He was the sole survivor of the previous battle, and was on one health. Doom diver hit him, battle over, cheevo get.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Triskelli posted:

So those crazy Russians have managed to datamine a roadmap to future DLCs and expansions. CA has already claimed this stuff is outdated but lots of interesting info regardless.

Things of note:

Expansion 1 is "The New World" with High Elves, Dark Elves, and Lizardmen.

Expansion 2 is "Gods of Chaos"

We see numbered DLC for all the remaining major factions (including Chaos Dwarfs!)

Plus dlc5 looks to be a large DLC pack that includes changes to Beastmen, Bretonnia, and adds Wood Elves.

Brayherds, huh? What's the bet they'll be like the Waaagh armies Greenskins get?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Blacktoll posted:

I really hope they do the subtle crossover from 40k into this. A powerful, rare chaos artifact.

A chainsword.

They had a 40k crossover in the Dark Shadows campaign on the tabletop. The winners of the campaign got three magical items that just so happened to match the descriptions of a powerfist, flamer, auspex scanner etc that they were free to use in any battle from then on.

They're all listed here. See if you can guess which is what!

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Gejnor posted:

Oouuh that video just turned private!
I Juuuuust had time to see it, goddamned its nice!

Edit: Found another link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hw1Zf_S0BE

Not sure how long it'll last either!

It's gone. :v:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

You the real mvp

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

quote:

New random, global campaign events that generate greater carnage in battle

I wonder what this could be

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Is the bonus from goblin sawmilz global or just province?

Just province.

immortal flow posted:

Thanks for the advice! Expand south fast as possible, bring more cavalry to dwarf matches seems to be the idea then. Time for round 3.

I went the complete opposite on my Orc campaigns and moved north to smash the (blue) Dwarfs immediately. Thorgrim and the Slayer King are loving bastards and will singlehandedly gently caress up your armies so I wanted them dead and gone asap. Plus taking Karaz a Karak and turning it into a greenskin fortress pumping out gemstones to finance more boys is always fun. Hell that entire province makes a nice buffer to pump out cash and protect your northern flanks from the other dwarfs further north, they have to take the same two routes to get to you if you hold the province and it's laughably easy to defend and intercept inbound stunties.

Basically my strategy was taking all of Death Pass so you can start building speciality building chains to lower costs on black orcs and big uns, who will be your mainstay for a while. While you're building up, start a second army to protect your iron mine from dwarfs and the Red Fangs. Mop up the lumberyard in the north with Grimgor/Azhag then move him into the Silver Road and take out the Dwarf capital immediately, then take out the Bloody Spears who remain in the province. That should give you some breathing room from arsehole high kings/slayer kings and extra dosh for big uns and cavalry, and from there you can have fun declaring on the rest of the Badlands or going and sacking the Eastern Border Princes for ~25k gold at the province capital.

Or ignore all this and try something else and see how it works, have fun bash dwarfs :orks101:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

How exactly are you supposed to fight Savage Orc spam armies. I'm up against Top-Knotz WAAAAGHs which include 8-10 troll units apiece and everything else is a big-un.

Get a bunch of wolf riders/spider riders/whatever your favourite range cavalry unit, turn on skirmish mode, then lead them around the map and laugh as you use the Skaeling and Varg tactics for yourself. Otherwise a bunch of ranged units on foot and some decent infantry that won't run in a second, send the range around the flanks of your melee line once you're engaged and shoot the savages in the flank and back. Savage Orcs lost leadership in the last patch, they'll break easier than before, especially with ranged attacks to the flanks and back.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Pretty sure Beastmen are just going to be like Orcs but with even less missile troops and more vanguard deployments, gameplay wise. Hell someone listed a bunch of upcoming dlc files they found in the game and it looks like they may even get their own version of the Waaagh army mechanic. Should be fun.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Nash posted:

Got a link to this by any chance?

Should be in Triskelli's post here.

Otherwise it's here.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Vargs posted:

Before this game's release, someone went ahead and made huge effortposts about the units in each tabletop army. Anyone have a link to the beastmen one?

I gotchu fam

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

The Chaos Beastmen are the remains of Humans affect by the warp. Many of them are malformed babies that were left in the forest to die, but rather then perishing they were adopted into pre-existing savage tribes. The Beastmen hate the civilisation that rejected them and desire to burn it all to the ground. While they serve the same gods as the Chaos Warriors, they consider the warriors to be tryhard posers while they view themselves as innate beings of Chaos. There is a long running guerilla conflict raging between the Beastmen and the Wood Elves for control of Athel Loren. The Beastmen want to control this softspot between dimensions as they believe they may be able to use it to rip a new warp gate open in the middle of the Old World. The Elves and forest spirits will fight to the last to prevent this from happening.

