Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Someone posted about a spreadsheet some guy made that let you compare unit stats earlier in the other thread, but it was missing some important things. I added unit's abilities, attributes (this is what the files call stuff like Vanguard Deployment), and their attack delay, as well as lazy DPS/Armor Piercing DPS calculations. I also made it slightly prettier. Some of it is still a little bit messy, but I figured someone might get some use out of it since comparing units in game is kind of a pain in the balls.

Anyone who wants to can view it here. You'll need to make a copy if you want to mess with it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mukip posted:

I disagree with the OP assessment about Empire spearmen. They seem to be only slightly worse than swordsmen against infantry and have less upkeep, which matters when running multiple stacks. They make fine chaff with tech/lord bonuses and are probably the best chaff vs Chaos in particular, given all their cavalry and large targets.

Their stats seem very similar, but Spearmen are actually significantly weaker (I assume we're talking about the ones without shields because the shielded ones aren't cheaper) even if the 30% missile deflection from the shield is irrelevant. The difference between Swordsmen's damage (unmodified) at 22/6 (base/ap), and Spearmen's at 20/5 is fairly minor, but because Spearmen attack significantly slower, Swordsmen end up doing quite a bit more damage (~65%), and that's before you take their higher melee attack into account.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Fangz posted:

You seriously do not need a public order building in *every single settlement*. I strongly doubt you need a +growth in every city either, and the number of +growth you need actually scales entirely linearly with the number of cities you have and so the number of settlement upgrades you need to buy. There's no sense in which two +growth is required for a 2 city province and that's somehow also enough for a four city province that has double the number of settlements to build up.

Except that the amount of growth you need to get another point goes up for each point you have banked, so getting to a 5 growth surplus is not just 5x a 1 growth surplus. Maxing out minor settlements, no matter how many there are, takes no time at all.

Kimsemus posted:

So is your posting. :toot:

This may or may not be true, but Radius really does make garbage, low effort mods with very little care taken for either balance or differentiating factions or really anything else. This is why he always releases a 40 unit pack and an idiotic re-balance mod two days after the game comes out.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 8, 2016

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kimsemus posted:

A lot of the units have new models, but yeah, some of the new units are a little top-tier heavy.

They probably have new variants, which is rather different. Giving Black Orcs new weapons is literally a single line of text.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

peer posted:

Yeah, radious is indeed the guy to blame if for some reason you didn't totally love his Immortal Chariots and Immortal Elephants.

You'll be pleased to know that he has added "Warboss Immortulz" to the Orcs if you need your Immortal fix.

Zephro posted:

I've never tried a Radious mod but surely this defeats the point of having very different factions? Dwarfs are explicitly designed not to have cavalry, for instance...

Yes.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mazz posted:

Hmmm, so I'm fleshing out the settlements mod, and theres a table about downgrading settlements... for some reason only bretonnia and VC actually have a downgrade path to the previous settlement level. Every other faction does not, they just stay at the same settlement level.

That's loving weird. I wonder if it has to do with sacking provinces and removing garrisons? Why is it only brt and VC? What the gently caress, CA?

Wallet you were always better at this than me, any ideas?

You'd have to test it but I wouldn't be surprised if that table was bullshit; there's a gently caress-load of tables that do absolutely nothing, that are relics from past games or aborted mechanics or whatever—there's still one in there defining artillery models for howitzers and poo poo. It's possible that you could once downgrade your own buildings or something and they axed it, so those junctions are no longer required. Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if some earlier version still had squalor-esque mechanics so being able to downgrade was actually required, where-as everything is a strict upgrade now. The downgrade junctions only show up for those two factions, but everyone does have upgrades from ruins to a tier one capital building, so it isn't as if the ruined versions don't exist for them.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 8, 2016

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mazz posted:

Released the tier 4 minors for all factions mod, grab it on Steam if you're using any of the smaller ones since I'm going to delete those in a couple days. Also, looking into it the AI did need some prodding to get them to go that high on the settlement tree, since they had bounds set at the existing settlement tiers. Fixed that too.

