Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ularg posted:

There should be a law that keeps all platforms of Titanfall 2 populated.

Its got my vote.

PS4 still going strong, usually 1.5k to 2k online. What’s really amazing is there are low level people in games, it’s not all prestige 99 superstars. Should be a free psn game already, share it with the masses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Speaking of under used loadouts - is there ever a use for Assault Chip? Even in co op it seems less useful than almost anything else.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can’t blame them for thinking they could compete I suppose. The game does everything CoD did at the time, and flat out does it better, plus more (obviously awesome giant robots).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Has TF2 ever been a free PSN+ title? I feel like it should be, but I don't think EA gets on board with the free PSN+ system.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I completely forgot that was even a thing I could do.

If your on ps4 you should also run off ethernet instead of WiFi. PS4 wifi is poo poo, I get mini warping when using it. Not in any other game though, maybe tf2 has a higher update rate than most games.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I’ve literally never used the Alternator - do you have a favorite total loadout you like to pair with it?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Soul Glo posted:

I just bought this game on sale, is it dead?

I'm fine if I just rebought the campaign since I last played it on PS4, worth it to play that again, but I did give them their $2.50 for the deluxe edition with what I assume is multiplayer doodads.

Quite active on both consoles, PC is pretty slim.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Pottsdam posted:

Should I get this for PC or PS4?

Gonna vote PS4. Player pop on pc is very low and dominated by the hardest of the hardcore. PS4 has ~2k usually on which can populate almost every mode.

If you only care about single player then maybe PC, but it runs at a solid 60 FPS on console anyway.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Very interested to see if they stick with one of the things that makes TF2 feel so drat good on console - 60 fps locked.

I guess Blackops 4 did it, but it looks like an N64 map compared to TF2 maps.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I could live without titans in a 60 player pilot fest. But if this is just BR: Grunt Edition and the closest thing we see to actual TF gameplay is a hero version of a pilot or titan imma be sad. :smith:

TF “grunt edition” could be cool as hell, even in a BR format. Pilots and Titians roam around as AI super bosses, while you and other shittty little grunts try to kill them.

However, I don’t think that is what we are getting. I guess we will find out soon.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
even if titans don’t make it in to start, who is to say they won’t make it in later?

everyone is chasing that fortnite money, and they have special event modes with all sorts of ridiculous poo poo. let’s cross our fingers

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

drat...I'm on the hype-train for a game I know nothing about. :ohdear:

speculate wildly friend you got like 1.5 hrs to go

For people watching the stream - did they show any characters yet? Does it look titianfally? Or like Overwatch?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Lol the Respawn dude sound like he got out of a re-education gulag

“We wanted to tell more stories in the Titanfall universe”... so we released a game in the style known for story telling, battle royal!!!

“We knew the details of the game would piss people off”... so we hid them!! (Instead of making something that would excite people?)

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 4, 2019

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Just loving release a TF2 free version or something or put it on ps+

Mordja posted:

Can you imagine, creating the smoothest, funnest movement system in a shooter and then having to delete it all because focus tests say it was too "confusing"?

THIS IS THE GAME WE WANTED TO MAKE

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Peechka posted:

Can you blame them though? Both titanfalls pretty much failed to deliver. Sure they might fo been great games, but $$ rules the world.

they both had release timing so stupid it’s almost inconceivable to intentionally pick a worse time

just like this one because bf5 has its br mode come out soon lol

maybe the founder of Respawn hosed an EA execs daughter and they are on a quest to ruin them

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

AdmiralViscen posted:

The founder of Respawn is the one who picked the lovely release date

I don’t think TF1 had a bad release date, it was the tent pole release of the XBone’s first Q1

you’re right, i just needed to exhale. still bummed there are no titans

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Did they say what engine Apex is running on?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Below is my review, I considered using a belt around my neck to partially restrict my oxygen in an attempt to forget TF2 exists, but instead decided on whiskey.