Beastmen primarily live in the forests of the old world and are another candidate for an early DLC faction.

Gors are the most common form of Beastman and they are the Medium Infantry of the montrous army. They can be armed with a variety of different weapons and like most Beastmen deploy in fast moving mobs and skirmish formations.

Ungors are a smaller and weaker kind of Beastman. They are ok in a fight though they have somewhat low morale. Their job is to support the heavier Gors and move quickly to flank the enemy.

Ungors can also wield bows to serve as ranged skirmishers. These Ungor Raiders are suprisingly dangerous for a low status unit, but they still suffer the low morale of all Ungors.

When flanks need covering or enemy artillery need to be munched, the beastmen send in their Chaos Warhounds. These fast creatures are good on the attack though they have poor armour and are easily spooked.

The versatile Beastman Chariot can fill a fast skirmishing role or smash into the flanks with a deadly charge attack. Beastmen are terrible at building things however, and these chariots are a bit more flimsy then other nation's machines.

Minotaurs are huge, fast moving flankers that can tear through most enemy units. These blood thirsty monsters can be hard to command once they're in a fight, and their light armour means you need to keep them away from enemy ranged units.

The heavy elite infantry of the Beastmen are the Bestigors. They are disciplined enough to fight in ranks, wear heavy armour and wield great weapons. The Bestigors form the anchor of any Beastman army.

If a tuskgor manages to avoid being eaten it eventually grows into a Razorgor. The massive, mutated boars smash into enemy ranks and tear away at whoever is still standing. They're fast moving creatures and can run down the flanks to hit heroes and special units.

Razorgors can also be tamed to a sufficient degree to pull chariots. These Razorgor Chariots are better suited to a line breaking role then the Tuskgor chariot, but their engineering is not any better.

Centigors are medium cavalry that can be equipped with either spears or great weapons for charge attacks, or throwing axes for heavy ranged support.

The light flyers of the Beastman army are the Harpies. These monsters are good for hunting artillery and covering flanks though they can't stand up in a prolonged brawl.

Beastmen can recruit giants. They're just like the other giants you've seen.

Chaos Spawn also end up in Beastmen armies. These unpredictable monsters add some deadly horror to the beast's army.

Cygors throw massive rune covered boulders at their enemy thereby filling the role of long range artillery support. Their single eye is blind to the material world and instead sees the threads and flows of the warp. The Cygor can see all forms of magic and gains bonuses when fighting any magical being or anything armed with magical weapons. Spell casters freak out then the Cygor comes close as they can sense that it wants to eat their souls.

The Ghorgon is a terrifying monster, so mutated by warp energies that even the Beastmen don't truly know what may have originally been. The Ghorgon will shred any unit it comes into close combat with and will feast on its victims. It lacks armour however so it needs to be kept clear of gun lines and monster hunters.

One of the most bizarre creatures in all Warhammer is the Jabberslythe. This winged warp mutant hits hard in battle, can fire at range and is so ugly that nearby units run the risk of going insane if they look at it. It's a versatile and dangerous top-tier unit for the Beastmen.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

^^ Yep. I use Night Goblin personally, but for all intents normal should do fine as well.

Night Goblin archers are fantastic and you should replace all your regular Goblin archers with them asap. Poison ranged attacks are amazing for loving the enemy over, and Night Goblins' vanguard deployment and remaining hidden while moving in any terrain means you can set up some nice flanks/ambushes.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Kainser posted:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/180618/quick-q-a-call-of-the-beastmen/

What I found interesting:

Which probably is 100% accurate. Not very promising for factions like lizardmen though which would be 100% new skeletons and have a lot of unique ones.

Lizardmen are probably going to be on hold until game 2 or 3 though.

Skaven on the other hand...

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

... are also probably going to be on hold until game 2 or 3. My money is on them being the big hype drawcard for a future installment, along with maybe a proper underworld map layer to replace the current underway system. I guess they could be an underway-using horde faction who can attack cities from underway stance but that would be a pretty lame cop-out when they're supposed to have their whole under-empire thing going on. Surface cities wouldn't make much sense for them though and I can't think of any other way to represent them.

I dunno man, they're going to do something with Athel Loren and the Wood Elves, and I'd bet money they'll do a reskinned version of it with Skaven and that swamp surrounding Skavenblight and the bigger swamp down in the Badlands. Under-Empire may show up later but the current map is basically topside Skaven hunting grounds, just use those two impassable swamps and boom, there's your Skaven topside territory. Give them Underway stance like Dwarfs and Greenskins and you can hold off on adding an underground map forever.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Decus posted:

Yes, if you don't tell them to attack anything they'll attack whatever they see. If you do tell them to attack something they'll likely attack any army on the way to it as well. If you don't tell them to attack anything and they don't see anything to attack they'll just raid, even if it's your own territory.

