Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

maybe this isn't the place for this

But I just read the latest entry on Paul Krugman's blog and he is right, the GOP have looked at Trump and said "Holy poo poo, we can gently caress over our own base as hard as we like, we're invincible"

and thus the new health care bill that will kill people so the 0.01% can get another tax break

like they've dropped the pretense totally, they might as well send supporters letters saying "yes, your uncle died, I don't care, gently caress you got mine"

my question (and it is also Krugman's) is what kinda dick-smack maneuver would actually clue in republicans that they have been betrayed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

bioshock
infinite
that's it :lol:

Oh lord that game is a mess

It is the Star Trek Voyager of games

It starts with great potential, but takes a gleeful joy in squandering it, and then you realize you'd just quit if there was not a hot girl around

The first two Bioshocks are good for ideas. The former is a great gently caress you to objectivism, the second I think tells a great story

The first I always think of when standing in line at the grocery store. I look at the magazines at the checkouts, and I think how many people would make themselves crazy if a unregulated technology developed to actually let you achieve all the unreachable things those magazines promise

Planescape Torment is kind of the gold standard for what you are looking for, though the first Deus Ex is also neat if you can tolerate the graphics from another time

Yes I'm old

The storytelling in Dishonored is also legit great, if not especially deep, if you like the idea of playing the Thief games but with superpowers

rudatron posted:

you might be better off, like, reading a book

This without snark

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've heard Bjork give an interview, and the Icelandic accent is wild

It sounds like it Scandinavian, but will switch randomly to a Scottish burr with no warning

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I am old because I'm sitting in front of a TV and there is a new Spiderman movie out and I'm thinking "WTF, is this like reboot #3?"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Venezuela: the way we make money is on the verge of completely breaking down

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-oil-tankers-insight-idUSKBN17K0CE

TL;DR: Oil infrastructure in their loading port is so awful they have to hand-wash their goddamn supertankers to clean all the leaked oil off of the hull, otherwise other nations won't allow them to dock

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Good News!

Something catastrophic nearly happened but didn't (aside from American health care)

In San Fransisco, a Air Canada Airbus tried to land on the taxiway instead of the runway next to it. At what was likely the literal last second, the pilots realized their mistake and pulled out of it. In the aviation megathread in AI, smarty pants posters marvel at how nasty this almost was.

Duke Chin posted:

The planes the Air Canada A320 flew over were in this order: UAL-1 a 787-900, PAL115 an A340-300, UAL863 another 787-900, & UAL1118 in a wee 737-900. So those first three tails he went over were even taller, no?

goddamn this was almost a nasty mess.

For the unsure, 787s and A340s are large aircraft with presumably lots of people on them

Sagebrush posted:

Yep, you are correct. A 787 and an A340 have almost the same tail height -- 56 feet above the ground (vs. 36 feet for the shorty 737s I used above).

jesus loving christ

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Al! posted:

if we privatized air traffic control this not happen

Two things:

America wants to privatize air traffic control :shepface:

The situation in ATC in America is so bad the controller's union is for it :shepicide:

The reason why American ATC is so underfunded is congress. American ATC gets funding partially from collecting fees, and partially from congress, and big surprise what was formerly poor performance from congress is now non-existent

Best case, privitization could actually work if it modeled itself on Canada's ATC, which believe it or not is widely considered the best in the world, and is this public/private hybrid that is managed quite well. Worst case, well, Trump brand ATC

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

There's also telepresence drones, normally I wouldn't say that but it sounds like even a pilot's license has some serious obstacles

you know what ***my*** :smithcloud: is

underwater robots are fukkin expensive - the most basic one that you sorta build yourself is like a grand

And that google dude is building himself a goddamn personal airship yacht and so now I can't do it first

:smithcloud:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mariana Horchata posted:

yep drones are one of those things that i didnt see coming like 10yrs ago, and they are only going to become cheaper and fancier...my excuse not to get into that was always the fact that my phone was ancient and unable to interface with them, which isnt a problem anymore - so now its basically just me not needing another expensive hobby at the moment. tho viewing the world from a remote perspective has always been a fascination of mine and obviously with a drone u can do just that quite easily and ofc beyond that have near endless possibilities - hmm now u got me going, i have a friend who has a couple that they built so perhaps ill request a little presentation and maaaybe ask to borrow one...

a grand for a basic underwater drone kit sounds reasonable...thats nothing compared with the money u burn on cars and cycles (or heaven help u, a boat) and im guessing the necessary underwater capability (and propulsion) = lots of specialized quality parts and tight tolerances to prevent it from sinking to the bottom never to return