All observations are made on a on a PS4 poor because I enjoyed TF2 the most on that platform compared to pc.

pro Respawn level attentions to detail:
-turn off damage numbers options
-hud size options
- fov options
-ping wheel is pretty good, the way you can confirm people’s pings is slick
- transcribe voice to text lol that’s crazy as gently caress
- squad pick hero interface smartly done
- jumpmaster method to keep everyone together is elegant and cool
- movement seems fine (plenty of people freaking out about how it feels like poo poo, but it feels just like TF2 minus the wall run and double jump)
- activate-able 180degree shield while down is cool, combined with the ping wheel you can convey a lot of info while down
- special abilities for the classes are actually pretty cool
- they really made it easy to communicate info with teammates

Dumb poo poo:
- map looks like a generic as gently caress battle royal map, gotta have that desert zone, that swamp zone, ect
- ps4 poor FPS not stable 60
- LOD pop in on ps4 poor not great
- resolution on PS4 poor not great compared to TF2
- spawning with no weapon sucks in this context (its funny in PUBG when your trying to kill someone with a pan but doesn’t feel right in this)

Overall verdict: it’s both propped up and held back by its Titanfall heritage. Everything that’s a positive I cant help but feel like it would be MORE of a positive if it was more Titanfally.

All you need for Titans and jump jet pilots in the game:
- increase teams to 6 and allow a max of one pilot and one titan active per team
- teams earn points per x amount of time, you can spend points for call ins, including titans and pilots
- split titans into two categories small/large. Large titans can only be called in on the final x zones. Small titans can be called in anytime you have points.
- spawn random events where you fight over batteries or some poo poo to buff titans or gain call in points
- or make little sub classes like one dude who can call in grunt dropships or reapers ect

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Gunder posted:

Btw Titanfall 2 on PC is still very playable. The player population is small these days, but it’s still perfectly capable of matchmaking you properly. I thought it would be nothing but high skill assassins now, but it’s still very pleasant.

There is a lot of talk about the “high skill requirement” for the parkour poo poo in TF2, but I felt like the real genius of the game was that you didn’t have to be good at it. When I picked up TF2 on PS4 the last FPS I played on a console was something on ps2, so I stuck to the single player first. It was great, they somehow managed to nail the aim assist while wall running in such an amazing way i was doing cool as pilot moves in no time.

Multiplayer in attrition was the same. I thought I would be total poo poo, and I was, except you realize you can score a shitload of points by hunting grunts instead of getting owned by other players. Even if you lose the the match you get the little ‘run to the drop ship mini mission’ takes some of the sting out of a loss. The intro dropship gets you pumped up, killing little grunts is so key to making titans really feel badass, the playlist lets you select/exclude multiple modes and search for all (every multiplayer game should have this), just so many little details that really make it excellent and that Respawn really tried.

I see a lot of that attention to detail in Apex, it’s just unfortunate there are no giant robots.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 5, 2019

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
On the positive side TF2 has more players on PS4 than I’ve seen in a long time! Last night had 1k more than usual alright!!!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
anyone on PS4 who wants to throw down TF2 add captain__beans (yea that’s two underscores)

quote if you’re down to do cool pilot poo poo

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 6, 2019

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

We had a PS messages groups and were coordinating games a bit here and there but then eventually any time someone asked about a game a handful of people would leave the chat, and then there was none...

gently caress Titanfall 2 is so drat good. It’s not like it’s long but I have nostalgia for its niche release and larger player base

Is a PS message group the same thing as these PS communities they have now?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Eyud posted:

Titanfall 2 is a cool game to play, I think it's just the best

ya it’s dope

plus if you play tf2 your statistically more handsome than other gamers it’s true

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Things every single future shooter should steal from TF2:

- start every match with a dropship/helicopter insertion, play some bad rear end music, have a little pep talk guy and then start the match

- concessions for a smaller player count to enable AI troops is absolutely the way to go. TF2 only has 12 players in a match, but the AI troopers landing all over the map make the battlefield feel more “full” than some conquest matches in Battlefield conquest matches. The AI also makes players feel more badass because even poo poo players can beat up the AI.

Time to reinstall tittyfall 2

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:ssh:

but also "The Beacon" was Respawn's vertical slice for TF2

Was that the map where you fight schwarzenegger at the top?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Yea the level design for TF2 was off the chain. Not only are the maps great in general, but they so smoothly incorporate the wall running in interesting ways.