The only difference I've noticed between brayherds and waaaagh is waaaagh tend to be kind of low tier units in 20 stacks whereas brayherds are decent-high tier units in 14-15 stacks. And I guess the raiding is less damaging--well, not at all damaging--so you don't have to manage them as carefully. If the game is properly giving them ambush chances in their autoresolves that's probably another point in their favour as well.

I've heard people suggest that you can let your greenskin waaaagh get almost wiped out but not actually wiped out to let them global recruit better units, but I'm not entirely sure if that's true. I mean, I'd think the waaaagh would have its statically bad pool of units to recruit given it's technically a separate faction but maybe they clone your global recruit pool to them on creation? Either way, could be an advantage of greenskin waaaagh over brayherds if their starting buildings are basic.

I think Waaagh armies were rebalanced as they had a preference for recruiting Arachnaroks and other high tier killy units. If they've refined brayherds to recruit decent units then maybe they'll rebalance at some point, who knows. Personally I like having the lovely chaff, makes it feel more like a proper greenskin horde.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Nash posted:

When you save your game, they show a map of where your faction is. There are blank spaces to the south, east and west of the old world. Do you think these areas will be added in with this release or will they be the theaters for the other two standalone releases?

To the west could be Ulthuan and Lustria, the east could be world's edge mountains. South obviously Tomb King area. Possible Empire:TW style continent movement.

I doubt they'll add the extra zones in anything short of the planned two full expansions. Those areas are full of the actual playable warhammer races, adding all of them at once to this game would leave them pretty stuffed for the expansions. We'd get what, Total War: Warhammer 2: Grand Cathay and Warhammer 3: I don't know, who lives in the Ind and Khuresh?

For reference, this is apparently a planned expansion map the dataminers found in the game files:

And this is the warhammer world:

Outside of that game files map, there's not much officially in the game lore but Grand Cathay, Hobgoblin not-Mongols attacking Cathay, probably some beastmen and more greenskins of various types.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

wiegieman posted:

I actually have armies that are solid skeletons, just because autoresolve hates anything with one model and a large hp pool and loves anything with lots of models.

shameful

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

For Greenskins, you've got poo poo morale. Make sure you're surrounding and flanking the enemy to give them leadership penalties and even things up. Poison attacks also have leadership penalties, use Night Goblin archers or spider rider archers vanguard deployed from behind and they'll ruin peoples' day.

As well as this, invest in the warboss leadership aura upgrades. It'll help your boys stay in longer, and you'll pick up further upgrades as you go through the campaign. My Grimgor ended up with a leadership aura that covered a quarter of the map. His boys usually fought to the death.

Attacking:

Besieging:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Oh hey speaking of buffs, dudes having trouble with greenskins vs dwarfs, bring a shaman. Big Waaagh buffs will let you slaughter armoured dwarfs, Little Waaagh debuffs will make them run away especially combined with flanking and poison morale penalties. The damage spells seem meh but the buffs and debuffs will win you battles. Bring a shaman in every army.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Are any of the factions especially friendly to a TW novice or shall I just do what I want to do and WAAAAAAAGH (that's a fantasy orc thing still right)

Orcs are fine to start with, just remember to always be outnumbering and surrounding the enemy. Flanking and rear charges gently caress enemy morale and do lots of damage, you'll need this as Orc morale is kinda poo poo. Other tips are Always Be Charging as Orc charge defence is poo poo but their charge bonus is good, use Goblins as ablative armour against range-heavy armies and Night Goblins as sneaky little poisonous shits who can flank around invisibly and then stack a poison debuff on your enemies, Boar Boy Big 'Uns are your best anti-cavalry unit, keep trolls near your warboss of they'll run away really easily, invest in the skills to improve your warboss' leadership aura to help mitigate poo poo Orc leadership, and you'll need 17 units in an army before it can spawn a free Waaagh army to follow you around and help you krump gits.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Gork and Mork are brutally cunning and cunningly brutal mate, stunties just need to get good

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do Boar Boy Big'Uns and Boar Chariots benefit from the Betta Stickaz upgrade?

Boar Boy Big 'Uns yes, I forget if Boar Chariots do.

Arcsquad12 posted:

There needs to be some more settlements in the central badlands. I get all the stuff hugging the mountains, but that expanse in the middle is just so drat boring. There's a gigantic piss stain swamp with huge attrition penalties attached to it, but you will never need to cross it because there is nothing there.