Have you poked around in the diplomacy AI at all? I'm not familiar with it, but I'm sort of wondering how lovely it would be to modify the AI's willingness to become someone's vassal.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Decus posted:

The OP suggests that you move 25% slower with siege gear in your army but I'm just not seeing that in the databases and haven't really noticed it in-game either. I know some of the mods have been changing it so siege lowers your campaign movement but by default this time around CA set the action points for every unit to the same value so nothing should either speed you up (cavalry armies in previous games) or slow you down (siege in previous games) on the campaign map. If I had to guess, this was to encourage actually using siege in normal stacks for the factions that are built around having good siege to force confrontations (dwarves with their low speed, chaos with its lack of foot ranged). At the faction level they likely gave more movement bonus opportunities via heroes in stacks and technologies/time to reach technologies to the ones they felt should be buffed there, leaving everything at the faction level rather than at the stack level. This also encourages more playing around with units than what could have been if they gave each monster its own movement costs on the map.

Yeah, I don't think this is actually happening in this game.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I'm bummed there isn't a faction with some kind of 'Home guard' upgrade which increases the radius that the garrison will contribute to the battles nearby. This would be hugely helpful when you have areas with multiple settlements near each other since you could take advantage of their upkeep-free forces.

I'm not sure if that's exactly what you mean, but the lightning strike skills do increase commander's reinforcement range. I'm not actually sure if that means the range from which they can reinforce or the range at which they can be reinforced, though. Also, IIRC, zones of control and reinforcement size are modifiable.

Kaza42 posted:

It would be really cool to have an alternate path to the Defense buildings that instead of providing a big garrison to one town, provided a few extra units to any battle fought in that province. Whether as reinforcements or just adding to the parent stack. I think it would be a cool way to create the feel of a heavily reinforced area.

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is any way to do this. It is, conversely, trivial to add garrisons to existing buildings via modding, so people could certainly make it so that, for example, every farm you built gave you a few units of militia in the garrison.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Question, how easy would it be to mod skill trees if you wanted to remove entire sections of filler skills or double/triple the effects per point you put in?

There are some skill points that are way above the rest and some that I don't even know why you would consider like in the combat section, the choice of 30% health or +9 charge, but the AI values both the same so your lords will become specialized murder machines and their lords will be picking their noses with -3% recruitment cost on the third moon of june.

Very easy, you just have to find the table and change the numbers.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mazz posted:

Awesome, glad you enjoy it. Let me know if you think anything should be reworked (this is an open invitation to any of you). Some guy in the steam discussions is telling me you can't upgrade Altdorf past the vanilla limit and that the mod is bugged, I'm going to use your screenshot as a response.

Worked fine in Altdorf for me.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ammanas posted:

I keep melee lords on the ground. They aren't as mobile but they won't suffer a penalty against spear units. Aura units benefit from mobility although most of the time your units will route before you can reinforce their morale anyway

I hate to break this to you, but I'm pretty sure anti-large applies to cavalry.

Unless you mean completely unmounted? In either case, the mount is definitely worth it. The bonus spear units get isn't particularly important given the stats melee lords end up with.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 10, 2016

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mazz posted:

Update on this

So I was able to get this far. Basically you can colonize towns like the occupy anywhere mod, you just never get the settlement tree past the ruins. As it stands you get no income, it does reveal the map, it has no garrison, and it works to stop attrition while you are "garrisoned" there. Unfortunately public order is an issue, since you incur all the regular penalties of a settled province with no recourse yet.

GOing to see if I can build out on superchains or something and get this further along tomorrow.

It's maybe not ideal, but I think you may as well just give it a large public order bonus. I mean, it still wouldn't be worth taking up an entire settlement slot in regions you could colonize with an actual town.

You probably need a garrison there, though, given how the AI is about attacking poo poo without one. Doesn't seem like it would be particularly imbalanced if you made them cost a little money.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 10, 2016

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mazz posted:

I'm hoping I can extend a build chain off of the common ruins and then isolate them by superchains being tied to either Human or Orc settlements. Basically the Orc factions don't see the watchtower unless they are interacting with a human settlement type, etc. If that works out I can get creative and do all sorts of building effects, even making them cost upkeep. It's a long shot but it might be workable, gonna take a lot of trial and error though I assume since all the chain/superchain stuff is weird to me still. Also it may just not work at all since chains don't seem to use branches anymore (I thought they used to in Rome).

Also yeah I'm thinking I'll give them a shitload of passive public order, since there are no regions where you have both settlement types anyway. I'll want to see if I can hide UI elements or anything like that or change the dialogue prompt to not always use colonize and cost 2500g, but that's all still a ways off. I wasted a lot of time yesterday trying to figure out if I could change the underlying ruins and it seems to be hardcoded. Also figuring out exactly which tables I needed to make a new building chain that worked alongside the major/minor settlements was interesting, and by that I mean loving awful.