That's it pretty much. Cheap electronics from china (and let's be honest, consumer demand) have really driven down the price of skydrones, but you really need things built to a p high tolerance if you want something useable under pressure. Unlike sky things too, you can't just use wireless. You need a big umbilical cable, usually to delver power along with telemetry. Oh speaking of power here is a canadian company that makes ROVs and their smallest model can use the power from a portable Honda generator as opposed to having its own power cabinet on a boat or being pluggable into the mains

not even first world problems, just deeply eccentric problems

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mariana Horchata posted:

also, right before leaving i caught what had to be these three helicopters in tight formation (seen in the vid below) that have apparently been buzzing around the city lately at very low altitude as part of some sort of hush-hush military training exercise thats been going on for the past few days - in fact i initially thought they were UAVs as they appeared to be just a hundred or so feet above the water and moving very fast...but it definitely had to be them - same sound with nothing seen aside from that red beacon light...ofc seeing the occasional black helicopter isnt that rare an occurrence but i definitely got some Deus Ex vibes seeing such a thing so unexpectedly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFlw4MsLBW8

:tinfoil:

I watched the video and thought "some sort of Saint's Row Mission" - you should post that in the AI thread

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

In the image thread the seal has been broken: a hot protestor

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Al! posted:

i sent a letter to an artist who i admire (and basically rip off see below) this week and i got a very nice letter back from him

Nice! Did you post it somewheres here on SA?

Also I found this:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mariana Horchata posted:

im glad u didn't be a hero Bebop...u should ask Lastgirl for tips on preventing future carjacking attempts tho :vuvu:

Just outta curiosity is that because Lastgirl is from South Africa [SA!!] and has a gun and one of those ball'o'flame anti-carjacking systems

I'm sorry to hear that Mr. Mr. Do all legal things.

My cousin and me used to bomb about in a similar era civic hatch, it was the really base model with a four speed stick and no radio from the factory

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mariana Horchata posted:

exactly what i was referring to

For Canada it lasted a crazy long time, too, it was durable as hell

It died the rusty death when brought to Nova Scotia

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mr. Bradley did you get your Civic back?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/08/junkyard-find-1986-honda-civic-1300-hatchback/

I'm building a plastic model of a Dodge Ramcharger

It was a blocky as gently caress truck that was in production for like 20 years with a single styling refresh

In Canada they rusted off the roads decades ago so I subsist on plastic

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Condiv posted:

i like building plastic models of robots

aka gunpla

I sorta wish all the people building small nerdy things could get together in a big thread

But if we did that, there would be a post once every twenty pages from a scale modeller, it'd be almost entirely youse small robot builders and mini-painters

PS> We have a really skilled model trains dude in the scale model thread and we've learned that it is incredibly easy to troll the average model railroader, they'd have your angry conservative uncle calling them reactionary

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think you'd want a simpler design that people could do different stuff with, like a GM or a Hi-Mock or something.

Or an (ed) Ball(s) but honestly the HG Ball kit kinda sucks.

It`s funny you mention the Hi-mock, the scale model thread did a group build of those and it was rad

Unkempt posted:

Here we go.

Ensign Expendable posted:

November just ran out, and you know what that means! Go, Soviet commubot!

Smash the invaders!

Even the toughest fascist beasts are no match for its strength!

Feel safe, comrades, knowing that the commubot vigilantly defends your borders night and day.

Base Emitter posted:

Hi-Mock + red metallic paint job + 1/24 truck accessories + 1/6 revolvers + low effort base

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Taintrunner posted:

It's like less than 10 bucks on some various gunpla sites, too. Mad doable https://www.cambridgelsat.com/bookstore/bandai-hobby-hgbf-1-144-hi-mock-model-kit/B00P5R148U/

OK lol why is a LSAT prep site selling Hi-mocks

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

C'mon, imagine the Jeb! hi-mock

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Matoi Ryuko posted:

i used to paint warhammer 40k figs but gave up before becoming acceptable as a painter. too expensive

I will admit to being slightly smug about warhammer, because *my* nerdy small thing hobby is so much cheaper

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Taintrunner posted:

you joke but I watched their Gamescom demo live and h o l y s h I t what a trainwreck

Here's a goon's video summary, it is good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ITxpWAieKo

TL;DR the demo crashes and they redo it from scratch, and the whole thing despite being scripted at nearly every point it was still a trainwreck

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

:thunk:

I updated my dead gay blog

It's very specific interest but it is fun to do for me. Latest post TL;DR: Nazis were bad at doing stuff

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Two regulars around here, Jose and Darkman Fanpage may be killed by hurricane Irma as both are in Florida right now

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jose is either not moving or trolling the hurricane thread masterfully

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Both but now thanks to a "mandatory evacuation order" he's actually trying to figure a way out of Miami

though he has decided to bet everything on getting out via Miami's airport, because it allows him more drinking time