I still suspect that swamp is going to end up a Skaven aboveground outpost in the future, same as the swamp where Skavenblight is meant to be between Tilea and Estalia.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

RentACop posted:

edit: whatever drat meme won't load anyway.

You gotta wait a bit before trying to link an upload from imgur now because they made their site faster and better and that means more waiting time

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

So what are the other three free units CA you piece of poo poo I swear I won't preorder this

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

LemonAIDS posted:

It's just 3 units. The picture that announced it has a & that looks a lot like a 6 and a ton of people think there's 6

That's hilarious.

Good job CA, looking forward to Wurrzag and Skarsnik funtimes.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is wurzagg a savage war boss or a shaman?

A shaman who can lead an army.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

fnordcircle posted:

Has there ever been a mod that let you use Sarthoreal? I've searched the workshop to no avail but if they can get Isabella Carstein as a hero you'd think we could use Sarthoreal.

You can use him without mods, just beat the grand campaign and he should unlock.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Plan Z posted:

I think it also lets you forgo diplomacy penalties for standing on land without military access.

Nah, I've underway moved onto neutral territory a lot of times as Greenskins, it pisses them off.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Gejnor posted:

They did it.

They made Greenskins, or atleast Skarsnik, actually *FUN* to play!

Greenskins...weren't fun???

Mans posted:

clicking the wurrzag free dlc transfer button on the steam page opens my warhammer game page where you select your mods but i'm not sure where exactly do i have to click to get the DLC

http://store.steampowered.com/app/404015/

Or

Click on Wurrzag and there should be a download option.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I tried a new Greenskins campaign in an attempt to confederate both the Crooked Moon and the Bloody Hands so I could gain access to all of the Greenskin legendary lords.

Turns out confederated legendary lords don't get wounded, they die forever.

RIP Skarsnik, having you for that single turn was p sweet. :v:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Mans posted:

do i have to confederate a faction to get their legendary lords or can my grimgor recruit wurzarg by beating the snot out of him?

Confederate him. Be careful though, my confederated Skarsnik died forever the turn after I got him.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

theDOWmustflow posted:

Random segway but I recently discovered that Pontus is like a running gag/meme across the Total War community. Why was the inclusion of Pontus being in Rome Total War 2 so berated across the web?

TWCentre is a shithole with the kind of dickheads who threw tantrums about women being included in Rome 2, made mods to make them weaker:biotruths: and generally behave like entitled little shits with a third graders understanding of history and how actually, heh, those javelins are slightly too long, boy, I hope the modeller got fired for that mistake, let me link you five pages of wordvomit about how javelins back then really looked.

Pontus being in the game was wrong and bad and ruined their preorders.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

meatsaw posted:

Thank you both. I know these are probably basic questions, but I still haven't been able to find the answers for them.

Is line of sight relevant in battle? Starting a battle so far it looks like I could see the entire enemy army from the beginning - is LOS from trees and landscape a thing in this game? Flanking the enemy army with quarrelers on the other side of a patch of forest they seemed to ignore my guys until I opened up on them - but couldn't find any immediate indicator whether they could see me or not, and like I said it looked like I could see all of them from the beginning.

LoS is a thing, if you can't field dudes with stalk (hidden in all terrain) then you'll want to break LoS for your hidden guys. Most units can hide in forests so take advantage of that. If you're not sure, the little circles at the bottom of the unit card when you mouse over or select a unit will tell you things like Frenzy, Hides in Forest, Strider etc. Mouse over and see what your dudes have.

The winged skull circle means the unit causes fear, I forget what the eye means. The ones below that are buffs and debuffs.

During the battle the blue markers will pop up over those cards on the bottom of your screen to indicate if they're running, moving, firing, or hidden. Keep an eye out for an eye (:haw:) if you want to know if your dudes are hidden.

Korgan fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 21, 2016

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Davincie posted:

confederate wurrzag? when i did greenskins after he came out the option simply wasnt there

You can definitely confederate Wurrzag, but he's bugged. If you confederate him his upkeep reduction for savage orcs goes from -50% to +30%, which is kinda really lovely for the LL with all the combat bonuses for savages.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Dezztroy posted:

Sidesaddle was (and still is) an actual real thing though, unlike boob armor.

This is a really dumb thing to complain about.

yeah but would this ogre

ride sidesaddle on this stonehead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

my dad posted:

Isn't the backstory for this that Ogre mercenaries dress up as the most badass warrior they've seen, and this guy saw a housewife beating the everloving poo poo out of an abusive husband with a rolling pin and she impressed him more than anyone else? I remember some goon talking about this before.

Yes and that was probably me again because that is a fantastic model and GW should have kept doing things like that instead of super serious grimdark

• Locked thread