I wonder if you could change it with a script that triggers when you occupy, but thats outta my league.

You could definitely have branching upgrades in Rome. I know that there are no branching upgrades in this game, but they may have left the functionality in? Might be worth testing if you haven't already; I believe it worked by defining multiple upgrade junctions. It's been a while, so I won't promise I'm remembering correctly, but I think superchains function as building categories and little else. The whole thing is sort of a mess.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it a little bit more, most of the functionality must still be in place since blank slots do have multiple building options.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 10, 2016

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

genericnick posted:

Does anyone know if Vassals lose the base funding? Because I'm finishing up a Dwarve (hard) campaign and I've been having significantly less fun than in my empire one. I don't think I want to build such a sprawling empire again if I can help it. I'll never understand people using the conquer anywhere mod.

Base funding from being AI? I don't think so. I agree with you, though, I really don't want to have more than five or six provinces if I can help it, but it's impossible in the base-game to vassalize anyone via diplomacy as far as I can tell.

I made a little mod for myself that makes the AI more willing to become a vassal if it's threatened (in the same sense that the AI becomes more willing to confederate if threatened) but only if you're friendly with them. I can post it up if anyone wants it, though I wont promise that the values are perfect. It seems to work so far in the Empire campaign I've been playing—factions that I'm on good terms who are about to get annihilated will request vassalization to keep themselves alive, which makes sense really.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Reik posted:

Also, I've almost exclusively used Quarrelers and am trying to learn Thunderers. Since their best targets will be engaged in melee, what's the best way to position ranged units shooting in to melee. Should I just run up the side and get behind them and start shooting them in the back? I usually keep my Quarrelers safely behind my Dwarven meat mountain.

That's an option, assuming that you've already dealt with any cavalry or whatever that might annihilate them. Most of the maps dwarfs fight on have hills or mountains you can set up on so that they can shoot over your line much better, though. Mind that Thunderers only do better damage than Quarrelers against armored units. I prefer Irondrakes over Thunderers for the most part, since the range difference isn't all that relevant when you can't shoot over your lines.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 10, 2016

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

sassassin posted:

Even then, shooting into the front of units isn't often the best idea. Flanking almost always gets better results.

Depends. Dwarfs have awful mobility, so if you're in a safe enough position to try and flank with your ranged units you've almost certainly won the battle anyway.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I did some testing switching out irondrakes and thunderers. Thunderers always performed better. Probably because 80 men with a higher refire rate doing like 25 damage each adds up to be more damage than 24 guys with a slow refire rate doing 110 damage each. You don't need to shoot over your lines. If you checkerboard a bit the AI will almost always attack the infantry. If they don't you can just pull them back and aim them to the side to shoot up anything coming around your flanks.

Based on their stats, Irondrakes (the Trollhammer variety) do ~40% more damage (and AP damage) per second compared to Thunderers, despite their smaller unit size, even before you factor in their explosive damage. Regular Irondrakes don't do very much AP damage, obviously, but they do a shitload of explosive damage—like, more than twice as much explosive damage as Quarrelers do regular damage.

I've found checkerboarding to be fairly ineffective against enemies with significant numbers of monstrous units, though it does work fine against Orcs.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hargrimm posted:

So how the hell is "a route from their capital" calculated that this doesn't qualify? I have a three-province long contiguous border with the Dwarfs.

As far as I can tell, it's based on roads. Because of the ground that the Bloody Spears control, I'm not sure there's a functioning route.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Raged posted:

What do dwarfs have to build to get walls on settlements? My settlements are all lvl 2. The only thing I have found under defense the watch room and guard room which I have found out the hard way do not give me walls.

Those only give walls once you upgrade them.

efbx2

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Deified Data posted:

I would kill for some sort of function that let you save custom formations, at least on a per army basis. I don't know how swapping out units or losing units would effect that. Or at least some means of automatically entering checkerboard.

Controls question - in videos when I see people move their grouped armies they seem to be able to move the highlighted placeholder wherever they like facing the same direction the army is currently facing. Are these people just using the arrow keys or is there some mouse combination that makes this possible? I've always found giving your army move directions even when locked to be terribly unreliable. Like you'll highlight a location and it'll be a mile off and turned 90 degrees from what you intended or something.

Hold alt.

Also all of the "advanced" controls for this stuff is listed in the settings.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Speaking of how do get that? My Franz is 26 and I've never had the quest pop but the skill is checked.