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've never played FF7 is there a reason nerds are so obsessive over it

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Condiv posted:

the scratch and sniff stickers in the guidebook were so drat weird

Earthbound fans actually produced a guidebook, on paper, in the same style as the original down to the plasticine figures

I actually played Earthbound again a few weeks ago after not playing it for a decade, it is still brilliant and hilarious

punchymcpunch posted:

i think it was a lot of people's first jrpg, im pretty sure it was mine

got a huge push from the gaming press

the baddie was maybe the animeiest character ever made

Makes sense. My first JRPG was Secret of Mana, followed by FF6

I know my particular age bracket also has memories of FF2 or 5 or whatever, the first SNES one

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Condiv posted:

quote this if you actually gave the orange kid money

:argh:

"This stuff can really expand your mind, if you get my meaning. Buy my junk!"

"Hey, it's Apple Kid. I've invented something new. It's called 'Zombie Flypaper'."

"I'll hate you for the rest of my "life"."

I read in an article somewhere that the game's writer couldn't type, so he would say aloud lines, and then have them read back to him by someone doing the typing.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

punchymcpunch posted:

day crew

night crew

d&d

im orac

Well DnD has a self-described Nietzschian who doesn't understand Nietzsche so that tracks

lol the nitecrew is lead by a scheming sociopath and dies in a hail of gunfire

Still though if the nitecrew lives up to their rep, they are

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

we aint got a rep we just got what we do :cmon:

well so do the cast of Farscape

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

punchymcpunch posted:

tag urself im steven seagal jr

smooth-talking S&M skeleton

Scorpius is the best

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The fact that Crichton has been through so much weird, horrible poo poo (tortured, made into a statue where his head was cut off, mindfucked eight ways from sunday) that he's actually become a little insane is great

ScrubLeague posted:

There are like two really good episodes of Firefly and no one would give a poo poo about the rest if it got a second season.

Firefly is good

I only caught a few episodes of Blake's 7 as a kid, does it hold up?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Can I take it as read that everyone's favorite Star Trek is Deep Space 9?

I watched the episode "Civil Defense" last night. The idea that Gul Dukat has pre-recorded a whole series of auto contingency messages where he emotes and gets angry and makes bullshit promises and everything is one I've always found hilarious

I was thinking of making a CSPAM thread where you take a crack at doing the same thing with Trump doing the same thing, but the kids, they don't know the trek anymore

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

punchymcpunch posted:

the only star trek ive seen all the way through is babylon 5 i really need to find a few hundred hours and watch tng and ds9 properly

from the scattered eps i saw ds9 was a better show i guess. did it have any real ultra stinkers like tng did?

Absolutely

When you are making 26 44 min episodes a year they are not going to be all brilliant

The one known in the trek thread as "the one with the farmers with skin problems" and "the one where a alien energy being gets off with Jake writing" are bad

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also this is not CSPAM but I have to share my pain on this:

This is the commercial for Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, a beloved SNES game who's graphics look like children's drawings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPJJQHF4tTo

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

docbeard posted:

Speaking of Star Trek, I am now about 1 hour and 20 minutes into Star Trek: The Motion Picture (I've seen it before but not since I was a kid). It's got this reputation of being a slow-paced movie that isn't very good, but I think if you watch it with an open mind today, you'll find that it's a slow-paced movie that isn't very good.

It's a shame because there's a potentially great story in there (Kirk exploiting an emergency to take back the Enterprise and the actual captain being rightfully annoyed by this) but they don't really commit hard to it. And it just feels like no one involved actually wants to be there. The kid playing Decker is trying his best (and I can't believe it took me this long to make the connection between First Officer Will Decker who is sometimes at odds with the captain and who has an alien ex-girlfriend and First Officer Will Riker who etc. etc.)

Some of the space shots are really pretty though, which is good BECAUSE YOU'LL BE SEEING QUITE A LOT OF THEM. I just finished up a 15-minute sequence that was 'ten seconds of Space Cloud, ten seconds of random crewmember looking surprised or frightened, repeat forever'. McCoy wandered onto the bridge like twice to just stare at the viewscreen and left again without saying anything.

TMP is a mediocre TOS third season plot stretched out to two hours, I really despise it

You do get disco Dr. McCoy, though, that's a plus

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

oh yea!
that guy was great :3:

Andrew Robinson played Garrack, he was the villain in the first Dirty Harry film, he rules

DS9 is good because secondary characters get more development than some primary characters on TNG

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The time between the end of the original Star Trek and The Motion Picture, and the release of Half-Life 2: Episode 2 and today is now the same

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bilirubin posted:

I'm reading a good book right now.

Also stealth levels :suicide:

Oh you mean the antlions on the beach

I was really confused for a sec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005