Pretty amazing really that Respawn heard the feedback from TF1 “needs a single player” and turned around and whipped out such a good one.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
THE BEST FPS GAME EVER MADE COMIN’ FREE TO ALL (with psn) IN DEC

Is this the first EA title to be free on psn?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
You don’t even need to be a super badass to be good at TF2 multiplayer (on console).

I literally had not played a FPS on console since almost Halo 1. No shooters on PS4 or PS3. They hit the absolute money spot on how the aim assist works when wall running, it feels great just running on the ground too. I tried to play Battlefield One after TF2 and the aiming felt like poo poo in comparison.

Plus you can just smoke AI and actually contribute to your team. If you are not getting killed and killing AI you’re actually contributing more to your team than someone who thrown down with enemy players constantly and dies 50/50. Even if the enemy team goes on a roll and has a full team of Titians up, now it’s pretty easy to hide and kill more AI mooks.

All at 60 FPS too, dang it’s a well designed game

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 4, 2019

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
there are other gadgets besides the grappling hook??????????

why

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

PopZeus posted:

Ok playing this game because it’s free and it rules. What’re some of your favorite load outs I should work towards?

Wall hack knife (whatever it’s called) and mastiff shotgun.

I’m trash and can’t really challenge people in straight up fights, but if I lurk in confined areas and wall hack I can one shot blast people as they come around corners.

It’s not pretty, but it gets me to my titan where I’m much better.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Do we have a ps4 in game network or PSN community group? Not sure which is better to get parties going

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The most satisfying is quick titan drop - but when an opponent kills their own teammates titan with it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
28k right now at 9 am cst, in the evenings it’s like 40-60k

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Try to just stay alive and kill grunts.

Sounds like a no brainer, but trying to not get killed is very different than running around to kill other players. For the guy who gets killed and can’t tell where from - try suggesting he stay in close ranges like inside buildings and run the scan knife.

You can also try out the other game modes, I have friends who only play the titan brawl modes because they are great in a Titian but terrible on foot.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 28, 2019

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Just picked this up and Steam and holy gently caress, does this thing have a learning curve.

Early on focus on staying alive and killing the AI grunts. Save your titan for when a teammate has at least one friendly titan also around.

I know it sounds dumb to suggest 'try to stay alive and not die' but it's very different than trying to aggressively seek out enemy players and challenge them in straight up fights. When you focus on staying alive you get a lot of time to practice doing cool parkour moves. Killing AI actually gives your team a great deal of points.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
holy poo poo 10k people are playing titanfall 2 right now on steam, thats more than even on ps4 when it was FREE

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Super Nintendo 64 posted:

This game rules.
I have a lot to learn though, my experience 50% of the time so far:
"Let me sneakily shoot this pilot/titan from this covert location"
Killcam: * zooming in on a glowing red idiot jumping around in the middle of a field*

In my first few matches my team and I kicked rear end and I was worried the skilled players had moved elsewhere. But I've noticed since level 10 I am now getting my rear end handed to me by invisible spidermen.
Is there any countermeasure to these spidermen other than also being spiderman?

Roll with the wallhack throwing knife and the mastiff shotgun and roam around indoors. You can leave the outsides to the spidermans and just blast them in the face with the shotgun, throw wallhack knife at a room you are about to go into and spot em

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

360 pilot rodeo punch on loop forever

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Whaaa I just tried multi like last week on ps4 and the matchmaker disconnected every time, I’ll download again and see if it’s working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ok so after the Apex trailer came out the Advocate network changed it's transmission to say "ERROR SENDING MESSAGE"
Now there's a new gamemode. The description is like this:

That's hexadecimal. The decoded message is:
"msg": "From Candy To Copper",
CORRUPTION DETECTED

The Candy anniversary is the 6th anniversary.
Copper is the traditional gift of the 7th anniversary.

The 7th anniversary of Titanfall 2 is Oct 28, 2023. This Saturday.

im scared

if they make a TF3 can it possibly be as good as 2?