There is a bug with some of Franz's quests that prevents the next step in the chain from initiating. You probably finished one of the steps of the quest, clicked okay, and didn't notice that the next part didn't show up.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

If these rules are indicative of what they have in mind for balance changes then I think we're on a good track.

I don't know if the same people decided on the rules as decide on that sort of thing, but if so, this does seem to be an indication that CA has a much better understanding of the game's balance than most people give them credit for.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

The obvious faction targets, based on the files, are Kislev and Bretonnia. Even without the stuff in the files they'd be the most likely, since CA already has a shitload of human assets they can probably reuse. I'd be extremely surprised to see anyone else show up before them.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Vargs posted:

The AI thinks it is playing DnD and has formed adventuring parties to take back Gorssel from the vampire menace.

They wiped.

Are you running the mod that turns off aggressive actions for the AI? It makes the AI tend towards doing this.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

ZearothK posted:

Anyone here has given this Southern Realms mod a shot?

If so, does anyone know what the guy who made it means when he says that some units have "dynamic caps"?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mazz posted:

Probably that he limits the available numbers of units to armies/totals. It still exists in the files but I don't think the vanilla game uses it at all. I highly doubt he made it flexible or anything.

Yeah, I know about the extant cap system with X of such-and-such unit per player or army, but I was sort of hoping he figured out a way to make it more flexible than that.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Gejnor posted:

I wonder how much they are going to buff them, damage wise. Same with range actually, looking at current stats they are pretty darned short range at 150. They could easily double both damage and range and that'd make them quite decent without feeling OP i think, and thats quite alright given that they are supposed to be top tier units for the dwarfs.

Flame cannons already do a lot more damage than other dwarven artillery, a large portion of which is explosive. They would be broken as poo poo with double damage or double range, never mind both.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Gejnor posted:

I was thinking in terms of Hellfire Cannons when i wrote that who have about twice the damage (493 damage, 420 range), only thing is that they also only come 1x per unit so yeah i get how crazy that sounds damagewise however i do still stand by the range upgrade. 150 yards is waay too short range and even 300 is still on the shortrange side of things given that both cannons and grudgethrowers are 420, and organ guns are 275.

Flame Cannon explosions do about 70% of the damage an organ gun does on a direct hit. If they had enough range to repeatedly hit approaching infantry they would annihilate them.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Gejnor posted:

I don't agree.

If you were correct then Hellcannons would be super OP seeing as they have longer range (almost 3x as much) and their projectile not only does about the same normal explosive damage (Flame Cannon = 80 vs Hellcannons = 110) their AP Explosive damage is ten times as high (Flame Cannon = 20 vs Hellcannons = 200), they both have the same missile damage of 80 and once again when it comes to AP missile damage there is a vast difference with Flame Cannons doing a meager 30 versus the Hellcannons sporting an ungodly 260 again not far from ten times the damage.

Hell Cannons shoot slowly and, as noted, have a single unit. Adjusted for unit size and reload speed, Flame Cannons currently do about twice their explosive damage and about 120% of their non-explosive damage. A single unit of infantry also doesn't have all that much health (usually around 60), so the Hell Cannon's massive damage per-shot is mostly wasted against them. For each shot the Hell Cannon gets off, a unit of Flame Cannons shoots ~5 missiles, each of which wastes less of its damage on overkill.

Edit: Also, artillery is fine when lines clash if you tell them to fire at the ground instead of a particular unit.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 29, 2016

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I played this a bunch when it came out, but I've been waiting for them to finish releasing DLC before I came back to it. I've been enjoying all the poo poo they've added. I was wondering if there are any must-have mods around at this point. I think I've got the basics covered (camera mod, AI mod, etc) but the popular stuff on the workshop all seems to be reskins and unit mods of unknown quality—is any of it worth a poo poo?

Also, I'm sort of at a loss trying to figure out how to use beastmen effectively in the grand campaign. Anyone have any army composition recommendations? Their units seem to be at a distinct disadvantage in anything except an ambush, but I'm probably just doing it wrong.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Corrode posted:

Beastmen take a little while to get going, but once you hit a critical mass of minotaurs you're golden. Focus on blue line for horde growth first. Combine your initial two stacks and have the second lord just follow around reinforcing for xp.

This is what I did, as I remembered how important horde growth was from playing Chaos when the game came out. I'm far enough in the campaign to have access to all of the units, but I just can't find a force composition that feels good; it's fine if I can ambush or take advantage of vanguard deploy and mobility, but on maps that are more constrained (like some of the ones you get from beast path interceptions) even their beefiest units don't seem to cut it.

Edit:

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Some pretty cool quality of life & minor mods were released lately.
Thanks for this, I missed some of these while I was trying to sift through the workshop.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 17, 2017

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

http://www.honga.net/totalwar/warhammer/?l=en

It has a unit compare feature that lets you see stats side by side. Unfortunately, the way stuff is displayed is not always accurate (shield block chance is listed as armor, for instance)

I've been using this (you'll have to make a copy if you want to change the units on the first sheet) because that website makes me want to kill myself.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Or just break them up until smaller tribes. It's kinda dumb and tedious that the snowy northern vikings are regularly the richest nations around and fielding loads of stacks. Especially if you end up being the only person Skaeling is at war with, which has happened to me. It'd be less bad if their roster was more varied and fun.

The AI Campaign Balance Mod at least attempts to address their insane income. They really need a full rework to give them a better unit selection and more balanced economy, though. As it stands they probably need the economic boost so that they can accomplish anything at all with their garbage units, but I don't think anyone enjoys fighting stacks and stacks of horse skirmishers.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I know most of you are probably waiting on the new game, but I finally got sick of banners (the items your generals can assign to units, not the cosmetic things) being hot garbage and made a mod to make them (hopefully) more interesting and less poo poo. I also spent an unreasonable amount of time recreating the text treatment from the Total War Warhammer logo for the icon, so it has that going for it. I'm not actually sure if you have to have the DLC to use it, but I guess i'll find out.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

what do the new banners do? you don't have to list all of them, but one or two examples would be cool.

There are a few, in the screenshots for the mod (Hawk Banner is new, so is Bog Standard). Most of them add existing imbuements (like Sunder Armor on hit or Blind or what have you), though there is one new imbuement effect.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 16, 2017

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

Thanks all

Another vampire newbie question: I've been having a lot of fun so thinking of picking up the expansion that adds VC special regiments and Helman Ghorst as a lord.

Ghorst grants his army poison attacks. What does poison do, exactly? Does it affect undead? I'm also not sure how good crypt ghouls are, they have poison. There are also goblin and I'm guessing many other units with poison, it's just not clear to me what that actually does.

If you mouse over it on a unit that has it, it should tell you (there's a little icon on the unit card next to their melee attack or missile damage stat), but it applies the following for ten seconds on hit:
-18% AP Damage (Missile and Melee)
-22% Damage (Missile and Melee)
-24% Speed
-18% Vigour

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

madmac posted:

I'll admit, past the early game crush with other Empire Factions (who have no cavalry or monsters, typically) I switch over to Spearmen/Halberds and Flaggelants as my line units the rest of the game, with a few Greatswords in my main stack mostly to use against Chaos. I don't think Swordsmen specifically are all that versatile in the long run.

Swordsmen are pretty much hot garbage. A unit of swordsmen is substantially worse than a unit of plain old Goblins (they have a little more leadership, melee attack, and armor, but 20% less missile deflection and 30 less men).

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

I'd take the leadership, attack and armour over the missile deflection and unit count tbh. Also are you taking honest steel into account for those stats? I used swordsmen all the way through my campaign and they worked just fine

No, but I'm not including Skarsnik's goblin skills either. The increased unit size comes with an increase in unit health, and the armor difference is only 5; the point was simply that Swordsmen are on-par or worse than other militia units. Swordsmen do work just fine, they're just not very good for anything beyond tying up enemy units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

In a topic unrelated to militia units, now that I have the banners more-or-less squared away (there are tons more that could be added, but I don't have many ideas for new things that they might do), I have what I think is an interesting idea for how to implement musicians. I don't know anything about Warhammer lore, though, so I was wondering if one of you who does could tell me if there is anything I should know. Like, are there any factions that would absolutely not use musicians in battle (Vampire Counts seems sort of weird to me, but what do I know)? Do orcs have a religious belief in drums as the superior battlefield instrument? Does Bretonnia have a burgeoning bugle culture? I have no idea, maybe someone can fill me in.

Lynneth posted:

Is that steel faith compatible? Because I wanna use those in it.

It should be compatible with any mod you want. That is, it shouldn't cause crashes or anything (it doesn't overwrite any core tables), but if Steel Faith is modifying banners as well then whichever mod's .pack file comes last alphabetically will overwrite the other's changes.

Panfilo posted:

Definitely check out the custom settlements pack.

Which one?

Wallet fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 17, 2017

• Locked thread